Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Training Camp Practice Updates - 2011

So how do we get your blog app on an iPhone?

Search for TexansChick or something?

I have little idea. Need to ask the spouse.

I've noticed that reading the blog on mobile devices looks better since the WordPress redo. Also there is a full RSS feed button on the bottom right of the blog that they added. I don't add the widgets to the blog, but the Twitter feed widget has become handy.

Actually, upon further review....

I think it was pretty good coverage. I don't think Schaub was the QB on that play. Pass was a bit high, not sure if it was the QB, or AJ, or Carmichael disrupting the route ran by AJ.

And there was no hand fighting right at the snap. Carmichael holds off on being handsy until AJ makes his move inside. Then you can see Carmichael's left hand hooking the right elbow of AJ...but then Carmichael turns his head and keeps his head turned to the QB the rest of the way--Which I think would prevent the ref from throwing the flag.

Not too shabby.

I might try to film this and put it up for you guys to see. Should be able to do it in the next hour.

I think it was pretty good coverage. I don't think Schaub was the QB on that play. Pass was a bit high, not sure if it was the QB, or AJ, or Carmichael disrupting the route ran by AJ.

And there was no hand fighting right at the snap. Carmichael holds off on being handsy until AJ makes his move inside. Then you can see Carmichael's left hand hooking the right elbow of AJ...but then Carmichael turns his head and keeps his head turned to the QB the rest of the way--Which I think would prevent the ref from throwing the flag.

Not too shabby.

I might try to film this and put it up for you guys to see. Should be able to do it in the next hour.

It's probably already up on NFL.com somewhere.

Uploading it now.

Should have a link for you guys in a few minutes.

Thanks to Sony HandyCam Hi-Def camera and iMovie. And me.

Not too shabby.

Sounds like at least semi-competent DB play. NICE!

Link to video.

I am not leaving it up long, so take a gander and enjoy.

Will likely remove it in the morning after you geeks have checked into your offices and browsed your usual content to start your day off.

Defensive holding. Period.

...oh and here's a rep pt for ya
oops; "must spread rep" etc, etc...

By the way, at the end of the normal speed clip...I added a 50% slow motion clip so you can see it better.

Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson made national headlines on Tuesday morning after leaving practice with a dislocated finger.

In the end, it was much ado about nothing.

“He’s fine,” Texans coach Gary Kubiak said after the Texans' Tuesday afternoon practice. “He dislocated his finger, obviously, so we took him to the hospital this morning. He’s back, has it bandaged up and probably is going to miss a day or two of practice until we make sure there’s no infection and it calms down. He’s fine. He’s going to be OK.”

Johnson was injured in the morning when a pass from rookie quarterback T.J. Yates hit the tip of his finger. He attended the Texans’ indoor afternoon practice but did not participate.

“It’ll just be a couple of days, because my bone broke the skin,” Johnson said. “I didn’t have to get any stitches or anything like that. (As) soon as I felt it pop, I felt it out of place and I popped it right back in. I didn’t know the bone had broke the skin until I took my glove off, so I really wasn’t in a lot of pain or anything like that. It was just more concern about the bleeding.”

Johnson chuckled when asked about the stir that his injury caused in the media.

“I heard about that,” he said. “When I got back to the stadium, I was eating lunch and saw it on ESPN that I was carted off the field and stuff like that. I had a lot of text messages and people asking me if I was OK. I’m fine; it's just a finger. I’ve played with a bum ankle, so I don’t think a finger will keep me out.”

Free agent update
On Tuesday morning, Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith confirmed that the Texans are pursuing fullback Lawrence Vickers and defensive end Ty Warren. Kubiak was asked for an update on the two free agents in the afternoon.

“Vickers is here,” Kubiak said. “We had him here today, and he visited with me at lunch and visited with Rick. As we came out to practice, we were talking to him. He’s a good player. There are other people talking to him, but we have some interest in him, so we’ll see.

“Ty Warren, same thing. It’s our understanding that he’s making a trip as we speak. I think he’s in Kansas City, but we have interest in Ty. I actually talked to him at lunch today too, so we’ll see how it goes.”

Health check
Inside linebacker Brian Cushing sat out of Tuesday's morning practice but was a full participant in the afternoon walkthrough inside the Methodist Training Center. Cushing, who’s still on the mend from offseason knee surgery, followed the same schedule on Monday.

