Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The hot seat

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
This interview is the first of it's kind. I find myself drawn to something more then the status QUO here. This poster is a boiling pot and his opinions on the Texans spur arguments. Often, I watch his post and see the responses catapult into chaos. Today's hot seat guest is @steelbtexan.

Today, with any luck we'll delve into his opinions on the team and maybe more.

We've agreed to meet in a lounge near the Galleria to talk. I cant help but feel anxious on what might follow. I'm early and from the 3rd floor window I see an Audi coup pull up. The driver briskly exits the car and gives his keys as well as a tip without breaking step to the valet. The valet appears surprised at such a tip and carries on.

Just a minute later @steelbtexan is in the lounge and I wave to get his attention. We greet one another and introduce ourselves. His hand shake is firm and his eye contact is unwavering.

His suit is finely pressed with no hint of wrinkles. He has a square jaw and broad shoulders. He's a bit shorter then most men but imposing nonetheless. Somehow, he reminds me of napoleon.

As we sink into dark leather seats he calls the Garcon and orders scotch and cigars for the both of us.

I ask my first question as he sparks his cigar and smiles at me grimly...

"Let's start from the beginning. Your a Texans fan. Did you grow up loving the Oilers and hating the cowboys?"

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This interview is the first of it's kind. I find myself drawn to something more then the status QUO here. This poster is a boiling pot and his opinions on the Texans spur arguments. Often, I watch his post and see the responses catapult into chaos. Today's hot seat guest is @steelbtexan.

We've agreed to meet in a lounge near the Galleria to talk. I cant help but feel anxious on what might follow. I'm early and from the 3rd floor window I see an Audi coup pull up. The driver briskly exits the car and gives his keys as well as a tip without breaking step to the valet. The valet appears surprised at such a tip and carries on.

Just a minute later @steelbtexan is in the lounge and I wave to get his attention. We greet one another and introduce ourselves. His hand shake is firm and his eye contact is unwavering.

His suit is finely pressed with no hint of wrinkles. He has a square jaw and broad shoulders. He's a bit shorter then most men but imposing nonetheless. Somehow, he reminds me of napoleon.

As we sink into dark leather seats he calls the Garcon and orders scotch and cigars for the both of us.

"Let's start from the beginning. Your a Texans fan. Did you grow up loving the Oilers and hating the cowboys?"
Growing up I was an Oilers fan 1st and a Cowboys fan 2nd. My dream is an all Texas SB.

I attended my 1st Oilers game on my in 1972 as a birthday (10th) present from my mother. (God rest her soul.) The Oilers won 26-20 with Kent Nix replacing an injured Dan Pastorini. When Pastorini got hurt they also lost their punter. (Pastorini was their Punter too.) It was the only victory for the Oilers that season and Dante took a beating that would've made David Carr proud. People who consider BOB to be dumb obviously are to young to remember Bill Peterson.

Next Question

BTw, I'm 6'1 and a slightly over weight 240 Lbs. I enjoy a good glass of cab and craft beers.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
I attended my 1st Oilers game on my in 1972 as a birthday (10th) present from my mother. (God rest her soul.) The Oilers won 26-20 with Kent Nix replacing an injured Dan Pastorini.
Wow, that was the first NFL game I ever attended also. I was 12, had been begging my Dad to take me to a game for like a year. He wasn't a big football fan, but he finally gave in. It was against the Jets, and was their only win that season. 1 - 13

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Wow, that was the first NFL game I ever attended also. I was 12, had been begging my Dad to take me to a game for like a year. He wasn't a big football fan, but he finally gave in. It was against the Jets, and was their only win that season. 1 - 13
My first NFL game was at Jeppensen stadium. My first NFL game in the dome was the beating Earl put on the Dolphins

powda

@steelbtexan I know you've been a Texans fan from the get go. Can you share your thoughts on the early years? Casserly, Capers, Carr and company?

Where you a guy who thought the o-line broke Carr or a guy who just never thought Carr was good enough?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I remember those days (barely) of Peterson. The Oilers were horrible back then until Bum Phillips finally came along.
Pot will do that to you.

Sid Gillman was the most important element of the turnaround. He created a winning culture and hired Bum as his DC.

I never really figured out why Bud fired a HOF'er like Sid.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
[\QUOTE="powda, post: 3027071, member: 545"]
@steelbtexan I know you've been a Texans fan from the get go. Can you share your thoughts on the early years? Casserly, Capers, Carr and company?

Where you a guy who thought the o-line broke Carr or a guy who just never thought Carr was good enough?
[/QUOTE]

I didn't like the Casserly hire. He made his reputation off of Beathard's work. Plus when other owners who are trying their best to kick your butt are recommending a guy to lead your franchise, you should alaways consider the sources and hire somebody else.

