Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Rise of Hannah

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
There were several calling for a quarterback in 2022 draft. I am not sure Hannah had taken much of a role until this past offseason. I do think she had much to do or at least say about Easterby.
I doubt she said anything about Culley and probably thought Lovie was ok hire due to team experience and knowledge as well as view of Smith among NFL, players and fans. It's possible if not probable that 2022 record plus Lovie's arguable attitude/comments changed her opinion.
When it became known that Demeco Ryans was interested, I think she saw him as the real deal among the same three that Lovie appealed to.
I think fans do give a rip about team culture as it is now called and that is one of the reasons Hannah has become more involved as more in tune with the fans.
Winning of course is number one priority, however I do think there are thousands of fans who are also interested in more than just W's. You can be both and still be a fan.

Please provide links to any evidence of Bob McNair cursing fans. The only incident I remember that caused wide spread condemnation was his comments supposedly directed at the players running the prison.
lol ok. Fans embraced Belichick & “The Patriot way” team culture as long as they were in the SB every other year for 20 years…Not so much after 3 losing seasons to the point fans are calling for the dude to be fired after 6 SBs.

Likewise here. Any mention of the word “culture” was met with down right anger by most fans. Why? B/c it was associated with a guy no one really cared for who also happened to espouse it above all…..& b/c we were getting curb stomped every week.

Interesting how that phrase takes on a different meaning depending on what the team is doing. No one was touting her great strides with “team culture” when happy go lucky David Culley was leading us to slaughter every week. No one was raving about her influence with the FO team culture when Lovie’s defense was getting boat-raced off the field every week. So I don’t wanna hear about her “influence” now that the team seems to be trending in the right direction.

& Whether u understand it or not, you only care about it this team culture and her influence on it b/c the team is doing well & trending up. If we weren’t now and CJ was looking like a bust, I doubt this thread is even made…if it is, it sure as hell ain’t trying to paint her in a pretty light.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Yep, she's going hard after soccer fan in her marketing plan. It's great for business, but she lost fans like me. I'm not gung ho on going and hanging out 10 times a yr in the parking lot with soccer fan playing soccer in the parking lot at a football game. I probably can stand to do this once a yr. 1 at home and traveling to 1 game a yr. I try to pick a spot on the road where soccer fan isn't prevalent.
You think people are going to show up to a football game playing soccer?

Lol.

Dude - no one is advertising to show up to a football game to play soccer in the parking lot.

What probably happened is there was this soccer marketing company that was able to grow attendance at a professional soccer team in the US. They were smart and knew the big money was in football. They cross marketed and said “hey - if we can grow attendance and merchandise sales for soccer in the US guess what we can do for you!” And anyone with a brain can realize if you can grow soccer attendance and merchandise sales in the US using the innovative marketing strategies than you can grow attendance and merchandise sales for a expansion football team.

And then the nfl marketing company came in with the same old ideas.

Who are you going to hire?

Now I took a lot of liberties explaining my position but it is more than believable.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Hannah was never Queen of the Texans.

They didn't change their basic operational corporate structure that Bob McNair instilled into the foundations of the organization.

She's another seat at the boardroom. And in that environment, influence is a matter of what proves to be successful or not.

NC is a huge part of the current success, but you cannot underestimate the front office culture that attracts coaches and scouts.

For instance, Easterby was a cancer that repelled people. Hannah is the exact opposite, especially when a guy like DeMeco joins as HC.

It's all symbiotic. To what degree she has power is purely speculation, but there is no doubt that she was part of the solutions to the problems.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Hannah was never Queen of the Texans.

They didn't change their basic operational corporate structure that Bob McNair instilled into the foundations of the organization.

She's another seat at the boardroom. And in that environment, influence is a matter of what proves to be successful or not.

NC is a huge part of the current success, but you cannot underestimate the front office culture that attracts coaches and scouts.

For instance, Easterby was a cancer that repelled people. Hannah is the exact opposite, especially when a guy like DeMeco joins as HC.

It's all symbiotic. To what degree she has power is purely speculation, but there is no doubt that she was part of the solutions to the problems.
eh, I guess. Having a better & more welcoming FO culture certainly doesn’t hurt, all I’m saying…all I’ve really been saying this whole time is the other stuff NC has been doing matters waaaay more.

