Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Texans’ Firings Tracker Thread.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I see your point and that would be fine EXCEPT he wants paid like those guys that do put in the extra work. Also just trying to improve your technique and trying something other than your go to bull rush move that's not asking a guy to go above and beyond that just asking him to keep trying improve as the game changing. Just like we want Watson to keep learning and developing its not to much to want him to improve to and so far he hasn't shown that he's trying
I agree with you about the pay part, disagree with the other parts of your post. But i want you to think about your own job.

Do you go all out at your job every single day? are you constantly grinding to be the best whatever it is you do every single day you show up to work? Are you always working on new ways to do what you do? I'm guessing no. I'll also guess you wouldn't characterize yourself as lazy for not doing those things every single day and/or getting things accomplished the best way you prefer to do them although they might not be the most efficient. I'll take 1 more guess and say that regardless of how you do what you do & how often you mail it in at work, you'd still be seeking the most pay you could from any potential employer who wanted your services.

You can't say that the kid hasn't been trying to improve b/c truthfully none of us really know what he does or has done, we're not at practice everyday. Regardless, though he's still considered 1 of the best at his position by more than a few folks around here and in NFL circles.

He's just like alot of guys in the league who love playing the game, but they don't enjoy the grind of it. But that still doesn't equivocate to him being lazy.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I agree with you about the pay part, disagree with the other parts of your post. But i want you to think about your own job.

Do you go all out at your job every single day? are you constantly grinding to be the best whatever it is you do every single day you show up to work? Are you always working on new ways to do what you do? I'm guessing no. I'll also guess you wouldn't characterize yourself as lazy for not doing those things every single day and/or getting things accomplished the best way you prefer to do them although they might not be the most efficient. I'll take 1 more guess and say that regardless of how you do what you do & how often you mail it in at work, you'd still be seeking the most pay you could from any potential employer who wanted your services.

You can't say that the kid hasn't been trying to improve b/c truthfully none of us really know what he does or has done, we're not at practice everyday. Regardless, though he's still considered 1 of the best at his position by more than a few folks around here and in NFL circles.

He's just like alot of guys in the league who love playing the game, but they don't enjoy the grind of it. But that still doesn't equivocate to him being lazy.
Well actually I do consider myself lazy but that's beside the point. :spin:

We'll have to agree to disagree on it because even in my own job if I know there is something that could help me improve my job opportunities and pay scale yeah I do make some effort to learn it. Of course being in IT if I just try and coast for to long then my field passes me by and I'm obsolete. The NFL isn't much different, if guys just rely on the same thing year after year then the game passes them by.

You're right we aren't at practice everyday but we do see the results and his results say that he has not improved. Maybe he really has been trying and this is his ceiling but given his clear natural abilities I don't think so. The biggest evidence to me is again he hasn't improved and he is still doing the same things now that he did his rookie year. On the other hand though this was a contract year and he certainly didn't play well enough to convince a team he was worth Mack money and if there was ever a year to do so this was it so maybe he really has just reached his limit.

Either way he's not our problem anymore and we have totally derailed the thread so I won't post anymore about this here.

frethack

Rookie
You’re both missing the point. And people always talking about how lazy someone is. That man worked his butt off to get back on the field and hasn’t sustained another major injury.
...or developed a counter pass rushing move.

Im a Clowney fan (check my posts to verify), but the kid hasn't lived up to his considerable talent thus far. There could be a lot of variables to why he hasn't been consistently great. The three simplest explanations are that he lacks talent (obviously untrue), that injuries have taken a toll (certainly a possibility) and that he lacks the drive to be consistently great (also a possibility).

In hindsight (from a Clowney homer who said he was just as good as Khalil Mack before the season started) any combination of the above variables should disqualify him from a 100+ mil contract from the Texans. Bullet dodged IMHO.

That said...we should have been able to get a 1st and then some for him.

Texansballer74

The Marine
...or developed a counter pass rushing move.

Im a Clowney fan (check my posts to verify), but the kid hasn't lived up to his considerable talent thus far. There could be a lot of variables to why he hasn't been consistently great. The three simplest explanations are that he lacks talent (obviously untrue), that injuries have taken a toll (certainly a possibility) and that he lacks the drive to be consistently great (also a possibility).

In hindsight (from a Clowney homer who said he was just as good as Khalil Mack before the season started) any combination of the above variables should disqualify him from a 100+ mil contract from the Texans. Bullet dodged IMHO.

That said...we should have been able to get a 1st and then some for him.
K. Mack or A. Donald didn’t play up to their contracts this season. But to be honest I don’t care about these ballers contracts. Not my place to worry about another man dinero. I was only responding to the lazy part.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
K. Mack or A. Donald didn’t play up to their contracts this season. But to be honest I don’t care about these ballers contracts. Not my place to worry about another man dinero. I was only responding to the lazy part.
I dont think Clowney's lazy.

