Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Training Camp Practice Updates - 2011

There have been other reports that Mario is NOT as explosive. That would not be surprising, as it is generally thought that a 3-point stance lends itself to greater explosiveness.

I don't know that I would grasp onto Winston's comment seeing that he has shown vulnerability to any semblance of bull rush in general.

I'll wait to see him at least in some preseason action against #1s to form opinions, and at least a couple of games into the season to form conclusions.

I am not sure that is relative. Regardless of Winstons efficiency, he has been up against the before and after first hand now. Not sure whom elses comments I would put up against than the actual tackle who feels his rush up front and personal.

There's no way Mario is less explosive, if he looks that way it could be he's thinking a bit too much- which would be expected and will go away with reps/experience

Cush being less explosive isn't surprising. Anyone that has had even minor knee surgery will tell you it just takes some time. I wouldn't be surprised if Cush starts a bit slowly but gets better each week as he fully recovers

I am not sure that is relative. Regardless of Winstons efficiency, he has been up against the before and after first hand now. Not sure whom elses comments I would put up against than the actual tackle who feels his rush up front and personal.

This is why I was listenting to him (this time). He's seen both Mario's, DE and OLB, so he would have a good idea of the difference. It doesn't matter how he plays against others-he know's Mario.

Regarding Mario, or any other player for that matter, just watch and see what they do in the preseason games.

Then watch and see what they do in the first two games of reg season.

After that, you're pretty much going to know what you have.

And if Mario sandbags it this year and is ineffective...we hope that JJ Watt replaces him well enough that we can let Mario go play somewhere else...saving us the salary cap problems.

It's a win-win. He's either going to become the guy, in Wade's defense, that he needs to be (to be considered a truly "great" player) or he'll render himself too expensive for us to keep when the Barwins and the Watts of this team outperform him in the 3-4 defense.

If Wade Phillips hit a homerun in this past draft, adios Mario! We can't keep everybody, but we damn sure can't keep guys who want to be paid veteran #1 overall pick money either (if they aren't worth it).

Regarding Mario, or any other player for that matter, just watch and see what they do in the preseason games.

Then watch and see what they do in the first two games of reg season.

After that, you're pretty much going to know what you have.

And if Mario sandbags it this year and is ineffective...we hope that JJ Watt replaces him well enough that we can let Mario go play somewhere else...saving us the salary cap problems.

It's a win-win. He's either going to become the guy, in Wade's defense, that he needs to be (to be considered a truly "great" player) or he'll render himself too expensive for us to keep when the Barwins and the Watts of this team outperform him in the 3-4 defense.

If Wade Phillips hit a homerun in this past draft, adios Mario! We can't keep everybody, but we damn sure can't keep guys who want to be paid veteran #1 overall pick money either (if they aren't worth it).

Something alot of people are forgetting is that its a contract year for Mario. There will be no sandbaggin, and we will see maybe the most effort out of the guy we have ever seen this year. Seems logical anyway right?

Something alot of people are forgetting is that its a contract year for Mario. There will be no sandbaggin, and we will see maybe the most effort out of the guy we have ever seen this year. Seems logical anyway right?

Or, he could get off to a slow start and be so discouraged that he decides to pack it in and say "I don't fit the 3-4 scheme. I need my 4-3 back."

Then watch the 4-3 teams line up to pay him whether he had a good year here in 2011 or not. Teams will think "Well, we didn't have to give up a draft pick for him...so we'll just pay him a bunch of money and see what we get!"

Never underestimate a human's rational or irrational "thinking" when it comes to money. We do whatever it takes to get what we want. And we justify it. Mario is no saint. His agent isn't either. It's ALL about the money. Period.

Or, he could get off to a slow start and be so discouraged that he decides to pack it in and say "I don't fit the 3-4 scheme. I need my 4-3 back."

Then watch the 4-3 teams line up to pay him whether he had a good year here in 2011 or not. Teams will think "Well, we didn't have to give up a draft pick for him...so we'll just pay him a bunch of money and see what we get!"

Never underestimate a human's rational or irrational "thinking" when it comes to money. We do whatever it takes to get what we want. And we justify it. Mario is no saint. His agent isn't either. It's ALL about the money. Period.

Yes, and if its all about the money, packing it in is not really an option imo.

Yes, and if its all about the money, packing it in is not really an option imo.

Boy howdy, I sure think it COULD be an option if he gets off to a poor start.

It's about money. He starts off well, he rockets into outer space. He doesn't get sacks, fewer tackles, etc., and you could see an attitude shift.

People are flawed. When we're up, we're up. When we're down, we're down.

For our sake, I hope he knocks this year out of the park. But I am cautious in the sense that, in the end, it's about money and he and his agent will adjust strategy if necessary. ESPECIALLY if a guy like JJ Watt goes bananas opposite him.

