Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Top 4 Free Agents You Would Like To Become Texans

sandman

Brexit Advisor
It's an RPO system where Hooker had to read one side of the field. Though he will get plenty of time to study while sitting out his rookie year.

There is something about a guy competing against players 2-3 years younger than he is, and looking dominant. COVID has screwed up a lot of timelines for college players. Hooker didn't have the advantage of being dropped into a pro friendly system like Bryce Young. I think there is still some upside to Hooker. But you have to be honest in that he has a long way to go, as well.
I'm not stumping for Hooker. Just asking for an explanation for "no real experience". Thanks for that explanation.

I would also counter that he just turned 25 in January. He played his last two seasons at 23 and 24. Usually when we see players that age reshaping their bodies and becoming more physically dominant, it is because they are in the NFL and part of a pro team strength and conditioning program. I'm not sure that we can point to empirical data that says just because he was 23-24 that he was dominating 21-22 year old NCAA athletes. Especially in SEC football.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Hmmm...I seem to remember a QB named Trubiskey was also the most pro-ready, plug-and-play QB. How'd that turn out?

I'm not taking the risk on a QB with Young's size and build until the 2nd round at the earliest, but most likely later. Stroud is a 2nd round pick in my world. If Hooker was healthy, I'd take him at 2.33, but since he's recovering from an injury, I'm waiting until the 3rd for him.
Bad memory? The knock on Mitch was lack of starts. He had 13 starts and was over-drafted.

Bryce has 32 games under his belt in college. He's also got a lot better intangibles than Mitch.

vtech9

All Pro
Bad memory? The knock on Mitch was lack of starts. He had 13 starts and was over-drafted.

Bryce has 32 games under his belt in college. He's also got a lot better intangibles than Mitch.
Nope. My memory is pretty good. Just ask my GF. She get's pissed at me for remembering stupid sh!t she did years ago...lol.

Tiny Tim has a lot of COLLEGE games under his belt, but that still doesn't change the fact that he is tiny. I'd rather he goes to the Colts, and be successful (which means I would be wrong), than take him at 1.2, and have him end up hurt most of his career.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Nope. My memory is pretty good. Just ask my GF. She get's pissed at me for remembering stupid sh!t she did years ago...lol.

Tiny Tim has a lot of COLLEGE games under his belt, but that still doesn't change the fact that he is tiny. I'd rather he goes to the Colts, and be successful (which means I would be wrong), than take him at 1.2, and have him end up hurt most of his career.
LOL, I hear ya brother lol. But for me it's the opposite. GF always has a better memory. Most women I've had it's like, remember that time 10 years, 4 months, and 6 days ago at 1:33 PM when you said I should wear a different dress? You insulted me and said I looked fat in that dress. I'm leaving you!

As far as Bryce goes, this is what makes the NFL offseason damn near as much fun as the season at times. We have a nearly opposite take. It will certainly be interesting to follow this through its natural conclusion. One of us has a future date with an extra-sized portion of roast crow.

vtech9

All Pro
LOL, I hear ya brother lol. But for me it's the opposite. GF always has a better memory. Most women I've had it's like, remember that time 10 years, 4 months, and 6 days ago at 1:33 PM when you said I should wear a different dress? You insulted me and said I looked fat in that dress. I'm leaving you!

As far as Bryce goes, this is what makes the NFL offseason damn near as much fun as the season at times. We have a nearly opposite take. It will certainly be interesting to follow this through its natural conclusion. One of us has a future date with an extra-sized portion of roast crow.
Right on...lol. I'll practice by eating a bunch of quail.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
nah...I'll stick to the Quail. I'm actually going to start raising them in the near future.
They're very good

Never heard of raising quail, I've eaten to ton of them though. I guess it's like raising chickens?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I like Hooker ok at 33 but he's old, he's injured, and he needs to learn to read a D
Every one of these guys are going to have to learn to read defenses in the NFL. Before the snap & after the snap.

Some guys will be starting from a more proficient level than others but they all will have to learn.

The OC & play calling is going to have to be implemented in a way to help that QB learn.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Hmmm...I seem to remember a QB named Trubiskey was also the most pro-ready, plug-and-play QB. How'd that turn out?

I'm not taking the risk on a QB with Young's size and build until the 2nd round at the earliest, but most likely later. Stroud is a 2nd round pick in my world. If Hooker was healthy, I'd take him at 2.33, but since he's recovering from an injury, I'm waiting until the 3rd for him.

