Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The improbable improvement of Kareem Jackson

b0ng

Bad Hombre
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/08/texans-kareem-jackson-showing-a-lot-of-improvement/

Asked to be specific about Jackson, Kubiak said, ”Kareem’s very smart. His diagnosis is excellent. On the back end, you’ve got to be able to cheat on plays. You’ve got to be able to see splits and seek formations and cheat plays. Kareem’s seen enough of them now that’s he’s able to do that quite a bit, and that’s helping him make more plays.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...-Jackson/5bd0e086-1bf4-4186-9772-da47776ae8ab

Quarterback Matt Schaub dropped back to pass and heaved a ball to the end zone. Jackson leapt high in the air to tip the ball with his right hand, then corralled it for a one-handed interception.

It was just one play, but it was representative of the progress that the much-maligned Jackson has made entering his third NFL season.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/14/is-kareem-jackson-improving/

Kareem Jackson was borderline incompetent two seasons ago. And while he made strides last year, he still had to split time at cornerback with Jason Allen.

Soooooooooo, it's being talked about but why do I smell smoke and have the feeling something is being blown up my butt? Is Jackson really improving? Have dogs and cats started living together in harmony? What's really going on denizens of texanstalk?

Also, what do we make of him now judged against his contemporaries who went near where he did in the draft of that year (Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty)?

He made one good play on the ball near the goalline that resulted in a pass defended. Other than that, I can't recall him even making a tackle in that game. Not sure if that's because he was doing well, or Cam was under too much pressure, or if it's because the Panther's WRs are 35 years old. In any case, I didn't see him get beat or miss an assignment in the 10 or so plays he was out there.

Part of the problem here is that some people expected too much of Kareem his rookie year. Progression and improvement are expected out of NFL players, especially early in their careers.

So, Kareem is improving. Good for him and good for the Houston Texans.

Other than the first half of his rookie campaign, KJ has had a quality NFL career and has made steady, visible improvement since he arrived. People are still hung up over those first disastrously bad games during his rookie year, where he was seemingly giving up 100+ yards a game. The player that finished 2010 was very different from the one who started it. Last year, Kareem made a lot of improvements under the new regime and in limited action this TC and preseason he looks like he's only getting better.

I don't think he has the athletic ability or instincts to ever be an elite corner, but he is starting to look like the kind of player who deserved to be picked in the first round.

He made one good play on the ball near the goalline that resulted in a pass defended. Other than that, I can't recall him even making a tackle in that game. Not sure if that's because he was doing well, or Cam was under too much pressure, or if it's because the Panther's WRs are 35 years old. In any case, I didn't see him get beat or miss an assignment in the 10 or so plays he was out there.

Most of the improvement seems to be of the variety that happens Tuesday's through Friday's. I know that when Ajiratutu played with San Diego in 2010 he beat Jackson like a drum. He was out there for Carolina on Saturday and was relatively quiet.

A lot of CBs have a tendency to struggle their first couple of years in the league. KJ has made a lot of improvement. I want to see him perform this year, but I suspect he's developed into an at least serviceable #2.

OTOH, I was never in the "I hate KJ" section of the board.

A lot of CBs have a tendency to struggle their first couple of years in the league. KJ has made a lot of improvement. I want to see him perform this year, but I suspect he's developed into an at least serviceable #2.

OTOH, I was never in the "I hate KJ" section of the board.

I wasn't really either. Other than a blast every now and then his rookie year, of course.

I don't think he'll ever really be a shutdown CB like JJo. I do, however, see him as no longer being a QBs savior when a CB like JJo shuts down their 1st option. Which is fine by me as long as a JJo is on the other side.

On the third play of the game, KJ perfectly read the play and had a pick 6 if could have held onto the ball. The only other time the ball was thrown his way was in the endzone where he defended Smith perfectly. Kareem was our best corner in last week.

Let's all just be cautiously optimistic about Kareem's improvement. From what I'm reading/hearing, at least it sounds like he understands the concept of needing to see the ball in order to make a play on it. That's a start...