IOW’s, As tasty as Hannah’s team culture Hors d'oeuvres may have been to prospective HC candidates invited to dinner, them shits wasn’t going to matter much if upon entry to the house, those same prospective HC candidates smell something burning horribly & see chef NC in the kitchen trying to put out a 5 alarm fire on the stove. Would you stay for dinner in that scenario lol? Probably not.
Chef NC had to get that house smelling really good for Hannah’s Hors d'oeuvres to really placate those candidates.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You think people are going to show up to a football game playing soccer?

Lol.

Dude - no one is advertising to show up to a football game to play soccer in the parking lot.

What probably happened is there was this soccer marketing company that was able to grow attendance at a professional soccer team in the US. They were smart and knew the big money was in football. They cross marketed and said “hey - if we can grow attendance and merchandise sales for soccer in the US guess what we can do for you!” And anyone with a brain can realize if you can grow soccer attendance and merchandise sales in the US using the innovative marketing strategies than you can grow attendance and merchandise sales for a expansion football team.

And then the nfl marketing company came in with the same old ideas.

Who are you going to hire?

Now I took a lot of liberties explaining my position but it is more than believable.
I agree with this.

I was talking about the game day experience and what the kids are doing in the parking lot before the games. These kids are kicking the ball around instead of throwing a football around and this totally relates to who the Texans are marketing these days. It doesn't surprise me at all that people who market for soccer are now marketing for the Texans. It's actually smart marketing but something I want nothing to do with. I haven't missed going to the games at all.

This doesn't even take into account all of the fights and other crap that goes on at the games. This directly related to how the McNair's and who/how they've chosen to market their team.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
eh, I guess. Having a better & more welcoming FO culture certainly doesn’t hurt, all I’m saying…all I’ve really been saying this whole time is the other stuff NC has been doing matters waaaay more.

IOW’s, As tasty as Hannah’s team culture Hors d'oeuvres may have been to prospective HC candidates invited to dinner, them shits wasn’t going to matter much if upon entry to the house, those same prospective HC candidates smell something burning horribly & see chef NC in the kitchen trying to put out a 5 alarm fire on the stove. Would you stay for dinner in that scenario lol? Probably not.
Chef NC had to get that house smelling really good for Hannah’s Hors d'oeuvres to really placate those candidates.
To me we are talking about different kinds of culture. Easterby sold the McNairs on a top-down approach to culture where he was running around putting placards with quotes around the halls of NRG and even in the players' lockers. He tried to enforce his vision of culture on the FO, coaching staff and players. The mistake was believing culture starts with the VP of Football operations or some FO executive.

IMHO. Whatever Hannah and/or Cal are doing with culture is simply setting fan expectation that the McNairs are truly dedicated to bringing a winning team to Houston and providing the GM and HC with the resources to build a successful team. Don't get me wrong. All owners love to win, however, not all owners are committed to winning.

Culture begins with the HC and players and permeates the organization. It starts with stable owners hiring the right GM and HC then allowing them to do their jobs. It continues with the GM and HC not backstabbing each other, putting their egos aside and having mutual respect for each other and collaborating to produce a winning product. It continues with the GM and HC acquiring players who can police the locker room and echo the vision and culture that is being preached by the HC. That is the recipe for a winning culture.

Over the last 5-7 years, the Texans have had too many selfish, manipulative, backstabbing, power grabbing, self-promoting, media leaking idiots running the organization. Hopefully, this version of the Texans has gotten it right.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
To me we are talking about different kinds of culture. Easterby sold the McNairs on a top-down approach to culture where he was running around putting placards with quotes around the halls of NRG and even in the players' lockers. He tried to enforce his vision of culture on the FO, coaching staff and players. The mistake was believing culture starts with the VP of Football operations or some FO executive.

IMHO. Whatever Hannah and/or Cal are doing with culture is simply setting fan expectation that the McNairs are truly dedicated to bringing a winning team to Houston and providing the GM and HC with the resources to build a successful team. Don't get me wrong. All owners love to win, however, not all owners are committed to winning.

Culture begins with the HC and players and permeates the organization. It starts with stable owners hiring the right GM and HC then allowing them to do their jobs. It continues with the GM and HC not backstabbing each other, putting their egos aside and having mutual respect for each other and collaborating to produce a winning product. It continues with the GM and HC acquiring players who can police the locker room and echo the vision and culture that is being preached by the HC. That is the recipe for a winning culture.