“Brian’s taking all the walkthrough sessions right now,” Kubiak said. “He’s a few days away. I’ll just have to let you know day-to-day. He’s the one guy that we had that wasn’t quite ready to go on the field, so we’re just trying to take our time.”

Cushing, Johnson and a host of other players missed time on Tuesday.

“Like I tell the players all the time, you’re one play away from getting a chance to be a starter in this league,” Kubiak said. “(Dorin) Dickerson worked as a starter today. Jason Allen got sick. (Sherrick) McManis worked as a starter today. Wade Smith got sick on us last night. We’ve got a little bug going around. Shelley Smith is starting at left guard. That’s the NFL. We’ll go back and see how they did, but it was a great opportunity for those guys today.”

Quotable
“I feel better. I feel natural back there. I just feel like that’s what I was born to do.”
-FS Glover Quin, on his transition from cornerback to safety

"I'm able to see things that I wasn't seeing last year. The game's kind of slowed down for me. Once we break out of the huddle, I'm taking things into consideration and I'm seeing things a lot more. So it's slowed down a lot for me."
LINK

Link to video.

I am not leaving it up long, so take a gander and enjoy.

Will likely remove it in the morning after you geeks have checked into your offices and browsed your usual content to start your day off.

I'm going to rep you for that when I am not on my phone. If the system let's me.

But on the play. . .he didn't need to hold there. I though he was in good position. I like the fact that our corners are playing up on the receivers though.

That's a call that he may or may not be able to get away with in the heat of a game.

Not a whole lot can be gathered from that play though. It was a pretty obvious route. Gonna be a whole lot different when the real bullets start firing.

I'm more interested in seeing Brandon Harris playing with the starters.

I'm a little disappointed in the coverage of the second day of camp. I know the Andre injury is important, but that doesn't mean it has to be the only news to report.

He said mcmannis was running with the ones. Are they trying him at safety? Hmmmmm.
Specifically, he said McMannis was running with the ones only after Jason Allen got sick. That would make him 4th on the depth chart: Joseph (out until league year starts), Jackson, Allen(who was sick), McMannis.

Thanks for posting that GP. He might have hooked AJ a little bit but Roc was playing him tight and looking back. I think he looked dadgum good for day 2 but like Rey said, may be a little different in real time when the bullets are live.

Specifically, he said McMannis was running with the ones only after Jason Allen got sick. That would make him 4th on the depth chart: Joseph (out until league year starts), Jackson, Allen(who was sick), McMannis.

He was playing safety.

So was Allen. Looks like mcmannis is third on the depth chart at Fs.

I don't know exactly what they are doing but it seems as if those guys are safeties now.

No. He has the job because hes the best we have.

Who do you think should have a fair chance to take his spot from him?

There is almost nobody behind him that would warrant having a shot as a starter which I think is the problem.

It's just a thought, I mean we did hand KJax the job last season because we literally had nobody else until we picked up Jason Allen. I have more faith in Watt as a starter as you can see that happen with DL players much more often with success than you see with DB's but still, just a thought that I had.

There is almost nobody behind him that would warrant having a shot as a starter which I think is the problem.

It's just a thought, I mean we did hand KJax the job last season because we literally had nobody else until we picked up Jason Allen. I have more faith in Watt as a starter as you can see that happen with DL players much more often with success than you see with DB's but still, just a thought that I had.

At this point, there is no one that they could bring in that would start over watts. But I get what you are saying.

With Kareem last year I think they had opportunities to have better players at the position, but they dropped the ball.

I can't think of many ways that they could have realistically challenged watts. Ty Warren was too costly. They could have gone after a FA, but that would have taken away from manning and Joseph.

At this point, there is no one that they could bring in that would start over watts. But I get what you are saying.

With Kareem last year I think they had opportunities to have better players at the position, but they dropped the ball.

I can't think of many ways that they could have realistically challenged watts. Ty Warren was too costly. They could have gone after a FA, but that would have taken away from manning and Joseph.

It's pretty much true, there's not that much FA 5-techs on the market really to challenge him, and especially none that I would want in place of new secondary pieces. I'm not going to say that cutting Okoye was the wrong move because he was making too much money and it's doubtful he would've been more productive in that spot than Watt, but just hearing that he was basically starting with the 1's as soon as he inked his contract gives me stomach cramps.

If Ty Warren was serious about vet minimum that would've been a fantastic sign to make sure that if Watt needs more learning time he would get it without being a hole in the defense.

