Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Training Camp Practice Updates - 2011

I totally agree that Cushing is smaller. A lot smaller. I remember those predraft workout videos the networks were running all the time and he looked huge. Now...not so much. Honestly makes me want to hide my Cushing signed football a friend got for me.

CASEY!!!!! AWESOME!!!! Ok, I think he's the real deal and I never understood why Kub didn't use him more often last year.

must spread rep
:o/

Two things.
1. The LBs worry me. Most are at new positions, learning new responsibilities. That could mean a lost split second thinking before reacting. That's pretty much all it takes to get you beat in this league. I wonder if the 1's will get more P/T in pre-season to make the adjustment.

2. Vickers was brought in to be the Leach-replacement-unit. Casey isn't giving up his spot with the 1's w/o a fight. So we're either keeping two FBs or four TEs depending on how Casey is listed. If that happens, what other position will we be cut short? QB maybe... and stash T.J. on the practice squad??

QB? I hope to heck NOT. If Schaub goes down and we get rid of Leinart, we won't even be left with an entertaining pipe dream.

I totally agree that Cushing is smaller. A lot smaller. I remember those predraft workout videos the networks were running all the time and he looked huge. Now...not so much. Honestly makes me want to hide my Cushing signed football a friend got for me.

CASEY!!!!! AWESOME!!!! Ok, I think he's the real deal and I never understood why Kub didn't use him more often last year.

I'm having a problem calling most anyone on the team (only a couple notable exceptions) as the "real deal" until I see them facing and executing against another team, a stronger bigger team, a historically consistent team, a winning team......not just in preseason (which can be a joke in itself) but in full 4 quarter regular season competition when the other team is not just experimenting but actually going for the throat. Color me cynical.........after all, I AM a seasoned Texans fan.

Sorry, I misinterpreted you as meaning get rid of a QB and stash the other on the PS. I need to drink more water, my brain is dehydrating. Hate when that happens.:mcnugget:

that's more likely due to my poor command of English. I meant we only keep the Matt brothers on the active roster and stash T.J. on the P/S.

That's strange that there would much of a noticeable difference. Barwin is listed on official roster as 6' 4" 254 and cushing 6' 3" at 260.

Official heights and weight are about as right as injury reports when coming from NFL teams. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody copy/pasted last years numbers for the website.

2. Vickers was brought in to be the Leach-replacement-unit. Casey isn't giving up his spot with the 1's w/o a fight. So we're either keeping two FBs or four TEs depending on how Casey is listed. If that happens, what other position will we be cut short? QB maybe... and stash T.J. on the practice squad??
The 3rd QB is a given. Whether it's Yates or someone off the waiver wire remains to be seen. While Daniels, Dreessen, and Casey have been fantastic, Graham and Hill have been underwhelming from what I've seen. At best, they're fighting for one roster spot. And I could see a scenario where they're both gone, and a blocking TE comes in off the waiver wire

Barwin is bigger and Cushing smaller for sure I saw both of them.
To be fair to Cushing, he's been re-habing his knee this offseason and not able to workout as he normally would. Still, someone should take note of Barwin's workout regimen. Because whatever it is, it's obviously working.

gary,

Wait a second here! So you're in a photo with Matt Leinart and no bikini babes with you guys??? Matt owes you an apology.

Glad you've been updating us on training camp. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Jon Gruden.
8132011232.jpg

damn he let u wear his SB ring :specnatz:

gary,

Wait a second here! So you're in a photo with Matt Leinart and no bikini babes with you guys??? Matt owes you an apology.

Glad you've been updating us on training camp. Thanks for sharing your photos.

Maybe.

Orrrrr... just maybe Gary has enough sense not to post the hottub/bikini photos. Gary ain't sayin' and I ain't askin'.
:fingergun:

Some notes on individual players from this morning's (8/13) practice. Really, pretty much a walk-through considering that there's a game on Monday.

JJ Watt - Seems just a little quicker, stronger, and more energetic than anyone else on either side of the line. Coming from Wisconsin, you would think he would have to adjust to the searing heat. Not so. Regarding rookies, we've heard the term "pro ready" tossed around here before. Looks like Watt really does fit that description.

