Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Texans’ Firings Tracker Thread.

TejasTom

All Pro
I'm trying to understand what Olsen did wrong.

Wonder if theres legit reason he's being let go.
He let the Chiefs come back from down 24 to win by 20.

He failed to put to together anything that resembled a professional offense for most of the year.

He continues to run up the middle on 1st and 2nd downs.

He continues to show problems with game and clock management.

Oh wait. Wrong thread.

Olson’s just a scapegoat for the real problem of the team.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I see no way that this benefits the Houston Texans. Olsen has been one of the bright spots of the entire organization in my opinion getting the Texans out of cap hell. I see no reason how he could threaten the authority of Bill O'Brien. I knew I should have stayed off the MB today. If Bill is the control freak that most think he is why would he bring into Caserio? I think it is a Watson thing. If O'Brien wanted number 4 here there is no reason for Olsen to disagree. On the flip side if coach wants him gone Olsen may have said something to Cal in disagreement. That's the only thing that makes sense to me. I see no other way for Olsen to be any kind of an obstacle For O'Brien.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Yet, the one that should have been beaten to a pulp and thrown out the backdoor, and left for dead still remains in power. What the hell, Cal? Where are your balls?
Word going around is that Romeo Crennel is next...
RC was never OB's choice so you never know how this could play out now that OB's the big cheese. I stand corrected, OB did pursue RC. Old age is playing tricks b/c I went back and read the very story that I remembered reading in 2014. RC may be entertaining retirement which could open his spot for replacement. Any chance the Texans could get their OC to do the same thing?

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
This could be a heralding of Caserio coming.
......or the heralding that OB's "Team Yes" has finally received his new special order team color cap that has 3 embroidered stars across the front; GM, HC, OC. The back of the cap has the slogan, "My Way or The Highway".

Reactions: ROO

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Pellisario from NFL network reporting Crennel is out as DC. Could be retained as senior assistant

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
This is starting to look like Lenin and Stalin seizing power. I mostly trusted Mr. McNair to make rational decisions as he was a self-made billionaire. I don't trust Cal zip up his zipper or get his shoes on the correct feet. I have zero doubt in his ability to get the silver spoon he was born to his mouth.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
I dont care that RAC is out .. Buddy Ryan risen from the grave couldnt have done anything more with the scraps on the defensive side last year .. what bothers me is that Anthony Weaver is just going to get 'promoted from within' - what exactly has he done? If Pagano can get axed because supposedly the "edge defense dropped off (how funny is this sht?? you trade away your best run defender who just so happens to be an edge guy, and then you notice you give up the highest YPC on edge runs in football and its the coaches fault?? LMAOOOOO) and the defense couldnt produce any pass rush from the DL apart from Watt and Weaver is the guy to call the plays on defense? SMH. Just installing more YES men.

Getting rid of Olsen is just more fluffing for Caserio.

Cal McNair is a simp.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Pellisario from NFL network reporting Crennel is out as DC. Could be retained as senior assistant
To quote 1 of my favorite lines from 1 of my favorite movies:

"So mortgage bonds are dog **** and CDO's are dog **** wrapped in cat ****?"...

That's what retaining Crennel as a senior assistant would be for me at this point. Dude is 72 years old & The Chiefs reeled off 49 straight pts against his defense in route to 51-7 & it has been highlighted how we kept running the same **** out there...If that said anything, it said that the game has passed my guy by. Keeping him on as an "senior assistant" He'd just be that old legend in the room that everyone respects...... but cringes every time he speaks up in meetings b/c he'd more often than not sidetracking the meeting with stories about how they did things "in the old days". That or his advice would just be so outdated it wouldn't even be anything anyone would want to use.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Jerkinrry Jones is smart enough to know when something is not wog. The Texans are always going to be an expansion team. Just go find the dumbest coach out there and let him call all the shots.
Last time I checked Jones failed to make the P/Os with his .500 team in the weakest division in the NFL ? You call that smart, maybe you need to find a new team to admire like the 49ers ? That Lynch guy is smart.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
someone (not just you, Dr.) help me understand why this is good news
If you are just talking about why hiring Caserio might be good news he has been a sought after candidate for GM for a number of years by a number of teams. He is also pretty much the only person that BB and the Pats have ever fought to keep, their stance has always been if someone wants to leave let them leave and he is the ONLY person, other than the Krafts, listed on the Pats website as being part of the F/O. None of this of course means that he would be a good GM but then there really are no guarantees and if you are going to hire a first time GM then he's got about as good a pedigree as you can ask for.