I loved the Capers hire a vet coach who had lead an expansion franchise. I wish he would've hired a proven OC though.

Casserly tried to build a competent OL. Boselli and Young were/got injured and barely played. They also signed McKinney to be the leader of the OL. This was the beginning of long term problems with the Texans p!ss poor medical staff.

The reason Capers needed a strong OC/QB coach because David Carr didn't have the work ethic needed to be successful and Carr's QB coach was essentially Roger Carr. (I cant stand this guy.)

So ultimately I was disappointed in Capers because he didn't give Carr the coaches he needed to success.

In short for multiple reasons ownership has failed with the on field product and I wish they would put the kind of emphasis on the on the field product as Jamey Rootes has with the off field product. I really think that the McNair's are happy with cashing checks and while they would like to win there's not a burning desire to bring a championship to Houston. They like socializing with the River Oaks crowd more than winning a SB.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker

Now what lounge allows smoking while you drink?

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
People who consider BOB to be dumb obviously are to young to remember Bill Peterson.
That's a good point. Once the Oilers kicked a field goal and the defense was offside. Peterson elected to take the 3 points off the board, accept the penalty, and go for 6. He went for it with a fake field goal, apparently hoping to fool the defense!!!!! ! Some of you may remember, that really happened, and it tops anything I could make up.

I wasn't at that game, but I was in the stands when the Astros set a National League record and tied a major league record, turning 7 double plays in a 9-inning game.

ROO

Tweak the offense already!
That's a good point. Once the Oilers kicked a field goal and the defense was offside. Peterson elected to take the 3 points off the board, accept the penalty, and go for 6. He went for it with a fake field goal, apparently hoping to fool the defense!!!!! ! Some of you may remember, that really happened, and it tops anything I could make up.
I remember that 100%! I seem to remember my Dad and I were driving home from a hunting trip and were listening on the radio. Yes, that really happened!

powda

@steelbtexan

I generally agree with everything you've said. I personally think Casserly set the franchise back a decade...

Was Carr the right pick at the right time or were you a Julius Peppers guy?

Was Kubiak the right coach to succeed Capers? Did you root for hiring a different coach?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
@steelbtexan

I generally agree with everything you've said. I personally think Casserly set the franchise back a decade...

Was Carr the right pick at the right time or were you a Julius Peppers guy?

Was Kubiak the right coach to succeed Capers? Did you root for hiring a different coach?
Casserly set the franchise back atleast 5 yrs. Kubiak did a good job of building a foundation for success. (Alex Gibbs helped alot with this too.)

I was a Peppers guy because I thought it was wrong for Carr to have to be the face of the franchise as a rookie. Drafting Carr and Carr's relationship with Bob McNair set this franchise back more than even Casserly could. Look at some of the QB's the Texans passed on while hoping Carr could become a franchise QB.

Yes, and I still think Kubiak was a good hire at the time and now. Kubiak brought a proven system and credibility the franchise had been lacking. Of course in the true McNair fashion (We're on the right track) they should've fired both RS/Kubiak in 2010. The franchise still hasn't fully recovered from these decisions to this day.

powda

@steelbtexan

You say Kubiak was a good hire then and now. Then you follow it by saying he should've been fired sooner.

Seems a bit contradictory. Can you explain? Are there outside factors that make you think this? What (who) could they be?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
@steelbtexan

You say Kubiak was a good hire then and now. Then you follow it by saying he should've been fired sooner.

Seems a bit contradictory. Can you explain? Are there outside factors that make you think this? What (who) could they be?
They needed a good solid HC to bring stability to the org and Kubiak brought that. He and RS should've been fired after 2010 because they spent all of the 2009 offseason celebrating the 1st winning season 9-7 even to the point of Kubiak getting an elective surgery during the combine and left the scouting to RS. The next season the team predictably fell flat on their collective faces. The Vince Young Monday night game was the 1st time I felt that game was more important to the fanbase than it was to the McNair's/Texans org. These events let me know Smithiak weren't the guys to lead the Texans org to a SB. They liked resting on their laurels and the McNairs were/are happy being good enough to keep cashing those checks and didn't have a burning desire to bring a SB to Houston. This is still the case. IMHO

BOB wants badly to win but has the smartest guy in the room complex. He needs help but for some reason isn't willing to get the help he needs.

powda

@steelbtexan

I'm surprised at your response here. Its sounds like you place blame evenly on Rick Smith and Kubiak. I supposed you would blame rick alone.

Imo, Kubiak's loyalty to his coaching staff was his biggest downfall. Especially on defense. With Schaub's demise, the offense got stagnant. Rick did no favors busting a bundle of mid round picks and some dumb contracts.

I want to point out for any readers you did say Kubiak and Smith shouldve been fired at the same time...

