Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The last three division games

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
So we have Tits on the road, Jaggies at home, then finish the season at the Donkey's stadium. What say you, how many do we win? We could scare everyone and win two of these, but we won't win all three. That just isn't possible in this universe. And I think the Jaggies finally catch up to us and beat us.

My prediction is we end up with two wins this season. And that next one will be either the Tits or the Dolts.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Yea we could win two of our remaining games but like you say Thorn winning three is pretty unlikely.
What about the last two games against Dallas and KC where each of those teams seemed to try to give us our second win of the season ?
Lovie's guys played hard and Lovie got them up for the games. Does Lovie deserve any credit for that and/or does our team deserve an attaboy for playing hard against some superior talent ? In the end we just couldn't make a play to win one or both of those games.
And what about young Mr. Davis Mills, the ATL native with the Confederate sounding name ? Are we done with him and on to whoever we might draft in KC in April, or is there still some hope for him ?l

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I think Lovie has done a decent enough job with what he has to work with, which isn't much. I think Lovie will be back next year, I just don't think the Texans are up for another HC change and the inevitable "new" rebuild that will start with a new HC.

As to Mills, he'll be around for a few more years, and probably starting. If we do take a QB in the draft, just look for the highest rated QB with an injury history and he'll be ours. Our newly drafted and already injured QB might be designated numero uno, but Mills will still be starting.

I'm starting to sour on the Caserio The Savior but he could still win me back over with a good draft next year.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
These are the dangerous games. In the past 3 seasons, the Texans have won 9 games. 6 have been against AFC South opponents (5 against the Jags, alone).

Week 16 @ Titans - Texans won in Nashville last year despite being out gained by 130 yards. The Titans are horrible, 29th on offense and 25th on defense. They've lost 4 straight and are 7-7 only because of a weak schedule.

Week 17 vs. Jags - No matter how bad the Texans have been, they've had the Jaguars number. Sure, you can tell me the Jags are 4-2 over their last 6, and in the division race. They'll be playing the Texans where they find ways to lose.

Week 18 @ Colts - Indy usually takes care of business vs, the Texans. But they got lucky to get a tie at NRG on opening day, and have played like crap ever since. They've already gotten one coach fired and the high school coach that replaced him has been worse (shocker). The Colts are riding a 4 game losing streak that will likely be 6 games before the Texans come to town. Both teams should be in vacation planning mode, but someone has to win this game. Unless we can be blessed with another tie!

So all of the Texans hard work at securing the 1st pick could be for naught with 2 wins the rest of the way. We need help. Even crappier game plans by the coaches. A few bad calls from the refs would be nice. More Jeff Driskel, please. We live in dangerous times.

Last edited:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Division games are always hard to call unless you've got Peyton Manning blowing you away 2 times a year.

The Titans and Jags both have their playoff lives on the line. Doesn't make them more likely to win, but I think they'll be more focused than a team like the Chiefs, Cowboys or Eagles coming in and not giving the Texans much thought, then finding out that they maybe ought to start playing before they mess around and get beat by the Texans.

I don't think the Texans have a chance against the Titans if Henry goes off for 200+ for a 5th straight game. Tannehill may not be much but the Titans didn't have Tannehill earlier and only threw the ball 10 times with Willis and still beat the Texans in Houston.

Jacksonville is a much better football team, and Lawrence is a much better QB than when the Texans played them earlier. Yes, the Texans have had their number recently, but all streaks come to an end at some point. And of course, at NRG it will likely be a Jags home game with their dozen or so fans packing in and outnumbering the half dozen Texans fans in attendance.

The Colts game is the one I think the Texans have the best shot of winning. BUT, it is in Indy where the Texans don't do a whole lot of winning. They'll likely be without Taylor so that helps. How poetic though would it be to start the season with a tie against the Colts and end it with a tie against the Colts?

Reactions: JB

Texian

Hall of Fame
Division games are always hard to call unless you've got Peyton Manning blowing you away 2 times a year.

The Titans and Jags both have their playoff lives on the line. Doesn't make them more likely to win, but I think they'll be more focused than a team like the Chiefs, Cowboys or Eagles coming in and not giving the Texans much thought, then finding out that they maybe ought to start playing before they mess around and get beat by the Texans.

I don't think the Texans have a chance against the Titans if Henry goes off for 200+ for a 5th straight game. Tannehill may not be much but the Titans didn't have Tannehill earlier and only threw the ball 10 times with Willis and still beat the Texans in Houston.

Jacksonville is a much better football team, and Lawrence is a much better QB than when the Texans played them earlier. Yes, the Texans have had their number recently, but all streaks come to an end at some point. And of course, at NRG it will likely be a Jags home game with their dozen or so fans packing in and outnumbering the half dozen Texans fans in attendance.

The Colts game is the one I think the Texans have the best shot of winning. BUT, it is in Indy where the Texans don't do a whole lot of winning. They'll likely be without Taylor so that helps. How poetic though would it be to start the season with a tie against the Colts and end it with a tie against the Colts?
Tannehill was carted off the field during his first drive. Did not return.