Brian Cushing - I can't help but say that Cushing looks smaller than before. Also, he looked lost in zone coverage at times. It was a walkthrough without real hitting, so put this in perspective.

DeMeco Ryans - Also looked smaller than I've seen him in awhile. Seems ahead of Cushing and the other ILBs in pass coverage.

Connor Barwin - Barwin looks huge. But still very fluid. I think Connor could be on the verge of a breakout season.

Brooks Reed - Rookies were hurt the most by the lack of offseason workouts and camps. A guy changing positions, like Reed, is really setback. Brooks looks lost at times, stiff as well. I don't expect much from him this season.

Kareem Jackson - Still the starting LCB. Will he stay there once Joseph comes back from injury? Did a nice job of blanketing Dreessen. Had a more difficult time with Kevin Walter.

Mario Williams - Saw him drop into coverage a few times. Won't surprise me if the Texans don't show that look more in the preseason.

Tim Dobbins - Good size and moves around pretty well. Running 2nd team, and could become the top ILB off the bench.

Quinton Demps - Demps caught my eye from the start, working with the D-line in pass rush drills prior to practice officially starting. Demps took some snaps at nickel LB and returned a kickoff, as well. I think he makes this team as the top safety off the bench. Demps probably would have started on many Texans teams in the past.

Matt Schaub - Nails. Wrap him up, put him to the side, and break him out on opening day.

Matt Leinart - Been getting rave reviews, but I see a lot of checkdowns and hesitancy. Don't be surprised to see Leinart take a few sacks against the Jets.

TJ Yates - Let me say that I do see the talent. He has the best arm on the team and can thread a needle if he can see the play. Usually, TJ looks lost, hesitant, and inaccurate. He needs reps and Yates is getting a ton in practice. At least a year away from giving the Texans anything.

Javarris Williams - Almost as squatty as Ryan Moats. That's really all I've got.

Lawrence Vickers - Got a few carries in single back sets. Didn't look too bad, and actually turned the corner on a sweep.

James Casey - Looks like the starter at FB. Gives the Texans so much versatility, as the defense really won't know where he will line up. Caught everything today and was uncoverable by the LBs. Along with Connor Barwin, gets my preseason Breakout Player of the Year award.

Kevin Walter - Looks great. Quicker than I've seen him, may have lost weight. Very much in sync with Schaub.

Lester Jean - Just keeps making circus catches. Has the body and the hands to be a WCO receiver. I'm officially on his bandwagon.

Jeff Maehl - Reed thin, but has more explosiveness than you'd think. Ran past fellow rookie Brandon Harris on a go route, but Yates missed him.

Not much on the linemen, because it's really tough to evaluate them in this setting. Really, a listless practice. Hopefully, a day off the practice field on Sunday makes them fresh on Monday night. Can't wait for some football, even if it's preseason.

Lucky, wow man. What great coverage and analysis. Thanks a million.

My replies to your post (above) are:

1. It sounds like JJ Watt takes no snaps off, and no days off either. I have YET to here that this guy was sandbagging it, or having trouble against his man, or not doing something to impact a play. It sounds like we have a huge winner as a 1st round d-lineman pick...something that is a rarity outside of the Mario pick. Call me knee-jerky, but he could end up being better than Mario.

2. Barwin represents, in my eyes, what Jason Babin was expected to be during the Casserly era. A big, brawny, "fast" guy who hits people hard. There are two guys I am keeping my eye on--Barwin is one of them.

3. The other guy I want to watch closely, and root for, is James Casey. If the Vickers signing did anything, it damn sure has probably made James Casey sit up and pay attention: Win the job, or it will go to Vickers at some point. I don't foresee the Texans desiring to "give" either guy the FB role, but I am sure James Casey has made the Vickers acquisition a motivator. In fact, I think they're planning on using both of them fairly evenly. Casey represents a Jack of All Trades type guy who can play TE, HB, and FB. He's the guy you want to keep healthy because he can replace an injured TE. He can play FB. Etc. He's one roster spot, but three potential uses. I think he plays Special Teams too, right? If so, that's FOUR positions. Damn!