Boy howdy, I sure think it COULD be an option if he gets off to a poor start.

It's about money. He starts off well, he rockets into outer space. He doesn't get sacks, fewer tackles, etc., and you could see an attitude shift.

People are flawed. When we're up, we're up. When we're down, we're down.

For our sake, I hope he knocks this year out of the park. But I am cautious in the sense that, in the end, it's about money and he and his agent will adjust strategy if necessary. ESPECIALLY if a guy like JJ Watt goes bananas opposite him.

I would think that a negative shift in attitude or "tanking" would be a bad stance to take in terms of presenting your overall value. I am not really even expecting that sort of crossroads to happen tbh. There is way more value in proving your worth as a 3-4 OLB in congruence with his success in the 4-3.

I believe Mario is licking his chops right now. And if the worst case scenario does play out... we willl not allow him to just leave, and they know that. He would still be franchised imo, and his trade costs would be high at that point. He doesnt have alot of room imo.

I would think that a negative shift in attitude or "tanking" would be a bad stance to take in terms of presenting your overall value. I am not really even expecting that sort of crossroads to happen tbh. There is way more value in proving your worth as a 3-4 OLB in congruence with his success in the 4-3.

I believe Mario is licking his chops right now.

I don't think he would make an obvious "tank job" or anything.

I just think he could be susceptible to maybe begin laying plans for a departure, which amounts to less focus and less desire to really turn up the heat.

I'm just saying that "Contract Year" does not just 100% translate into a guy playing way above his past rate of performance all of a sudden. He's in a new defense in his last year of contract. Plenty can go wrong.

I don't think he would make an obvious "tank job" or anything.

I just think he could be susceptible to maybe begin laying plans for a departure, which amounts to less focus and less desire to really turn up the heat.

I'm just saying that "Contract Year" does not just 100% translate into a guy playing way above his past rate of performance all of a sudden. He's in a new defense in his last year of contract. Plenty can go wrong.

I get the devils advocate role, I do. Nothing is ever certain. But when you are drafting in fantasy football and you cant decide between two equal players, I always go with the player in a contract year over the other. You hear it all the time in general football talk for a reason. While the future is unwritten, its not a factor to simply sweep under the rug here either.

I get the devils advocate role, I do. Nothing is ever certain. But when you are drafting in fantasy football and you cant decide between two equal players, I always go with the player in a contract year over the other. You hear it all the time in general football talk for a reason. While the future is unwritten, its not a factor to simply sweep under the rug here either.

No.

You must agree with me. NOW.

Don't you have patients that you should be seeing? LOL... Is that why it takes so damn long when I go to the doctor? They make you wait in the room, sitting their...snooping through the drawers for what feels like an eternity before the doc finally comes in. I guess you all are just cruising around the MBs. That's cool, I totally understand!

:spit: No kiddin

Just got back from having my patient wait for the past 4 hours, just so that I could reply to your posts. He's upset. BTW, I gave him your names and addresses. He'll be the one out in front of your homes wearing the hockey mask and holding the blow torch.:fingergun:

Just got back from having my patient wait for the past 4 hours, just so that I could reply to your posts. He's upset. BTW, I gave him your names and addresses. He'll be the one out in front of your homes wearing the hockey mask and holding the blow torch.:fingergun:

:lol: Great, that's all I need

Thanks Doc for such an unselfish act! :tiphat: :winky:

Doctor: (Looking down at his iPad that contains patient data) "Well, let's see here..........

Patient: "Yes?"

long pause

Patient: "Doc? What is it?"

Doc: (Continuing to glare at iPad screen) "Hmmmm....."

Patient: "It's bad, isn't it? You don't want to tell me, do you? Doc?"

Doc: (looking up at patient, smiling) "Oh, I was just trying to remember the name of the smilie emoticon for that chick who pulls her hair out of her skull because she's so mad at what someone just posted."

Patient: "So I'm gonna' be OK?!?!?"

Doc: "Oh hell no, you've got maybe two weeks. Tops. Say, do you know what that smilie is?"

Sounds like Foster is starting to smell himslef.

Man i thought I was the only one that noticed! I hope I don't get blasted for this but the man is walking around like his **** don't stink

I dunno. Reading text of a quote can easily be taken out of context. I wouldn't be so quick to thump to any conclusions.

Mind you, I'm not saying that either of you are wrong, but it's hard to interpret these kind of things when you're reading text of a second hand quote.

Also, I'd be playing it conservatively if I were him anyway. He is playing for next to no $$$, in a contract year and not bitching about being underpaid like Chris Johnson.

Absolutely no reason for Foster to take unnecessary risks. Just get 100% healthy.

I dunno. Reading text of a quote can easily be taken out of context. I wouldn't be so quick to thump to any conclusions.

