Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Thoughts on Baltimore game

Have we ever beat the Ravens with Lamar Jackson at QB? I sure don't remember it if we did, but to be honest we rarely beat them before he got there either.

Have we ever beat the Ravens with Lamar Jackson at QB? I sure don't remember it if we did, but to be honest we rarely beat them before he got there either.

We've lost the last three meetings against the Ravens, last winning 13-25 in 2014 with Arian Foster and Case Keenum but needing 6 FGs by Bullock.

NOTE: Two of those three meetings were against Jackson.

If a couple of our oline starters don't heal up by kickoff then I have almost no hope for this one. Currently LG is up in the air and we aren't sure if Scruggs or Howard will be available week 1.
what happened to scruggs?!?!
Howard was supposed to be back by week one...

Geezzzz, has there ever been a season where the Texans O-line wasn't injured and playing backups? And I would suppose this goes for a lot of teams.

Would be nice to set the tone with a nice ball control game. 20+ rushes from Pierce, simple game management from CJ, couple nice defensive plays.
If our defense manages to not get gashed, get a pick six, and have zero turnovers from the offense, we might just leave Baltimore with a W. I’ve smoked way too much weed today…

Sorry for wasting y’all’s time fellers. I’ll report myself to the mods, have a nice day.

If we can establish a run game and keep the line to gain to a reasonable down and distance...Im sure CJ can find some open targets and keep the chains moving. Our 1st string defense has looked good in preseason so hoping that the 1st string unit can continue that trend against a new Ravens offense that they were having trouble executing in the preseason...I have this one chalked down as a loss, but hoping that Cap can get his first W as a HC on the road vs the Ravens....

One thing to note is that is the OCs first game calling plays, 1st year in system for most of the players on both sides of the ball. 1st game for Stroud, if it’s a bad showing, the sky isn’t falling. By week 5 or 6 is when you can start to form some real conclusions. Lucky for them, this has gotta be the softest schedule in a decade which could cut both ways as to duplicate 2023’s win total in 2024 will take a much better showing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it could get ugly.

Early signs are showing we've been really trying to maintain and improve against the run game which has had mixed success throughout pre-season so far.

That said one thing that's been consistent is the team struggling against mobile QBs. Not a good sign when you're going up against probably the best in that category week 1.

Going to be a big learning experience for the team imo.

I think it could get ugly.

Early signs are showing we've been really trying to maintain and improve against the run game which has had mixed success throughout pre-season so far.

That said one thing that's been consistent is the team struggling against mobile QBs. Not a good sign when you're going up against probably the best in that category week 1.

Going to be a big learning experience for the team imo.
Isnt their new offense trying to turn him into a pocket passer??? Prob b/c they were getting tired of him getting injured right before the end of the year/playoffs...

The Ravens are favored by 10...........with homefield advantage, that supposedly translates into only 7 points on their independent merit. :) I believe the Ravens are not being given enough points.........Vegas just wants to make some money on suckers. ☹

Ravens have never lost a home game when favored by 10 or more points at home as long as the Texans have been in existance. 28-0

Isnt their new offense trying to turn him into a pocket passer??? Prob b/c they were getting tired of him getting injured right before the end of the year/playoffs...
Yes it definitely is but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him rip off a couple on us.

They try to set the line to get even money.

Exactly, they are not in the habit of picking winners and losers, it’s about winning no matter the outcome, and being that the vig is sufficiently large they have some margin for error if the action isn’t equal on both sides.

Exactly, they are not in the habit of picking winners and losers, it’s about winning no matter the outcome, and being that the vig is sufficiently large they have some margin for error if the action isn’t equal on both sides.

Agreed but the margin of error isn't as great as 76 makes it out to be.

Sometimes Vegas loses, But with leagues like the NFL and NBA rigging games the odds go from about 45% winning to 35-40%.

In other words, stay far away from betting on professional sports.

Depth chart on Texans’ website…

What stood out most to me:

Josh Jones starting LG. Jarrett Patterson C. I expect to see Deiter starting as a practice squad elevation but would love it if Jones has shown enough that they trust him as a starter at this point. The team really needs one of these late OL acquisitions to hit.

Jake Hansen starting SAM. Though I think it might be partially due to Cashman’s injury. Nice to see a former UDFA like Hansen work his way into a starting role on a DeMeco defense.

No punter on active roster! Have to expect Zentner on PS will be the guy. Team is waiting for another injury or for some competition to shake out at other positions prior to elevating the punter. Johnston on IR minimum 4 weeks out.