4. I am a bit bummed that we won't see Schaub vs. Jets. I want to see guys like Lestar Jean and Toliver and others out there running routes with Schaub throwing the passes to them. I want to see what can happen IF we need one or two or three more guys to get out there and run with the 1st team QB at the controls. I think it could actually HELP get them onto our 53-man roster. With Leinart at QB, like you said, we might not see all that those WRs can really do. But, I understand that we have got to protect #8 in preseason.

Overall, there just is this very real "buzz" about this Texans team this year. In years' past, the only buzz was the one we generated ourselves by drinking heavily and fantasizing about what "next year" will bring us. This year, there's a change. I remember last year, Kubiak, during camp, DAILY pissed and moaned about how bad the team's "tempo" was and how nobody had urgency or motivation out there on the field. Haven't heard that one bit this year. He seems genuinely pleased.

I think fans need to be ready for the very real possibility that we can lose our first game. Running our QB2 out there (Leinart) vs. the Jets, with no Arian Foster, could mean we score like 3 points. And I'm being serious. I am fully prepared to see the media talking heads hanging their heads and saying "Same old Texans!" on Tuesday...but I really think we're going to be running QB2, hardly any Andre Johnson at all, no RB1, hell maybe no RB2 either, no Cushing. It could be a boring night for Texans fans.

JJ Watt, therefore, should get a lot of reps and we can see him work his magic. Even at that, he might be pulled after series number 2 or something.

I just don't think our coaches are going to risk injury to our 1st teamers in preseason game 1. Damn sure not against the Jets. I can see Kubiak waving a symbolic white flag toward Rex Ryan by putting 2nd and 3rd teamers out there all game long. "Eff you, Rex. I'm not going to get my guys out for the year with injuries just to try and beat you in preseason game 1. Suck my toes."

I just don't think our coaches are going to risk injury to our 1st teamers in preseason game 1. Damn sure not against the Jets. I can see Kubiak waving a symbolic white flag toward Rex Ryan by putting 2nd and 3rd teamers out there all game long. "Eff you, Rex. I'm not going to get my guys out for the year with injuries just to try and beat you in preseason game 1. Suck my toes."

you DO know that Rex is into that, right?

....or maybe that's why you said that
:thinking:

Overall, there just is this very real "buzz" about this Texans team this year. In years' past, the only buzz was the one we generated ourselves by drinking heavily and fantasizing about what "next year" will bring us. This year, there's a change. I remember last year, Kubiak, during camp, DAILY pissed and moaned about how bad the team's "tempo" was and how nobody had urgency or motivation out there on the field. Haven't heard that one bit this year. He seems genuinely pleased.

Not completely true. I listen to Sirius 88 pretty religiously and there has been heavy expectation for us the last three seasons. That contributes to why we don't get any respect.

So many analysts have jumped off our bandwagon because we can't get it done.

That being typed, they'll all be chasing us like a fat kid does the ice cream man if we do it this year. Let's go!

Painekiller
08-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Yesterday was not an easy day to report on. They did a large portion of the practice on the south side of the field, thus my position near the 20 on the north side bleachers was not a good seat for that part of practice.

If you saw the chron.com report of practice yesterday you got most of my observations.

I will add a couple of notes I remember, The running backs on the field yesterday, Ward, Slaton and Chris Ogbonnaya, all looked sharp. Slaton is showing the burst he had as a rookie, and has had some big runs in camp. Ogbonnaya is showing speed and quickness I do not remember from his days at Texas. Tate is still on the sideline and he is losing ground. He is in desperate need of reps, and Slaton has been able to secure his spot as at he number 3 back. Not saying that Tate will be cut or is a bust, just saying he is falling further behind.

Holiday had a huge punt return that highlighted his speed, he hit the seam and he was gone no one could get near him, he is going to have to do that in the games a few times to make this team.

The UDFA WRs that the scouts secured are all pushing for that #5 WR spot. I am glad that I am not having to make this decision. Jean, Maehl and Toliver are all making cases for making this team. I have Jean slightly ahead of Toliver on the outside, and Maehl is a slot guy that is an upgrade over Anderson right now. So keeping all three will be tough.