Mind you, I'm not saying that either of you are wrong, but it's hard to interpret these kind of things when you're reading text of a second hand quote.

Also, I'd be playing it conservatively if I were him anyway. He is playing for next to no $$$, in a contract year and not bitching about being underpaid like Chris Johnson.

Absolutely no reason for Foster to take unnecessary risks. Just get 100% healthy.

And I would say he's doing that because that's the message he got from his boss, Kubiak...
Head Coach Gary Kubiak
(on RB Arian Foster) “I thought he looked good. We told him to be smart when he came out here today. It looked like he was fine, so hopefully every day’s a progression and we work towards Saturday night. It’s a good step in the right direction.”

Remember, we have a softness reputation to maintain. Can't have him going 100%, people will think we're trying to be tough or something.
:sarcasm:

I agree with you. My comment wasn't saying his strategy was wrong.

Just saying that he is starting to feel like a prized possession.

Nothing wrong with feeling fresh to death and too hot to touch. Especially if you can back it up.

He's not a fringe guy any more and despite people wanting him to do it another year, it appears that the team views him as the golden goose.

Keep in mind that this is a guy with a different perspective on life and a bit of an odd ball sense of humor. When asked how many reps it will take him to get ready for the season he answered "62 man 62. This is real science you know". Giving answers like that and being told to be moderate in what he does probably precipitated the response.

Does anyone know if Tate is practicing today?

That dude's beginning to piss me off. If he practices I'd make him play most of the game Saturday. Give Foster a series or two then make Tate carry the load the remainder of the game.

We never know how injured a player is....

Agreed, but all of these guys have to learn to suck it up and play through injuries. It comes down to how bad do you want it. Maybe he feels that since he was drafted high that he won't get cut if he can't/won't play. On the other hand, you see someone like Foster, who was scared to miss a game last season for fear of losing his starting spot. He played through injury and that's what football is about. Granted, playing through an injury within reason. Tate may be expecting to be 100%, all of the time, but that's not the reality of an NFL player. Those guys are sore and dinged up on a regular basis. I think the mental part of the game (the make-up of the player and willingness to push through the pain) is what seperates those that are average from great.

Agreed, but all of these guys have to learn to suck it up and play through injuries. It comes down to how bad do you want it. Maybe he feels that since he was drafted high that he won't get cut if he can't/won't play. On the other hand, you see someone like Foster, who was scared to miss a game last season for fear of losing his starting spot. He played through injury and that's what football is about. Granted, playing through an injury within reason. Tate may be expecting to be 100%, all of the time, but that's not the reality of an NFL player. Those guys are sore and dinged up on a regular basis. I think the mental part of the game (the make-up of the player and willingness to push through the pain) is what seperates those that are average from great.

There is playing through pain of bumps, bruises, and pain but pulled hamstrings are just not something you can play through as a RB. All you are doing is asking you to rip/tear the hamstring even worse.

Nothing like an internet warrior lecturing pro athletes about intestinal fortitude.

There is playing through pain of bumps, bruises, and pain but pulled hamstrings are just not something you can play through as a RB. All you are doing is asking you to rip/tear the hamstring even worse.

I think CND and OtisBean have also alluded to the ways muscles in areas are inter-connected (for lack of a better word that I am sure exists!).

If you have a jacked-up hammy, you could injure your groin by not letting the hammy heal. I think that's what was being said elsewhere, along the same lines as this conversation.

Weakness in one area can cause an adjoining or complimentary area to work harder or do more of the load (or to not have the support that's usually provided by nearby muscles/ligaments). So one type of injury can potentially bring about new injuries due to the ways the body works.

IIRC, this was being discussed at like 3 or 5 a.m. between CND and OtisBean, and it got overlooked by a lot of people. Hope I am representing the conversation correctly.

If so, then it means everybody needs to re-think their concepts of what it means to merely "suck it up" and fight through an injury. The last thing we want is any of our premiere starters, nor our depth players, trying to come back too soon during 4 weeks of preseason games. Gonna' need everybody once the games start counting for real.

Studdard might be done for weeks, maybe the whole season, and it will have meant his injury happened in an instant...during the very first half of the very first preseason game. Injuries can happen anywhere, any time. But if a guy is dealing with an injury, it makes sense to slow down if you can afford to.

Getting back to practice and game-day updates:

NickScurfield Nick Scurfield
Kubiak said Jean will be competing right next to Dorin Dickerson when he wakes up in the morning

So it looks like the Texans' RBs vs. Saints will be Foster, Tate, Ogbonnaya & Javarris Williams, who signed last week

On Braman:

Not to mention he plays with a crazy motor. His teammates & coaches have taken notice. He's eager to prove Mon night was no fluke

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said this afternoon that LB Brian Cushing (knee) is "ready to go." Final decision on his availablity to be made tom

I think CND and OtisBean have also alluded to the ways muscles in areas are inter-connected (for lack of a better word that I am sure exists!).