If when it's time to measure & weigh Bryce Young and he runs and hides I'd be concerned if I was BY fan.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Every one of these guys are going to have to learn to read defenses in the NFL. Before the snap & after the snap.

Some guys will be starting from a more proficient level than others but they all will have to learn.

The OC & play calling is going to have to be implemented in a way to help that QB learn.
There is one that is far more advanced than the others.
All you gotta do as a team for that one is make sure you keep him upright.
I reckon he and the coaches might be smart enough to know he will need to get rid of the ball quickly in the nfl and work that idea into the offensive system.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There is one that is far more advanced than the others.
All you gotta do as a team for that one is make sure you keep him upright.
I reckon he and the coaches might be smart enough to know he will need to get rid of the ball quickly in the nfl and work that idea into the offensive system.
The 49ers were doing this with Purdy until they weren't.

Purdy and Young are pretty good comparisons.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Regardless of what TK/Texian say, the Texans are in good cap shape.
No doubt, now if they only had a responsible fiduciary who knew how to manage money. Contrary to what some believe just because you have plenty of cap space, does not make you a good money manager. In fact, if you are an irresponsible bad money manager with only $6MM to manage, you will be an even worse money manager if you have $37MM.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
No doubt, now if they only had a responsible fiduciary who knew how to manage money. Contrary to what some believe just because you have plenty of cap space, does not make you a good money manager. In fact, if you are an irresponsible bad money manager with only $6MM to manage, you will be an even worse money manager if you have $37MM.
Ah, so damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't...

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I'm not stumping for Hooker. Just asking for an explanation for "no real experience". Thanks for that explanation.

I would also counter that he just turned 25 in January. He played his last two seasons at 23 and 24. Usually when we see players that age reshaping their bodies and becoming more physically dominant, it is because they are in the NFL and part of a pro team strength and conditioning program. I'm not sure that we can point to empirical data that says just because he was 23-24 that he was dominating 21-22 year old NCAA athletes. Especially in SEC football.
At 25 almost 26 before he hits the field, physically, he doesn't have much room to grow. I like Hooker, but I see him more like Brissett than an actually long term starter plus he's coming off an injury.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm outta here

Tired of being trolled by one A-hole mod.

I will come back and invite a few of y'all to the crawfish boil we have every yr and comment on the draft picks.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I don't know the conversation that SB is referencing so I'm going to stay away from that whole subject. I will say just as a general principle that I really try very hard not to take anything personally that's said here. It's a message board. I think by its very nature, things are said that maybe we would not in a face-to-face setting. I know for me, I'm probably more adamant, more arrogant and self-assured than I would be in a more natural setting. And that's somewhat by design. In some ways, it's like a football diary of "hot takes" if you will. In person, I'm way more laid back and mellow but this board lets me explore a different side of my personality which is kind of fun.

What I do like in a message board is every member starts out the same. There's no bias of age, looks, size, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, etc. We're all 100% equal. It's all about the contributions you make. Over time, one builds a resume of sorts. Others then can glean more about the person behind the keyboard just by reading between the lines as it were. Some folks are very touchy and defensive while others are super mellow, and others have a humorous side. Some are super knowledgeable, and some are not as much. I'm probably somewhere in the middle, and I've learned a lot just reading what some of our fellow members post. Picked up a ton of knowledge here over the years.

But what unites us on this board is our love of football, and for the vast majority of us - our love of all things Texans...even though most of the time they don't deserve it. But like the whipped housewife, we always come back to our abusive spouse and hope that they have reformed and then we go on a new honeymoon where we're blissful...until the next fight.

And so it goes. So I hope SB will come back. I hope all of us can learn to be a bit more tolerant and other than that - peace and love to all my fellow fans.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

“Former Niners starter Jimmy Garoppolo, an unrestricted free agent, is seeking a mid-to-high-level starter?s contract, with the Houston Texans regarded as the likeliest destination among a group of interested teams including the Raiders and Panthers,” Silver wrote in a column published Sunday night.