Soooooooooo, it's being talked about but why do I smell smoke and have the feeling something is being blown up my butt? Is Jackson really improving? Have dogs and cats started living together in harmony? What's really going on denizens of texanstalk?

Also, what do we make of him now judged against his contemporaries who went near where he did in the draft of that year (Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty)?

Kyle Wilson played in the slot his rookie season. He split time with Cromartie last year, he'll probably start in 2012 as Cro will be playing WR... The Jet's defense was top 3 (I think) when Kyle was a rookie... I don't think they were in the top 10 when he played more at the #2 spot.... I don't think it was his fault, that's not my point.

Devin McCourty was on one of the worst defenses last season. He got bumped from CB to Safety & moved back to CB on a game to game basis.

But we're talking about how much Kareem has to improve. As if Kyle Wilson, Devin McCourty, Joe Haden, or Patrick Peterson don't.

This is Kareem's 3rd year, so I expect him to look average. Maybe worse, as he'll get picked on a lot. But, no one should expect any more. Patrick Peterson is going to look average as a CB, Joe Haden is going to look average... but may not get picked on as much because he has one opposite him.

In previous years, if I'm his DB coach, I'm telling him, "In this situation I want you lined up like this & to play it like that.... In those situations, you need to be here & look for this, that, and be prepared for.... "

This year, I'm not going to be telling him anything, instead I'm going to be asking him, "Why did you do this here, but that there.. what did you see on this play, what were you thinking on that play... did you see this over here, how did that affect your decision? "

Playing CB is not as easy as they make it look.

We love McCain, hate Kareem, but Wade has put Kareem on the field more often.

Hmm....

I was probably most outspoken critic of drafting KJ. Thought he was not the type we needed. I think his improvement is due to his coaches. He has size and ok speed but had trouble in "bump & run" coverage. He tried to knock WR off balance but missed and had "uh,oh" moments. We often saw KJ playing catchup or sometimes on ground. I did not see that as much late last season or so far this one.

I'm going to venture that it's a combination of experience and coaching.

He's a good player on a short field, he's just exposed when he has to run with receivers (see SD and NYJ games from his rookie year). So, with him gaining years of experience on how best to leverage his strengths along with Wade, Vance, and company helping to best illuminate those strengths while hiding his weaknesses (i.e. persistent safety help over the top), you get what we have today.

I still don't fully buy into his "progress" just based on one game in preseason vs. the Panthers. I won't get over-geeked about Andrew Luck vs. the Rams defense...so I also won't get silly over Kareem's game vs. the Panthers.

In year 1, he looked lost and completely overwhelmed by the jump in competition from his days in the SEC to now being in the NFL.

In year 2, he looked discouraged...sharing time with Jason Allen had to be a hit to his ego, especially with J Jo locking down the CB1 position and there's Kareem with a chaperone every Sunday.

Year 3? Maybe this is the year he figures (a) I'm not a rookie, and (b) I don't need a chaperone every Sunday. Maybe this is the year it all comes together for him. I hope so.

Because that Ball dude at CB2 scares the living **** out of me in ways I never knew existed.

On the third play of the game, KJ perfectly read the play and had a pick 6 if could have held onto the ball. The only other time the ball was thrown his way was in the endzone where he defended Smith perfectly. Kareem was our best corner in last week.

Yes, that would be his good play near the goalline, however it was the only stat he recorded in the entire game. Calling him the best CB of the game is misguided though, Jonathan Joseph allowed Steve Smith 1 catch for 4 yards and Steve Smith is light years ahead of any other WR on the Panthers.

KJ had a good game, albeit only about 10 plays. It's a good start no doubt, but I want to see him more this week before I'm confident in his ability to be the #2 CB.

having j-jo and manning on the field had nothing to do with the fluidity kareem showed at the cornerback position in carolina.while i agree having those two has made kareems transition a bit easier he is coming into his own this season. look, i get it, kareem has been the whipping boy by the knee jerk fans, "hes the slowest, worst, dumbest, cb in the league, complete bust. anytime he makes a positive play its because the pass rush was getting after the qb or j-jo had his man shut down." he will never get any credit..

im looking forward to the combo of j-jo and kjax being one of the better 1-2s this year at the position.. this defense is stacked..

