Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The last three division games

76Texan

Hall of Fame
It's not harder though.. Football is so much softer.
All that said, I still have reservation about Young.

Even though I don't see many batted balls.

He seems to be able to either find a throwing lane somehow; that's a good sign.
I still need to find more game tapes to back that up fully.

Or maneuver himself to find a throwing lane.
But that doesn't satisfy me fully either.

I need to find all the bad times before I can make a decision on him.

Number19

Hall of Fame
We're probably going to take him..
This is the only "splash" which makes sense at this time. But who will be our HC and our OC? This could impact which QB might be picked.

My early inclination/post was to take Young at 1.1. But is this the best for the rebuild? I can see the value in trading down for additional picks. But we can't say if a trade will be there.

Perhaps the best scenario is to trade down a few spots and take Levis.

But Young, or Levis, our second pick needs to be a speedy WR who can get downfield.

Reactions: JB

vtech9

All Pro
Like Texansballer74 said.

How many QB over 6' had been in contending teams?
How many have played in the SB and winning it?

Vs. guys 6' and under?

Theisman, Tarkenton, Jergunsen.

They were all successful.

Not to mention that the rules now favor the QB and the offense.
You can hardly touched the QB.

Who's going to say Doug Flutie wouldn't have better success nowadays?
Theisman, Tarkenton, and Drew Brees for that matter were all at least 6' tall. Sonny Jurgensen was 5'11", but everyone was smaller back then.

vtech9

All Pro
Bryce Young plays in the SEC, for a team that generally has better talent than everyone else they play. That means his OLine is probably better than all of the Dlines they play against. In the NFL, when have you ever known the Houston Texans to have a better Oline than the Dlines of the teams they play against? Young won't have the time to run around that he's had at Alabama.

How many of you are confident that Bryce Young can handle all of the hits Davis Mills took this season? I'm not. I think he is too small, and won't last.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Bryce Young plays in the SEC, for a team that generally has better talent than everyone else they play. That means his OLine is probably better than all of the Dlines they play against. In the NFL, when have you ever known the Houston Texans to have a better Oline than the Dlines of the teams they play against? Young won't have the time to run around that he's had at Alabama.

How many of you are confident that Bryce Young can handle all of the hits Davis Mills took this season? I'm not. I think he is too small, and won't last.
2 picks I've mentioned Skoronski to LG moving Green to RG then drafting Torrence for OC as beerlover suggested gives Houston a very good oline. Other positions also would benefit. Things do not have to remain the same whomever QB turns out to be.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

You haven't watched Alabama this year?

Texansballer74

The Marine
People tend to worry too much in Houston sports arena. I understand past transgressions have hurt some of y’all too deeply. But you have to get over the past. If not you’re going to continue to act like a woman scorned. Nick has done pretty darn good with the draft. We are not the 02 Texans who drafted Carr and started him right away. So get over that trash already. If they draft Young or Stroud, you have to trust that he needs a center and another guard. You have to trust he knows we need another receiver and back. You gents do know he has money now to work free agency pool.
Man some of you guys needs to stop dooming things a failure way before it even gets started.

Number19

Hall of Fame

The Texans overall OL ranking is near the bottom, but I found one site which breaks out just the Pass Protection Rankings. One caveat, it's not through week 14; it's only a 6 week sample.

But in Pass Protection, the Texans were not that bad - a bit below middle of the pack.

The rankings are broken down in 4 categories:

Pressure Percentage Allowed - Texans rank 22
Rate Which Pressure Turns Into Sacks - Texans rank 19
Total Pressures Allowed - Texans rank 6
Total Sacks Allowed - Texans rank 17

If the Texans can add an OG and a Center in the draft, and perhaps a blocking TE, our QB should be fine in 2023.

