Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Toby Gerhart news

If the Texans do draft Toby Gerhart, would he be used as a running back or a full back? Vonta Leach is about 30 now, so I don't know how many more years he will be playing, but maybe Gerhart could work his way into that position over the next 2-3 years.

How is Gerhart's blocking?

If the Texans do draft Toby Gerhart, would he be used as a running back or a full back? Vonta Leach is about 30 now, so I don't know how many more years he will be playing, but maybe Gerhart could work his way into that position over the next 2-3 years.

How is Gerhart's blocking?

He'll be a halfback...the "Toby is a fullback" thing is BSPN's way of saying "Toby is a white guy."

Good example of what you are talking about was Domanick Davis. He was never going to bust off an 80 yd run but he had fantastic first 3 step acceleration so he rarely took a loss and could hit holes as soon as they opened.

Exactly! People always wanted a back that could go 80 yards in one play, all the while overlooking what a good back Davis was. We don't necessarily need Adrian Peterson here to be successful (although it would be nice, sans the fumbles). We need a guy that has burst and good vision.

Exactly! People always wanted a back that could go 80 yards in one play, all the while overlooking what a good back Davis was. We don't necessarily need Adrian Peterson here to be successful (although it would be nice, sans the fumbles). We need a guy that has burst and good vision.

What's sad is L.White ran foe an 80 yd TD against K.C.

There have been no 80 yd TD's in Texan history by anybody not named Steve Slaton.

LaGarrett Blount has had a 69 and 72 yard TD before. I really like his balance. He doesn't go down with first hit.

When I see Gerhart, I don't see him take a hit. The NFL is going to hit this dude. I need to see what happens when someone hits him.

I'm seeing more footage of Blount and I'm sorry, that is the dude we need. Yes he's big but dude is athletic. Hurdling dudes? Running over them? Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPjKLI9u8i4&NR=1

LaGarrett Blount has had a 69 and 72 yard TD before. I really like his balance. He doesn't go down with first hit.

When I see Gerhart, I don't see him take a hit. The NFL is going to hit this dude. I need to see what happens when someone hits him.

I'm seeing more footage of Blount and I'm sorry, that is the dude we need. Yes he's big but dude is athletic. Hurdling dudes? Running over them? Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPjKLI9u8i4&NR=1

Well you can check it out if you wish. But all of the scouts and draft guru's said basically the same thing about Oklahoma's Lawrence Phillips when he came out. Sometimes too good to be true just might be a fact. I'm not against taking him by no means. Nor will I bang any club for drafting the guy. But make no mistake about it...
Legarrett is a Buyer beware guy all the way. You either get a boom or he's going to blow up in your face.

Well you can check it out if you wish. But all of the scouts and draft guru's said basically the same thing about Oklahoma's Lawrence Phillips when he came out. Sometimes too good to be true just might be a fact. I'm not against taking him by no means. Nor will I bang any club for drafting the guy. But make no mistake about it...
Legarrett is a Buyer beware guy all the way. You either get a boom or he's going to blow up in your face.

Psycho Phillips played for the Cornhuskers and he had multiple troubles while he was there...I don't know but has Blount had any infractions other than the punch after the Boise St game?

Psycho Phillips played for the Cornhuskers and he had multiple troubles while he was there...I don't know but has Blount had any infractions other than the punch after the Boise St game?

He's got a history of having issues with his coach and skipping team meetings and not showing up for workouts.

So there are definitely some character flags with this guy.

. . . . But make no mistake about it... Legarrett (sic) is a Buyer beware guy all the way. You either get a boom or he's going to blow up in your face.
Is This based on your opinion or on fact? Are you referring to the incident (blow up) that he was benched for against Boise St. or just in general. As a matter of fact in the Boise incident the other guy started it although as usual you just see the second hit.

I watched LeGarette Blount in the Senior Bowl and IMHO he was the best back in the game. Personally, I don't mind a small mean streak in our players, as long as they don't make a habit of getting thrown out of games.