I dont think his improvement is so improbable at all.

I do believe he was thrown into the fire before he was ready and the fact that there was zero pass rush that first season didnt help.

He only had one bad quarter last season when Drew Brees picked on him constantly .... but Brees being an elite QB can make an awful low of CB's look bad.

Now they have a fantastic pass rush and he's gained valuable experience as well as confidence .... a CB with no confidence isnt going to trust his ability nor the system.

Add up the experience , confidence and pass rush .... you get a player who's had a lightbulb moment.

Add up the experience , confidence and pass rush .... you get a player who's had a lightbulb moment.

He was really bad his first year, now he's much better as anyone can see. Whatever the reason for his first year woes and his improvement since we can talk about all day long I suppose. But it does sound like he's turning into a good corner, and we need that, so good for him.

I'm sure they are going to try to wiggle Brandon Harris on the field one way or another. It will most likely cost Kareem some playing time, but I don't think that will reflect negatively on Kj uncles it's close to the 50-50 split he had with Allen.

I don't think Kareem is a star by any means. I don't see him as a play maker but I think he's a very good cover guy right now, so we'll see.

He was really bad his first year, now he's much better as anyone can see. Whatever the reason for his first year woes and his improvement since we can talk about all day long I suppose. But it does sound like he's turning into a good corner, and we need that, so good for him.

I think its a combination of all those things in no particular order - Coaching , Confidence , Pass rush , Experience.

I don't see him as a play maker but I think he's a very good cover guy right now, so we'll see.

You might have to rethink that statement .... He's looking for the ball now rather than looking like Ball who never looks for the ball .... and thats how a CB makes plays rather than just giving up yards and making a tackle after.

KJ made strides last yr. (He didn't fall down every time a WR made a double move)

He still wasn't good enough to beat out Allen. (Scary thought)

I don't know about that...

Well, not from my perspective at least...

I thought Chris Meyers had talent since day one. I thought he fit what we needed out of the position to a T.

I think Kareem has just flat out gotten better. Maybe we can say the same thing about Meyers, bu tI think the improvement in Kareem is more dramatic...

JMO...

I belileve that's his point. 76 has been a supporter of Meyers from day one, way before we had one of the better OL in the league. Based on consistently doing what he was asked to do, 76 knew once the rest of the team matched Meyers level of consistency, we'd have a solid OL. Some people focused on Kris Jenkins tossing Meyers... 'duh, Jenkins tossed everybody.

Based on what the Texans said they were looking for when they drafted Kj, 76 has confirmed that everything they said was there. He played like a rookie on a team that had serious issues. He looked like a rookie.

But Kj consistently did his job. Once the safety play got better, once the LBs got better, once the pass rush got better, Kj "looked" a lot better. No doubt, that Kj has to get better, but it's no different for him than any other player in the league. If they are not getting better, they're getting replaced.

76 doesn't look at just the individual players, but how they fit in the concept to what the team is trying to do. Like your input in that other thread, where you pointed out that both tackles went for the DEs knees to get their hands down to facilitate a quick release... instead of getting on Butler for doing his job, you put the focus on Matt's decision making, which was the main issue in that particular play.

You & 76. If people would listen, we'd all improve our football intelligence.

I'm in late on this convo and didn't have a chance to read the whole thread. That said, I admit to raking Kareem over the coals. That said, he was much improved last year, even in a platoon situation.

Could've it been a situation where during his rookie season that the coaching was so horrible, he sucked so bad? Afterall, this is a guy who was a pretty good player in the SEC at Alabama. Maybe, if coached up properly by Vance Johnson, could he turn into a servicable, if not, more than servicable CB???

In the end, I'm willing to let it play out.