True, on a couple of occasions I blinked and Mills was sacked so yeah any QB better be ready. And other times Mills flat out missed recognizing the pressure. Experience and/or smarts will help offset some of those hits. If you feel or see pressure immediately, throw that ball to the back of an eligible receiver if you can't get away. QBs will have to stand in there and take a hard hit on occasion to make the pass, but no QB is typically built to take punishing hits unless you're a Roethlisberger type. Regardless of size, QBs taking hits is not a good thing.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Yeah, I have. He doesn't have the time he had last season, but still more than Mills has had. So again, I am against taking Tiny Tim.
I would prefer not taking a QB at 1.1 either, but if NC is determined to take a QB there, Young is the best option.

badboy

Hall of Fame
People tend to worry too much in Houston sports arena. I understand past transgressions have hurt some of y’all too deeply. But you have to get over the past. If not you’re going to continue to act like a woman scorned. Nick has done pretty darn good with the draft. We are not the 02 Texans who drafted Carr and started him right away. So get over that trash already. If they draft Young or Stroud, you have to trust that he needs a center and another guard. You have to trust he knows we need another receiver and back. You gents do know he has money now to work free agency pool.
Man some of you guys needs to stop dooming things a failure way before it even gets started.
Hello my name is bad boy and I am a Texans aholic. I am scorned. When a new GM or head coach says something I do flash back to prior comments by others. I have been led on, manipulated and lied to.

Rumors that Texans are going to make a splash remind me of other vague hopes over the years.

Stop acting as if 2022 off-season is the 1st hint of failure. I do not want to live in the past but it's frustrating when the past keeps walking up and slapping me upside the head.

Can I get my 1st day chip
Now?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Under Lovie Smith our offense will be going nowhere unless they get a real 2nd back to help Pierce AND fix the o-line. A new QB won't help.

Now, if it isn't going to be Lovie next season, who the hell knows what will happen.
Yup and all that can Be done in the 2023 draft.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
You talk about living in the past and a woman scorned, but I guess it's OK to spew BS about Caserio doing "pretty darn good" with the draft? Hilarious.

Davis Mills - bad pick, bust
Nico Collins - gave up 3 picks to move up, still waiting on that "potential"
Brevin Jordan - replaced by a guy they cut then brought back and now appears to be 3rd on the depth chart
Garrett Wallow - moved up 2 times to get, can't get on the field as bad as the LB play has been
Roy Lopez - JAG

Next draft way too early to judge, but so far:
Derek Stingley - medical red flags from the beginning, will miss 8 games of rookie season
Kenyon Green - has not been good regardless of excuses
Jalen Pitre - big hitter, lots of missed tackles (should get better though)
John Metchie - blaming no one for this, but I should point out that 3 picks were given up to move up to get him. He'll need to perform when he gets back.
Christian Harris - potential is there, gave up a pick to move up 5 spots
Dameon Pierce - could be a HR
Thomas Booker - gave up 2 picks to move up to draft, sees about a third of the snaps
Teagan Quitoriano - jury still out, probably be replaced by next years drafted TE
Austin Deculus - probably should have been a UDFA.

That doesn't look pretty darn good to me.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Theisman, Tarkenton, and Drew Brees for that matter were all at least 6' tall. Sonny Jurgensen was 5'11", but everyone was smaller back then.
Add Manziel, Eddie LeBaron , Flutie to the list. There's more.

Bottom line is short QBs winning championships are outliers and many on here want Caserio to pick an outlier.

If Young stayed in college in the 2024 draft Young would be at best the 3rd QB on the draft board. But he let's pick a QB because we need one. This is how franchise altering mistakes are made.

Last edited:

edo783

Hall of Fame
If we draft Young, we had better change coaching staff. At least an OC that has experience using a mobile QB. If we think he is going to just drop back and throw, that isn't going to work very well. By taking advantage of his mobility and accuracy, he can very likely be an effective QB. If not, it will probably be a short career and we will be looking for a new QB in a couple of years.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
yes, Matt Schaub and Arian Foster played behind some very good Alex Gibbs built OLs.
One year they were also the only unit in the NFL to start all 16 games. One of my favorite players on that line was Mike Brisiel.. Guy was self made and a scrapper/overachiever. He was damn good for a few seasons.