Is This based on your opinion or on fact? Are you referring to the incident (blow up) that he was benched for against Boise St. or just in general. As a matter of fact in the Boise incident the other guy started it although as usual you just see the second hit.

I watched LeGarette Blount in the Senior Bowl and IMHO he was the best back in the game. Personally, I don't mind a small mean streak in our players, as long as they don't make a habit of getting thrown out of games.

Like I posted before, he's had a history of not getting along with coaches and skipping meetings and missing workouts. And he's been suspended for these things.

For TTP and me to agree about pretty much anything is rare and I've got the same sort of Lawrence Phillips danger signals going off that TTP does. Blount might be able to pull it together and become a great back in the NFL. He's definitely got the talent to do that. But his character issues are probably going to drive him down people's draft boards and totally off some draft boards... like ours.

I would be shocked if we draft him.

Blount has been a coach's nightmare going all the way back to high school. Beerlover already covered it but this guy has had disciplinary problems time and time and time again and people still keep giving him chances. You get one (two if you are lucky) chance in the NFL. Blount is a very talented football player but I am very confident in predicting that he is going to screw it all up again at some point.

Like I posted before, he's had a history of not getting along with coaches and skipping meetings and missing workouts. And he's been suspended for these things.

For TTP and me to agree about pretty much anything is rare and I've got the same sort of Lawrence Phillips danger signals going off that TTP does. Blount might be able to pull it together and become a great back in the NFL. He's definitely got the talent to do that. But his character issues are probably going to drive him down people's draft boards and totally off some draft boards... like ours.

I would be shocked if we draft him.

Count me in this group.

The difference is Phillips was a top 5 pick.

Blount will probably go in the 4th rd. The $ investment is less. If he fails to get with the program you can cut him with no reprecussions.

I wouldn't pick him before the 5th rd. He would be a great value there, and no the Texans wont take Blount

As I said elsewhere (maybe in this thread), I want Gerhart on this team. Apparently, I'm one of the few.

As I said elsewhere (maybe in this thread), I want Gerhart on this team. Apparently, I'm one of the few.

There are a good amount of us that want Gerhart. We have just become less vocal, as you can only repeat the same information so many times.

I am betting on Gerhart having a top 3 career from this RB draft class.

There are a good amount of us that want Gerhart. We have just become less vocal, as you can only repeat the same information so many times.

I just wonder if the Texans are really interested in taking him ? What one would give to see their Draft board ?
If Slaton was fully healthy, wouldn't this guy seem so obvious as our "Mr. Inside" to complement SS ?
Does this guy remind anybody of Steve Owens ?

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to having him on our team...I'd rather have CJ Spiller slip to us, but would "settle" for Toby or Mathews or Tate.

Still think we need to come out of the 7th round with 2 drafted RB's.

Who are your other two?

Spiller and Mathews?

Who are your other two?

Spiller and Mathews?

Actually, I have become less enthused with Mathews. I got caught up in the hype of the combine and such, I am getting back to watching tape.

Spiller, yes, because he can provide so many yards in so many ways.

The other back that should have a good career is Tate. While I dont think he will tear up the league, he should be a consistent 1,000 yard, 8 TD kind of player.

I'm really leaning towards Gerhart and Dwyer as my preferred running backs.

I like a big, hard running back, and if Slaton is back to his previous form it would be a great complimentary pairing.

Worst news I have ever heard, 65! Slow wink goes here. Right now we need GMs looking elsewhere, except for Smith. Thanks again for guiding me to TG when I was pushing Dwyer months ago.

Ain't that the truth. He might not be there for the Texans second round pick, and if I were a betting man I would wager quite a lot saying he won't be available at the third. If the Texans want him, they need to take him with the 2nd.

No worries, that is why I love this board. You get info on players you dont know as well, and it gives you a better look on the draft. You have done the same for me.

Back