Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Trade: Samkon Gado for Vernand Morency

Gado?

Is that guy-doh?

or Gah-doe?

I was'nt even sure how Morency was pronounced.

srstex said:
I find it odd that the Packers said that Gabo could not pick up the Zone Blocking scheme, isn't that what we are running too? I have said since we got Kubiak that this is a fresh start and that we could actually be 8-8 this season, but I agree with everyone else here, Gary is grasping at straws to deflect the Accountabilty he stands so strongly behind.
Do as I say not as I do should be Kubiaks new saying.
Let's face it you can't talk yourself out of a problem you performed yourself into.

Well said. Well said.

He's listening to Mike Sherman way too much or something.

I mean, is that NOT the case? I trust Sherman's coaching abilities, but I am not trusting his vision for personnel. Manning the LB was signed and promptly cut. And now we have Gado. We used some of GB's blocking scheme in the preseason and I wasn't nearly as impressed as I had been with Gary's true zone blocking scheme.

This trade is not even. They get a healthier guy than we get. That was a nasty knee injury Gado suffered. The only reason this trade is so "even" is because of Gado's durability issues.

BUT, I may stand corrected if Gado comes out and runs wild on Indy. If so, then it'll be the last time I second-guess Kubiak.

And for the record, this IS the first time I am second-guessing the guy. WHo can blame any of us for being "concerned?" We went all through TC with Lundy and Morency touted as the two guys sharing the carries...we go out and get Dayne who doesn't even dress out for Sunday. We cut Taylor, sign him to PS, then sign him to active roster, then cut him, then sign him to PS. And now Morency is traded to GB.

Talk about a lot of paperwork for the Texans FO. They've been single-handedly responsible for a steep decrease in forestry and octopus over the past week or so.

thunderkyss said:
I've got to go back and check, but I think our successful runs were not ZB, but Man blocking..... I don't think Kubiak is comfortable with us running the ZBS, and hasn't been since the Denver preseason game.

To me, it looks like we'll be running a ManBlocking scheme....

I was almost certain that the Chiefs preseason game was ZB and the Rams game was either Man or a mix of ZB and man.

It "felt" like a Denver offense vs. the Chiefs, with the sliding run blocking and the bootlegs. and it didn't have that same feel for the remainder of the preseason games. And it was said by a coach or two (at the Rams game and then on forward) that we would also be trying some of Sherman's Green Bay man blocking stuff, as well, and not just ZB.

I don't know why we are not patterning our strategy more after the Chiefs preseason game. Unless...the Chiefs are the worst team in the NFL and they make anything look good. Which, could be the case. If so, I think I'll just re-watch the Chiefs preseason game against us every weekend and not the real game that's on. Then we'll be 16-0 as far as I am concerned.

Call me crazy, but I'm feeling better now about the RB situation now than I was a week ago.

Gado and Dayne both had good showings last year. They just weren't gonna get anywhere on the depth chart where they were.

Battle Red Bull said:
Call me crazy, but I'm feeling better now about the RB situation now than I was a week ago.

Gado and Dayne both had good showings last year. They just weren't gonna get anywhere on the depth chart where they were.

Oh, so they have the ability to get past defenders who beat the snap into the backfield?

Wow. No wonder Denver and GB were so eager to either cut or trade those guys. I just thought they were as expendable as Morency. My bad.:tease:

gpshafer_1976 said:
Oh, so they have the ability to get past defenders who beat the snap into the backfield?

Wow. No wonder Denver and GB were so eager to either cut or trade those guys. I just thought they were as expendable as Morency. My bad.:tease:

The OL situation is a whole different situation....I feel worse about that than I did a week ago. But who doesn't?

Battle Red Bull said:
The OL situation is a whole different situation....I feel worse about that than I did a week ago. But who doesn't?

Sorry if I poked too much fun at your comment. I'm a little punch-drunk from the daily running back drama that I (and everyone else) had thought was going to be pretty firmed up by this point. Guess not.

This o line is not a bad one. I honestly think the Eagles are the best they have ever been, or we are the worst we've ever been. I tend to think the Eagles will return to their spot atop the NFC. A healthy McNabb, a slew of threats in Reggie Brown, Stallworth, LJ the TE, Westbrook, and McNabb himself are hard to stop--Along the same lines as the threats on the Colts.