If you have a jacked-up hammy, you could injure your groin by not letting the hammy heal. I think that's what was being said elsewhere, along the same lines as this conversation.

Weakness in one area can cause an adjoining or complimentary area to work harder or do more of the load (or to not have the support that's usually provided by nearby muscles/ligaments). So one type of injury can potentially bring about new injuries due to the ways the body works.

IIRC, this was being discussed at like 3 or 5 a.m. between CND and OtisBean, and it got overlooked by a lot of people. Hope I am representing the conversation correctly.

If so, then it means everybody needs to re-think their concepts of what it means to merely "suck it up" and fight through an injury. The last thing we want is any of our premiere starters, nor our depth players, trying to come back too soon during 4 weeks of preseason games. Gonna' need everybody once the games start counting for real.

Studdard might be done for weeks, maybe the whole season, and it will have meant his injury happened in an instant...during the very first half of the very first preseason game. Injuries can happen anywhere, any time. But if a guy is dealing with an injury, it makes sense to slow down if you can afford to.

Rep is indicated. You, my good sir, have essentially represented an excellent basic summary of some of our "conversations." Being too much of a warrior can make a player an ex-warrior very quickly..........sometimes permanently.

Rep is indicated. You, my good sir, have essentially represented an excellent basic summary of some of our "conversations." Being too much of a warrior can make a player an ex-warrior very quickly..........sometimes permanently.

Amen to that! Good post by GP as well!

There is a significant difference between pain and injury. Pain is the burning in your legs as you run a quarter mile or the feeling of wanting to puke when training at max intensity. If you want to be the best you need to learn to "suck it up" in the presence of pain.

Being injured is a whole different animal. When you tear muscle fibers you have to let them heal properly. If you don't you risk further damage to that muscle or the muscles that work in conjunction with the injured muscle. Given what these athletes are paid I would rather give them the time to heal properly and return to a functional state then have them "push through" an injury and risk being placed on the DL for the season. These forces these athletes place on their bodies are incredible. They need everything to be working properly for optimal performance.

We can steamroll the 9ers if we play starters 3 quarters.

It's not even fair, actually.

Of course, this is IF the new d-coord makes sure the players remember to play hard and take nothing for granted. First two games, IMO, he has prepared them and coached them well.

We can steamroll the 9ers if we play starters 3 quarters.

It's not even fair, actually.

Of course, this is IF the new d-coord makes sure the players remember to play hard and take nothing for granted. First two games, IMO, he has prepared them and coached them well.

Careful. Remember that we had trouble stopping the Saints' running game. Frank Gore is coming to town and he's more of a load than any of the Saints' RBs.

And previously (pre-Wade, admittedly), we have had a bad habit of making young, sucky QBs look like pro-bowlers.

If this were regular season, I'd call this a trap game.

Careful. Remember that we had trouble stopping the Saints' running game. Frank Gore is coming to town and he's more of a load than any of the Saints' RBs.

And previously (pre-Wade, admittedly), we have had a bad habit of making young, sucky QBs look like pro-bowlers.

If this were regular season, I'd call this a trap game.

Miami is the trap game this year.

I see four possibly losses, just on strength-of-opponent:

1. Steelers

2. Ravens

3. Saints

4. The 2nd Colts game at Indy.

The other 12 games could be wins for us (SHOULD be wins for us)

But wait! There's MORE!!!

You always lose a game or two you shouldn't, which I count as follows:

1. Browns

2. Miami (We're 5-0 lifetime on them)

3. Raiders

BUT WAIT! THERE'S EVEN MORE!!!!!

You also win a game or two you shouldn't or might not normally win:

1. Any or all four of the first group of teams I listed at the start if this post.

All of that is to say that this year's Texans COULD post anywhere from an 11-5 to even a 12-4 or an unlikely 13-3 record if God is willing.

Even at 11-5, it could win the division if the Colts/Jags/Titans do not perform well on their own schedules. To me, the Titans are likely to be the worst in the South. Jags have no sacks this preseason, and in fact have not even remotely pressured the opposing QB thus far (Del Rio says there's no problem, but Kubiak is also saying Mario is lookin' good too, so ya' know....). That leaves the Colts--If Manning goes on PUP at Week 1, he's out until Week 7, IIRC according to reg season PUP rules.

I don't see the Colts throwing Manning against the Texans 3-4 defense in Week 1 at Reliant. Not after spending the bank on him just recently. That neck can't get jacked up like Theisman out there, or that's money wasted and a QB gone...likely for good, if they throw him against WP's defense in Week 1.

This year, with changes of true VALUE being made on the defense, stands to be the year that Kubiak can let loose and throw all his magic beans into the ground and see what grows. I hope it's a beanstalk that leads to the playoffs.

Back