Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trade Partners for JJ

Maverick

Failure is not an option
Can't really dismiss any idiotic behavior from Kirby so long as Grima shares an office with Cal.

If he’s released then the Texans are the idiots we think they are. If he’s no longer a Texan, it needs to be because he was traded. Dude still has value, especially for a team that can give him some help. He has no help here.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If he’s released then the Texans are the idiots we think they are. If he’s no longer a Texan, it needs to be because he was traded. Dude still has value, especially for a team that can give him some help. He has no help here.
Teams know our cap won't allow us to keep him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Which contenders have the cap space to trade for him?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I'm packaging him with Watson and shipping both to Miami. One, Miami is an up and coming organization with Buffalo being the biggest competition for the AFC East. Two, Miami has the draft capital and the cap room to make this move a very positive one for Miami and its fans. Three, both Watson and Watt would be with a far better organization, that has deep playoff contender written all over 2021 with their arrival.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
My motto is that I only want a player to win if they are in a Texans uniform and I stand by that right up until Texans are eliminated. After that happens then I can cheer for them more. Wish JJ would go to the Ravens then I can really cheer for him. :D

Mangler

Toro de España
My motto is that I only want a player to win if they are in a Texans uniform and I stand by that right up until Texans are eliminated. After that happens then I can cheer for them more. Wish JJ would go to the Ravens then I can really cheer for him. :D
The Ravens? But, they don't even have a real QB! Why the hell would he want to go to Baltimore?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I understand the sentiment, but who is Jj replacing on that DL?

He'd be better off going to KC

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I think it'll be very difficult for the Texans to trade JJ .... His cap hit of $17.5m is really prohibitive.
Only 15 teams have the space to absorb that cap hit and lets not forget that those teams would still have to fill out their rosters.
The list of actual contenders among that group of teams .... questionable at best

Consider Tampa as one of those as they have $38,144,114 in cap space but only 30 players under contract.

I didn't check each teams list of FA's .... Just their cap space total.

San Francisco has $19,738,360

Baltimore - $26,945,758

Cleveland - $21,993,158

Miami - $31,668,922

Indy - $69,557,543

I think if he is actually traded , the Texans have to take back players in return , not just a pick.

If I had to make a guess , I'd say he was cut rather than traded.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I think it'll be very difficult for the Texans to trade JJ .... His cap hit of $17.5m is really prohibitive.
Only 15 teams have the space to absorb that cap hit and lets not forget that those teams would still have to fill out their rosters.
The list of actual contenders among that group of teams .... questionable at best

Consider Tampa as one of those as they have $38,144,114 in cap space but only 30 players under contract.

Baltimore - $26,945,758

Cleveland - $21,993,158

Miami - $31,668,922

Indy - $69,557,543

I think if he is actually traded , the Texans have to take back players in return , not just a pick.

@Corrosion is my new Lord Bills, King of Common Sense and Logical Thinking.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Did you know that my sig for the first decade plus on this site was :

Why do they call it common sense if its so uncommon?
There were so many people here that absolutely detested Lord Bills because he spoke the truth and common sense. He was never one to blow smoke up your hiney. Times have changed, many of those same folks now see it as Lord Bills did way back then.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

Baltimore - $26,945,758

Cleveland - $21,993,158

Miami - $31,668,922

Indy - $69,557,543

I think he could be bundled with Watson and shipped to the Dolphins in what would be considered a blockbuster deal. The idea is to get him off the books while giving hi his best chance at success. Texans could get a bump in the 2021 Dolphin package or divert his return to the 2022 draft. All would be good either way.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
There were so many people here that absolutely detested Lord Bills because he spoke the truth and common sense. He was never one to blow smoke up your hiney. Times have changed, many of those same folks now see it as Lord Bills way back then.
The dude seems to have quite the reputation for someone that hasn't posted in almost 7 years and was only here for 9 months. I've consistently been here since 2004 and don't remember him at all. lol

Too bad he never returned. I like his honest perspective after reading some of his posts. The Texans have run out of koolaid and the jig is up.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Best bet is the Packers. However, I don't think the Steelers are out of the question. Watt will take less I think to play with his brothers.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Depends on how badly Jj wants out. If he agrees to restructure his remaining years, it can be done.
He has one year left , what's to restructure ?

If he's willing to take less than the $17.5m he's due he's better off getting cut than traded , that way he's in complete control of his destination and it doesn't cost his new team an asset.

If the team came to me and said extend your contract and lower your cap hit this year or get cut , I'd say cut me. I want my $17.5m or my freedom.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Best bet is the Packers. However, I don't think the Steelers are out of the question. Watt will take less I think to play with his brothers.
Both Green Bay & Pittsburgh are in a worse situation than the Texans cap wise , they are $-29,171,617 over and $-20,758,547 over.