Garoppolo drawing interest from Houston makes sense for several reasons. New head coach DeMeco Ryans was on San Francisco’s coaching staff for Garoppolo’s entire 49ers tenure and general manager Nick Caserio was a part of the Patriots contingency that chose to draft Jimmy G in the second round in 2014. Caserio had a front-row seat to Garoppolo’s first three-plus NFL seasons and helped facilitate his trade to the Bay Area in 2017.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
Carr went to the Saints 4 year. Next on up is veteran Garropolo. Interesting to think that the Texans go for him. Spend the est market money $7 mil but still keep the draft picks no?

Last edited:

Porky

Hall of Fame
I can't wrap my head around Jimmy G. Not for the kind of money he's looking for.

If you're signing him at 25 Mil+, you're bringing him to be "the dude" for the next 2-3 years.

You then draft a day 3 QB like Max Duggan, Tune, O'Connell or Stetson Bennett and that's your QB room for now.

You're not signing Jimmy, and then drafting Bryce or CJ.

It's also going to pinch your ability to sign FA's.

If Jimmy had a history of strong reliability, I'd actually strongly consider it. But to sign him at 25-30 mil, watch him sit in the hot tub half the season while eating up cap space that could have been used for other players....not so much.

So, I'm officially opposed for those reasons. That said, by all means, Nick should call his agent and see if he'd take something more reasonable. Maybe 15 mil would get my juices flowing a little more. And as always because I'm in the honeymoon phase. If Meco says he's our guy...then I'll find a way to get onboard with it.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
I can't wrap my head around Jimmy G. Not for the kind of money he's looking for.

If you're signing him at 25 Mil+, you're bringing him to be "the dude" for the next 2-3 years.

You then draft a day 3 QB like Max Duggan, Tune, O'Connell or Stetson Bennett and that's your QB room for now.

You're not signing Jimmy, and then drafting Bryce or CJ.

It's also going to pinch your ability to sign FA's.

If Jimmy had a history of strong reliability, I'd actually strongly consider it. But to sign him at 25-30 mil, watch him sit in the hot tub half the season while eating up cap space that could have been used for other players....not so much.

So, I'm officially opposed for those reasons. That said, by all means, Nick should call his agent and see if he'd take something more reasonable. Maybe 15 mil would get my juices flowing a little more. And as always because I'm in the honeymoon phase. If Meco says he's our guy...then I'll find a way to get onboard with it.
Yea depending on how much the cost. Not sure what he's asking or valued at but 30 mil is a lot.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Jimmy G and his agent will not find an organization willing to pony up anything close to 25M much less 30M+ annually for his services. I know O’Brien is longer in the NFL, so that eliminates any crazy shite from happening.

The Texans will be his best landing spot at 12M annually over 3 years with 24M guaranteed. He will at least get the chance to start and keep the job. If he stays healthy, that’s a good thing. If he gets injured at some point, there should be a rookie or Mills there to carry on.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I don't know the conversation that SB is referencing so I'm going to stay away from that whole subject. I will say just as a general principle that I really try very hard not to take anything personally that's said here. It's a message board. I think by its very nature, things are said that maybe we would not in a face-to-face setting. I know for me, I'm probably more adamant, more arrogant and self-assured than I would be in a more natural setting. And that's somewhat by design. In some ways, it's like a football diary of "hot takes" if you will. In person, I'm way more laid back and mellow but this board lets me explore a different side of my personality which is kind of fun.

What I do like in a message board is every member starts out the same. There's no bias of age, looks, size, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, etc. We're all 100% equal. It's all about the contributions you make. Over time, one builds a resume of sorts. Others then can glean more about the person behind the keyboard just by reading between the lines as it were. Some folks are very touchy and defensive while others are super mellow, and others have a humorous side. Some are super knowledgeable, and some are not as much. I'm probably somewhere in the middle, and I've learned a lot just reading what some of our fellow members post. Picked up a ton of knowledge here over the years.

But what unites us on this board is our love of football, and for the vast majority of us - our love of all things Texans...even though most of the time they don't deserve it. But like the whipped housewife, we always come back to our abusive spouse and hope that they have reformed and then we go on a new honeymoon where we're blissful...until the next fight.

And so it goes. So I hope SB will come back. I hope all of us can learn to be a bit more tolerant and other than that - peace and love to all my fellow fans.
I used to explore that side of my personality but it kept getting me banned from message boards. Of course, alcohol used to be involved.

I was ultra sensitive over a couple comments SB made to me close to two years ago and so I decided not to engage with him anymore. There's always that option.

