Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Trade Partners for JJ

Who do you think will be in the running as a trade partner for JJ? What compensation would you ask for him?

TB- 2021 3rd Rd
Browns- 2021 3rd Rd

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Steelers. 3rd round
I'm thinking a pick swap, with the Texans getting their 3rd, and the Steelers getting the 4th that O'Brien and Easterby got from the Cards. Maybe another conditional 2022 3rd if Watt gets 10+ sacks.

Edit: Scratch this. The Steelers don't have the cap room to buy a lotto ticket. Even if Ben retires. I'm having a hard time finding a contender as a landing spot with Watt's contract.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I'm thinking a pick swap, with the Texans getting their 3rd, and the Steelers getting the 4th that O'Brien and Easterby got from the Cards. Maybe another conditional 2022 3rd if Watt gets 10+ sacks.

Edit: Scratch this. The Steelers don't have the cap room to buy a lotto ticket. Even if Ben retires. I'm having a hard time finding a contender as a landing spot with Watt's contract.

Texans probably end up paying some portion of that $17.5m for him to play elsewhere .... meaning they don't create the full $17.5m in cap space by moving him.

I don't know if I'd move him for $12m or less in cap space ....

PapaL

Loose Screw
With the trainwreck that is this organization; he’ll ask for his release, write something beautiful in the paper, and take a min contract on a contender.

He’s made more than enough money in Houston. He’ll last longer being being an impact situational player on a contender than he will carrying this lame ass organization anymore.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Yep, they're stuck with Watt's contract.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I could live with that , just about any other pass rusher you sign is going to cost you 7 or more.
They're going to have to suck it up, have a bad team next yr and start preparing for the future. Unfortunately that's not the Texans Way.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No, they can release Watt and save $17.5 million. And they will do it at a press conference with JJ, who will thank the Texans for allowing him to pursue other offers.
Then that's what they should do.

No reason to prolong the pain.

frethack

Rookie
We can get a draft asset for Watt...maybe a third or fourth from a contending team like Seattle who needs good pass rushers. A trade with an extension and restructure could make his contract very palatable

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

banned1976

sleeper mode

I like the idea, but we better get more than just 2022 1st rounder in the process.
Yes, lets see how much we can traumatize the Watt family. Might as well go up to Wisconsin and shoot their dog, too.

Come on down here Watt family and work for the worst ownership/management group in the NFL!

Anyway, I didn't read that article because just the thought of it is absurd. Swapping a top 5 quarterback for a pass rusher and one pick? Not worth reading.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We can get a draft asset for Watt...maybe a third or fourth from a contending team like Seattle who needs good pass rushers. A trade with an extension and restructure could make his contract very palatable

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
They would have to be desperate. The kind of desperate teams get during training camp, not the kind they get before the draft.

Most teams will wait until he’s released & try to get him cheap.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
how many more years does he got on his contract 1 year ..????? or 2 ???
Just one I think. Maybe. But I know there’s no more guaranteed money. So however he comes off the roster it’s instant cap savings

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Watt still has gas left in the tank, he just can't force double teams or beat protection turns like he could 4 yrs ago. You dont have to have 1 guy, you can have waves of players for the rush. They had 2 more sacks than the Chiefs, but the consistent pressure and back end coverage makes a huge difference.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Funny that only a couple weeks ago Deshaun Watson was at the podium talking about wanting to be the QB to get JJ his ring, now he’s like F*ck JJ I want out.
Things change and life goes on when you’re lied to. They’ll both be fine.

JWTexans

Waterboy
Lied too is far different than doing what DW4 wants them to do.
How's that? He was lied to by all accounts. Cal and Esterby lied and now they may have ruined the only chance this team will have for a decade to do anything of significance if the reports about Watson wanting out are in fact true.
They never should've told DW4 that he would have input on the GM search because he SHOULDN'T have had any input on that hiring. The HC hiring, sure. Not the GM. But they told him he would and then he didn't. This is ALL on Cal and his snake oil salesman and false man of God Jack.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How's that? He was lied to by all accounts. Cal and Esterby lied and now they may have ruined the only chance this team will have for a decade to do anything of significance if the reports about Watson wanting out are in fact true.
They never should've told DW4 that he would have input on the GM search because he SHOULDN'T have had any input on that hiring. The HC hiring, sure. Not the GM. But they told him he would and then he didn't. This is ALL on Cal and his snake oil salesman and false man of God Jack.
DW4 gave his opinion.

Cuck listened to DW4's opinion and decided to hire the guy he had been chasing for 15 months. How is that lying?

Totally disagree about them not being able to win a championship for the next decade if they trade DW4. In fact I can make a case if they hit on the draft picks they get after trading DW4 they will be better positioned to win a championship. You must not have faith in NC's ability to draft guys.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
DW4 gave his opinion.

Cuck listened to DW4's opinion and decided to hire the guy he had been chasing for 15 months. How is that lying?

Totally disagree about them not being able to win a championship for the next decade if they trade DW4. In fact I can make a case if they hit on the draft picks they get after trading DW4 they will be better positioned to win a championship. You must not have faith in NC's ability to draft guys.
No team has ever won a Super Bowl after trading a top QB like Watson.

That’s history, can’t argue that.

JWTexans

Waterboy
By whose account? We don’t know what Watson was told. It makes absolutely no sense to think he was told he could pick the next GM.
I 100%agree that he should have absolutely 0 input as far as the GM search before Caserio got the job. He is not qualified in the slightest. But to be told he would have input in the decision and then just hiring the guy Easterby wanted anyway, its not a good look. DW4 was lied to, plain and simple. None of us here would appreciate being lied to by our employer. Its not the fact that he didn't choose the GM, its the fact that they should've never told him he'd have input in the first place which put them in a position to lie to him.

JWTexans

Waterboy
DW4 gave his opinion.

I don't have any faith in anything that this organization does at this point.
Everyone here knows Easterby should've been sent packing, but DHop got ran off instead. We RARELY hit on first round picks, and when we do we either don't build around them or we let them walk. The cap situation isn't good at all, and this team loves to hand out money to JAGs..... that may change under NC, but I'll believe it when I see it. If they trade Watson, then that's something else this organization screwed up.