Over the last 5-7 years, the Texans have had too many selfish, manipulative, backstabbing, power grabbing, self-promoting, media leaking idiots running the organization. Hopefully, this version of the Texans has gotten it right.
Fan expectations should already be that they’re committed to bringing a winning team here. What else would it be? The question is why do you as a fan feel you need that show of affirmation from them and/or why does that coming from them make you feel any better about what they’re doing. I don’t watch & cheer for them b/c I like the FO culture & how I see that everyone gets along. We had that Kumbaya **** for nearly 20 years and we were always sitting at home come December. I watch the Texans b/c I want to see them win. Watching for any other reason is moot.

so in my mind, whatever we want to call it, however we want to define it, whomever presides over it, it does not take if the team is ****…. Especially coming off the drama we had over the last couple of years. And that was never more apparent than the previous 2 years before Demeco & CJ. The “who does what in the FO” and how these guys get along has never been a concern of mine & quite frankly is nothing new for the Texans. THAT was more of the problem for Easterby. But would anyone have been concerned with what his title was or what he was or wasn’t doing culture wise if the team had been winning the entire time? Probably not. Pats fans sure as hell weren’t. It only became an issue here b/c we weren’t.

More often than not, Good team culture comes after good things start happening on the field. And in reading a lot of the responses here, folks seem to be trying to say all that happened in reverse due to her “rise” in influence…No. If NC was doing all the work he was behind the scenes to get this franchise on the right track, Hannah’s feel good about the Texans media campaign is falling on deaf ears and her influence is worth about as much as Larry in Stafford’s is.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Fan expectations should already be that they’re committed to bringing a winning team here. What else would it be? The question is why do you as a fan feel you need that show of affirmation from them and/or why does that coming from them make you feel any better about what they’re doing. I don’t watch & cheer for them b/c I like the FO culture & how I see that everyone gets along. We had that Kumbaya **** for nearly 20 years and we were always sitting at home come December. I watch the Texans b/c I want to see them win. Watching for any other reason is moot.

so in my mind, whatever we want to call it, however we want to define it, whomever presides over it, it does not take if the team is ****…. Especially coming off the drama we had over the last couple of years. And that was never more apparent than the previous 2 years before Demeco & CJ. The “who does what in the FO” and how these guys get along has never been a concern of mine & quite frankly is nothing new for the Texans. THAT was more of the problem for Easterby. But would anyone have been concerned with what his title was or what he was or wasn’t doing culture wise if the team had been winning the entire time? Probably not. Pats fans sure as hell weren’t. It only became an issue here b/c we weren’t.

More often than not, Good team culture comes after good things start happening on the field. And in reading a lot of the responses here, folks seem to be trying to say all that happened in reverse due to her “rise” in influence…No. If NC was doing all the work he was behind the scenes to get this franchise on the right track, Hannah’s feel good about the Texans media campaign is falling on deaf ears and her influence is worth about as much as Larry in Stafford’s is.
Edit: I was going to respond asking who the "You" you are referring to and some other comments. In the middle of a sentence, I realized. I..Don't..Care.

Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

badboy

Hall of Fame
What superstar does she pick this year?
Dallas Turner in another massive trade up to 1.8 with ATL selecting starters at CB, EDGE and WR round 2, in a 3 players rather than two plus other picks.
Turner comparison... Will Anderson!
Ryans gets not only his 4th rusher but keeping line fresh and second DROY in a row.
This also allows more 5 man dlines.

Rounds 3 and 4 Nick takes DT Brandon Dorlus, CB Khyrie Jackson and CB Cam Hart.
6th round surprisingly Nick doesn't trade and takes best running back available.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I think Cary’s legal battle had something to do with this.

Personally - I would rather inherit the team because if Hannah ever left Cal she may be more entitled to it than if he acquired the ownership this way.

But I am no legal expert but am an avid watcher of Judge Judy.

Now - I am sure there is a way they set it up to protect the McNairs and there is probably a prenup Cal got before he got married.

Then on the other hand Cary seems more like the type to go after the money when it isn’t his. Dilemmas.

It must suck to be that rich and have that many problems. Being poor with nothing to worry about over here.