I just think Kubiak is pulling the plug on the RBs too quickly. It was a bad opening day opponent for us. Period. Of course, the NFL did NO favors to us by making us go to Indy for our second game. Thanks a lot, you buttheads.

This guy has a plan.

What did yall expect to happen? All the players Dumb and Dumber drafted were going to be kept? Look at all the dumb decisions that have been made by them by drafting players to high. (Please no references to Carr or Williams. That is a separate thread) The Texans of the past is going to be drastically different than the Texans of the future.

Kubiak is putting what his players should be in this team. Likewise in GB. Players we like will be traded and cut. Players that fit the description that we dont care for will be put in. Its a management thing. Its what happens. I wish we could hang a large banner saying "Under new management" on Reliant.

There is a plan. George Bush would call it "Strategery"<<<SNL reference.

gpshafer_1976 said:
Sorry if I poked too much fun at your comment. I'm a little punch-drunk from the daily running back drama that I (and everyone else) had thought was going to be pretty firmed up by this point. Guess not.

This o line is not a bad one.

No apology necessary....I think most of us are punch-drunk around here lately.

The line's good. They just need some time to gel. :hides:

TexansBull said:
This guy has a plan.

What did yall expect to happen? All the players Dumb and Dumber drafted were going to be kept? Look at all the dumb decisions that have been made by them by drafting players to high. (Please no references to Carr or Williams. That is a separate thread) The Texans of the past is going to be drastically different than the Texans of the future.

Kubiak is putting what his players should be in this team. Likewise in GB. Players we like will be traded and cut. Players that fit the description that we dont care for will be put in. Its a management thing. Its what happens. I wish we could hang a large banner saying "Under new management" on Reliant.

There is a plan. George Bush would call it "Strategery"<<<SNL reference.

I tend to agree here. Casserly's biggest mistake was hiring Capers. He had no track record of success as a head coach save for a fluke playoff run.

It was even bigger mistake letting that doofus tell him what personnel to bring in through the draft and free agency.

Battle Red Bull said:
No apology necessary....I think most of us are punch-drunk around here lately.

The line's good. They just need some time to gel. :hides:

That they do, failing to pick up 3 defenders, on the left side of the line, is unacceptable....thank-god David Carr is one heck of a durable QB, if that was Chad Pennington he would of been out for the season.....

Tulip said:
Did anything about the pre-season running game re-appear on game day? The blocking was horrific, and neither running back could do anything.

Thank you. A voice of reason.

Grid said:
honestly im not at all worried by anything this staff has done so far. Im not regretting passing on Bush.. im not worried that we are shopping for RBs.

Everything... from trading Morency for Gado... to starting Spencer and Weary..to cutting Wand and Robaire.. to not blitzing until we get pressure from our front 4... all of this tells me that Kubiak and company HAS A PLAN. They are trying to create a system that they know will work.

I like this move because I dont think Kubiak would have done it if he felt Morency would succeed here. He apparently sees potential in Gado and decided that he would rather take a chance with him, than settle for what he knows Morency offers. Meaning.. he could make due with Morency, or take a chance on getting someone who could be a big contributor. He took the chance, and I can agree with that.

Lets not make this a bigger deal than it is. We liked Morency for his POTENTIAL.. not what he ACTUALLY brought to the table. We traded him for someone with lots of potential as well. We have lost nothing here.. and since Kube wanted Gado.. id say its more likely that we have gained.

Morency was never allowed to SHOW what he could bring to the table, by either regime, except for in pre-season. I just had a feeling Morency would earn the starting spot at some time early in the season and he's traded after one game where neither back had success. Makes no sense to me.

texan279 said:
Morency was never allowed to SHOW what he could bring to the table, by either regime, except for in pre-season. I just had a feeling Morency would earn the starting spot at some time early in the season and he's traded after one game where neither back had success. Makes no sense to me.

