Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The improbable improvement of Kareem Jackson

somebody needs to start the "improbable improvement of Brice McCain" thread. he's been the guy that's been getting picked on lately.

He'll need to step up big for our toughest stretch of games.

GB...Jennings, Jones and Jordy..tough combo to handle

NE....Lloyd, Welker and Edelman...2 of those guys are younger, quicker versions of the guy who ate him up in denver... Brandon Stokley.

Less worried about baltimore..I feel he can handle Jacoby

This actually happened yesterday. Thought I'd share ....

The wife and I had business to tend to Sunday, so we had to tape the game and watch it later in the afternoon. I had been noticing that KJax was having a good game, and after a play in the 4th, in which he broke up another pass, I commented to my wife, "You know, that guy has taken so much **** since he's been on this team, I think it would so f'king sweet if he picked one off and took it all the way back. That would be so cool!"

THE VERY NEXT PLAY, he picked it off and took it back for 6. Both of us leaped out of chairs, and yelled "Oh my God! Are you kidding me"!

She looks at me with this wary eye, and says, "Did you get that off the Internet or something?" I go, "No hon, I don't like being spoiled any more than you do!" She gets up, and starts looking around for my IPhone, my IPad, my laptop, and anything else that I could have used. Nada, they were all upstairs in the office. She finally sits back down and says, "you're just weird, you do that way, way too often."

:D

I had been noticing that KJax was having a good game, and after a play in the 4th, in which he broke up another pass, I commented to my wife, "You know, that guy has taken so much **** since he's been on this team, I think it would so f'king sweet if he picked one off and took it all the way back. That would be so cool!"

THE VERY NEXT PLAY, he picked it off and took it back for 6. Both of us leaped out of chairs, and yelled "Oh my God! Are you kidding me"!

So why the hell did you wait so long to do that? :D

Another great game by K Jax.

I was especially impressed that he played keep away after that INT before finally giving himself up on the ground.

He ate up valuable clock and did not risk a fumble during the return. Very smart move

Wow, so Kareem Jackson. . . isn't as bad as he was a few years ago.

I like my crow served with zesty garlic parmesean sauce.

Wow, so Kareem Jackson. . . isn't as bad as he was a few years ago.

I like my crow served with zesty garlic parmesean sauce.

What's with all the seasoning. Crow is not meant to be tasty! lol.

And Kareem isn't bad at all. He's actually turned out to be a pretty good corner. Not quite great yet, but he's looked better than J-Jo in a couple games. He's learned a lot from him and Vance obviously.

A big shout out to 76Texan for being right all along on KJ. :clap:

Having said that, remember that KJ will struggle against the top big WRs still. He's not as bad as people were saying he was before -- he's also not as great as his recent "press clippings" pronounce, either.

I think we should serve those at the front of the line some seasoning, just make it a little salty.
icon10.gif
:runaway:

Interception on a tipped pass is nice to see, but really not even something I'd attribute to him. He's had solid coverage, but it still frustrated me that he had his back to the play on that endzone pass (which, in fairness, didn't end up being even catchable by his receiver)

What's with all the seasoning. Crow is not meant to be tasty! lol.

And Kareem isn't bad at all. He's actually turned out to be a pretty good corner. Not quite great yet, but he's looked better than J-Jo in a couple games. He's learned a lot from him and Vance obviously.

I've defended Kj since day one. Not that he didn't "suck" but he played over his head as a rookie.

However, he has looked better than Jjo in the last 2-3 games, because Jjo's level of play has dropped as much as Kj's has improved. I think Jjo is dealing with one of those undocumented injuries & we just need him to get healthy.

I've defended Kj since day one. Not that he didn't "suck" but he played over his head as a rookie.

However, he has looked better than Jjo in the last 2-3 games, because Jjo's level of play has dropped as much as Kj's has improved. I think Jjo is dealing with one of those undocumented injuries & we just need him to get healthy.

It's easy to sit back and say "I've defended him since day one" when you registered for this board only a few months ago.

Interception on a tipped pass is nice to see, but really not even something I'd attribute to him. He's had solid coverage, but it still frustrated me that he had his back to the play on that endzone pass (which, in fairness, didn't end up being even catchable by his receiver)

Get over it, watch other CBs, sometimes you play the QB, sometimes you play the receiver. On that play, he's playing the receiver, he's going to have his back to the QB. That was text-book & Sanchez threw the ball away because he knew he had no shot.