Right now my favorite UDFA defender is Bryan Braman. He is at worse a practice squad guy. He is old for a rookie, 25, but he is showing a huge motor and great quickness at the OLB. He had another big play today, a sack.

I have to say, I am not seeing Mario flash in camp in the team drills. Could it be why he is getting called out by AJ?

Sorry Keith, but no big report on Harris. That does not means he has done bad, but the plays I watched him on, he had solid coverage and no one challenged him with a throw. So he did not have any big plays, just solid plays on a consistent basis. I guess that is a report.

Keo is not getting any return work with the ST which is surprising me. They are working Quin on punts, go figure.

Our high priced free agent DBs appear to worth every penny, and I agree with all the hype in the paper, The opening day starters at CB will be Joseph and Allen. I don't see that Jackson is consistent enough to get on the field as a starter yet. And I am not calling Jackson a bust, just not the 2nd best CB we got right now. Jackson is looking better than last year, but not as good as Allen right now. And in the NFL you never have to many CBs.

Oh and Watts...........

painekiller 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Biggest news today was Casey appears to have hurt his ankle. It looked like his ankle rolled on a catch late in practice, and he was very slow in getting up. He laid flat for a at least 30 seconds before getting up. He was helped off the field, but was walking with his weight on the ankle. He was limping. Not sure how bad it was.

News flash, Maehl dropped a pass today. And TE Hill actually caught one.

I want to point out Allen was working with the 1st team, but so was Jackson. I did not see Joseph in team drills. Not sure if I just missed him or what. Jackson had a real nice day. He stripped AJ on a few occasions. Like I said yesterday, he has improved. It's amazing what a pro coach can do with raw talent.

As for Harris, I watched him on a large number of plays. In team drill late in practice they played it like a game, the #2 offense in a 3 wide set got the ball on the 20 and they had to work against the #2 defense in a nickle package. Harris was on Maehl who has had a wonderful camp. Harris covered Maehl and keep him from being involved in the game. I think Maehl was targeted on one play and Harris broke it up. Brice was working with the #1's nickle.

Mario was back out there today. I'm still not seeing him making plays. Barwin has looked like a beast.

A note on Casey, he was working only with the 2nd team today. And Vickers was blown up again today, second time this week I've seen him blown up. Not just beaten, but blown up.

Leinart is a good solid backup, and Yates is still looking good.

Ward and Ogbonnaya both looked great again. So the OL is looking solid in the run game.

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306&page=4

I didn't see this posted unless I missed it
Houston Texans’ Training Camp: Who’s in, Who’s Out
By Mike Cardano
Executive Director
August 13th, 2011

NFL Scout Jayson Braddock appears in his regular weekly spot on the Dylan Gwinn show this week talking Houston Texans football and the NFL.

In this week’s spot Jayson goes over his observations of the performances of both the players and coaches in training camp as he has observed them as they prepare for a Monday Night Football game against the New York Jets.
http://thexlog.com/201108130925/xtr...ouston-texans-training-camp-whos-in-whos-out/

Interesting......

@espn_afcsouth: Antonio Smith on Sirius Radio right now talking about playing some nose in nickel situations. #Texans

http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306&page=4

Aren't we ALL into that???

I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate....
:D

Totally off topic, but too good to resist

Vincent: Have you ever given a foot massage?
Jules: [scoffs] Don't be tellin' me about foot massages. I'm the foot f#ckin' master.
Vincent: Given a lot of 'em?
Jules: **** yeah. I got my technique down and everything, I don't be ticklin' or nothin'.
Vincent: Would you give a guy a foot massage?

yeah that audio is not all kool-aid.

he did say that Jacoby is running crisp routes

No it isn't.
The whole Brooks Reed "looks lost" and "...plays like a dead fish..." was quite disturbing. And then the "we all know what Tate can do when he's healthy, but when is he healthy..?" remark. Something to watch.

Harris sounds like he is coming along nicely for a rookie DB.