I guess the coaches didn't think he was an everydown back. I do think Gado is a better running back than Morency, but that's because Gado has been given a chance to show himself and he proved himself well. Maybe the Texans thought he was too small or not durable enough. Either way, I'm happy with the deal.

gtexan02 said:
I still don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is there so much love for Vernand Morency? For whatever reason, this ENTIRE board seems infatuated with this guy, and I can't tell if its a bandwagon reaction or what. Here's what we know about him:
nothing!

He played decent last year, averaging 4 ypc which is fine.

In the preseason, he WAS ALSO AVERAGE!!! Why does everyone think he had such a good preseason?

He NEVER NEVER NEVER started a single game. That means he was ALWAYS going up against 2nd string or worse defenses. Doesn't that mean anything? Lundy went up against 1st stringers and had the same stats that Morency did. If preseason is so indicitave, why don't people realize this?

Almost ALL of Lundy's great 5.5ypc stats is ERASED if you take out his 1 big run for 40+ yards. His ypc drops to a VERY average level, especially for someone going against 2nd string defenses.

I don't know if this was a good trade or not. VM looked elusive, and I like that. But Gado has the potential to be a great runner, and has showed in the regular season he can handle 25+ carries a game.

For one thing, he was the only back we had at all this pre season who seemed to have a clue about blocking. And what is with all the love for Gado on the board? Does anyone know anything about him except for the long run he made against a sorry Detroit defense on a Sunday night game last season? Someone even posted it on here earlier in the thread.

TexanSam said:
I guess the coaches didn't think he was an everydown back. I do think Gado is a better running back than Morency, but that's because Gado has been given a chance to show himself and he proved himself well. Maybe the Texans thought he was too small or not durable enough. Either way, I'm happy with the deal.

Well if the Texans really did feel that way about Morency, Davis should not be hanging around on IR...

What where the Texans thinking? Morency was a "once in a decade" type player.

lol.

When I first heard the news....I smiled. I like Morency and wish him the best, but in Samkon Gato, I see a young guy, that is explosive, who has the right attitude, and does not have a lot of mileage on his tires. He could be just perfect for our system. Plus, we have guys on our staff that have gotten a really good look at both guys (not just game film) and they wanted him.

plus he has that big "Coming to America" smile.

LBC_Justin said:
What where the Texans thinking? Morency was a "once in a decade" type player.

lol.

When I first heard the news....I smiled. I like Morency and wish him the best, but in Samkon Gato, I see a young guy, that is explosive, who has the right attitude, and does not have a lot of mileage on his tires. He could be just perfect for our system. Plus, we have guys on our staff that have gotten a really good look at both guys (not just game film) and they wanted him.

plus he has that big "Coming to America" smile.

Man you sure know a lot about him, but his name is Gado, not Gato...

dirty steve said:
ok noah webster. you probably couldnt spell his name before about 3 pm CST either.

Actually I could, I watched him in several games last year and knew about him last year, thanks for playing though.

gpshafer_1976 said:
I was almost certain that the Chiefs preseason game was ZB and the Rams game was either Man or a mix of ZB and man.

That's what I said. Since Denver, we haven't run much Zone blocking.

KC, ZoneBlocking

StL... ZoneBlocking/ManBlocking

Denver....... ManBlocking

TampaBay..... ManBlocking...... a little ZoneBlocking

Denver... ManBlocking...... a little ZoneBlocking

dirty steve said:
just seems a pretty petty thing to point out--you trying out for junior moderator in charge of gramatical correctness?

The point was he claimed to know so much about the guy as a player and couldn't even spell his name right, if you want to get personal do it in a PM instead of trying to call me out in an open thread.

I dunno what else to say.. id just be repeating myself.

We traded a second string RB for a second string RB that we liked more. Morency didnt just have one regular season game.. he had 2 years.. or if you prefer, he had a full offseason, 4 preseason games, and 1 regular season game, with Kubiak. That is enough time to show that you are too valuable to be traded. Morency didnt do it. He HAS been evaluated.. Kubiak isnt flying off the seat of his pants.

Dunno what else to say. I dont think anything is gonna convince some people to just chill and see what happens. There is a time to cry foul.. and a time to be patient. Kubiak is in his first season as our head coach..now is the time to be patient and see what he is going to do.

If you think we dismissed Morency too quickly.. then you must really be disgusted with yourself... you have dismissed Gado before he has even donned a Texans uniform.