As far as the INT on the tipped ball, I think it shows great, yes great, improvement on the part of Kj because it shows he's expanding his awareness beyond his particular responsibilities. The game is slowing down for him & now he's able to "see" the field. More or less. Just like jumping the pass on his last INT, he's not focusing on "technique" he's playing off instincts & it was his instincts that made the Texans think he was "the most NFL ready" corner available @ 20

Get over it, watch other CBs, sometimes you play the QB, sometimes you play the receiver. On that play, he's playing the receiver, he's going to have his back to the QB. That was text-book & Sanchez threw the ball away because he knew he had no shot.

As far as the INT on the tipped ball, I think it shows great, yes great, improvement on the part of Kj because it shows he's expanding his awareness beyond his particular responsibilities. The game is slowing down for him & now he's able to "see" the field. More or less. Just like jumping the pass on his last INT, he's not focusing on "technique" he's playing off instincts & it was his instincts that made the Texans think he was "the most NFL ready" corner available @ 20

What do you mean "get over it". I've defended KJ over the years constantly, I'm just nitpicking that there is still room for improvement.

A couple games ago when he jumped that pass, now THAT was encouraging.

What do you mean "get over it". I've defended KJ over the years constantly, I'm just nitpicking that there is still room for improvement.

A couple games ago when he jumped that pass, now THAT was encouraging.

Get over it, as in he will not always be facing the QB, sometimes it's better to keep his eyes on the receiver. That receiver never "went" for the ball, Kj had no "tell" to turn around & look for the ball. Sanchez threw it away.

Get over it, as in he will not always be facing the QB, sometimes it's better to keep his eyes on the receiver. That receiver never "went" for the ball, Kj had no "tell" to turn around & look for the ball. Sanchez threw it away.

You're right, the WR never made a movement that he was actually going for the ball. I do think that a good QB and good WR can make that hookup over his head (neither of which existed in last night's game, but like I said, I'm nitpicking to temper my own optimism)

On the INT, the Jets lined up with 2 receivers and the TE on Jackson's side.
The Texans were in 2-deep, man-under.

The Jets ran a double Hi-Lo concept with the #1 receiver - the wide out Schilens #85 (Kareem's man) - and the #2 receiver - the slot receiver #11 Kerley (McCain's man) - running deep routes to clear out the space underneath.
The TE #86 Cumberland ran a 10-yd square out.

This pattern is designed to keep the safety Nolan back deep while forcing the LCB back on his heel as well (as he might not get safety's help).

Jackson recognized the pattern very well and broke off his man to help out Quin.
The flexibility in the hips afforded Kareem the ability to react back and change direction quickly - as well as to stick with the receiver.)
He was ready to put the hit on the TE when he saw the ball being deflected.
Again, that hip flexibility allowed him to change direction yet again to make the INT.

On one of his previous INTs, he also recognized the tip ball quickly and played through the receiver to get to the ball. There's no PI on a batted ball; the CB can even tackle the receiver if he wanted to.
He beat the receiver to the punch.

All 3 of his INTs are quality plays, IMHO.

On the ball that Sanchez had to throw away, the receiver Schillen ran a swirl route.
Jackson was in one-on-one with Schillen, no safety help.

Schillen ran 10 yards and worked to the inside hard before cutting back toward the corner.

Had Jackson turned his head (it would have been to the inside), he would have lost the receiver when he cut back toward the corner.

All Jackson had to do is what he did: To pin the receiver to the end line and push him out of bound when the ball comes (with the change in rule that came out a few years ago, the CB can push the receiver out of bound once the ball is in his hands.) If the receiver doesn't have both feet in bound, it's an incompletion. Simple but efficient strategy by Jackson here.

All Jackson had to do is what he did: To pin the receiver to the end line and push him out of bound when the ball comes (with the change in rule that came out a few years ago, the CB can push the receiver out of bound once the ball is in his hands.) If the receiver doesn't have both feet in bound, it's an incompletion. Simple but efficient strategy by Jackson here.

I can only hope that was Kj's plan. Hope he isn't reading these boards & feeling the pressure to turn his head & play the ball. The simplest thing to do there, like you said, is when the reciever keys in on the ball in the air, before his feet comes down, push him out of bounds.

I don't see many DBs playing it that way. But since the rule change, it's the highest percentage play imo.

I agree, Kj did an excellent job forcing the receiver to the back line & keeping his eyes on him.

I can only hope that was Kj's plan. Hope he isn't reading these boards & feeling the pressure to turn his head & play the ball. The simplest thing to do there, like you said, is when the reciever keys in on the ball in the air, before his feet comes down, push him out of bounds.

I don't see many DBs playing it that way. But since the rule change, it's the highest percentage play imo.