This franchise sucks to absolute high heaven! No direction.......no signs of turning things around. The coaching feels behind the times. The owners got no clue. Collage frat boys owning this team might have more success.

Still go texans. Feels like were busting no matter where we pick.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I still kinda want the win over the Jags more..... its starting to feel like they are the little kid swinging with all they got and the Texans are the older kid holding their head as they swing away hitting nothing but air..... I don't want that to end.

I know they are the better team... but thats why their up til now inability to end the streak is so amuzing.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I still kinda want the win over the Jags more..... its starting to feel like they are the little kid swinging with all they got and the Texans are the older kid holding their head as they swing away hitting nothing but air..... I don't want that to end.

I know they are the better team... but thats why their up til now inability to end the streak is so amuzing.
Love your analogy!

ArmyBengal

Retired Army Medical NCO
The Bengals did that crap to me when I had my sights on Burrow, in that they flirted around with winning.
WHY ?? To gain momentum heading into 2023 ?? Save that nonsense.
Some of the players and coaches you "gain momentum" with won't even be here next year.
It's pointless. Just lose, secure the best possible pick you can, and focus on 2023.

Sure, it would be great to knock the Titans or Jags out of the race for the South, but is it worth whatever player you really want in the draft ??
The answer is NO. No Texans fan is going to look back and say, "Well, we missed out on ______, but at least we beat the Titans in 2022".
Again, save that. Anything more than 1 win is taking chances that ought not be taken.

GO TEXANS !!!
by that I mean lose...

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Texans win them all and end up with top 6 pick. Instead of drafting Bryce Young they will draft Will Levis who will end up doing his very best Davis Mills impression.
lol This is what I expect from these clowns.

At this point, just embrace the suck and secure that 1.1 pick. There is absolutely nothing to gain from winning any of these games. Most fans have already checked out. The rest that actually pay attention should be astute enough to realize the long term agenda is far more important than meaningless wins.

I like your strategy of picking Young, even if they look at another QB in 2024. He'll still have value in 2024, so hedge your bets.

Of course, the concern is the Texans could PTSD him like they did Carr, so it's not a 100% safe strategy considering how terrible this team is (worse than the 2002 team!).

vtech9

All Pro
Win all three. We don't need the #1 pick. There isn't a QB in this draft that I would take in the top 15, so losing the #1 pick wouldn't be a bad thing in my eyes. I'd even love a trade down for more picks. Pick Jalen Carter with our 1st pick, Quentin Johnston with our 2nd, and then the best available edge rusher with our 3rd. After that, we can get our Center, RG, and everything else we need.

TexanBorn51

Veteran
Win or lose the last 3 games but imo the number 1 draft pick or round 1 with 2 picks I wouldn't mind positions other than QB. If so then so be it because that may also be the right QB. I see the next 2 years still rebuilding so surround your QBs with hopefully great talent and team's needs. The next 2 years will not be like the past 2 years in the draft that we are accustomed to because of bad trades and deals. The following 2024-2025 is the reason why. There will be opportunities later to again get the franchise QB but will have a solid team to support him. Drafting number one QB or other position is not guarantee to the keys of football heaven it may also be very risky and not pan out.

Mangler

Toro de España
It sure is funny seeing the run-first QB fans here not have any confidence in Malik Willis. Isn’t he the type of QB y’all are pounding the table for? :lol:

Porky

Hall of Fame
It sure is funny seeing the run-first QB fans here not have any confidence in Malik Willis. Isn’t he the type of QB y’all are pounding the table for? :lol:
Ummm, who is pounding the table for a Malik Willis clone? He is a true runner at QB and has a very long way to go with his arm. That's why he was a 3rd rounder. Name names sir (or ma'am). I don't remember a single person wanting a run-first QB here.

Quite a few of us want a more modern athlete at QB that can use his legs as well as his arm. Not to run-first, but run when necessary or for the occasional QB draw, etc.

And legs...not only to run first, second or otherwise...but to dodge would-be sackers or to move around the pocket and still keep feet in a planted position to throw. That includes hips too BTW - someone with a quick twitch wiggle in his hips. It also involves the brain - being able to process quickly and understand where the rush is coming from...and then in a best case keeping his eyes downfield to deliver on the run. DW4 had these traits.