Grid said:

We traded a second string RB for a second string RB that we liked more. Morency didnt just have one regular season game.. he had 2 years.. or if you prefer, he had a full offseason, 4 preseason games, and 1 regular season game, with Kubiak. That is enough time to show that you are too valuable to be traded. Morency didnt do it. He HAS been evaluated.. Kubiak isnt flying off the seat of his pants.

Dunno what else to say. I dont think anything is gonna convince some people to just chill and see what happens. There is a time to cry foul.. and a time to be patient. Kubiak is in his first season as our head coach..now is the time to be patient and see what he is going to do.

If you think we dismissed Morency too quickly.. then you must really be disgusted with yourself... you have dismissed Gado before he has even donned a Texans uniform.

wow. well said. people tend not to keep an open mind about things, hence the problem.

Grid said:

Gado was listed as a 3rd team running back behind Ahman Green and Noah Herron. I am not dismissing Gado in anyway, but some here act as if he is the second coming of Earl Campbell because of what he did last season in 8 games with the Packers. Fact is if Morency is as bad as some are making him out to be and Gado is as great as some claim why would Green Bay even make the trade?

That is just optimism.. nothing wrong with it.

The high opinion of Gado stems from the fact that he is young..he is of prototypical size, with homerun speed. Also, he had some great games when he was the starter for the Packers. On top of that, we have a head coach that knows running backs, who comes from a system that is infamous for taking guys no one else thought was any good and turning them into one of the best backs in the league.

I think alot of the excitement comes from that last part. Gado is a guy that Kubiak has singled out as "a guy we want".. and that means that Kubiak probably feels that he could have what it takes to be our difference maker in the backfield. Coming from a guy with Kubiaks experience...that warrants some excitement.

Fact of the matter is that Gado has looked flat this year.. he has had alot of trouble with the zone blocking, and has apparently done poorly enough to make the Pack go out and find someone to replace him. So its no surprise that they were willing to trade him.

He isnt a sure thing by any stretch.. And I wouldnt say that we snuck in under the radar and grabbed a gem that no one knew about. But, as I said above, we have a coach that has had huge success with running backs.. and if he feels that Gado was worth getting, then there must be more to him than people realize... or at least, Kubiak thinks so. More than likely if Gado becomes a star, its gonna be because Kubiak did the right things to make Gado's strengths work in our system. Kubiak is capable of that though..so im excited about it.

I feel like this post is nonsensical and hypocritical... but i am too tired to proofread and word it better. Im sure someone will let me know if I contradicted myself :D

I thought Morency was a good player in the pre-season. He won't get very far because GB's offensive line is worse that Houstons.

Grid said:
That is just optimism.. nothing wrong with it.

The high opinion of Gado stems from the fact that he is young..he is of prototypical size, with homerun speed. Also, he had some great games when he was the starter for the Packers. On top of that, we have a head coach that knows running backs, who comes from a system that is infamous for taking guys no one else thought was any good and turning them into one of the best backs in the league.

I think alot of the excitement comes from that last part. Gado is a guy that Kubiak has singled out as "a guy we want".. and that means that Kubiak probably feels that he could have what it takes to be our difference maker in the backfield. Coming from a guy with Kubiaks experience...that warrants some excitement.

Fact of the matter is that Gado has looked flat this year.. he has had alot of trouble with the zone blocking, and has apparently done poorly enough to make the Pack go out and find someone to replace him. So its no surprise that they were willing to trade him.

He isnt a sure thing by any stretch.. And I wouldnt say that we snuck in under the radar and grabbed a gem that no one knew about. But, as I said above, we have a coach that has had huge success with running backs.. and if he feels that Gado was worth getting, then there must be more to him than people realize... or at least, Kubiak thinks so. More than likely if Gado becomes a star, its gonna be because Kubiak did the right things to make Gado's strengths work in our system. Kubiak is capable of that though..so im excited about it.