I think injuries have robbed him of the ability to run the arc or change directions as quickly as he needs too. He's still fast in a straight line though.

michaelm

vox nihili
Granato broke the JD Clowney trade weeks before it went down. Remember that some people just go after the low hanging fruit. Where there is smoke .. there is fire.

This team and management personnel are a laughingstock nationally and they try to insulate that idea by surrounding OBrien with people who will not rock the boat similar to what Prez Cheeto has done in Washington. If anybody says anything mean and negative then they are fired and nothing is wrong right?
Can you point me to articles and information about them being a laughing stock nationally? I haven't seen any myself

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Can you point me to articles and information about them being a laughing stock nationally? I haven't seen any myself
I agree that alot of people exaggerate when they say this. But, I live in the Bay Area of California and everyone knows I'm a Texans fan. It's pretty unanimous around here that people are surprised we haven't gotten rid of BOB yet. So they aren't "laughing" at us over here, but they feel we aren't getting anywhere under this regime.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree that alot of people exaggerate when they say this. But, I live in the Bay Area of California and everyone knows I'm a Texans fan. It's pretty unanimous around here that people are surprised we haven't gotten rid of BOB yet. So they aren't "laughing" at us over here, but they feel we aren't getting anywhere under this regime.
Where do you live in California and what do they think of DW4? In Vegas (People from around the world) they think DW4 is avg.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Where do you live in California and what do they think of DW4? In Vegas (People from around the world) they think DW4 is avg.
Vegas people want to make money, so most likely they wouldn't bet on the Texans, especially with our coaching staff.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I live in the South Bay, about a 50 min drive to San Francisco. 90% of my friends are 49ers fans, the other 10 are still holding onto the Raiders.

Everyone here, that I talk football with, is high on DW4. Before they traded for Jimmy G, and the 9ers were sucking, majority of the guys were hoping to draft DW4 (this is before guys like Trubisky and Mahomes increased their draft stock, though).

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Texans have fired director of player engagement J.J. Moses, along with assistant strength and conditioning coach/performance therapist Billy Voltaire, assistant strength coach Jason George, executive assistant for football administration Eva Graham and pro and college scouting administrative assistant Amber Davies.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I don't know about that "people around the world" thing, steelb.
When I visit other MB, the fans never took DW4, Hopkins, and Fuller lightly (not counting "homers" that often talk up their own guys before the game- which is universal).

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I don't know about that "people around the world" thing, steelb.
When I visit other MB, the fans never took DW4, Hopkins, and Fuller lightly (not counting "homers" that often talk up their own guys before the game- which is universal).
I agree that Steel's take on Watson is a little overblown. He is not a QB that you can just go out there and play against and hope to win you have to actually plan for him and figure out how you are going to attack him. Now once teams do that then we start to see some of his weaknesses but no you can't take him lightly. My biggest fear with Watson is that he is a more advanced Jamies Winston. Not in regards to the turn overs, nobody beats Winston on that, but in that you are never sure what version of Watson you are going to get. Are you going to get the Watson that carved up the Pats and made the Bills look like they were playing backyard football or are you going to get the Watson we saw against the Chiefs and last year's Colts. People forget about Winston that when he is on his game he is one of the most dangerous QBs in the league and would be up there with Watson, Mahomes and Jimmy G if he could stay consistent.

The problem the Texans have is not only do you not know what QB will show up but you don't know which HC will show up. Are you going to get the OB that called the London Jags game who is as good as anybody in the league or are you going to get the OB that called for a fake punt. Its why I think this OB vs Watson argument is so stupid. Very rarely have we seen a game where one is on point and the other is off, usually they both are either on point or make you want to throw both out and start over. I've said it before but it is entirely possible for multiple parts of the Texans to suck at the same time.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
Not Amber! - well, I'm afraid it's true, we are a dumpster fire.

Let's go, Roughnecks!

:kitten:
Replying to myself, so I can chastise myself a little bit - trying to make light of another round of dismissals where everyone will read into it what they want. But in the case of Amber Davies who is a regular person doing a regular job - and not one of the highly compensated (in some cased overly so) players/coaches/executives.

So I don't want to make light of someone losing their livelihood.

My apologies.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Replying to myself, so I can chastise myself a little bit - trying to make light of another round of dismissals where everyone will read into it what they want. But in the case of Amber Davies who is a regular person doing a regular job - and not one of the highly compensated (in some cased overly so) players/coaches/executives.

So I don't want to make light of someone losing their livelihood.

My apologies.
If I know Amber she’ll bounce back just fine.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
The Texans have fired director of player engagement J.J. Moses, along with assistant strength and conditioning coach/performance therapist Billy Voltaire, assistant strength coach Jason George, executive assistant for football administration Eva Graham and pro and college scouting administrative assistant Amber Davies.
Wow, they're really serious about "coaching better" "working harder" LOL. Hopefully they can that crappy custodial technician that's been holding us back also.....