If you mean why was firing Olsen good news I can't say it was but then no one else has said its good news just at most that it might be a sign of things to come. What I don't get is this believe that OB fired him to "get rid of the competition" when their jobs are completely separate and had little to do with each other. Also not sure where people keep getting this idea that OB wants all these jobs other than their own dislike of him and letting that color everything he says or does. Really I've never seen or heard him say anything to indicate he does want all these roles. That being said I haven't seen him give any of them up yet either but the off season is just starting.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
If you are just talking about why hiring Caserio might be good news he has been a sought after candidate for GM for a number of years by a number of teams. He is also pretty much the only person that BB and the Pats have ever fought to keep, their stance has always been if someone wants to leave let them leave and he is the ONLY person, other than the Krafts, listed on the Pats website as being part of the F/O. None of this of course means that he would be a good GM but then there really are no guarantees and if you are going to hire a first time GM then he's got about as good a pedigree as you can ask for.

If you mean why was firing Olsen good news I can't say it was but then no one else has said its good news just at most that it might be a sign of things to come. What I don't get is this believe that OB fired him to "get rid of the competition" when their jobs are completely separate and had little to do with each other. Also not sure where people keep getting this idea that OB wants all these jobs other than their own dislike of him and letting that color everything he says or does. Really I've never seen or heard him say anything to indicate he does want all these roles. That being said I haven't seen him give any of them up yet either but the off season is just starting.
The theory is that BOB is consolidating power by removing voices that are not in lock-step agreement with his... and also voices that have respect/carry weight with CAL and others that matter within and around the organization... Hopefully, that isn't what is happening, but the evidence is mounting.

Romeo Crennel's contract expired so I can understand how they handled not firing him. But just giving the job to Anthony Weaver makes no sense. When did he show he was ready for that big jump? I've heard that he was good with the DL but never were there any hints that he was ready for a bigger role. Sounds like another none challenging member to OB's staff. On the Chris Olsen firing, I wonder if it had anything to do with Whitney Mercilus's absurd contract that almost guarantees Mercilus will be with the Texans for the next 2 years since he is guaranteed $28.5M no matter what unless the Texans want to take a huge cap hit.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The theory is that BOB is consolidating power by removing voices that are not in lock-step agreement with his... and also voices that have respect/carry weight with CAL and others that matter within and around the organization... Hopefully, that isn't what is happening, but the evidence is mounting.
No it isn't, nobody here has any idea why these people were fired. There has never been an official, or really even unofficial, reason Gaine was fired and there has been no reason that Olsen was fired. OB has just been the last one standing and has been put in those positions so people are letting their personal bias decide the reasons. Let me ask you has there been anything about OB getting a raise or any extra compensation? If not why would he want the extra work? Everyone was saying that Gaine was just a yes man, until he was fired then the narrative changed, so if was a yes man why bother to have him fired? OB doesn't need someone to blame because if he got EXTENDTED after going 4-12 then he sure wasn't getting fired after last season's record and damn sure not after this season.

Everyone looks at single games and says ok that will get X fired because that's how some owners do it. The McNairs have shown time and again they don't look at single games or even single seasons. Not saying that's the right or wrong way to do it but its how they do it. Its why people can hold onto their jobs with the Texans longer than most other teams.

Also what makes you think Olsen wasn't in lock step? He signed off on paying Martin and Mercilous, I don't know maybe he didn't agree with it but at the end of the day he signed the check. If he really had Cal's ear like some say then how did OB get him fired like those same people say? Its a contradiction colored by blind hate of all things Bill O'Brien that seems to be the popular thing on this board.

Blame OB for a weak system not suited to Watson, blame OB for not giving up the playing calling, blame OB for bad clock and flag management and damn sure blame him for Devlin still being here. All of these things are legitimate complaints and perhaps should be enough to justify firing him, but to blame him for the Texans being dysfunctional is asinine. It was that way long before OB ever arrived and its just been par for the course since.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
So Granato is reporting a source saying that Olsen was against getting Tunsil without getting a deal done first, OB said no. Olsen gone.
So apparently obrien is not only stupid, he is also actively getting rid of having multiple viewpoints.

At least easterby will still be there to send him memes

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Lol..you guys...So Granato didn't have a shred of anything from his "sources" about Olsen or the Crennel/Weaver thing coming down the pipe before they actually happened.....But now you guys just blindly believe anything he or any Houston sports media personality speculates about why these things happened after they're announced?

So question, when have any of these dudes EVER gotten it right when it comes to things that go on inside the Texans FO? Doesn't matter who it is... McClain, Granato, Zeirlein..Lopez. These guys are constantly firing off things in the dark from thier "sources" only to be proven wrong and/or they're late as hell. The whole Crennel thing today, I saw that on NFL.com damn near an hour before Pendergast & Payne "broke" it on the radio...& they're supposed to be the official radio station of the houston texans. I mean they are literally worthless as far as beat guys for things going on inside the FO.