Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trade: The Texans Acquire Blake Cashman

michaelm

vox nihili
So you realize your wrong?
No not in the least.
I was only ever responding to your use of Brady as an example of why teams shouldn't trade 6th round draft picks.
I know nothing about the player we traded for and couldn't tell you if that particular trade is good or bad.
But the concept of never trading a 6th round draft pick because it might turn into Brady is just a bad one.

I see you've avoided answering the question I've asked you twice.
And followed it up by name calling.
I think I'm done with you.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
It's an opinion. Statistically, the odds of a known commodity making the team are much more than a 6th round rookie despite the outliers you've found in your Google searches
Known commodity?? Cashman has played in 14 games in 3 years, taken 36 snaps the last 2 years. What's "known" about him? I'll take a stab at drafting a 6th rounder over that. Probably ain't doing much worse.

And to me it wouldn't be an issue if Caserio, in his 14th month on the job, didn't already have a history of throwing away 6th rounders. Off the top of my head he's cut at least 2 of the "known commodities" he's traded 6's for, one before OTA's even started.

michaelm

vox nihili
Known commodity?? Cashman has played in 14 games in 3 years, taken 36 snaps the last 2 years. What's "known" about him? I'll take a stab at drafting a 6th rounder over that. Probably ain't doing much worse.

And to me it wouldn't be an issue if Caserio, in his 14th month on the job, didn't already have a history of throwing away 6th rounders. Off the top of my head he's cut at least 2 of the "known commodities" he's traded 6's for, one before OTA's even started.
Oh, so it's not using a 6th round pick on a non-Brady. It's this particular non-Brady...

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
No not in the least.
I was only ever responding to your use of Brady as an example of why teams shouldn't trade 6th round draft picks.
Then your narrow minded and you chose to ignore the rest of my posts.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
He would have been an even better waiver wire pickup.

Let’s pretend that Cashman doesn’t have the injury history and has become this special teams demon. He only has one year on his contract. Isn’t it possible to find a guy in the 6th that’s a special teams ace. On a 4 year rookie deal?

But my real concern is what is Caserio going to do with real draft picks? He’s never had them in an unsupervised setting. Would he go, “That David Johnson was a pro bowl RB 3 years ago. He’s definitely better than a stinky 2nd round pick.”

Caserio keeps doubling, tripling, and quadrupling down on a moronic strategy that has yet to work. What other crazy arse ideas does he have in store?
Look, in all actuality I loathe just about everything this team has done. I really low key still can't stand this franchise.

I'm trying to get back into them and find some positives and you're crapping all over my parade.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't think Caserio goes after Cashman without first getting the nod from Lovie or maybe a request from Frank Ross.
Yeah....

The problem is not about Cashman, but the way he went & got him.

I don't care about next year's 6th round pick, but some are. Surely Nick could have got him some other way.. or an equally irrelevant player without using a draft pick

Texazan

Our HOF 34
Lol - he hasn't even stepped on the field yet.
lol and history says when he does it ends in injury. I mean I’m a wait and see guy myself but just saying the kid has not been available so far. It’s just an odd trade and the others haven’t gone well. Anybody check for a pastor connection? Ya know, Six degrees of Jack Easterby? That’s kind of catchy…..

Texazan

Our HOF 34
6th picks should be used to trade up in earlier rds.

Take chances on talented but troubled players

Talented but injury prone players (See: Cashman)

ST's guys and K/P guys.
Agreed, I’d also say if I’m a GM who didn’t have a good kicker I’d be tempted to find the best K in the draft and if he’s there take him in the 6th. I know you can go UDFA but if you can find a boom leg accurate guy take him. Am I crazy? Ok yea probably

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
No it isn't, but that doesn't mean just throw them away because they're burning a hole in your pocket. Hell, why not just cut the draft to 5 rounds if 6ths and 7ths are that useless?
But if the guy doesn't look over matched and has just had bad luck type injuries, he may have more value than a 6th. Idk if thus guy does or doesn't

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Drafting players is risky. Trading picks for players is risky. Why are we constantly complaining? Neither option is guaranteed to have a great outcome.
True, but if we get 5+ games out of Cashman, they will likely be good games as this guy is reasonably decent.
I prefer that option to drafting someone and he turns into a bust with no trade value whatsoever.