I wish they'd post a transcript.

Nice find Wolf.
again.

No it isn't.
The whole Brooks Reed "looks lost" and "...plays like a dead fish..." was quite disturbing. And then the "we all know what Tate can do when he's healthy, but when is he healthy..?" remark. Something to watch.

Nice find Wolf.
again.

I wonder if Brooks Reed is suffering from being a bit undersized (I have heard many here say he's smaller than our other LBs) AND that's working in conjunction with him being a rookie?

Started out of the gate OK, beginning to fade a bit...camp wears on, hot day after hot day, etc. Not excusing him or anything. Just saying that it's possible he's not handling the pro game's rigors like other guys are. Could be a conditioning situation. Could be climate change--He's played college in a dry climate (mostly) and Houston is humid.

I think he will be fine. I think he makes the 53 man roster.

What I am bummed about is that Toliver is supposedly slipping a little each day. Surely we keep more than 5 WRs? AJ, JJ, KW, DD, Jean, and Maehl (6th guy). And pray Toliver makes it to PS.

I wonder if Brooks Reed is suffering from being a bit undersized (I have heard many here say he's smaller than our other LBs) AND that's working in conjunction with him being a rookie?

Started out of the gate OK, beginning to fade a bit...camp wears on, hot day after hot day, etc. Not excusing him or anything. Just saying that it's possible he's not handling the pro game's rigors like other guys are. Could be a conditioning situation. Could be climate change--He's played college in a dry climate (mostly) and Houston is humid.

I think he will be fine. I think he makes the 53 man roster.
Could be that he's the rookie suffering the most from not having OTAs. That would have been valuable time to learn the playbook and acclimate to our heat.

What I am bummed about is that Toliver is supposedly slipping a little each day. Surely we keep more than 5 WRs? AJ, JJ, KW, DD, Jean, and Maehl (6th guy). And pray Toliver makes it to PS.

I seem to recall Kubiak specifically saying that the first three WR spots are settled and the last two were still up in the air.
This isn't the exact quote I recalled but it gets the msg across - it was after Saturday morning's practice...
(on WR Lestar Jean making plays) “He’s continuing to do that. He’s a big body kid and I’ve had some of the DBs come over to me and say ‘Hey coach, that guy is tough to handle.’ So, he’s got a lot of ability, he’s got that big body, y’all saw that catch he made this morning so there’s going to be two young receivers on this team so it’ll be interesting to see who they are

If a sixth WR makes the team it'll have to be with Coach Joe's bunch.

Wow, obsi.

So Kubiak is saying AJ at 1, JJ and KW at 2 and 3 (regardless of "order").

And that leaves Dorin Dickerson who just has GOT to be at spot 4.

Meaning one last spot for either Jean, Toliver, Townsel, or Maehl.

Yikes.

Jean at spot 5, and maybe Townsel on Special Teams returning kicks?

No it isn't.

Nice find Wolf.
again.

on that day of practice
said both Matt's struggled that day

He didn't know why they tried a lob a pass to Holiday in the end zone and McMannis took it away

He doesn't get too excited with special teams because it is not full speed ahead and they aren't tackling and reason you see some break one

HE wants to see Chris O (OB27)in live game action, (he looks good in practice but..
)
KJ looks bad and figure they are trying to give him a all the time to get better and have him loss the job. KJ's strengths, inside 15 yards ,with safety help, he is more physical ,can stay with the cuts and looks good. However with no safety help.. he can't do it on his own, and has to have over the top safety help. KJ doesn't have elite speed and can't keep up,However has looked better than last year.

He thinks Jason Allen and McMannis (could make a push) and says Wade and Gary are seeing that now

he wants to see Joseph in a game, in practice he seems disinterested at times

He loves the coaching staff

he did say that Jacoby is running crisp routes and has a swagger, still has some drops ...does look better

Brandon Harris-looks like a talented rookie.(looks good, but still has rookie mistakes) and looks like Nickel roll is what the coaching staff likes him as

JJ Watt looks like he is NFL ready.. he feels now he is top 3 top 5 "NFL ready" players.

