Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Texans’ Firings Tracker Thread.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I can't speak for the OP, and perhaps "laughing stock" is a bit of hyperbole, but I can certainly understand the perspective that making O'Brien the Texans King will ultimately lead the franchise to such a low point that it will be a perennial joke. I'm already there, tbh. I can't take this franchise seriously anymore.

So I'm just going to grab my popcorn to watch it either blow all of our minds or slowly devolve into the much predicted shitshow. :popcorn:
Anymore of a sh!tshow than the 2-14 both he and Kubiak inherited?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That's taking for granted that most on Texans Talk live in the real world.
lol! But nope! Never took it for granted. You've got to quote my entire point:

"None of this stuff has the slightest impact in the real world, at least for me." :shades:

Anymore of a sh!tshow than the 2-14 both he and Kubiak inherited?
Yep. I predict that it's going to get worse (obviously IMO). Cal is not Bob. Cal is not a self-made man. He's tolerant of things that Bob would never have allowed.

Bill is clearly mortgaging the future and there is simply no way that one man can be competent, much less great, at three key positions with a pro football team. The probability factor is that he's going to fail, and it will be a glorious meltdown (the pressure is clearly already getting to Bill, so his Herm Edwards moment is inevitable).

The 2-14 standard will become an era, not just a single season. This kind of management from owner on down is potentially entering Browns territory.

At this point, I've become a Texans heretic. Call me Darth Toro. lol 35-3 broke me as a fan many years ago. 51-7 reaffirmed and strengthened my entertainment cynicism. Just being a football team in Houston means I'm obligated to be a fan, but that doesn't mean I'll be a shiny, happy one. That said, I won't lose my sense of humor about it. :winky:

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I live in the really real world, but I have feels in the Texans, most of my Texans feel receptors are broken.

However for me, going to another team is not an option, at least not a realistic one. When the Oilers left, I completely stopped watching football. When it was decided that Houston got another team, I was a fan before we even had a name. IF the last of my feels for the Texans dies off, I will simply walk away from football all together.

I can say I don't care, I can talk as a pessimist, but at the end of the day, if there wasn't at least a small glimmer of hope buried under all this pessimism I wouldn't be here.

That little glimmer that holds on to hope deep down is certainly in a hospital bed, while the one that the Texans refuse to get rid of..... is standing over it holding a pillow.

disaacks3

Staff member
The Texans have fired director of player engagement J.J. Moses, along with assistant strength and conditioning coach/performance therapist Billy Voltaire, assistant strength coach Jason George, executive assistant for football administration Eva Graham and pro and college scouting administrative assistant Amber Davies.
Moses was recently recognized by the NFL as having the top player engagement program in the entire league.
Gotta love it.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
From 4-12 to 2-14 is very close.
It always takes a meltdown.
If DW4 goes down again (and that's always a BIG possibility for you), with this defense, the Texans may not win a a single game, let alone 2.
I really wonder who Cal will bring in when that happens (just a matter of time IMO). :thinking:

Will he continue the consensus-building boardroom FO that his father established? Or, will he go the traditional route by getting a GM to find a HC? Or, will he give O'Brien a losing season (or two) before he makes any big changes since it is an extremely traumatic experience for a McNair to replace a head coach?

Here I am just daydreaming about a new head coach when we still have to Andy Dufresne our way through a mile of prison sewage before ever making it to that Zihuatanejo beach . . .

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
However for me, going to another team is not an option...
I'm with you. For better or worse, good times & bad, I'm married to the Texans & don't believe in divorce. Till death do we part.

I'm stuck in the position of hoping DW4 learns to overcome even BO'b. Poor dude is skiing uphill with one arm tied behind his back.

Or... I can hope BillyO gets better at what he does & start helping the cause.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I'm with you. For better or worse, good times & bad, I'm married to the Texans & don't believe in divorce. Till death do we part.

I'm stuck in the position of hoping DW4 learns to overcome even BO'b. Poor dude is skiing uphill with one arm tied behind his back.

I can't even come up with a reason to be a "fan" of another team that isn't Houston based. I just don't see the point. Either the Houston team does well or my football fanship sucks, and right now it's sucking pretty bad. We're talking black hole massive gravity sucking.