I agree, Kj did an excellent job forcing the receiver to the back line & keeping his eyes on him.

Completely forgot about that rule, ya'll are 100% correct.

It happens from time to time.
Jackson did it against Dez Bryant once in his rookie year on a ball along the sideline. Bryant is big and tall and can jump. It was a good play by Jackson knowing that he can't outjump the receiver.

Also, JJo did it recently against the Denver's receiver, whatshisname (?) in the endzone. He was beat, but recovered enough give the receiver a shove before he can get both feet inbound.

Also, JJo did it recently against the Denver's receiver, whatshisname (?) in the endzone. He was beat, but recovered enough give the receiver a shove before he can get both feet inbound.

Nah, Jjo had nothing to do with that play. He was beat, like a rookie playing on the '10 Texans' defense. D.Thomas just wasn't able to get his toe down.

I didn't see a push that should have prevented Thomas from getting his toe down.

Nah, Jjo had nothing to do with that play. He was beat, like a rookie playing on the '10 Texans' defense. D.Thomas just wasn't able to get his toe down.

I didn't see a push that should have prevented Thomas from getting his toe down.

Watch the replay again Fidd, in slow motion if you will.
J Jo did just enough to push D. Thomas out of bound.
I just rewatched it again (I must have rewatched that play close to twenty times.)

Just caught an interview on 610AM...

KJ is a grown ass man, now. Mature, no bitterness about the past. I was impressed with the fact he doesn't make a point of tooting his own horn to the younger guys about his overcoming adversity. If they ask, he'll share.

PFF has Jackson rated 15th/110 CBs with a +7.0.

Kareem is an UFA and I think we need to re-sign him. His skillset overlays well with RAC's multiple defense. Sign him, OB!

I think this is a no brainer and should be the priority of the off season signings

It'll be Jackson and Bouye at starting corners next year. JJo is gone.

Bouye is already better than Jackson was in Jackson's second year. Bouye is growing up a lot. Sure, there's been some growing pains, but he really handles himself like a pro back there; he has a short memory when he screws up, which really isn't that often if you look at it subjectively.

I feel pretty good about that tandem. It's just that JJo doesn't have "it" anymore.

Or, we might get a FA and leave Jackson in the slot. Whichever way, I think we're close to set for CBs next year.

It'll be Jackson and Bouye at starting corners next year. JJo is gone.

Bouye is already better than Jackson was in Jackson's second year. Bouye is growing up a lot. Sure, there's been some growing pains, but he really handles himself like a pro back there; he has a short memory when he screws up, which really isn't that often if you look at it subjectively.

I feel pretty good about that tandem. It's just that JJo doesn't have "it" anymore.

Or, we might get a FA and leave Jackson in the slot. Whichever way, I think we're close to set for CBs next year.

I've been more impressed by Morris than Bouye, he might be the 3rd corner that allows Jackson to move into the slot when in nickle

i'll pound my chest on this one, kareem got dealt a ridiculous hand and wasnt given a fair chance by the fans (though "and kareem jackson falls down" was funny as hell). i certainly think he needs to be re-signed. kareem's on my short list of most underrated players in the NFL. he's solid in both man and zone. he's gotten pretty strong on deeper routes. usually a fantastic tackler from outside and inside spots. one of very few top guys who is even better in the slot (which is HUGE). and he excels when challenged - in the slot vs welker or outside vs megatron - kareem can take his game up a notch. a must keep.

i also want to re-sign joseph, though i worry about the cost. our nickel+ guys look so good because they have strong talent around them. one area we could really hurt teams next year is by returning our defensive backs. we've gotten better every week with the packages and who works best with who. seeing manning and lewis paired with jackson, jo and bouye is legit. sub in morris and swearinger for a more physical alignment. i absolutely keep joseph (and frankly our entire secondary) for that alone ... this is a group that's getting very good within the scheme.

That matches my impression. Attempting to replace JJo with Bouye will be a giant step down in coverage.

Rolle has been a pleasant surprise.

That matches my impression. Attempting to replace JJo with Bouye will be a giant step down in coverage.

Rolle has been a pleasant surprise.

If we have to replace JJo, do it with Morris and let Rolle come in on the nickel package

Bouye may be fine with some more time and teaching, but he seems to get caught looking to much

Guys, mark my words. Right here. Bouye will be more than a solid player for us, if not straight up starter material.

No disrespect to Morris, but Bouye from the beginning of the season until now has already taken giant strides in what should be considered, really, his rookie season after injury in year one.