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I agree that Steel's take on Watson is a little overblown. He is not a QB that you can just go out there and play against and hope to win you have to actually plan for him and figure out how you are going to attack him. Now once teams do that then we start to see some of his weaknesses but no you can't take him lightly. My biggest fear with Watson is that he is a more advanced Jamies Winston. Not in regards to the turn overs, nobody beats Winston on that, but in that you are never sure what version of Watson you are going to get. Are you going to get the Watson that carved up the Pats and made the Bills look like they were playing backyard football or are you going to get the Watson we saw against the Chiefs and last year's Colts. People forget about Winston that when he is on his game he is one of the most dangerous QBs in the league and would be up there with Watson, Mahomes and Jimmy G if he could stay consistent.

The problem the Texans have is not only do you not know what QB will show up but you don't know which HC will show up. Are you going to get the OB that called the London Jags game who is as good as anybody in the league or are you going to get the OB that called for a fake punt. Its why I think this OB vs Watson argument is so stupid. Very rarely have we seen a game where one is on point and the other is off, usually they both are either on point or make you want to throw both out and start over. I've said it before but it is entirely possible for multiple parts of the Texans to suck at the same time.
I've been saying that O'Brien play design and scheme is all over the place.
With the quick turn-over in players in the NFL today, a succesful OC is one that can realize this and streamline the offense.
It makes things easier to teach and for the players to grasp and execute efficiently.

It's probably the main reason why the Texans mostly have a slow start in the games this year.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
USA Today:
How is Bill O'Brien still the Texans coach after the 51-31 collapse to the Chiefs?

USA Today:
Most coaches don't survive Bill O'Brien-level playoff collapses

USA Today:
Texans should fire Bill O'Brien and hire Eric Bieniemy, who just embarrassed Houston

SB Nation:
The Texans would be better off if they fired Bill O’Brien

NY Post:
Bill O’Brien ruined the Texans with bonehead fake punt

The Athletic:
Why the Texans’ collapse against the Chiefs is Bill O’Brien’s worst playoff loss yet

Sporting News:
The Texans are letting Bill O'Brien compromise the future of the franchise
(this was in Sept 2019, but reveals the national perception was already starting to chuckle. . .)

The above was quickly obtained with a simple Google search. I'm fairly certain I would find more if I bothered to keep digging.

What it does not include is the various mentions on ESPN, NFLN, NBC Sports, and various national radio shows.

Most owners lack the seemingly infinite patience that the McNairs possess with regards to their undying devotion to Bill O'Brien.

But the simple fact is that in 100 years of the NFL, no HC that failed to make it to a conference championship game within 6 seasons ever accomplished anything significant.

And I believe it is foolish to think that the Texans / O'Brien will somehow break that historical trend.

michaelm

vox nihili
USA Today:
How is Bill O'Brien still the Texans coach after the 51-31 collapse to the Chiefs?

USA Today:
Most coaches don't survive Bill O'Brien-level playoff collapses

USA Today:
Texans should fire Bill O'Brien and hire Eric Bieniemy, who just embarrassed Houston

SB Nation:
The Texans would be better off if they fired Bill O’Brien

NY Post:
Bill O’Brien ruined the Texans with bonehead fake punt

The Athletic:
Why the Texans’ collapse against the Chiefs is Bill O’Brien’s worst playoff loss yet

Sporting News:
The Texans are letting Bill O'Brien compromise the future of the franchise
(this was in Sept 2019, but reveals the national perception was already starting to chuckle. . .)

The above was quickly obtained with a simple Google search. I'm fairly certain I would find more if I bothered to keep digging.

What it does not include is the various mentions on ESPN, NFLN, NBC Sports, and various national radio shows.

Most owners lack the seemingly infinite patience that the McNairs possess with regards to their undying devotion to Bill O'Brien.

But the simple fact is that in 100 years of the NFL, no HC that failed to make it to a conference championship game within 6 seasons ever accomplished anything significant.

And I believe it is foolish to think that the Texans / O'Brien will somehow break that historical trend.
I think O'Brien should have been fired too, but I don't interpret those articles as saying the Texans are a national laughing stock. Although I only skimmed them

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Texans have promoted D’Anton Lynn to DB coach with Anthony Midget joining Titans. Lynn, the son of Chargers HC Anthony Lynn, joined the Texans as an assistant secondary coach in 2018.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
It’s official. OB is officially wearing the GM title. Easterby is Executive Vice President of Football Operations. Ain’t gonna be no Caserio or anybody else.
Groan. Unless he's relieved of his coaching duties, we may as well hope for an expansion team in San Antonio. The Toros are going to suffer for a long, long time.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I'll believe that when it actually happens. Why would he come here without a promotion?
After being, what many would call, being held back against his will from advancing himself and doing what he wanted to do last year, he wants out of NE. Also for $$$$$$ (his annual salary has been $2 million, significantly lower than most GMs in the League, despite the fact that he carried most of the responsibilities of that position in NE) and he would serve to share both GM and personnel duties, and be united with O'Brien. Titles would probably be a secondary thought to him at this point.