The Texans needed a vet CB last year to start over McCain.
That would have allowed Quin and Jackson to split time at the beginning of the season while Jackson learns the trade (additionally, one of them can play some nickel.)
McCain can give them a breather now and then and also play the dime.

The weak link was McCain, and he was promptly replaced when the Texans picked up Allen.

NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Ben Tate has been working as the 4th RB so far in camp. Kubiak: "It's a very competitive situation."

He was playing safety.

So was Allen. Looks like mcmannis is third on the depth chart at Fs.

I don't know exactly what they are doing but it seems as if those guys are safeties now.

It's weird to hear Vance Joseph talk about Allen play CB for the whole year and now they're running him at safety???

How does that help him?
What the heck is their plan?

It's weird to hear Vance Joseph talk about Allen play CB for the whole year and now they're running him at safety???

How does that help him?
What the heck is their plan?

First few days of camp they could be trying out different stuff to see what sticks while they wait on JoJo and Manning to come in and practice tommorrow.

****, it's not like the safety play was all that last year so if they are trying to see if any of the guys that were on the roster last year have any value ANYWHERE in the secondary I ain't complainin.

Last year was like the WORST year for CBs in FA. It was Leigh Bodden, Dunta Robinson, and Phillip Buchanon and a bunch of RFAs. I think Smithiak made the mistake of thinking that they could lure Bodden away and didn't really have a plan B.

Even though I didn't think Dunta was worth the money, in hindsight I think the only other option we had was to franchise Dunta again and I think Dunta might have had a bad season out of spite if they had done that.

Jason Allen off the street was probably the best move they had after:
1) Not franchising Dunta
2) Not getting Bodden

The Texans needed a vet CB last year to start over McCain.
That would have allowed Quin and Jackson to split time at the beginning of the season while Jackson learns the trade (additionally, one of them can play some nickel.)
McCain can give them a breather now and then and also play the dime.

The weak link was McCain, and he was promptly replaced when the Texans picked up Allen.

All of the corners had less than stellar years. They needed a veteran to replace kj so he didn't have to start out the box.

If I'm not mistaken Allen also took reps away from kj towards the end of the season.

First few days of camp they could be trying out different stuff to see what sticks while they wait on JoJo and Manning to come in and practice tommorrow.

****, it's not like the safety play was all that last year so if they are trying to see if any of the guys that were on the roster last year have any value ANYWHERE in the secondary I ain't complainin.

Allen has played safety already for the Dolphins.
If they want to see options at safety then they need to watch the other guys like McMannis for example.
If they have long term plan for Allen at CB, why bother having him at safety in camp?

Last year was like the WORST year for CBs in FA. It was Leigh Bodden, Dunta Robinson, and Phillip Buchanon and a bunch of RFAs. I think Smithiak made the mistake of thinking that they could lure Bodden away and didn't really have a plan B.

Even though I didn't think Dunta was worth the money, in hindsight I think the only other option we had was to franchise Dunta again and I think Dunta might have had a bad season out of spite if they had done that.

1) Not franchising Dunta
2) Not getting Bodden

Dunta said he didn't mind being franchised again.

But that wasn't even their only option. As bad as Fred Bennett and reeves played, they would have been better options than McCain and Jackson were last year.

The texans had options. They weren't forced to go with the kiddie corners.

But I don't wanna get on the whole "the safeties failed kj" thing because I'm not buying it and I'm sure you guys are firm in your position. These were the same safeties as the year prior so if they failed kj and made him look worse than he was, then they failed every other corner and made them look worse too.

Allen has played safety already for the Dolphins.
If they want to see options at safety then they need to watch the other guys like McMannis for example.
If they have long term plan for Allen at CB, why bother having him at safety in camp?

Are you as upset about this particular thing as you are making it out to be on this board or are you embellishing your feelings a little bit? If they want to see, with their own eyes, if a guy who was a 1st round pick that was cast off by the Dolphins can play safety for the Texans then more power to them. These are brand new eyes on our secondary and coaching them up and I don't think it should be that upsetting they are putting Allen as a S in the system for some reps here and there while they don't even have their full secondary participating in drills.

Relax man, 420 smoke lobster everyday.