Also it wasn't just Arian Foster.. Ron Dayne had his best two seasons here, Steve Slaton's rookie season, and Ben Tate (Houston almost had two 1,000 yard rushers one season and Tate missed a game). I have to throw Jon Benton into that success.. When Gibbs left we didn't skip a beat, he was a good disciple.

It's when (())'Brien came in and wanted to run strictly power blocking schemes is where everything went to crap. At this point I don't even blame the lineman we draft, we just don't develop them anymore.. Then they go on to have success somewhere else.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
...or break him
I don't know.
Like I said; it's never easy.

But no , his offense line is not as good.

Alabama only have Young and Anderson in the top 150 in this site.

An Olineman might be taken in the third round, but there's no sure thing.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
If we draft Young, we had better change coaching staff. At least an OC that has experience using a mobile QB. If we think he is going to just drop back and throw, that isn't going to work very well. By taking advantage of his mobility and accuracy, he can very likely be an effective QB. If not, it will probably be a short career and we will be looking for a new QB in a couple of years.
At least they've been trying to use Driskel.

But Young is not a dual-threat QB.
He takes off no more than one more time per game than Mahomes in college, and it's often not on a design run either.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
One year they were also the only unit in the NFL to start all 16 games. One of my favorite players on that line was Mike Brisiel.. Guy was self made and a scrapper/overachiever. He was damn good for a few seasons.

Also it wasn't just Arian Foster.. Ron Dayne had his best two seasons here, Steve Slaton's rookie season, and Ben Tate (Houston almost had two 1,000 yard rushers one season and Tate missed a game). I have to throw Jon Benton into that success.. When Gibbs left we didn't skip a beat, he was a good disciple.

It's when (())'Brien came in and wanted to run strictly power blocking schemes is where everything went to crap. At this point I don't even blame the lineman we draft, we just don't develop them anymore.. Then they go on to have success somewhere else.
Brisiel was a warrior when he was in there, even when he was hurt.

Not to mention old guys like Wade Smith who needed a shot for his knee before the games.

Or Salaam who eventually helped Duane Brown becoming a pro.
Salaam was a pro's pro.

I used to love to rewatch the games and study the offensive line and loving it.

No, they were far from the best, but for such low investment in both draft capital and salary (including Myers at C), Gibbs' teaching and Kubiak's scheme made it work.
If Wilson was here instead of Schaub, the sky is the limit.

The Seahawks run the WCO, too.
But their line was never as efficient.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
Brisiel was a warrior when he was in there, even when he was hurt.

Not to mention old guys like Wade Smith who needed a shot for his knee before the games.

Or Salaam who eventually helped Duane Brown becoming a pro.
Salaam was a pro's pro.

I used to love to rewatch the games and study the offensive line and loving it.

No, they were far from the best, but for such low investment in both draft capital and salary (including Myers at C), Gibbs' teaching and Kubiak's scheme made it work.
If Wilson was here instead of Schaub, the sky is the limit.

The Seahawks run the WCO, too.
But their line was never as efficient.
Agree with everything except I would say they were one of the best and led to the rule changes we see today.

I did forget to mention this guy when I was talking about the offensive line.

I think the Texans got another good one in Troy Hairston.

Texian

Hall of Fame

Classic example of ownership STUPIDITY. You have a 12 - 4 team full of WCO/ZBS players and you hire a new HC with a pocket passing, power run game system.

vtech9

All Pro
yes, Matt Schaub and Arian Foster played behind some very good Alex Gibbs built OLs.
I wouldn't say they were better. I would say they were better coached, and the scheme fit the players we had. Better? No. Just better used.

vtech9

All Pro
How do you define better?
Bigger? Faster? Stronger? More talented? The OLine Texian was referring to were composed of smaller guys that weren't considered top starters anywhere else. The zone blocking scheme we used fit the players we had. We also had the best Oline coach to implement it.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Bigger? Faster? Stronger? More talented? The OLine Texian was referring to were composed of smaller guys that weren't considered top starters anywhere else. The zone blocking scheme we used fit the players we had. We also had the best Oline coach to implement it.
So it was a better unit not necessarily better players
Better players for that scheme though