Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trades before Nov 2 Deadline

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
After using many high picks and trades, plus 2 different OL coaches, I'm beginning to believe alot of the issues have to do with scheme. Although Howard and Scharping in particular have been really disappointing.
They have soo many tells when they line up. Not to mention, the rb situation. It took Kubes how long to fix the oline? 2 years maybe 3. This has been an ongoing issue and none of the young guys have gotten better

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Kubes fixed the OL when Alex Gibbs wanted to be his OL coach. Kubes finally fixed the D when Bob McNair told him Wade Phillips was going to his DC.
Alex Gibbs helped, but he wasn't hired until 2008.

The offense had taken a big step forward in 2007, even with 2 new QBs (Schaub and Rosenfels).
12th in points and 14th in yards.

Also, I like Wade, but the Texans spent quite a bit more on the defensive side.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Alex Gibbs helped, but he wasn't hired until 2008.

The offense had taken a big step forward in 2007, even with 2 new QBs (Schaub and Rosenfels).
12th in points and 14th in yards.

Also, I like Wade, but the Texans spent quite a bit more on the defensive side.
Take a look at the rushing stats pre and post Alex Gibbs. Not only were the Texans one of the best rushing teams while Gibbs was in Houston, they remained one the best after he was gone. It all came tumbling down after O'Brien's arrival and he began dismantling the OL.

Not surprising the offense improved after Kubiak proved to Bob McNair that Carr could not be fixed and was allowed to acquire Schaub. I wish McNair had afforded Kubiak the same courtesy to find another QB after Schaub's demise instead of insisting Keenum was the Texans future QB.

JWTexans

Waterboy
I personally don’t think the Texans make another trade before the deadline. Not trading DW4 before tomorrow I’m ok with if they’re not gonna get what they should. If the settlements get done before the draft they’ll be able to get more than what they’re being offered now. He and Tunsil are the only players that could potentially bring in a premiere pick, and I’m not even sure how much I’d like a Tunsil trade. Everyone else on this oline is garbage or playing out of position.
Nobody else, outside of Cooks who they reportedly want to build around as a 28 yr old receiver(a very Texans thing to want to do btw), would bring in anything more than a 3rd or 4th at best.
They seem content on sitting where they currently are and letting guys like Reid just walk as a FA.
Idk what this team even tries to tell themselves that they’re doing.

banned1976

sleeper mode
All's quiet on the Patriots South front...

Of course that's after they shelled themselves for three years straight. There are few troops left to send to the front and the ones worth sending are either in the med tent or have retreated from the trenches. The others have been blown to bits or have already joined the other side.

The battle is over and the Texans have lost.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Could Tyrod Taylor be a trade candidate? Saints just lost their QB. Other QBs are hobbled or ineffective. We’ll find out this afternoon if the team is truly in fire sale mode. I suspect they stand pat on Watson.

Maybe Omenihu and Desmond King get moved. Maybe Howard or Scharping on account of general OL injuries around the league and the team wanting to cut ties. Don’t think Lindsay or Johnson will get moved due to ineffectiveness. Cooks is our best asset playing and Texans have given out their share of “solids” for the season already so don’t think a team will part with a 2nd round pick needed to acquire him.

Dejaview

All Pro
To elaborate on Thunderkyss' post in 2015 the Denver Broncos with Gary Kubiak as HC & Wade Phillips as DC won Super Bowl 50. They also had the number 1 defense that year.
While inheriting that team and running an offense disimilar to the system he ran in Houston…and one that the Texans want to get the right pieces to run at some point.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Could Tyrod Taylor be a trade candidate? Saints just lost their QB. Other QBs are hobbled or ineffective. We’ll find out this afternoon if the team is truly in fire sale mode. I suspect they stand pat on Watson.

Maybe Omenihu and Desmond King get moved. Maybe Howard or Scharping on account of general OL injuries around the league and the team wanting to cut ties. Don’t think Lindsay or Johnson will get moved due to ineffectiveness. Cooks is our best asset playing and Texans have given out their share of “solids” for the season already so don’t think a team will part with a 2nd round pick needed to acquire him.
Hopeful Moves:
LT- Tunsil > 2022 RD1 + RD2 + 2023 RD1 + 2023 RD3
WR- Cooks > 2022 RD2 or RD3
QB- Taylor > 2022 RD3 or RD4
TE- Brown > 2022 RD3 or RD4
CB- King III > 2022 RD4
DE- Omenihu > 2022 RD5 or RD6
RB- Lindsay > 2022 RD7 or 2023 RD6

....and if the Texans could just get a few GM's to enjoy the smoothness of their Texans Logo'd/OB Carved Crack Pipe:
LB- Cunningham
RB- Johnson

I wouldn't mind seeing what the Eagles would give up to obtain Tunsil and Cooks in an effort to set the table for Watson to waive his NTC once there's more clarity on his legal situation.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I'm not of the opinion that trading a high quality LT for a draft choice you have no idea of what you might get from the draft is a good thing. Especially when trying to protect some future high pick QB you might take. Or your seemingly controversial 3rd round QB. QBs without a good line can not perform up to their capabilities no matter who they are.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
To elaborate on Thunderkyss' post in 2015 the Denver Broncos with Gary Kubiak as HC & Wade Phillips as DC won Super Bowl 50. They also had the number 1 defense that year.
Let's make sure we internet with context:

