Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Thoughts on Baltimore game

Idk I'm finding it hard to be too scared of the Ravens pass rush. They lost the vast majority of their sack production over the offseason and are relying on several unknowns to step up and provide that. The only guy on their dline who has ever had more than 6 sacks in a year is Clowney who only had 3 sacks in 2022. Also their secondary, while not awful, without Humphrey is also in a tough spot.

I'm much more scared of the Ravens offense, at this point I think the Ravens defense outside of the LB corps is living off of past reputation. I think the run will be tough but we can move the ball through the air provided we see more of game 2/3 Stroud rather than Patriots game Stroud.
Thats exactly what Im hearing from Ravens fans...so give them a dosage of DP and DS on runs up the interior and keep those chains and clock moving

Idk I'm finding it hard to be too scared of the Ravens pass rush. They lost the vast majority of their sack production over the offseason and are relying on several unknowns to step up and provide that. The only guy on their dline who has ever had more than 6 sacks in a year is Clowney who only had 3 sacks in 2022. Also their secondary, while not awful, without Humphrey is also in a tough spot.

I'm much more scared of the Ravens offense, at this point I think the Ravens defense outside of the LB corps is living off of past reputation. I think the run will be tough but we can move the ball through the air provided we see more of game 2/3 Stroud rather than Patriots game Stroud.
OK Khelar I'm hoping you know what you are talking about because there's nothing I'd like better about this game than me being dead wrong re my concerns about the Ravens defense, but if there offense is that good well atleast L.Jackson & company aren't likely to beak CJ Stroud's neck.

Depth chart on Texans’ website…

What stood out most to me:

Josh Jones starting LG. Jarrett Patterson C. I expect to see Deiter starting as a practice squad elevation but would love it if Jones has shown enough that they trust him as a starter at this point. The team really needs one of these late OL acquisitions to hit.

Jake Hansen starting SAM. Though I think it might be partially due to Cashman’s injury. Nice to see a former UDFA like Hansen work his way into a starting role on a DeMeco defense.

No punter on active roster! Have to expect Zentner on PS will be the guy. Team is waiting for another injury or for some competition to shake out at other positions prior to elevating the punter. Johnston on IR minimum 4 weeks out.
Cap & Slo plan on being 100% on 3rd down. No big deal. I'm sure Fairbairn could kick some punts if needed.

I'm definitely feeling uncomforable about this game especially after the recent injuries have downgraded our Oline.
I just hope CJ gets out of Baltimore
With a rookie coach & rookie QB on the road 10 definitely sounds conservative, maybe very conservative to me too.
I'm bracing for it because this could be an embarrassment, a blowout.
It's gonna be a tough baptism for CJ, so most of all I'm just hoping he doesn't get hurt.
It's not the typical Ravens defense. Their secondary is pretty beat up.

Agreed, this should be a great learning experience for Stroud and a defense that isn't great.

Let's get the Stroud show on the road

I do become less optimistic with the news that Howard is out. We shall see
I'm glad they're taking their time with the injured guys. Get everybody healthy by week4. Stroud will have received baptism by fire and should be ready to roll with a healthy team.

Mark Andrews sustained a grade I quad tear ~10 days ago. He just practiced for the first time since the injury today. Two weeks would normally be enough to recover. However, being less than 2 years removed from an achilles rupture, that limb will still have residual weakness........lending him to easier compensatory injury like a quad. Return Sunday will be pushing it right under the wire........a setup for problems.

It's not the typical Ravens defense. Their secondary is pretty beat up.
Agreed, this should be a great learning experience for Stroud and a defense that isn't great.

Let's get the Stroud show on the road
I’m not buying what you are selling. you know now if he fails you can’t give any I told you so’s. You are all in baby. Welcome.

I’m not buying what you are selling. you know now if he fails you can’t give any I told you so’s. You are all in baby. Welcome.

I wont have to say I told you so, I'm going to point out what's wrong along the way. There will be no need for I told you so's.

RIP to the O-line. Hopefully the defense comes through big because I'm not sure who's starting - maybe Tunsil, Jones (Broeker?), Patterson, Mason, and Fant.

really disappointed in the news about howard having a set back...you would think that professional trainers and athletes would know to have that injury elevated during recovery process...smfh...I wasnt feeling optimistic about the game on sunday but thought we could have a fighters chance...now...not so much....our right side of the Oline has been getting CJ nearly killed...I dont think it will be pretty now...smfh

Interested to see how this team handles Lamar Jackson’s mobility. I am concerned that Jimmie Ward will likely be out. His veteran presence will be needed to clear up communication issues for a new defense against an offense that will likely be throwing a lot of misdirection at them.
Yeah Jimmy W was supposed to be the Vet in this defensive system and now he's out...that's a huge blow when ur talking about going against the Ravens and their WR's and TE...