It's true that both Morris and Bouye went undrafted, and in that respect the Texans might have hit paydirt. We're talking Morris at age 24 and Bouye at 23.

At this point, yes, Bouye has been a liability in the tackling department in the open field, though even more injerous to the Texans has been a lack of a true safety. We have an aging one, sure. Otherwise, we have a couple of hard hitters. That's all.

In other words, I think this is the most taleneted group of CBs we've ever had.

Get us at least one good center fielder and we look a lot better out there (with or without JJo).

JJo may not be the shutdown, pro bowl corner he was when he first got here. But he's still a pretty good, above average corner. I fear most fans in here won't appreciate his play until he's gone.

Now despite my thoughts of him, I do agree he's most likely to be cut. He's no longer at the right value. I expect us to draft a corner in the first 3 rounds, and he'll split time with Bouye & Morris.

Whoever is opposite of KJ next season will be picked on a lot!

JJo may not be the shutdown, pro bowl corner he was when he first got here. But he's still a pretty good, above average corner. I fear most fans in here won't appreciate his play until he's gone.

Now despite my thoughts of him, I do agree he's most likely to be cut. He's no longer at the right value. I expect us to draft a corner in the first 3 rounds, and he'll split time with Bouye & Morris.

i think you've hit every single point. jo's not the player he was. he is still a solid corner (if a legit #1 can be called something as lowly as "solid"). the fans would rather have a new player than a good player. probably going to be cut because of his price/value. as good as they look protected, our great depth will be abused when exposed without their veteran's doing the real work (as they were in the bengals game).

i know you cant pay everybody, but as far as any free agency money goes, i think the single greatest thing we could do within our current roster is retain our defensive backfield. good strong individual talent, but more than that is how exceptionally well the players fit together and within the packages we run. one of the single biggest things we did this season was sub in daniel manning to pair with joseph. earlier this season i diagrammed a defensive scheme we were going to get beat by leading up a game with dj and jo, and sure enough that exact combination lead to 2 big plays the following game - for around 100 yards and a touchdown. manning and jo? shut that scenario down. we have the correct talent to do anything we want in the secondary, it'd be foolish to let even a single piece of that go unless the money was franchise crippling.

Hopefully we can draft a cornerback in the first, second or third round in the 2015 draft. Along with a quarterback and wide receiver. In whatever order but those three positions I wouldn't hesitate to draft. Replacing Andre Johnson at some point won't be easy but we should start considering that soon.

Hindsight is 20-20 but had I known Jadeveon Clowney was going to be injury prone maybe we should have traded down and snagged either Sammy Watkins or Odell Beckham Jr. in the first round last year. We need a quarterback, PERIOD. Until we have a good one we can't even talk about winning a Super Bowl or two. That to me has been a franchise long problem.

We have to hit a grand slam with our first three picks in the 2015 draft.
I think Rick Smith will be fired soon if he doesn't dominate the '15 draft.

Guys, mark my words. Right here. Bouye will be more than a solid player for us, if not straight up starter material.

It's true that both Morris and Bouye went undrafted, and in that respect the Texans might have hit paydirt. We're talking Morris at age 24 and Bouye at 23.

Get us at least one good center fielder and we look a lot better out there (with or without JJo).

One of the reasons we have better depth at CB is due to switching from purely man coverage to mostly zone. In the league overall, there are fewer players with the athleticism to play only man. With more zone, the talent pool is broader.

And I agree, we got lucky acquiring Bouye and Morris for free. Good work by our scouts.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joseph took a pay cut to stay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he's played an entire season in Houston without missing a game. He already got his payday from this team, and he enjoys playing with Kareem. I'm usually the type to value the business factors as primary in these situations, but he knows his best days are behind him, and he's happy in Houston. We'll see.

Neat fact: When researching Joseph's background, I found that his major was criminal justice.

Also, even if Joseph stays, I think we're still drafting a CB in the top three (My list: ILB, RT, CB).

No disrespect to Morris, but Bouye from the beginning of the season until now has already taken giant strides in what should be considered, really, his rookie season after injury in year one.

At this point, yes, Bouye has been a liability in the tackling department in the open field, though even more injerous to the Texans has been a lack of a true safety. We have an aging one, sure. Otherwise, we have a couple of hard hitters. That's all.

^^^^
This

Except I want Smith to re-sign Lewis. (Shouldn't be expensive.) I'm all for re-signing KJ if the $$$$ doesn't get crazy. Morris/Bouye/Rolle/Hal is good enough to cover against Luck etc....

What Smith really needs to do is invest most of his draft/FA capital on the offensive side of the ball.

Back