For this year at least there's the Roughnecks for an offseason distraction factor.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
From 4-12 to 2-14 is very close.
It always takes a meltdown.
If DW4 goes down again (and that's always a BIG possibility for you), with this defense, the Texans may not win a a single game, let alone 2.
Not a fan of McCarron I see.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Haven't seen enough of him in this offense.
Seems to be more of a game manager which is fine if he can manufacture wins.
Seems like a good backup QB to me He should've won a playoff game too not for the Burfict/Pacman blowup.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I can't even come up with a reason to be a "fan" of another team that isn't Houston based. I just don't see the point. Either the Houston team does well or my football fanship sucks, and right now it's sucking pretty bad. We're talking black hole massive gravity sucking.

For this year at least there's the Roughnecks for an offseason distraction factor.
So you're saying our only hope for a divorce with the Texans is if they move to another city. . . :thinking: I can relate. . .

The Texans have fired director of player engagement J.J. Moses, along with assistant strength and conditioning coach/performance therapist Billy Voltaire, assistant strength coach Jason George, executive assistant for football administration Eva Graham and pro and college scouting administrative assistant Amber Davies.
It's so bizarre to me to fire an executive assistant and administrative assistant. I'm not saying one should have permanent job security but if we're going down a list of who should be on the chopping block, an administrative and executive assistant would be pretty close to the bottom of the list.

I greatly dislike O'Brien as a play caller. My overall dislike of him is not going to stop me from rooting for the Texans. I, and anyone else who has been here since the beginning, have suffered through way too many terrible teams and terrible quarterbacks to give up now that we finally have a franchise QB. If not for Watson, I would've bounced after the "inmates running the asylum" remark that Bob McNair made. That comment just irked me so much and still does to this day.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah

Anyone know if this is a good hire?

~The Houston Texans are moving to fill their coaching staff and with a vacant outside linebacker coaching position, they have filled it with Tennessee Volunteer outside linebacker coach/co-defensive coordinator Chris Rumph.

~In 2019, the Volunteer defense had the third-most sacks in the SEC with 34. 15.5 sacks came from the outside linebackers with Darrell Taylor leading the way with 8.5 sacks.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

Anyone know if this is a good hire?

~The Houston Texans are moving to fill their coaching staff and with a vacant outside linebacker coaching position, they have filled it with Tennessee Volunteer outside linebacker coach/co-defensive coordinator Chris Rumph.

~In 2019, the Volunteer defense had the third-most sacks in the SEC with 34. 15.5 sacks came from the outside linebackers with Darrell Taylor leading the way with 8.5 sacks.
He has extensive experience with respected results.

CHRIS RUMPH "CURRICULUM VITAE"

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I dunno what are the tasks of an NFL quality control coach ?
An NFL quality control coach is actually a "prep coach" much like an intern. Here's a detailed description of the job description.

'" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" width="728" height="90" style="box-sizing: border-box; text-decoration: inherit; vertical-align: inherit; font-family: inherit; font-size: inherit; font-style: inherit; line-height: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; width: 728px; height: 90px; border: 0px;">

The Role of an NFL Quality Control Coach

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
It's so bizarre to me to fire an executive assistant and administrative assistant. I'm not saying one should have permanent job security but if we're going down a list of who should be on the chopping block, an administrative and executive assistant would be pretty close to the bottom of the list.
It's truly bizarre and has been going on for awhile. He's upending lives of people who don't affect on field performance and seems to not have a care about it.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
It's truly bizarre and has been going on for awhile. He's upending lives of people who don't affect on field performance and seems to not have a care about it.
Unless you truly believe that the organisational structure was causing a lack of synergy at the levels that do affect performance.

Im shocked beyond belief that they are making this level of accommodation for OBrien’s never ending rebuilds, but it is obvious that the ownership have seen issues with the GM as the problem for OB and having cleared that hurdle for the second time of asking have now restructured the front office to align with HC/GM OB.