Last edited:

Dejaview

All Pro
Drafting players is risky. Trading picks for players is risky. Why are we constantly complaining? Neither option is guaranteed to have a great outcome.
The complaints are from those “geniuses“ who love to bring up examples from drafted players (or any other football related event) a few years down the road then do chest bumps with each other Like they knew it all along. Weird way to go through life, but oh well.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The complaints are from those “geniuses“ who love to bring up examples from drafted players (or any other football related event) a few years down the road then do chest bumps with each other Like they knew it all along. Weird way to go through life, but oh well.
If we were trading for a proven player that’s one thing, but a guy who’s missed more games than played… wouldn’t it make more sense to take that risk on a new young player?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
If we were trading for a proven player that’s one thing, but a guy who’s missed more games than played… wouldn’t it make more sense to take that risk on a new young player?
I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer for the Texans at this juncture. While I would normally agree with you if the Texans had talent on this team but they don’t.

So I see what they are trying to do. Add some experienced players who can play at the NFL level at some capacity with upside. They are looking for some diamonds in the rough that can contribute immediately. To team culture and on the field.

They may see that as more important right now than seeing if a 6th rounder can develop and play at NFL speed and level.

I agree with you at some point this should stop becoming a normal occurrence. Draft and develop your own players. That’s what I am more inclined to see. Or trade those picks for a higher round in the next year.

The strategy hasn’t shown to be overwhelming successful, but neither are 6th and 7th round picks.

If you take every 6th and 7th round player drafted over the last 5 years how many have developed to be higher tier players? How many of those players where drafted in the spot and missed by 32 GMs multiple times? I would wager there are very few.

So does it really matter?

Well it does if your Texans fans because we ain’t got **** to do because Watson’s trade still hasn’t gone through.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
So why bother drafting a sixth round at all?

Kurt Warner

John Randle

James Harrison

Antonio gates

Warren moon

And dozens other "smh."
Kurt Warner didn’t stay with the team he originally tried out for. So it’s more of an example of a pick that didn’t pan out. (He actually was not drafted)

John Randle didn’t stay with the same team he originally tried out for (Tampa Bay and another not drafted player)

James Harrison bounced from Steelers to Ravens to Europe back to Steelers. Another player not drafted.

Antonio Gates was not drafted.

Warren Moon was a CFL player.

If anything this list exposes that there are players that are bouncing around and have a greater degree of success from their failures and made it in the NFL. Most of the time not with their team they originally tried out for.

It’s a lottery.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
True, but if we get 5+ games out of Cashman, they will likely be good games as this guy is reasonably decent.
I prefer that option to drafting someone and he turns into a bust with no trade value whatsoever.
How has Cashman not earned the bust label already? Caserio essentially gave up a draft choice for a bust. He may finally get healthy and produce in his 4th year. That doesn’t change the fact that Cashman has been a bust in his first 3 years with the Jets.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame

I think (I could be wrong) that this really isn’t just about Cashman. This move by itself in a vacuum probably wouldn’t get much more than a passing comment, but the problem is that there seems to be a pattern forming of basically giving away draft picks to other teams for their trash. I’m not sure how anyone would not have an issue with that other than the receiving teams.

Imagine this franchise flipping guys like Peter kalambiyi or Duke Ejifor for picks. That’s what these other teams are pulling on the Texans essentially.

I did like Cashman’s college film, but these guys are right. You don’t give away picks, not even 6th rounders, for guys like him. Even if he turns out ok it’s still not a good practice.

xtruroyaltyx

Hall of Fame
Also, talking about the value of 6th round picks…

First, while the odds to grab productive players there are not high,I want my GM and scouting team to believe they have that kind of eye for talent that they can find diamonds there because nfl history shows it’s possible.