I'm in late on this convo and didn't have a chance to read the whole thread. That said, I admit to raking Kareem over the coals. That said, he was much improved last year, even in a platoon situation.

Could've it been a situation where during his rookie season that the coaching was so horrible, he sucked so bad? Afterall, this is a guy who was a pretty good player in the SEC at Alabama. Maybe, if coached up properly by Vance Johnson, could he turn into a servicable, if not, more than servicable CB???

In the end, I'm willing to let it play out.

IBT Kareem lovers say I told you so

I told you so.......:kitten:

IBT Kareem lovers say I told you so

I told you so.......:kitten:

HA!! Yeah, I was actually stoked whenever the Texans drafted him... Then, and only then his rookie season was sh!te!! Then again, that was a time when the Texans "D" staff was crap.

Again, I don't think KJ will be any great shakes, but I do think with the current staff, he can be very servicable.

Show me someone on our defense his rookie year that wasn't bad, we couldn't get pressure if our life depended on it. His bad year was even worse cause our front 7 couldn't pressure anyone..

Chris Myers part deux! :)
Exactly. Myers finally got it. Kareem's improvement comes from hard work, better coaching, experience, and the right system. System is big. Ask Jason Babin.

It takes a lot of character to push past widely help perceptions and will yourself to another level of play. Kudos to KJ if he gets to the level of solid, middle-of-the-pack CB this year.

HA!! Yeah, I was actually stoked whenever the Texans drafted him... Then, and only then his rookie season was sh!te!! Then again, that was a time when the Texans "D" staff was crap.

Again, I don't think KJ will be any great shakes, but I do think with the current staff, he can be very servicable.

I wasn't stoked about the pick , as a matter of fact I hated the pick ( like all the first rounders since 08). The thing that i like the most about Kareem is his tough skin . I think he feed off that ,used it and you can see he's put in the work to become a better player.

Told ya so...

Brian Cushing DROY?

Cushing was suspended because of PEDs to start the year. It could even be said he had a down year after his suspension (at least compared to his ROY campaign). Demeco Ryans went down midseason and missed the final ten games. The secondary was awful the entire year. I actually don't know if there were any bright spots on the defense in 2010.

Like you said, we had a lot of issues in 2010, Frank Bush just wasn't well equipped (between the ears) to compensate. Where Wade has the experience to know you gotta keep doing what you're good at despite whatever complications that pop up.

KJ is not the next coming of Deon. I get the feeling that is what many of us expect. But I Think he is going to be a fine cover corner. More like Namdi, where QBs just don't throw his way.

If h is looking for the ball now, like it's been stated he is going to have a fin year. But since he doesn't get many interceptions ( even going back to his college days) he''ll get overshadowed by Manning & Jjo.

The way this team brings the heat, watch our corners start jumping the short out routes. I see pick six runs backs in our future. If our QB learns how to take a step up in the pocket, we can go all the way. Our defense will take the ball away and our offense will chew clock. It should be smothering. Up to Schaub and the O line to get us there but it's starting to feel inevitable like when the Rockets went on their mid 90's run. You think, this is Houston, snake bit city. Something bad will happen. Felt that way with the Rockets but they just powered through the fear and uncertainty and took it.

The way this team brings the heat, watch our corners start jumping the short out routes. I see pick six runs backs in our future. If our QB learns how to take a step up in the pocket, we can go all the way. Our defense will take the ball away and our offense will chew clock. It should be smothering. Up to Schaub and the O line to get us there but it's starting to feel inevitable like when the Rockets went on their mid 90's run. You think, this is Houston, snake bit city. Something bad will happen. Felt that way with the Rockets but they just powered through the fear and uncertainty and took it.

If it feels like it's going to happen. Rent assured, it won't. Last few super bowl champs were improbable options. Both the Packers & Giants went into the post season at 9-7

If it feels like it's going to happen. Rent assured, it won't. Last few super bowl champs were improbable options. Both the Packers & Giants went into the post season at 9-7

Fair enough. Those Rockets teams got hot at the right time. They were nothing spectacular during the regular season. But then again, occasionally a one season juggernaut powers through the league. 1985 Bears come to mind. It's leap year rare, but it happens.