2021 NFL Team Salary Cap Space Tracker | Spotrac

Neither can afford Watt at the current $17.5m figure.

Texian

Hall of Fame
If the team came to me and said extend your contract and lower your cap hit this year or get cut , I'd say cut me. I want my $17.5m or my freedom.
Texans have shown a propensity over the years to get very little for their #1 draft picks or nothing at all. As it was with Mario Williams and Andre Johnson so it will likely be with JJ Watt. From a business perspective, if Texans do not receive a 3rd RD or better offer for Watt, best they keep him in 2021 and get a 3rd RD comp pick in 2022.

If the Texans trade DW4 they may have no alternative but to cut Watt in order to absorb much of DW4 $20MM Dead Cap hit. Might as well make JJ part of the DW4 trade if you can.

Last edited:

Texian

Hall of Fame
If Texans keep Watt in 2021 and he becomes a free agent after the season, the Texans likely will receive a 3rd RD comp pick in 2022 draft for his departure. They do not get a comp if the they cut or trade a player. So if Texans can not trade Watt for a 3rd pick RD pick or better in 2021 they might as well keep him for the comp pick in 2022. That said if a team offered a 4th RD pick for Watt you probably take it to get the cap relief.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If Texans keep Watt in 2021 and he becomes a free agent after the season, the Texans likely will receive a 3rd RD comp pick in 2022 draft for his departure. They do not get a comp if the they cut or trade a player. So if Texans can not trade Watt for a 3rd pick RD pick or better in 2021 they might as well keep him for the comp pick in 2022. That said if a team offered a 4th RD pick for Watt you probably take it to get the cap relief.
Ok, but if they keep him in 2021, they would only get a comp pick in 2023 IF he signed a contract for big money... not likely to be a 3rd iin any case

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He has one year left , what's to restructure ?

If he's willing to take less than the $17.5m he's due he's better off getting cut than traded , that way he's in complete control of his destination and it doesn't cost his new team an asset.

I'd want my $17.5M too. Definitely don't want to be on an Ndamukong Suh one year prove it deal.

Jj said he's got 3 good years left. I can see a team willing to negotiate a 5 year $60M contract with a $35M signing bonus. $1M salary in years 1, 2 & 3. $10M roster bonus in year 3 & big unguaranteed salaries in years 4 & 5.

I seriously doubt he's getting $17.5M/yr in the open market.

OptimisticTexan

Package him to Miami with Watson. I think Watt would go to the Dolphins b/c one, he'd be a good fit and two, they're in pretty good shape from an overall talent perspective with him and Watson. May not be GB or Chicago but Miami has the space to bring him on board and could convince him to rework his contract with a 3 year extension. Watson and Watt would be solid additions to a team with only Buffalo as an obstacle. It could be a few seasons before NE or the Jets become relevant.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Package him to Miami with Watson. I think Watt would go to the Dolphins b/c one, he'd be a good fit and two, they're in pretty good shape from an overall talent perspective with him and Watson. May not be GB or Chicago but Miami has the space to bring him on board and could convince him to rework his contract with a 3 year extension. Watson and Watt would be solid additions to a team with only Buffalo as an obstacle. It could be a few seasons before NE or the Jets become relevant.
The Texans aren't trading Watson, at least this year anyway. They're not about to give away $27M in signing bonus to not play a single down and then take a $22M cap hit on top of it. The Texans are stupid, but not that stupid.
Hold my beer!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Texans aren't trading Watson, at least this year anyway. They're not about to give away $27M in signing bonus to not play a single down and then take a $22M cap hit on top of it. The Texans are stupid, but not that stupid.
Hold my beer!
Agreed. I think like Hopkins he's decided to make some noise this season to "force" something next season.

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
Another stupid Texans strategic blunder. We get NOTHING for HOFer Watt that still has at least a little time left in the league. We should've traded him about 3 years ago when he had a much higher value - like a 1st or at worst 2nd rounder. They waited sooo long to do anything with him that teams called their bluff on giving anything because they HAD to either trade or cut him. This is exactly why we will never win a Super Bowl. GD its hard to be a fan of this team.

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'd want my $17.5M too. Definitely don't want to be on an Ndamukong Suh one year prove it deal.

Jj said he's got 3 good years left. I can see a team willing to negotiate a 5 year $60M contract with a $35M signing bonus. $1M salary in years 1, 2 & 3. $10M roster bonus in year 3 & big unguaranteed salaries in years 4 & 5.

I seriously doubt he's getting $17.5M/yr in the open market.
ok... maybe I misjudged the situation.