Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Time to clean house?

Is it time to fire Bill O'Brien?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Before the season started I was clear what had to happen for BO'b to keep his job. As many different ways as I said it, getting past the divisional round was a minimum.

We didn't get past the divisional round. In fact, we invented new historical categories with the way we lost.

I'd fly BO'b to NE on my personal jet & put his family on a bus to meet him.

What do you think?
I have been one to defend OB but now I have seen enough.
We need some fresh blood.
If it had been a close win I would say no, but to surrender such a nice lead was unforgivable. You score 31 points in a game, you should win.
The defense was helpless against the Chiefs - I don't think I have seen a worse performance on D from the Texans.
So disappointing and I have no trust in O'Brien to turn it around - 6 years is enough.

We already have the preacher. We are going to get Caserio. We might as well have a true NE disciple that spent more than an office lunch with the organization.

That would be a shrewd move by Cal to fire OB and then bring in McDaniels.

One can dream.
Really think Cal would fire an ex-Patriot and bring in another one? Disclaimer: I have no idea what candidates are still available besides the obvious.

Instead of looking at potential replacement head coaches, what potential GMs are out there, besides Caserio, who would then hire a head coach? Actually, Cal could force a new GM on O'Brien and then let them decide.

Any internal HC candidates now that Vrabel is gone?

And on the GM front, I assume we're all still tired of Rick Smith? O'Brien's "GM" moves were good, maybe he can stay as GM. Ha.

Last edited:
I just posted an article basically say Obrien wants RAC back for the 2020 season. Thunderkyss I conclude Bill O'brien's job is safe. For my understanding we're not hiring a GM no time soon. Therefore, dude will not fire himself and he will make sure RAC is back for another go around.

maybe not Jerry, but you did have as stupid a play
Stagger Lee--the prototype trick play dialed up sure to give your opponent a spark! That was, as I remember, a blowout vs Denver. 34-10.

“It does seem stupid to throw a lateral pass in that situation,” Denver nose tackle Greg Kragen said. “But that’s Glanville for you.”

You remember when McNair brought in Reeves as a consultant? Does Cal bring back Rick Smith to fire OB and assist in the search for a new gm/hc?

You remember when McNair brought in Reeves as a consultant? Does Cal bring back Rick Smith to fire OB and assist in the search for a new gm/hc?
It's possible. He's trusted among "the family." Probably on the phone with Call right now for 3 hours. One positive trait Smith had was cool patience (to a fault probably)--he calmed O'Brien into waiting until after the week's game to cut Mallett after the alarm clock incident, so they'd have a backup on hand. So he can offer a reasoned approach and maybe plan ahead. Hopefully without self-interest as the priority.

I just posted an article basically say Obrien wants RAC back for the 2020 season. Thunderkyss I conclude Bill O'brien's job is safe. For my understanding we're not hiring a GM no time soon. Therefore, dude will not fire himself and he will make sure RAC is back for another go around.

I understand BO'b isn't going anywhere. I want to know who thinks he should be.

Simple yes or no question

McNair didn't care what Rick thought when he hired BO'b, why should Cal need his opinion to fire him?

Honestly, I think cal is scared of the guy.
Haha, maybe.

Cal isn't Bob McNair, and is supposedly closer to Smith, so maybe he asks for a transition plan from him. May like it, may not. But jeez, I have no clue about any of those relationships except the mostly gossip that's written. Likewise, I don't know if the players truly love O'Brien or not--they seem to and that's important, but maybe they come to a point where winning big games means more. There are other head coaches out there to love playing for.

I really haven't gotten any responses from these threads about coaching candidates, other than McDaniels and Bieniemy. Does that mean we've got almost zero options? I wish Rivera would have waited.

I really haven't gotten any responses from these threads about coaching candidates, other than McDaniels and Bieniemy. Does that mean we've got almost zero options? I wish Rivera would have waited.
There are lots of options but I think you need to find a good GM first and then hire a HC. Ireland intrigues me as GM

I wonder what happened to Urban Myer, or Lincoln Riley.

Maybe we should have a new poll: most disastrous trick play in Houston football history. Stagger Lee, Wildcat JJ, KC Fake Punt? I'm sure I'm missing some, but they're probably O'Brien plays too.

I like the Giants hiring a special teams coach for head coach. I'd think of ours, except for the mixed results of today's game. We blocked 2 FGs in the regular season, which is even harder to do these days, and the punting and coverage was great, even compared to the Lechler days. But Fairbairn and Carter's loose hands, I don't know about.

Yes, O'Brien should go. Vrabel and the Titmice surpassed him. That's enough reason, aside from the ones I previous gave.