Are you as upset about this particular thing as you are making it out to be on this board or are you embellishing your feelings a little bit? If they want to see, with their own eyes, if a guy who was a 1st round pick that was cast off by the Dolphins can play safety for the Texans then more power to them. These are brand new eyes on our secondary and coaching them up and I don't think it should be that upsetting they are putting Allen as a S in the system for some reps here and there while they don't even have their full secondary participating in drills.

No, I am not upset.
If anybody is upset, it would be someone who likes to see Allen at CB!

Personally, I realized that Allen can be an option at safety.
So why would I be upset?!? :smiliedance:

Yeah, but IIRC, the team has indicated that they think part of his problem was that he was moved back and forth between safety and CB in the past, and they wanted to see what he could do if he only had to play at corner.
Him practicing at safety at all is contrary to what they have said about him.
Don't have any links to back this up right now, and no time to dig anything up at the moment.

Yeah, but IIRC, the team has indicated that they think part of his problem was that he was moved back and forth between safety and CB in the past, and they wanted to see what he could do if he only had to play at corner.
Him practicing at safety at all is contrary to what they have said about him.
Don't have any links to back this up right now, and no time to dig anything up at the moment.

I think JASON said that, not the coaches. I could be wrong about that, though.

I look at Jason Allen like I'm sure the Bears are looking at Amobi Okoye right now. We will practice him wherever we want, and if he does decently enough he's got a spot.

Now with Allen the Texans are probably trying to see if he's going to be a starter like last year, or if they have enough promise and potential behind him that he might have to find a different spot in order to get on the field. Who is our depth behind Quinn and Manning at the safety spots, Troy Nolan and . . . is Dominique Barber still on the team?

My guess is, much like the Dolphins have discovered and fans that watched him play last year, the Texans don't think Jason Allen is that great of a CB.

All of the corners had less than stellar years. They needed a veteran to replace kj so he didn't have to start out the box.

In that case, they needed two veterans, not one!

I preferred that the Texans don't give a CB a starting role right off the bat.

If they really need to, they need to either:

(1) play cover 2 so they can protect the young corner.
Llike Manning did for the Bears - I watched a few more of his games, and in one of them, Collingsworth remarked that the Bears are not built to have corners on an island.
Or like what the Pats did for McCourty.

(2) have at least a veteran on the other side who would see more one-on-one action while a safety can help out the rookie in coverages other than cover 2.

Another way to play a rookie is how the Browns used Haden.
They started him out in the nickel.
When he played CB (in the early games), they gave him one task on any given play; whether to blitz, to play the run, or to drop back in coverage (without having to worry about the run).
They didn't ask the rookie to take on a full plate in the early stage of his career.

I look at Jason Allen like I'm sure the Bears are looking at Amobi Okoye right now. We will practice him wherever we want, and if he does decently enough he's got a spot.

Now with Allen the Texans are probably trying to see if he's going to be a starter like last year, or if they have enough promise and potential behind him that he might have to find a different spot in order to get on the field. Who is our depth behind Quinn and Manning at the safety spots, Troy Nolan and . . . is Dominique Barber still on the team?

My guess is, much like the Dolphins have discovered and fans that watched him play last year, the Texans don't think Jason Allen is that great of a CB.

This I can agree with!

In that case, they needed two veterans, not one!

I preferred that the Texans don't give a CB a starting role right off the bat.

If they really need to, they need to either:

(1) play cover 2 so they can protect the young corner.
Llike Manning did for the Bears - I watched a few more of his game, and in one of them, Collingsworth remarked that the Bears are not built to have corners on an island.
Or like what the Pats did for McCourty.

(2) have at least a veteran on the other side who would see more one-on-one action while a safety can help out the rookie in coverages other than cover 2.

Another way to play a rookie is how the Browns used Haden.
They started him out in the nickel.
They gave him one task on any given play; whether to blitz, to play the run, or to drop back in coverage (without having to worry about the run).
They didn't ask the rookie to take on a full plate in the early stage of his career.

One vet starter would have pushed everyone down the depth chart a peg.

It means nothing right now and I will not fully form an opinion until I see some pre season action, but ive heard from a few different sources that kjax is sucking at practice.

Now let me say this. I fully expected Kareem to be the starter opposite Joseph. Maybe a bit naive on my part, but I thought he would play well in that role with those safeties behind him.

If k jax isn't getting it done that scares me a bit.

Again, getting roasted in practice does not say as much as getting roasted in the games.

I want to see how he really looks in a game situation before I panic.

1) Not franchising Dunta
2) Not getting Bodden

^^^

This!

Back