I don't know why I thought this was near the goalline, but here's Kareem's play of the day. Nearly a Troy Nolan INT, but just a few milliseconds too slow. Good read, didn't get confused by the 3 WR bunch and he covered the open man. Bravo Kjax!

KareemJackson1.gif

Nice. A little anticipation there, kinda like he read the QBs eyes & jumped the route. Ball went right through his hands.

Kareem has been good on the short stuff since his rookie year, but that play he made last Saturday jumping that pass was not something weve seen a lot of.

Usually he's in good position on this type of routes, but it looks like now he has gotten to the point where he makes plays on the ball.

If Kareem can take his intermediate and deep coverage to another level as well then he is a keeper for sure.

He's always been a good tackler on the edge, so he really just has a few things to work on to become a solid all around player.

And tbh he looked better than j Jo did last game. J Jo will make his plays though.

My biggest issue with Kareem has been the fact that he didn't make a lot of plays on the ball.

If he can start doing that consistently I think he can actually be more than serviceable.

He looked really confident out there. Better body posture than I've ever seen from him.

I remember his rookie year when he was always tugging on his damn face mask. Like his helmet didn't fit right or something. He looked completely uncomfortable. I haven't seen him doing that lately.

He looks like a real player now.

I don't know why I thought this was near the goalline, but here's Kareem's play of the day. Nearly a Troy Nolan INT, but just a few milliseconds too slow. Good read, didn't get confused by the 3 WR bunch and he covered the open man. Bravo Kjax!

I liked the way they executed the coverage pre-snap, and just after the snap.

kareem+jackson.gif

Manning is manned up on Olsen, while it looks like KJ and McCain are in a matchup zone.

With the receivers crisscrossing, it looked like there was potential for some confusion there, but KJ and McCain managed to switch off seamlessly.

I'm really not surprised. I saw a decent CB last year, I saw improvement from year one to year two. This is why you give players a 3-4 year period to evaluate. That's all you ask for from young players is improvement year to year, that usually means they are working hard and they want to get better.

I guess we'll see, it's only pre-season. But I think he was good enough last year (obviously, Kareem still played a big role on one of the best secondaries in the NFL last year.) then any improvement is huge.

So far Kareem has only been improving his game, not regressing. Not saying the sky is the limit I'm just saying that's usually a very good thing for a player.

Nice to have the Kareem Jackson thread back!

The goal line play to me was more impressive than the one in the animated GIF posted above. For one because it was in the red zone. Two because he was on Steve Smith, a pretty damn good WR. It was a longer route too (though not the deep route that we were used to seeing him burned on in previous years) so his coverage needed to stay tight longer. KJax got his hands on the ball on that short route above, but the only reason he didn't get his hands on the ball on the goal line pass was because Cam threw it where neither he nor Smith could get the ball. To me, it looked like had Cam thrown it where Steve Smith would have had a chance, then Kareem would have had as good or better chance to pull it in because he was RIGHT there. That really impressed me.

KJ made strides last yr. (He didn't fall down every time a WR made a double move)

He still wasn't good enough to beat out Allen. (Scary thought)

kareem was the starter and on the field in the 4th quarter, that would certainly indicate that he beat out allen..

kareem+jackson.gif

Nearly a Kjax Pick Six ..... :aggressive:

kareem was the starter and on the field in the 4th quarter, that would certainly indicate that he beat out allen..

They split time and no KJ wasn't always on the field in the 4th qtr. KJ has improved but lets see him at the grownups table. (Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Stafford/Cutler) rather than the kiddie table (Dan O/Gabbert/Hasselbeck/Flacco/Campbell).

I'm not ready to crown him a middle of the road CB right now. Much less a top tier CB some on the MB have said he has become. Really, to this point what has KJ done to deserve that kind of accolades?

Back