Last edited:
Josh Jones starting LG. Jarrett Patterson C. I expect to see Deiter starting as a practice squad elevation but would love it if Jones has shown enough that they trust him as a starter at this point. The team really needs one of these late OL acquisitions to hit.
They also show Jones backing up RT and Patterson backing up LG. So if Howard can't go or is ineffective do they shift with Kendrick Green taking over at C?

As always I start off pessimistic and will slowly gain optimism as kickoff approaches. At the moment there's so many unknowns going into this game (as there often are week 1). Texans have on paper improved a huge chunk of the roster but we'll see how those moves play out on the field. The Texans are also of course trotting out a totally new system on both sides of the ball.

Ravens have also implemented a new offensive system and we have no idea how that will play out either.

Ultimately it's a tough road to a victory. The Ravens don't really have a scary pass rush but their dline is solid and will likely have some success against on oline somehow missing 3 starters in week 1. Their linebacking corps is excellent as well with Queen and Smith. A potential weakness is their secondary with the loss of Humphrey but even there they have some solid talent available in Rock Ya Sin and Kyle Hamilton. Still I think the clearest path to offensive success is surprisingly through the air as long as CJ is prepared.

On defense frankly it'll also be tough. The Ravens oline is pretty good and Jackson is an electric player when healthy. Their WR corps isn't dominant. Odell is an unknown variable at this point but if he can turn back the clock a bit then he could be a problem. Zay Flowers their rookie WR is just a rookie but flashed some playmaking ability during preseason so we'll see what they have there. Rashod Bateman is a talented player still looking for his breakout year so we'll also have to wait and see there. Their most proven weapon in the passing game is Mark Andrews who will present a tough challenge for Ward/Pitre/Harris he'll get his yards the goal will just be containment there.

I wouldn't count out the Raven pass rush this year.

Chuck Smith will elevate the group.

Another reason to bet on the young players' development is the arrival of new Outside Linebackers Coach Chuck Smith, who previously ran a business exclusively training pass rushers. Smith is a former NFL defensive end and his players are buying in.

Smith talked about developing a signature move with each of the Ravens' pass rushers. He'll be key not only to unlocking the potential of Ojabo and Oweh, but also in developing fourth-round rookie Tavius Robinson and others. Link

Lots of Ravens fans are concerned with their Dline and their inability to stop the run...says the interior of that line gets gashed pretty hard and often...perhaps the 1-2 combo of DP and DS can keep the chains moving and the clock ticking...
[/QUOTE

Considering the state of the Texans o-line, this might be a match of the whose weakness can be exploited. I’m feeling like it might be tough to run the rock. Hope I’m wrong, but if Baltimore stops the run, it’s going to be a very hard day at the office for CJ and company. I just hope he gets out of there alive at this point.

Early prediction…Baltimore 27 Texans 10

I'm definitely feeling uncomforable about this game especially after the recent injuries have downgraded our Oline.
I just hope CJ gets out of Baltimore
The Ravens are favored by 10...........with homefield advantage, that supposedly translates into only 7 points on their independent merit. :) I believe the Ravens are not being given enough points.........Vegas just wants to make some money on suckers. ☹
With a rookie coach & rookie QB on the road 10 definitely sounds conservative, maybe very conservative to me too.
I'm bracing for it because this could be an embarrassment, a blowout.
It's gonna be a tough baptism for CJ, so most of all I'm just hoping he doesn't get hurt.

I'm definitely feeling uncomforable about this game especially after the recent injuries have downgraded our Oline.
I just hope CJ gets out of Baltimore
With a rookie coach & rookie QB on the road 10 definitely sounds conservative, maybe very conservative to me too.
I'm bracing for it because this could be an embarrassment, a blowout.
It's gonna be a tough baptism for CJ, so most of all I'm just hoping he doesn't get hurt.
Idk I'm finding it hard to be too scared of the Ravens pass rush. They lost the vast majority of their sack production over the offseason and are relying on several unknowns to step up and provide that. The only guy on their dline who has ever had more than 6 sacks in a year is Clowney who only had 3 sacks in 2022. Also their secondary, while not awful, without Humphrey is also in a tough spot.

I'm much more scared of the Ravens offense, at this point I think the Ravens defense outside of the LB corps is living off of past reputation. I think the run will be tough but we can move the ball through the air provided we see more of game 2/3 Stroud rather than Patriots game Stroud.

Back