Conner looks great and Wade told him, that they haven't dropped him or Mario much in practice and just had them rush and they look insane. They should lead the league in tip passes with Conner,Mario, and JJ coming down on the QB.. (bunch of skyscrapers on the edge).. they are getting their hands up and said for some reason the guys didn't get it last year (getting hands up) and this year they are getting it.

Brooks Reed-looks lost, he doesn't know if he is second guessing himself, doesn't know the playbook, and when he looked at the game film of him, you see the spin move, you see the speed rush, the bull rush and now you see him .. he looks like a dead fish. he said the reason that Reed got the INT in practice was that he stood in one spot, didn't rush the passer, just drop in coverage but was in open spot and Leinart didn't see him and the receiver ran behind brooks. Matt threw it into his stomach, Brooks ran 5 yards and Jeff Maehl tackles him and Brooks fumbled. Brooks is miles behind the top 3 rookies.

Last edited:
continue on the fast cliff notes

West Texas a&M linebacker Bryan Braman has a long way to go but is outplaying Brooks.

Cushing isn't ready(per Kubiak) and doesn't look explosive, Adibi is flexible.. playing outside and took Mario out and he thinks that if they aren't rushing the passer and need a LB to drop, they would bring in Adibi to cover and take Mario out.

reasonable expectations for the defense is 2009 (no exactly ceiling).. ranked16 would be fine with the offense like we have. Just have a defense that can stop people. not like last year where offense would score with 2 minutes left and no confidence the defense would stall them,much less stop them. Defense now is actually picking off passes this year instead of knocking the ball down. T.O. win the game

Ben Tate (when asked if Tate won't make the team).. Foster is good and we know what he can do, Ward is the slowest, but is the veteran and has patience and able to get the tough goal line yards, OB27 (what he is calling Chris) looks good but needs to see him in a game. Ben Tate is so dynamic when healthy, but when is he healthy? Slaton looks to be back to his rookie year form and is not juking and making moves, but making the one cut and going downhill. (but he did fumble that day). Kubiak didn't want to trade him for a junk pick and wanted to see if he could return to his rookie form and wants to see him in game form.

----------------

whew.. I hope that isn't too hard to read.. I was going fast.

Last edited:
Is anybody else worried about the reports concerning Mario?

...nothing special?

Anyone have other observations? According to recent reports, it sounds like moving him to LB wasn't such a great idea. On paper, it looks great, and I was all for it. We'll see.

...nothing special?

Anyone have other observations? According to recent reports, it sounds like moving him to LB wasn't such a great idea. On paper, it looks great, and I was all for it. We'll see.

Kubiak said he's been exceptional, if that counts for anything....

...nothing special?

I've read mixed things about him . What I really think is they were going to let Mario try it and if he couldn't play it , they have a 3 man rotation at the 5 .

Will somebody please rep this man for me.
Done.

Adibi is flexible.. playing outside and took Mario out and he thinks that if they aren't rushing the passer and need a LB to drop, they would bring in Adibi to cover and take Mario out.
Look, I wasn't out at practice everyday, and I'm not saying this guy didn't see this. But...

There's no way Mario is going out of the game on passing downs. Unless he needs a breather. If Adibi is subbed in, it will be as a nickel back replacing Ryans or Cushing. Mario will be on the edge rushing the passer.

Any word on Shiloh Keo? I thought he was supposed to seriously compete for one of the safety spots. Haven't heard much buzz about him at all.

continue on the fast cliff notes

West Texas a&M linebacker Bryan Braman has a long way to go but is outplaying Brooks.

Cushing isn't ready(per Kubiak) and doesn't look explosive, Adibi is flexible.. playing outside and took Mario out and he thinks that if they aren't rushing the passer and need a LB to drop, they would bring in Adibi to cover and take Mario out.

reasonable expectations for the defense is 2009 (no exactly ceiling).. ranked16 would be fine with the offense like we have. Just have a defense that can stop people. not like last year where offense would score with 2 minutes left and no confidence the defense would stall them,much less stop them. Defense now is actually picking off passes this year instead of knocking the ball down. T.O. win the game

Ben Tate (when asked if Tate won't make the team).. Foster is good and we know what he can do, Ward is the slowest, but is the veteran and has patience and able to get the tough goal line yards, OB27 (what he is calling Chris) looks good but needs to see him in a game. Ben Tate is so dynamic when healthy, but when is he healthy? Slaton looks to be back to his rookie year form and is not juking and making moves, but making the one cut and going downhill. (but he did fumble that day). Kubiak didn't want to trade him for a junk pick and wanted to see if he could return to his rookie form and wants to see him in game form.