If Caserio does come in it will make a lot of sense, it’s clear the McNair’s have faith in Bill O’Brien. The faith is bizarre, but the restructure makes sense in that light.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
These were holdovers from the failed RS regime and BOB is cleaning house/flushing the toilet.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
If there was any doubt as to how player negotiations would be handled, per McClain:
As the general manager, Bill O’Brien is involved in contract negotiations, as is executive vice president of football operations Jack Easterby. Kevin Krajcovic, who’s been the football administration coordinator and is entering his 14th season with the Texans, has replaced Chris Olsen as the lead negotiator and salary cap expert. Krajcovic, O’Brien and Easterby met with agents in Indianapolis.

Pollardized

Division Champ
J.J. is a good friend of mine from my days at Lakewood Church. I talked to him recently about his dismissal, the whole Jack situation, and what he thought about the organization as a whole. Now, you must know a little something about J.J. Moses to truly appreciate a conversation with him. He’s the most upbeat person, never says a bad or negative word about anyone, when you’re with him people flock to him. Everyone loves J.J. I’ve witnessed it firsthand on too many occasions to count. Watch some videos if you need to see what I’m talking about. The guy leads by example. Other former players and Texan personnel that I’ve met all love the guy. He’s the kind of guy who’s very spiritual, very “religious” as some might call him, but never crams his beliefs down your throat. When things are bad in my life, he messages my wife and tells her he’s praying for me and he knows I’m a good man, that God has a plan for each and every one of our life’s and that everything will be better. But he never preaches to me. No matter what I post on Facebook (he and I are friends so he sees it all), he doesn’t message me and say “man brother you’re living wrong” or anything like that. He just believes and prays for you and let’s you be you. If you go to him for advice, there is no one better to talk to. If you’re in a bad place and you need a brother to talk to, he’s your guy.

Now, knowing that about J.J. Moses, he was fired because, according to BOB, he was “too positive” for the Texans and the NFL. That’s what Bill O’Brien told him when he was fired. He was too positive. How in the world does that make any sense?

Remember when those stories came out recently with Jack supposedly calling players and asking them to speak out in favor of him to the media? J.J. Told me that players were texting and calling him and saying Jack had hit them up and asked them to do it. What should they say? So they contacted J.J. A year after being fired Texans players were reaching out to J.J. For advice on how to handle this situation.

You know the funny part of all this - I gave J.J. every opportunity to badmouth Jack, BOB, or anyone else on Kirby. I threw softballs out there for him to get a reaction. Not one bad word about any of them. He stayed positive and wishes them all the best. I believe he knows he’s better now not being a part of that mess. He’s good friends with Andre Johnson, he said to look at what Andre said. Andre, the guy who never speaks, spoke out.

The Texans are THE biggest joke in professional sports right now. I wouldn’t spend 10 cents on any of their crappy games or merchandise now. It’s sad how far we’ve fallen as a franchise. We may have not always had the best teams or put the best people in position to win, but you could always at least feel like they were trying to do the “right” things, even if they screwed it up. Now days, they have lost all hope of doing things the right way.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
J.J. is a good friend of mine from my days at Lakewood Church. I talked to him recently about his dismissal, the whole Jack situation, and what he thought about the organization as a whole. Now, you must know a little something about J.J. Moses to truly appreciate a conversation with him. He’s the most upbeat person, never says a bad or negative word about anyone, when you’re with him people flock to him. Everyone loves J.J. I’ve witnessed it firsthand on too many occasions to count. Watch some videos if you need to see what I’m talking about. The guy leads by example. Other former players and Texan personnel that I’ve met all love the guy. He’s the kind of guy who’s very spiritual, very “religious” as some might call him, but never crams his beliefs down your throat. When things are bad in my life, he messages my wife and tells her he’s praying for me and he knows I’m a good man, that God has a plan for each and every one of our life’s and that everything will be better. But he never preaches to me. No matter what I post on Facebook (he and I are friends so he sees it all), he doesn’t message me and say “man brother you’re living wrong” or anything like that. He just believes and prays for you and let’s you be you. If you go to him for advice, there is no one better to talk to. If you’re in a bad place and you need a brother to talk to, he’s your guy.