I feel like this post is nonsensical and hypocritical... but i am too tired to proofread and word it better. Im sure someone will let me know if I contradicted myself :D

Let me begin I am not directing this at you Grid. I have no problem with optimism, it seems though when some here get excited about certain players it is optimism, but when others get excited about other players, it is "homerism". Once again, it was not directed at you or anyone else directly, just a general observation of the board.

texan279 said:
Gado was listed as a 3rd team running back behind Ahman Green and Noah Herron. I am not dismissing Gado in anyway, but some here act as if he is the second coming of Earl Campbell because of what he did last season in 8 games with the Packers. Fact is if Morency is as bad as some are making him out to be and Gado is as great as some claim why would Green Bay even make the trade?

You have two teams that did poorly. You have two new HCs. They traded for players that fit thier ideal system, repectively. The trade puts us one step closer to achieving Kubiaks team without the Dom and Casserly hangover. We hate to see Morency go, but we have faith in the HC that it will bring us a W.

The games we were hoping to win at the start of the season was probably written off. The whole season may have been written off. His building the team still. Have faith. Everything is going to be ok. Just sit back and watch.

:popcorn: texanpride :fans:

texan279 said:
Let me begin I am not directing this at you Grid. I have no problem with optimism, it seems though when some here get excited about certain players it is optimism, but when others get excited about other players, it is "homerism". Once again, it was not directed at you or anyone else directly, just a general observation of the board.

Yah.. optimism and homerism are interchangeable.. depending on which camp you are in and what point you are trying to make :rolleyes:

*edit* as possibly the biggest homer on the board, i try not to call others homers :D.. people and glass houses...

TexansBull said:
You have two teams that did poorly. You have two new HCs. They traded for players that fit thier ideal system, repectively. The trade puts us one step closer to achieving Kubiaks team without the Dom and Casserly hangover. We hate to see Morency go, but we have faith in the HC that it will bring us a W.

The games we were hoping to win at the start of the season was probably written off. The whole season may have been written off. His building the team still. Have faith. Everything is going to be ok. Just sit back and watch.

:popcorn: texanpride :fans:

I have complete faith, I have been sitting here watching people go nuts all week because of last Sunday. I have said in the past months that I give the entire team at least 1 full season to see improvement, but I personally think we will start seeing some improvement by the middle of this season. Just because I don't agree with a trade or decisions made doesn't mean I am giving up, I have been here since day one, I am not going anywhere, and I have more faith in Kubiak after one regualr season game than I ever did in Capers in 4 seasons.

texan279 said:

So, what you are saying is some people can voice thier opinion, and others cant about the same topic....hmmmmmm. What are your qualifications?

I hope anyone can get excited about this team. Whether they know fb or not. We are in need of quality fans that just dont want to criticize everything done positive or negative about a sports team. Fairweather fans are too common in Houston.

I do actually think that Capers gave Morency enough opportunity. The fact is that Morency danced around and didn't have much success at all until this last preseason with Kubiak. I don't, however, think that Kubiak gave him a fair shot. Sorry, but he showed quite a bit this preseason and Lundy was "favored". At the very least, Morency should've gotten more chances last Sunday, even if he didn't start. Nothing against Lundy, but I think Morency got a raw deal.

Regardless, I will still be OK with this trade if this guy comes in and plays well. It's upsetting to hear that we trading Morency for a UFA who's played so little (apparently), etc., but we'll just have to see. Some are really high on the new guy and one of them is somebody whose opinions I've learned to respect over time.

texan279 said:
I have complete faith, I have been sitting here watching people go nuts all week because of last Sunday. I have said in the past months that I give the entire team at least 1 full season to see improvement, but I personally think we will start seeing some improvement by the middle of this season. Just because I don't agree with a trade or decisions made doesn't mean I am giving up, I have been here since day one, I am not going anywhere, and I have more faith in Kubiak after one regualr season game than I ever did in Capers in 4 seasons.

Thats great man...I love to hear that stuff...ignore my previous post...

Bottomline is when you look up at the yards per carry stat at halftime of the first game and it's like 1.7 you turn to your buddy and say I don't care what the scoreboard says now, we are going to lose. And we got crushed. No way they go back to war with that kind of production. Move on.