You can find guys all the way down to UDFA, so you can definitely find guys in the 6th.

Also, those picks can be packaged to move up into earlier rounds. So even if you don’t care about 6th rd picks themselves, you can package them for something better.

As bad as this team is they shouldn’t be making these kinds of trades. They should be trying to use these assets more wisely.

Dejaview

All Pro

First, while the odds to grab productive players there are not high,I want my GM and scouting team to believe they have that kind of eye for talent that they can find diamonds there because nfl history shows it’s possible.

You can find guys all the way down to UDFA, so you can definitely find guys in the 6th.

Also, those picks can be packaged to move up into earlier rounds. So even if you don’t care about 6th rd picks themselves, you can package them for something better.

As bad as this team is they shouldn’t be making these kinds of trades. They should be trying to use these assets more wisely.
UH OH

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

The way I see it, Texans will have a minimum of 11 picks this year barring a no go DW4 trade and likely more in-draft.
Logic suggests the higher a player is rated, the better his chances of success so with that in mind, I am all for cobbling together the lower round picks to move up - besides, Texans will have to find a way to pay all these draftees.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The way I see it, Texans will have a minimum of 11 picks this year barring a no go DW4 trade and likely more in-draft.
Logic suggests the higher a player is rated, the better his chances of success so with that in mind, I am all for cobbling together the lower round picks to move up - besides, Texans will have to find a way to pay all these draftees.
As of right now, 3/18/22 @ 11:00 pm, the Texans have 10 picks. 4 of those are 6th or later. 5, however, are top 80.
No 5th round pick currently. That was given away for Anthony Miller.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
So a single 6th rounder over two decades ago turned in to a hall of fame player vs how many 6th rounders flipping burgers now in that same time span?
I think the point is you can draft a young guy on rookie contract. I mean, Tyreke was a 5th rd pick,Terrel Davis was a 6th also. I would like to see them get a bunch of 6th and 7th rd picks and just draft a bunch of young guys vs washouts.

michaelm

vox nihili
I think the point is you can draft a young guy on rookie contract. I mean, Tyreke was a 5th rd pick,Terrel Davis was a 6th also. I would like to see them get a bunch of 6th and 7th rd picks and just draft a bunch of young guys vs washouts.
I was specifically talking about him throwing up Brady as an example of why teams shouldn't trade a 6th round pick for a player.

If you're not trading a 6th for a player because you might draft another Brady with that pick, where does that logic end?
Based on that logic, why would you ever trade a 5th round pick for a player?
That 5th rounder could be the next Brady.

Now, extrapolate that all the way to the 1st round and tell me where it's supposed to be OK to trade that pick despite the long odds of it potentially turning into the next Brady.

That logic could extend all the way to the #1 over all pick. Obviously that's an extreme example.
After that, it's basically a discussion about where each of us thinks the value of trading for a player equals or outweighs the odds of drafting the next Brady with a particular pick.

And that's not even considering that fact that the odds of drafting the next Brady actually increase as the draft pick gets higher.
Certainly the odds of drafting the next Brady with a 3rd round pick are better than a 6th round pick, despite that fact that Brady was a 6th rounder, right?

Last edited:

michaelm

vox nihili
Instead of talking about all of the great 6th round picks of the past, let's talk about all of the great players that were traded for a 6th round pick.

You start.
Straw man. I never once claimed any great players were traded for a 6th round pick.

So, is it your stance that there is no current player in the league worth a 6th round pick?

michaelm

vox nihili
Let me ask a question to everyone on the side of not trading a 6th round pick because it might miraculously turn into Tom Brady.

Is there any player, at all, worth trading a 6th round pick for?

Let me save you some time.
The answer is OBVIOUSLY yes.

Why would you make that trade though? You're not getting the chance at Tom Brady with that pick then.

So, for the sake of argument I'll assume that all of you agree that you'd be willing to trade a 6th round pick for a player you think is a good value.

Congratufuckinglations, we agree.
Now we're just debating the value of the player that we'd individually be willing to forfeit the long odds of finding a Brady in the 6th round for.