Do you feel the same or have a different pov? Do you have any follow ups on that?

Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
@steelbtexan

I'm surprised at your response here. Its sounds like you place blame evenly on Rick Smith and Kubiak. I supposed you would blame rick alone.

Imo, Kubiak's loyalty to his coaching staff was his biggest downfall. Especially on defense. With Schaub's demise, the offense got stagnant. Rick did no favors busting a bundle of mid round picks and some dumb contracts.

I want to point out for any readers you did say Kubiak and Smith shouldve been fired at the same time...

Do you feel the same or have a different pov? Do you have any follow ups on that?
They should've been fired at the same time and when that didn't happen RS/BOB should've been shown the door at the same time too. This org has to learn how to clean house. They haven't in over a decade and it's going to be atleast 3-4 more yrs before change happens if it happens at all.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
@steelbtexan

That's what got Kubiak ran out of Denver with Elway. It also contributed a lot to his health and stress problems. He refused to fire certain coaches on his staff that Elway felt wasn't earning their keep. Kubiak was not comfortable doing it, and it led to his departure.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Apologies to hurt feelings for moving the thread. I mistakenly thought it was non-football related.

A simple PM to a mod would have been sufficient. Refer to mods as "Nazis" again and maybe we'll start acting like it.
The first 12 posts were definitely non-Texans related

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
I read that we had a chance to draft Willie Roaf in the expansion draft. I remember him well with the Saints and later he was great with the Chiefs. Why didn't we take him in that draft? That's one of those things that could have changed everything had we got him or no?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I read that we had a chance to draft Willie Roaf in the expansion draft. I remember him well with the Saints and later he was great with the Chiefs. Why didn't we take him in that draft? That's one of those things that could have changed everything had we got him or no?
ACL injury the previous season and a higher cap number.

Not saying those are good/bad reasons, just those were the talked about issues at the time.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Because Casserly made a ridiculous deal with the Jaguars

ShinobiMusashi

Waterboy
So they passed on Roaf due to his injury and took Boseli instead, and Boseli goes on to never play a down for us due to injuries while Roaf never misses a game from 2002 through 2004(and he was one of the best during that time, All Pro level). Wow.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I would pm whoever deleted my post instead of making the post I did if I had a clue as to which one of you heavy handed guys deleted it. But the.system isn't showing who moved this thread.

Is this a good enough reply for you? Whoever you are or are you going to delete this post too?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I would pm whoever deleted my post instead of making the post I did if I had a clue as to which one of you heavy handed guys deleted it. But the.system isn't showing who moved this thread.

Is this a good enough reply for you? Whoever you are or are you going to delete this post too?
You can PM any mod. They'll check. We hold each other accountable.

I moved the thread by mistake (thought it was non-football related). I advised the OP accordingly. I also mentioned it up thread. It's nothing to get emotional about, so check yourself.

I deleted your post for calling the mods names. Like I said to you in PM, you can either be an asset to the forum or a cancer. It's your call.

We can be heavy handed if that's what you're challenging us to do. The toxic BS is going to stop. We won't lose this forum over this childish crap.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You can PM any mod. They'll check. We hold each other accountable.

I moved the thread by mistake (thought it was non-football related). I advised the OP accordingly. I also mentioned it up thread. It's nothing to get emotional about, so check yourself.

I deleted your post for calling the mods names. Like I said to you in PM, you can either be an asset to the forum or a cancer. It's your call.

We can be heavy handed if that's what you're challenging us to do. The toxic BS is going to stop. We won't lose this forum over this childish crap.
I choose to be neither an assets or a liability.

When posts get moved or deleted it doesn't say who removed or moved them.

So when I get an alert like the one you posted I have know idea who did/or said what.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I choose to be neither an assets or a liability.
You don't have to choose. Your actions will define you accordingly. (It's still your call in the end.)

When posts get moved or deleted it doesn't say who removed or moved them.

So when I get an alert like the one you posted I have know idea who did/or said what.
Forum policy is to notify the poster who started the thread if it is moved or deleted.

With regards to anyone posting in said thread, a simple question could have solved the mystery. It was never personal, regardless if it was perceived that way or not.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You don't have to choose. Your actions will define you accordingly. (It's still your call in the end.)

Forum policy is to notify the poster who started the thread if it is moved or deleted.

With regards to anyone posting in said thread, a simple question could have solved the mystery. It was never personal, regardless if it was perceived that way or not.
I didn't know you moved the thread. I know it wasn't personal. If other.ods had moved I might have felt differently. Currently there's no way to know which mod moves/ deletes threads and posts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What rule did I break?

I didn't refer to any particular Mod as a Nazi.

Some people have let the mod thingy go to there heads. Not referring to you.