Now, knowing that about J.J. Moses, he was fired because, according to BOB, he was “too positive” for the Texans and the NFL. That’s what Bill O’Brien told him when he was fired. He was too positive. How in the world does that make any sense?

Remember when those stories came out recently with Jack supposedly calling players and asking them to speak out in favor of him to the media? J.J. Told me that players were texting and calling him and saying Jack had hit them up and asked them to do it. What should they say? So they contacted J.J. A year after being fired Texans players were reaching out to J.J. For advice on how to handle this situation.

You know the funny part of all this - I gave J.J. every opportunity to badmouth Jack, BOB, or anyone else on Kirby. I threw softballs out there for him to get a reaction. Not one bad word about any of them. He stayed positive and wishes them all the best. I believe he knows he’s better now not being a part of that mess. He’s good friends with Andre Johnson, he said to look at what Andre said. Andre, the guy who never speaks, spoke out.

The Texans are THE biggest joke in professional sports right now. I wouldn’t spend 10 cents on any of their crappy games or merchandise now. It’s sad how far we’ve fallen as a franchise. We may have not always had the best teams or put the best people in position to win, but you could always at least feel like they were trying to do the “right” things, even if they screwed it up. Now days, they have lost all hope of doing things the right way.
JJ seems like a great guy.

What do you nean by doing things the right way?

If doing things the right way is a continuation of the last 18 yrs then we will have to disagree.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Now, you must know a little something about J.J. Moses to truly appreciate a conversation with him. He’s the most upbeat person, never says a bad or negative word about anyone, when you’re with him people flock to him. Everyone loves J.J. I’ve witnessed it firsthand on too many occasions to count. Watch some videos if you need to see what I’m talking about. The guy leads by example. Other former players and Texan personnel that I’ve met all love the guy
So the Texans had a real character coach, all along. Pretty sure Easterby had O'Brien fire Moses.

Pollardized

Division Champ
JJ seems like a great guy.

What do you nean by doing things the right way?

If doing things the right way is a continuation of the last 18 yrs then we will have to disagree.
No, definitely not the right way as far as building a competitive NFL team on the field each week. I mean, to me anyways, the Texans are the most perfect example of mediocrity there ever was. From the beginning, even the team name “Texans” was picked because it was deemed non-controversial and probably not offensive to most people. So from the start this team has always chosen to take the high road, not make big signings of “bad boy” players who had baggage but potential to really help your team at a cheap, non-crippling salary cap hit. And I truly believe Bob McNair operated that way from day 1. Didn’t help the product on the field, but every move and non-move the Texans made seemed to align with that ideology. Now they are all over the place. Nothing makes sense and one move doesn’t align with other moves. It’s a complete cluster **** on Kirby.

Pollardized

Division Champ
So the Texans had a real character coach, all along. Pretty sure Easterby had O'Brien fire Moses.
Exactly, they had a great character coach whom the players connected with and trusted. Jack didn’t like that. He is the team savior. He is supposed to be the positive, motivational guy, not J.J, so he had him removed. He was a threat to Jack and anyone like that will be removed from the Texans organization.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No, definitely not the right way as far as building a competitive NFL team on the field each week. I mean, to me anyways, the Texans are the most perfect example of mediocrity there ever was. From the beginning, even the team name “Texans” was picked because it was deemed non-controversial and probably not offensive to most people. So from the start this team has always chosen to take the high road, not make big signings of “bad boy” players who had baggage but potential to really help your team at a cheap, non-crippling salary cap hit. And I truly believe Bob McNair operated that way from day 1. Didn’t help the product on the field, but every move and non-move the Texans made seemed to align with that ideology. Now they are all over the place. Nothing makes sense and one move doesn’t align with other moves. It’s a complete cluster **** on Kirby.
Good to see you back again, it's always good talking football with you.