Getting someone of that ilk is how you win in 2022 and beyond. I don't know what you're making fun of. Malik Willis is an extremely raw athlete and it's 50/50 at best whether he can develop enough skill with his arm to be a complete starter. He looked terrible in limited action earlier in the year...but with time and good coaching perhaps he can do it. I'm rooting for the kid, but I have my doubts.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Texans are facing (probably) Willis in Tennessee, Sunshine in Jacksonville and Foles (probably) in Indy. A crap rookie, a trending upward QB, and a SB champion QB. All the crap rookie has to do is handoff. Henry could win the game alone. The Texans are Sunshines kryptonite. And Foles, well hasn't played all year and the Colts suck.
One win, against which team..... heck, who knows!?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Malik Willis has more of an NFL future than Davis Mills. Yes, he’s super raw. But he has plus talent across the board. Mills doesn’t have a single plus tool. Spending time developing Mills has been a waste.

badboy

Hall of Fame

games against the final teams if played as we did against KC with same results is fine with me.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Win or lose the last 3 games but imo the number 1 draft pick or round 1 with 2 picks I wouldn't mind positions other than QB. If so then so be it because that may also be the right QB. I see the next 2 years still rebuilding so surround your QBs with hopefully great talent and team's needs. The next 2 years will not be like the past 2 years in the draft that we are accustomed to because of bad trades and deals. The following 2024-2025 is the reason why. There will be opportunities later to again get the franchise QB but will have a solid team to support him. Drafting number one QB or other position is not guarantee to the keys of football heaven it may also be very risky and not pan out.
can you provide more info on opportunities for franchise QB later? If we draft as well in 2023 as all hope we probably slide well out of range of one even with 2 picks to trade. The top teams in future drafts can easily say no to trades.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Ummm, who is pounding the table for a Malik Willis clone? He is a true runner at QB and has a very long way to go with his arm. That's why he was a 3rd rounder. Name names sir (or ma'am). I don't remember a single person wanting a run-first QB here.

Quite a few of us want a more modern athlete at QB that can use his legs as well as his arm. Not to run-first, but run when necessary or for the occasional QB draw, etc.

And legs...not only to run first, second or otherwise...but to dodge would-be sackers or to move around the pocket and still keep feet in a planted position to throw. That includes hips too BTW - someone with a quick twitch wiggle in his hips. It also involves the brain - being able to process quickly and understand where the rush is coming from...and then in a best case keeping his eyes downfield to deliver on the run.
DW4 had these traits.

Getting someone of that ilk is how you win in 2022 and beyond. I don't know what you're making fun of. Malik Willis is an extremely raw athlete and it's 50/50 at best whether he can develop enough skill with his arm to be a complete starter. He looked terrible in limited action earlier in the year...but with time and good coaching perhaps he can do it. I'm rooting for the kid, but I have my doubts.
sounds like Bryce Young...

TexanBorn51

Veteran
can you provide more info on opportunities for franchise QB later? If we draft as well in 2023 as all hope we probably slide well out of range of one even with 2 picks to trade. The top teams in future drafts can easily say no to trades.
Honestly I can not predict any future franchise QB. It's crap and shoot at times. Look at Tom Brady draft pick #6 2000.
Then look at some QB draft picks #1 that failed expectations. History dictates it can go both ways. no? I think it's a safer pick Carter or Anderson first pick QB later but hey no expert here I've been wrong. Two years maybe more hopefully not for a successful rebuild including QB.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Malik Willis has more of an NFL future than Davis Mills. Yes, he’s super raw. But he has plus talent across the board. Mills doesn’t have a single plus tool. Spending time developing Mills has been a waste.
Somebody listening to the wrong scouts and coaches? Or coaches failing to develop players?

"Create conflict" for whom?

Lol. You can only create conflict if the 2nd QB in rotation is any good. Total element of surprise helped Driskel in Dallas. But these are declining returns because Driskel isn't any good. If the Texans had someone of the quality of Taysom Hill, it would be a different story. But ya, the 'create conflict' parts hurts the Texans more than the Titans, although 2 close games since the experiment started so why not?

TexanBorn51

Veteran
One QB two QBs three QBs whatever don't matter if the starting 2 WRs are out and TEs are still being watched meanwhile OL can be better but in the end imho it was Pierce who saved them all and now he's out. Ay Vay! If all those players were in consistently the entire season the outcome could have been much better no? But hey we gettin the draft picks next year. Yay!

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
The Texans win them all and end up with top 6 pick. Instead of drafting Bryce Young they will draft Will Levis who will end up doing his very best Davis Mills impression.
Well, that is better than the Texans just picking will Levis at pick one.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

And legs...not only to run first, second or otherwise...but to dodge would-be sackers or to move around the pocket and still keep feet in a planted position to throw. That includes hips too BTW - someone with a quick twitch wiggle in his hips. It also involves the brain - being able to process quickly and understand where the rush is coming from...and then in a best case keeping his eyes downfield to deliver on the run. DW4 had these traits.

Is it?

Look at the QB's in the last 5 SB's.

As much as some want it to be true, QB's play style like Derrick's haven't haven't won crap.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You've got much more faith in Lovie and company than I do.

Playing the what if game? What if they draft Young 1-1 and he ends up like every other midget QB in NFL history? What are the odds of the Texans getting a top 3 pick vs a midget winning a championship. I like the odds of the top 3 pick over the midget championship scenario, particularly with Lovie and company calling the shots down on Kirby.