Morency was probably putting off the wrong vibe about running style. Seeing his angry act when he first got the ball in preseason you could sense he was frustrated about being second behind the rookie. He was awesome in that preseason game but went back to bad in a hurry after the initial dissed rush wore off. Good luck bud. We'll have to take our chances. This guy we got is an Ebo, something about born to run in Nigeria. Good luck Ebo man.

texan279 said:
Fact is if Morency is as bad as some are making him out to be and Gado is as great as some claim why would Green Bay even make the trade?

And if Morency is that great, why would WE make the trade? See how that logic works both ways and is self-defeating.

The trade was made because both sides obviously think they're getting a good deal. One side will be right, the other will be wrong.

Why did the Jets trade Santana Moss straight up for Lavernues Coles? If you were a Redskins fan at the time, you'd probably poopoo the trade because you'd say Moss must not be good if the Jets would trade him. Well, Santana Moss was one of the best receivers in the NFL last year, while Coles did almost nothing for the Jets.

So why did the Packers trade Gado for Morency? The same reason the Jets traded Moss for Coles, because they're morons.

Snapple said:
And if Morency is that great, why would WE make the trade? See how that logic works both ways and is self-defeating.

The trade was made because both sides obviously think they're getting a good deal. One side will be right, the other will be wrong.

Why did the Jets trade Santana Moss straight up for Lavernues Coles? If you were a Redskins fan at the time, you'd probably poopoo the trade because you'd say Moss must not be good if the Jets would trade him. Well, Santana Moss was one of the best receivers in the NFL last year, while Coles did almost nothing for the Jets.

So why did the Packers trade Gado for Morency? The same reason the Jets traded Moss for Coles, because they're morons.

So you are saying our front office is full of morons?

I just don't know what to think guys. I like Morency a lot and thought he should be the starter. You know, the Packers use the zone blocking scheme too, and they are being coached with a guy who had direct ties to Alex Gibbs (just like we do). I forgot who it was... Could someone find out cause I remember reading an article about it.

Anyway, I do think of this as a more negative thing, cause it disrupts the team, and it feels like we're hitting the panick button here. All I can really say is to have a little blind faith in our front office and pray they knew exactly what they were doing.

All I know is that there were just no holes to run through against the Eagles on Sun. We need to fix that first. Plain and simple.

texan279 said:
mods please delete *EDIT*

i agree but it comes in handy sometimes.........:heh:

but anyways I feel we have beat a dead hourse and this is slowly becoming like the reggie and mario debate along with carr threads....time will tell and hopefully our FO made the right decision. I expect we will now be compairing two pairs of players throughout thier careers. Atleast one pair we can compare fairly.

I blame myself.:homer:

phan1 said:
I just don't know what to think guys. I like Morency a lot and thought he should be the starter. You know, the Packers use the zone blocking scheme too, and they are being coached with a guy who had direct ties to Alex Gibbs (just like we do). I forgot who it was... Could someone find out cause I remember reading an article about it.

Anyway, I do think of this as a more negative thing, cause it disrupts the team, and it feels like we're hitting the panick button here. All I can really say is to have a little blind faith in our front office and pray they knew exactly what they were doing.

All I know is that there were just no holes to run through against the Eagles on Sun. We need to fix that first. Plain and simple.

Their new offensive coordinator is Jeff Jagodzinski.

Jagodzinski served last season as the Falcons offensive line coach, a promotion he earned after his first year in Atlanta, 2004, as tight ends coach. While in Atlanta, he worked with offensive line consultant Alex Gibbs, the architect of some of the best offensive lines in NFL history, including that of the 1997-98 Super Bowl champion Broncos.

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/jagodzinski_jeff/

Snapple said:

Wrong.
Both players could be successful with their new teams in the future. Who's to say?
It is possible for the trade to work out for both teams.

phan1 said:
they are being coached with a guy who had direct ties to Alex Gibbs (just like we do). I forgot who it was... Could someone find out cause I remember reading an article about it.

The head coach is:
Mike McCarthy, 49ers Offensive Coordinator 2005 - Saints Offensive Coordinator 2000-2004.

*edit*
when I posted this I thought you were talking about the new HC, not the OC... I decided to leave it in.

michaelm said:
Wrong.
Both players could be successful with their new teams in the future. Who's to say?
It is possible for the trade to work out for both teams.

Portis for Bailey was a good trade for both teams. A much more high profile trade, but it can happen.

Back