The recent moves like trading Hopkins shows that ideology is on steroids, particularly with Janice owning the team and Easterby (Whether people judge him as a phony or not, I prefer not to judge people but try to stay as far away from people like Easterby as possible.) in the building. Hopefully this changes with Caserio now running the football side of the operation, but I have my doubts.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Exactly, they had a great character coach whom the players connected with and trusted. Jack didn’t like that. He is the team savior. He is supposed to be the positive, motivational guy, not J.J, so he had him removed. He was a threat to Jack and anyone like that will be removed from the Texans organization.
Are you telling me you can have a character coach that no one knows is even employed by the team, isn’t in the headlines everyday and having multiple SI articles written about him, and isn’t drawing the ire of fans, media, players, behind the scenes employees, and presidents of business operations on a daily basis?

Fascinating.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Are you telling me you can have a character coach that no one knows is even employed by the team, isn’t in the headlines everyday and having multiple SI articles written about him, and isn’t drawing the ire of fans, media, players, behind the scenes employees, and presidents of business operations on a daily basis?

Fascinating.
His internal audit dug up dirt. Why do you think all of this stuff got out to SI?

People dont like change. What I find funny is most people including myself have been clamoring for change for yrs. Change finally is happening and people in general dont like change even though it's obvious change was badly needed.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Fascinating.
Something’s wrong with him if he’s been in the league for 20 years & never been an EVP of team development.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

The Texans are THE biggest joke in professional sports right now. I wouldn’t spend 10 cents on any of their crappy games or merchandise now. It’s sad how far we’ve fallen as a franchise. We may have not always had the best teams or put the best people in position to win, but you could always at least feel like they were trying to do the “right” things, even if they screwed it up. Now days, they have lost all hope of doing things the right way. I am sure that JJ will land on his feet no matter what path he chooses (so will Amy).
JJ [Moses] from all that I had always heard (even back in his playing days) was the epitome of positive. JJ Moses and PR exec Amy Palcic were both dismissed at the beckoning of Easterby. O'Brien had nothing to do with either's firings. Amy was unenthusiatic re. covering up Easterby's hold on the Texasn. JJ's positivity was a direct threat to Easterby's player/team "ambassadorship/counseling." JJ's goal was never intended to "control," just to guide. The contrast cerrtainly was evident to all the players, if not many in the front office............unfortunately, Cal McNair has never been sharp enough to evaluate or appreciate good honest advice.

Pollardized

Division Champ
JJ [Moses] from all that I had always heard (even back in his playing days) was the epitome of positive. JJ Moses and PR exec Amy Palcic were both dismissed at the beckoning of Easterby. O'Brien had nothing to do with either's firings. Amy was unenthusiatic re. covering up Easterby's hold on the Texasn. JJ's positivity was a direct threat to Easterby's player/team "ambassadorship/counseling." JJ's goal was never intended to "control," just to guide. The contrast cerrtainly was evident to all the players, if not many in the front office............unfortunately, Cal McNair has never been sharp enough to evaluate or appreciate good honest advice.
I agree completely and that’s what I got from JJ, that he wasn’t a fit with Easterby’s “culture”. BOB just delivered the message that he was being let go. JJ was a Texans ambassador for years, then hired into the position of Director of Player Engagement by Brian Gaine. Seems like he was part of the Gaine hiring purge maybe. There would be absolutely no reason to fire a guy who was just recognized as having the best player engagement program in the NFL. This is literally the program designed to help all players on your team - current and past - have a better life both while actively playing in the NFL and beyond. Being thought of as the best program in the NFL would be a great selling point to free agents looking for a home, retaining top talent when they have a choice to leave, etc. The fact that the Texans fired JJ Moses is one of the biggest red flags in all the firings period.

From the Houston Press - “The big name on this list is Moses, who was brought in by Brian Gaine to oversee player engagement and create a system that was a world class player engagement system, by NFL standards. Moses, who played wide receiver and returned kicks for the Texans in the early years of the franchise as a player, did just that, with his player engagement system getting recognized as the very best in the NFL. It's a head scratching move, given how crucial words like "culture" and "on boarding" have been to O'Brien when discussing personnel. Moses is an incredibly positive person, who ostensibly was doing what was asked of him.”

I wasn’t even sure what the NFL player engagement program was about until
reading this - https://operations.nfl.com/inside-football-ops/players-legends/nfl-player-engagement/