Last edited:

KarlK

Waterboy
After being, what many would call, being held back against his will from advancing himself and doing what he wanted to do last year, he wants out of NE. Also for $$$$$$ (his annual salary has been $2 million, significantly lower than most GMs in the League, despite the fact that he carried most of the responsibilities of that position in NE) and he would serve to share both GM and personnel duties, and be united with O'Brien. Titles would probably be a secondary thought to him at this point.
You have no earthly clue what Caserio thinks or wants.

Plus, nobody wants Caserio here to "share" anything with O'Brien or anyone else. We would want him here to be the GM. The only GM.

Last edited:

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
So ALL the Rick Smith and Kubiak staff members are gone now right? NOW there is no more excuses .. Poor Suzy from HR had to pay the price for 51-7 !! LMAOOOOO

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think O'Brien should have been fired too, but I don't interpret those articles as saying the Texans are a national laughing stock. Although I only skimmed them
I can't speak for the OP, and perhaps "laughing stock" is a bit of hyperbole, but I can certainly understand the perspective that making O'Brien the Texans King will ultimately lead the franchise to such a low point that it will be a perennial joke. I'm already there, tbh. I can't take this franchise seriously anymore.

So I'm just going to grab my popcorn to watch it either blow all of our minds or slowly devolve into the much predicted shitshow. :popcorn:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Eh, you guys are "torturing" yourselves.

I've been off the Rockets basically since they've brought in Morey & his philosophy of how to build a team....really checked out on them when they brought in Harden..no stress at all.

If you're that put off, go support another team..its just as simple as that.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It's ALL just entertainment. :spin:

I don't get emotional about this stuff. If it appears I do, I'm just in the so-called "fan bubble" and playing a fanatic on the internet. :fans:

None of this stuff has the slightest impact in the real world, at least for me. Beyond y'all, I rarely talk to anyone about the Texans. I'd rather chat about heavy metal music. :headbang:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

I don't get emotional about this stuff. If it appears I do, I'm just in the so-called "fan bubble" and playing a fanatic on the internet. :fans:

None of this stuff has the slightest impact in the real world, at least for me. Beyond y'all, I rarely talk to anyone about the Texans. I'd rather chat about heavy metal music. :headbang:
Of course it's entertainment, but it can still jack with your emotions. You shouldn't let it rule how you live your life, of course, but you go fishing with your buds and the fish aren't biting. Sure, at the end of the day you got to hang with your peeps and drink a few pops, but it still sucks not to have some fish in the cooler. No different with football. You watch the game, hang with your peeps, drink a few pops, and all of that is great, then the team stinks the joint up.

Whatever entertainment it is you choose to entertain you, it still requires your valuable time. You go to a highly anticipated movie and it turns out the plot is full of holes, the acting was bad, then you feel your valuable time is wasted.

Yeah, it's just entertainment, and doesn't mean much in the big picture, but it's still impactful to you because it's your time.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Of course it's entertainment, but it can still jack with your emotions. You shouldn't let it rule how you live your life, of course, but you go fishing with your buds and the fish aren't biting. Sure, at the end of the day you got to hang with your peeps and drink a few pops, but it still sucks not to have some fish in the cooler. No different with football. You watch the game, hang with your peeps, drink a few pops, and all of that is great, then the team stinks the joint up.

Whatever entertainment it is you choose to entertain you, it still requires your valuable time. You go to a highly anticipated movie and it turns out the plot is full of holes, the acting was bad, then you feel your valuable time is wasted.

Yeah, it's just entertainment, and doesn't mean much in the big picture, but it's still impactful to you because it's your time.
I get it. I used to get really wrapped up in this stuff. 35-3 broke me of that bad habit.

I guess the older I get, the more I base my perspective on the things I can control/influence vs. the things I can't change.

Fishing I can actively influence. Find another spot, use different bait, go at a different time. . .whatever it is, I have an active roll in the outcome to a certain extent.

Spectator entertainment? Regardless if it's sports, movies, concerts, etc., at the end of the day, I am utterly powerless and just refuse to let that stuff seriously impact me. I'm not saying that I didn't have a feeling of "meh" and slight frustration after the 51-7 run...but then again, I did walk away when I realized it was a lost cause at halftime. Ultimately, I eventually find the humor in it and continue to have some fun in spite of how much they poop their own pants.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

That's taking for granted that most on Texans Talk live in the real world.