Lovie just called DeMeco to tell him to aspire to a tie each week. He was quoted as saying if it’s good enough for my shoes, it’s good enough for my Texans. Let’s go baby 0-0-17 here we come!

Lovie just called DeMeco to tell him to aspire to a tie each week. He was quoted as saying if it’s good enough for my shoes, it’s good enough for my Texans. Let’s go baby 0-0-17 here we come!
You're wrong because a stipulation in DeMeco's contract is to have a restraining order against Lovie. No calls, no texts, no visits, no social media, no 3rd party mediator, no smoke signals, no snail mail, no yard signs, no airplane banner messages, no food delivery, no coaching clinics, et cetera.

You're wrong because a stipulation in DeMeco's contract is to have a restraining order against Lovie. No calls, no texts, no visits, no social media, no 3rd party mediator, no smoke signals, no snail mail, no yard signs, no airplane banner messages, no food delivery, no coaching clinics, et cetera.

What? No mention of massages? This will not end well.

If they didn't specifically state no letterman jackets....... they just aren't really tryin to stop it.

For me, I personally get all of my messages from alphabet soup and cereal.

I can no longer eat Cheerios though that crap is haunted AF.

All it says is: "Ooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

Looks like OBJ got injured in practice this week, not likely to play. Will help narrow the defense’s focus but I don’t think he was a significant threat at this stage of his career. I’d like to see Mark Andrews inactive!

Can janitor play?
No, but the Water boy can.
giphy.gif

The Ravens rush won’t have to much to generate consistent pressure with three back ups on the O-line, I hope the offense is gonna scheme around it as much as possible, hope for the best but plan for the worst in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to be interesting to see how we handle the Ravens strong running game with their 4 RBs: Dobbins, Edwards, Hill and Jackson 😛. Monken is bringing a change in offensive philosophy but I doubt they'll completely take away a strength of Jackson's game. Besides, his most dangerous runs are probably when a play breaks down. Will DeMeco assign a spy? If so, who's the candidate?

The Ravens rush won’t have to much to generate consistent pressure with three back ups on the O-line, I hope the offense is gonna scheme around it as much as possible, hope for the best but plan for the worst in this situation.

Luckily the WCO is designed to get the ball out of the QB's hand as quickly as possible, so that the playmakers can do their thing.

Both Jones and Fant have had good seasons in the past (although Fant last year did not play up to his 2021 level which is why he was available as a free agent). Patterson is of course an unknown but at least looked decent in the preseason.

I know injuries happen but this year they are really frustrating. Last year it didn’t matter to me. But with the new additions and draft choices I selfishly just wanted to see one game whereby we might see an indicator of what we could be this season. it Will still be interesting to see the new schemes on O and D and get some backups experience for later but the what if factor will linger like all these hamstring injuries.

I know injuries happen but this year they are really frustrating. Last year it didn’t matter to me. But with the new additions and draft choices I selfishly just wanted to see one game whereby we might see an indicator of what we could be this season. it Will still be interesting to see the new schemes on O and D and get some backups experience for later but the what if factor will linger like all these hamstring injuries.

I hear ya brother. That’s the only frustrating thing about football. Much higher rate of injury than other major sports. So, I never expect to have a fully healthy 53, even on opening day. But I’m with you. It would be nice. Our depth is better than last year, but still very iffy in spots imho.

Going to be interesting to see how we handle the Ravens strong running game with their 4 RBs: Dobbins, Edwards, Hill and Jackson 😛. Monken is bringing a change in offensive philosophy but I doubt they'll completely take away a strength of Jackson's game. Besides, his most dangerous runs are probably when a play breaks down. Will DeMeco assign a spy? If so, who's the candidate?

I would have said Harris. Now I could see Ryans having Petrie spying him, with Murray and Stewart (yuck)

Looks like OBJ got injured in practice this week, not likely to play. Will help narrow the defense’s focus but I don’t think he was a significant threat at this stage of his career. I’d like to see Mark Andrews inactive!
Same here. This Texans D has never been good at covering really good TE's, and Andrews fits that bill.
I’m more worried about Zay Flowers in the slot.
This cat is fast!

I'm thinking Meco has these guys fired up to play. I can them hanging tough to the mid 3rd Q and then running out of steam. Adrenaline only goes so far. They play em tough enough to cover the spread. Defenses are always ahead of the offenses to start. Hope I'm not too far off

Same here. This Texans D has never been good at covering really good TE's, and Andrews fits that bill.

This cat is fast!

I'm thinking Meco has these guys fired up to play. I can them hanging tough to the mid 3rd Q and then running out of steam. Adrenaline only goes so far. They play em tough enough to cover the spread. Defenses are always ahead of the offenses to start. Hope I'm not too far off
Andrews is good..no doubt about that, but he's been hurt and I dont think he's 100% yet or has practiced much this year...I dont think he will be as big of an issue in this game vs him being 100% and in mid season form

I'm hoping the offense can generate a few more extended drives and help keep the defense from getting gassed.

Back