Maybe we should have a new poll: most disastrous trick play in Houston football history. Stagger Lee, Wildcat JJ, KC Fake Punt? I'm sure I'm missing some, but they're probably O'Brien plays too.

I like the Giants hiring a special teams coach for head coach. I'd think of ours, except for the mixed results of today's game. We blocked 2 FGs in the regular season, which is even harder to do these days, and the punting and coverage was great, even compared to the Lechler days. But Fairbairn and Carter's loose hands, I don't know about.
Rosencopter.gif

Add in that stupid reverse toss back to Watson. Lol

Nothing will happen bc Texans fans will still sell out the regular season games, tailgate while getting fat and drunk, spending on merch/food/drink etc.

Why would Cal make any changes? McNairs don't want to win, they just want to make money.

Perhaps if the Titans make the Super Bowl Cal will realize the importance of coaching--especially if somehow the Titans win the Super Bowl.

If by chance Cal fires BOB - who are the candidates? How much time would a new coach get before fans call for his head? 3 years tops.

Nothing will happen bc Texans fans will still sell out the regular season games, tailgate while getting fat and drunk, spending on merch/food/drink etc.

Why would Cal make any changes? McNairs don't want to win, they just want to make money.

Perhaps if the Titans make the Super Bowl Cal will realize the importance of coaching--especially if somehow the Titans win the Super Bowl.

If by chance Cal fires BOB - who are the candidates? How much time would a new coach get before fans call for his head? 3 years tops.

Do you know how extremely hard that is for a football state. We live, eat and toilet drop football in this city and state. We spend millions on high school stadiums. And you’re suggesting us to completely stop supporting. Especially after the way we lost the Oilers back in the days.
Come on man!!!!

Not happening!!!

Not that you all need it, but here's confirmation from an outside source more objective than my emotional fan self that O'Brien's self-destructive decision making was the spark for the Kansas City Chiefs...

Do you know how extremely hard that is for a football state. We live, eat and toilet drop football in this city and state. We spend millions on high school stadiums. And you’re suggesting us to completely stop supporting. Especially after the way we lost the Oilers back in the days.
Come on man!!!!

Not happening!!!
And that is my point. Nothing will change bc $ > winning

We could have hosted the AFC Championship game! Cal's gotta be agitated by that as well as O'Brien giving up momentum in a big game yet again. And I'm sure Cal knows there's more money to be had if the Texans play in or win that game or the Super Bowl.

By the way, I love Romeo Crennell and don't think the game's passed him by. He's 70, but so is Wade Phillips, and Wade just coordinated a very successful and difficult 2019 season for the Rams.

I would try and hire the offensive coordinator of the Chiefs for HC and then fire BOB. Not sure who a good DC is out there, but I expect there is at least one. Seems pretty obvious to me that we need more speed on defense. The offense is ok, just needs someone who knows how to use it.

My only hope at this juncture is that Cal signed off on firing Gaine so quickly. I think it showed that he wouldn’t put up with much. After Bill’s press conference, it gave me the weird vibe that he felt the same way, like he knew he was on his way out.

I also just may be in phase 2 of the grieving process. I was mad, then disappointed, starting to shift into denial. But either way, it’s going to be real hard for me to have any excitement about this team regardless how our offseason goes if he’s still around.

And just think, as it stands today he is the guy heading into the offseason with $61 million cap space, Watson and tunsil needing to negotiate massive extensions, limited draft capital, and massive holes to fill. That’s incredibly dangerous

And he gave nick Martin $11 a year and Whitney mercilus $14.1 a year for being high character guys. That makes me want to absolutely vomit knowing he’s leading us into the offseason

And that is my point. Nothing will change bc $ > winning

All kinds of stuff has been changing over the last 6 years. Just not the HC.

Offensive Coordinator promoted, then fired.

General manager fired, another hired, that one fired, tried to poach another got caught tampering.

Got a new offensive coordinator.

We even got a new DC, he moved on to bigger and better.

I don't think Cal is going to fire O'Brien, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

I would try and hire the offensive coordinator of the Chiefs for HC and then fire BOB. Not sure who a good DC is out there, but I expect there is at least one. Seems pretty obvious to me that we need more speed on defense. The offense is ok, just needs someone who knows how to use it.

Is Bienemy calling plays or is he just Reid's hey boy?

I think the league is starting to find a lot of success with coaches that are great at delegating, knowing what they want to do, then hiring excellent guys under them to execute that.

As it stands today

This. X1000. If fans would just boycott even 2 home games I can GUARANTEE that changes will be made.

Back