As for Free Agents, I wouldn't mind Teddy Bridgewater coming in for a workout. Between he and Mills, they should be able to keep the team afloat for another year. Whether they draft another quarterback this year or not, the Texans could use another veteran presence in the room.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I hear ya banned. As for me, I’ve largely given up alcohol outside of a special occasion or in a group setting, ie a cocktail party.

A comment on Jimmy. Carr just signed for 4/150. You guys think Jimmy is going to take 12 mil? That essentially values Carr as 4 times better than Jimmy. Granted, the health has to be considered, but four times less than Carr? Anyone else buying that besides optimistic Texan? I am thinking 4/120 which is 30 mil per annum.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
I hear ya banned. As for me, I’ve largely given up alcohol outside of a special occasion or in a group setting, ie a cocktail party.

A comment on Jimmy. Carr just signed for 4/150. You guys think Jimmy is going to take 12 mil? That essentially values Carr as 4 times better than Jimmy. Granted, the health has to be considered, but four times less than Carr? Anyone else buying that besides optimistic Texan? I am thinking 4/120 which is 30 mil per annum.
Geno Smith just got 3/105. The going rate for early 30s flawed starters is 30 million plus. Jimmy G is that category and multiple teams will gladly take the chance on his health. 25 million per would be a "bargain"

12 million is clear back up money at QB these days,

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
How many teams are going to offer him a shot to start?
fwiw, The rumor mill has at least 3. My guess he will be a "starter" like he was with the 49ers.

I not really that interested Jimmy G. for the Texans unless they are using him to bridge for Richardson, Levis or Hooker.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Geno Smith just got 3/105. The going rate for early 30s flawed starters is 30 million plus. Jimmy G is that category and multiple teams will gladly take the chance on his health. 25 million per would be a "bargain"

With the insane inflationary prices for QBs, I think it makes more sense to try to build and maintain a talented team while planning to run with young QBs and then let them go after year 5 or 6... meaning, draft a QB that is NFL ready: meaning, at 2, the Texans should take Stroud or Young.

Generic Fan

He's just this guy, you know?

I think some other team is willing to take those guys before where you have them scheduled. If that is the case, would you just not take a QB this year? I'm not saying that would necessarily be a bad thing if you feel it would be a wasted pick, just saying its a gamble and a lot of teams are willing to risk it to take these guys earlier hoping they will pay off.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
With the insane inflationary prices for QBs, I think it makes more sense to try to build and maintain a talented team while planning to run with young QBs and then let them go after year 5 or 6... meaning, draft a QB that is NFL ready: meaning, at 2, the Texans should take Stroud or Young.
This is what I thought the plan has been until I saw the rumors yesterday.

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go
If average QBs are commanding this much, might as well use #2 AND a day 3 pick on QBs

vtech9

All Pro
I think some other team is willing to take those guys before where you have them scheduled. If that is the case, would you just not take a QB this year? I'm not saying that would necessarily be a bad thing if you feel it would be a wasted pick, just saying its a gamble and a lot of teams are willing to risk it to take these guys earlier hoping they will pay off.
Well, I don't really like the top QB talent this year, so I wouldn't use either of our 1st round picks on one. If that means we miss out on them, I'm good with it. I would take any of top 4 in the 2nd round, but not in the first. Because of his height and build, I would still be hesitant in taking BY before the 3rd round, and I'd pick Hooker over Young there. If we miss out on Hooker in the 3rd, I'm trying to get Jake Haener in the 5th, and maybe even Bagent in the 7th. If we miss out on a QB altogether, which I don't think we will, I'm going FA route, and drafting my QB next year. Actually, I'm going after my franchise guy next year anyway.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
This is what I thought the plan has been until I saw the rumors yesterday.
People see the linkage between Casario/Ryans and Garoppolo and think it's a natural fit. What people forget is that these guys also saw Garoppolo's limitations. Kyle Shanahan wanted Garoppolo gone, but couldn't deal him. The Patriots wanted him gone because he's a distraction. Jimmy G isn't the guy that's going to take a young QB under his wing. Does Cal think he can market Garoppolo to the Texans fanbase?

Look past the obvious and Garoppolo make little sense in Houston.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member

Geno Smith contract is not quite what was reported but still 3 for 75 with incentives and bonus to get to 105