----------------

whew.. I hope that isn't too hard to read.. I was going fast.

WAIT A SECOND!

Holy cow, I just realized that the LB last name of Braman is a WTAMU guy (West Texas A&M University). My alma mater.

I watched this guy play every home game last year, and watched him on TV during away games (local TV station would "live" satellite it to us here in Amarillo).

This guy is a hoss. You talk about "motor that doesn't stop"? That's him. And he's a big boy. Big frame. He had a bit of an injury problem that held him out of some games from time to time, but overall he was the lone bright spot on our defense.

Man, I hope he makes the team.

Hmmm. Too bad about Brooks, hope something "clicks" for him soon.

...nothing special?

I've read some pretty positive reviews on the Mario move.

Hmmm. Too bad about Brooks, hope something "clicks" for him soon.
I like Brooks Reed, but I knows that he needs some time.
He played 43 DE at Arizona and only saw a few snaps as a 34 OLB in one game (and a few more at the Sr. Bowl.)

The Texans had been moving toward the 34 the last couple of years so our other guys (Mario, Barwin, Cushing, Adibi, etc.) have seen time there.
It's not just time on the playing field, but also in practice and in TC.

...nothing special?

............................................................................................................................................

Observation deck

1. Mario Williams looks natural at outside linebacker. I had some doubts about the Texans' decision to move Williams to linebacker, especially at his size, but coach Gary Kubiak gave an honest assessment of the situation.

"We're not trying to fool anyone that Mario is going to be in coverage a lot," Kubiak said. "He's rushing the passer."

After watching a 2 1/2-hour practice and talking with the people that have to block Williams, any doubts about his transition are gone.

"Now he gets a running start at you, explodes into you and then makes his move," offensive tackle Eric Winston said of Williams. "He's harder to block now than ever before."

Defensive end Antonio Smith added, "Mario now realizes that he can bull rush anybody, and he's playing like a guy that can dominate every play."

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/sto...eliminating-doubts-about-switch-to-linebacker

............................................................................................................................................

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/sto...eliminating-doubts-about-switch-to-linebacker

There have been other reports that Mario is NOT as explosive. That would not be surprising, as it is generally thought that a 3-point stance lends itself to greater explosiveness.

I don't know that I would grasp onto Winston's comment seeing that he has shown vulnerability to any semblance of bull rush in general.

I'll wait to see him at least in some preseason action against #1s to form opinions, and at least a couple of games into the season to form conclusions.

According to a Kubiak quote Saturday eve, it sounds like we're going into tonight with a fairly basic defense. I wouldn't expect a whole lot of bells and whistles tonight.

There have been other reports that Mario is NOT as explosive. That would not be surprising, as it is generally thought that a 3-point stance lends itself to greater explosiveness.

I don't know that I would grasp onto Winston's comment seeing that he has shown vulnerability to any semblance of bull rush in general.

I'll wait to see him at least in some preseason action against #1s to form opinions, and at least a couple of games into the season to form conclusions.

Don't you have patients that you should be seeing? LOL... Is that why it takes so damn long when I go to the doctor? They make you wait in the room, sitting their...snooping through the drawers for what feels like an eternity before the doc finally comes in. I guess you all are just cruising around the MBs. That's cool, I totally understand!

Last edited:
Don't you have pateients that you should be seeing? LOL... Is that why it takes so damn long when I go to the doctor? They make you wait in the room, sitting their...snooping through the drawers for what feels like an eternity before the doc finally comes in. I guess you all are just cruising around the MBs. That's cool, I totally understand!

:spit: No kiddin

Back