The Broncos and Manning were 38-10 the three years before Kubiak/Wade got there, went to the Super Bowl in 2013 and the year before Kubiak/Wade got there had the #3 defense. John Knox build a great team before they fired him for not getting back to the Super Bowl in 2014. I love Kubiak and happy that he got a ring, but this was a Gruden 2.0 season for him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

The Broncos and Manning were 38-10 the three years before Kubiak/Wade got there, went to the Super Bowl in 2013 and the year before Kubiak/Wade got there had the #3 defense. John Knox build a great team before they fired him for not getting back to the Super Bowl in 2014. I love Kubiak and happy that he got a ring, but this was a Gruden 2.0 season for him.
Spot On

John Fox

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Omenihu has 0 burst off the LOS and 0 pass rush moves...at least as an outside rusher. Never saw it with him like some here did. So it goes without saying I'd be more than happy parting ways with him. If we can get something for him, even better.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

He said NEVER.... twice.

badboy

Hall of Fame

They mentioned Taylor to Saints this morning on the radio and for many who has been traded to San Francisco I think.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
He said NEVER.... twice.
And he made a follow up post to qualify that he meant with the Texans.

As far as my post goes, I'm simply pointing out that Kubiak/Wade winning the Super Bowl with the Broncos is about as Gruden as you can get without actually being Gruden. They were gifted a championship caliber team and asked not to John Fox it. Not saying they didn't deserve their rings, but that situation was a coach's wet dream.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Trading a half way decent 5th round pick for a later late round pick is stupid. Most especially Charles Omenihu who has showed some promise on the d-line.

Stupid trade. Stupid Texans. Christ almighty if this team were anymore stupid they'd have to hang a handicapped banner from the stadium roof.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
i dont like trading Charles. I know he has DW4's agent and has had some issues with coaches or something, but Dude is better than that late pick will be
He's been under 2 different regimes now, Had Weaver as his d-line coach and his d-coordinator...had Romeo too.....He's just not that good.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Trading a half way decent 5th round pick for a later late round pick is stupid. Most especially Charles Omenihu who has showed some promise on the d-line.

Stupid trade. Stupid Texans. Christ almighty if this team were anymore stupid they'd have to hang a handicapped banner from the stadium roof.
a future late round pick which has little to no value to the guy receiving it. Basically getting a future UDFA.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I'm not of the opinion that trading a high quality LT for a draft choice you have no idea of what you might get from the draft is a good thing. Especially when trying to protect some future high pick QB you might take. Or your seemingly controversial 3rd round QB. QBs without a good line can not perform up to their capabilities no matter who they are.
I broke this down in another post but long story short I agree with you except that by the time we have a QB to protect, even if we draft one in 22, you will get at best 1 year of Tunsil protecting them before you have to pay him again and he’s already the highest paid LT in the NFL.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Lol, what did you think you were gonna get for this "decent" 5th round pick? a 4th? another 5th? Omenihu will probably be out of the league or on someone's bench after this year. He wasn't showing anything....has been a veritable non factor pretty much his entire career here.

mws

Rookie

I'm all for context. Here is the quote I answered "Kubes and Wade could NEVER win the big games and NEVER would". I guess to put it in context it should have been "Kubes and Wade could NEVER win the big games unless they did".

Manning missed six games due to a partial tear of the plantar fascia in his left foot and had his worst statistical season since his rookie year with the Indianapolis Colts in 1998. Hell Kubiak managed to win 5 games with Osweiler (we all know what a miracle that was) & get them in the playoffs.

Manning Stats|198-331 59.8%|2249 yards|TDs: 9|Int: 17|Passer Rating: 67.9|QBR: 44.2

Osweiler Stats|170-275|61.8%|1967 yards|Tds: 10|Int: 6|Passer Rating: 86.4|QBR: 54.9

The Broncos won on Wades defense.

During the Broncos' three playoff games, they recorded 14 sacks, forced seven turnovers, surrendered only one touchdown pass and gave up just 44 combined points (an average of just 14.7 points a game).

Von Miller was the Super Bowl MVP that year.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He's been under 2 different regimes now, Had Weaver as his d-line coach and his d-coordinator...had Romeo too.....He's just not that good.
Sorry, can't defend this one. He's got two years left on his contract. Him playing out that contract & leaving in FA would probably get us a higher pick than the 2023 49ers 7th round pick.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Sorry, can't defend this one. He's got two years left on his contract. Him playing out that contract & leaving in FA would probably get us a higher pick than the 2023 49ers 7th round pick.
So you want us to wait 2 years for a 6th that we can have now lol? No...if he hasn’t shown anything by now he wasn’t gonna show it….dude was just as likely to be cut next year as he was to be finish out his deal here.