Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Bowl next year?

Sonny

TexSon Proud
Let's be realistic. Within 3 years?

Assuming our GM isn't our last GM.. or our first for that matter and acquires the pieces necessary ie. o-line, d-backs, a truly prolific tight end, etc...

Do we actually still have enough from our 'stars' to make it happen?

God bless Watt but he's about done.

Watson and DHop should be good to go for another 5 years.. let's hope they aren't wasted.

I could nit pick on em all but you get my point.

Yes or No will suffice.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Assuming our GM isn't our last GM.. or our first for that matter and acquires the pieces necessary ie. o-line, d-backs, a truly prolific tight end, etc...

Watson and DHop should be good to go for another 5 years.. let's hope they aren't wasted.

Yes or No will suffice.
Watson will continue to mature and learn and should be around for another 15 years hopefully.
Winning a SB takes a lot of things to go right.
A laundry list of "right" things:-
1. Excellent coaching in all facets of football.
2. The key piece of the team must be in place - a competent QB.
3. Have competent pieces in place to support the QB -i.e., a cohesive offense.
4. A competent defense.
5. The team stays relatively healthy during the season.

The answer is yes, but we will have to see how the team develops, now it has the key piece in place.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
KC and Indy are ahead of us in most of the key pieces you mention. Nuk and DW4 give us hope, but until Brady's arm falls off I see us as hoping versus kicking the door in because those three teams are ahead of us now. Pittsburgh seems a mess

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I'm gonna say yes. I know Houston history is against me for 50+ years. But I'm gonna be an optimist. Because if there is no hope, what's the point?

I'm gonna hope that they add a key OL vet and a rookie this year, along with a top CB, retain the right FA, have the breaks go our way for 19 weeks or more. Texans will come through like the Rockets (huge surprise there) Astros (maybe a bigger surprise) did. Never know when that missing piece (Verlander) will come along. Maybe it will be this year!

and no I ain't drunk yet

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I'm gonna say yes. I know Houston history is against me for 50+ years. But I'm gonna be an optimist. Because if there is no hope, what's the point?

I'm gonna hope that they add a key OL vet and a rookie this year, along with a top CB, retain the right FA, have the breaks go our way for 19 weeks or more. Texans will come through like the Rockets (huge surprise there) Astros (maybe a bigger surprise) did. Never know when that missing piece (Verlander) will come along. Maybe it will be this year!

and no I ain't drunk yet
One of the key aspects that Texans really need to address is their running game and that help starts in the trenches with the o-line.
Texans could not get a first down early on to save themselves in that wildcard game and that is what ultimately did them in.
If they had been able to score at least twice in that first half, they were in the game and their chances would have been dramatically higher.
Sure, defensive stops would have helped also but if you don't score points when the opposition does, you fall behind not only on the scoreboard, but in the minds of the players. If you don't score points, then you won't win games.
Texans have been a much better team with a working ground game and they desperately need to re-establish one.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
One of the key aspects that Texans really need to address is their running game and that help starts in the trenches with the o-line.
Texans could not get a first down early on to save themselves in that wildcard game and that is what ultimately did them in.
If they had been able to score at least twice in that first half, they were in the game and their chances would have been dramatically higher.
Sure, defensive stops would have helped also but if you don't score points when the opposition does, you fall behind not only on the scoreboard, but in the minds of the players. If you don't score points, then you won't win games.
Texans have been a much better team with a working ground game and they desperately need to re-establish one.
Don't know why you quoted me. Your post doesn't address the OP at all. You are just migrating the OL thread here. It's about more than that. Do you think the Texans can do it or not? What's your confidence level? Not asking for re-hash of known problems, but can they fix them?

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Watson should be good for 10+ years if we get him some protection. If he keeps taking sacks like last season then every year is possibly his last. Once you have your QB in place then you can start building the team around them and be long term contenders.

Yeah KC is ahead of us but they may not stay that way for as long as some people think they will. Odds are, literally according most betting groups, they are winning the bowl this year and all teams after winning the bowl lose key players because that ring drives their price up so high. Mahomes is on a rookie deal just like Watson but I'm sure some of the rest are looking at getting paid next year if they win.

Indy doesn't scare me as much as it does others, think to many are making judgements based off that last game. Yeah they have improved but they still have the same problem now they always have had, they are completely dependent on Luck (pun intended). Now that's true for most teams with franchise QBs, including us, but the difference is Luck has been beat up more than most top shelf QBs playing now. No matter how good the line he is going to take some sacks and it wouldn't take much to put him out again. Also he is not near as mobile as he was 5 years ago so he can't get away like he use to.

As a side note I can see Brady retiring in the next 5 years, Rogers contact as handicapped Packers in many ways, Big Ben is very hit or miss on his seasons as is Brees so it's very much a young QB age.

So to answer your question if we patch the glaring holes we have with players that at least rate as decent then yeah I can see us winning within 3 years.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Watson should be good for 10+ years if we get him some protection. If he keeps taking sacks like last season then every year is possibly his last. Once you have your QB in place then you can start building the team around them and be long term contenders.

Yeah KC is ahead of us but they may not stay that way for as long as some people think they will. Odds are, literally according most betting groups, they are winning the bowl this year and all teams after winning the bowl lose key players because that ring drives their price up so high. Mahomes is on a rookie deal just like Watson but I'm sure some of the rest are looking at getting paid next year if they win.

Indy doesn't scare me as much as it does others, think to many are making judgements based off that last game. Yeah they have improved but they still have the same problem now they always have had, they are completely dependent on Luck (pun intended). Now that's true for most teams with franchise QBs, including us, but the difference is Luck has been beat up more than most top shelf QBs playing now. No matter how good the line he is going to take some sacks and it wouldn't take much to put him out again. Also he is not near as mobile as he was 5 years ago so he can't get away like he use to.

As a side note I can see Brady retiring in the next 5 years, Rogers contact as handicapped Packers in many ways, Big Ben is very hit or miss on his seasons as is Brees so it's very much a young QB age.

So to answer your question if we patch the glaring holes we have with players that at least rate as decent then yeah I can see us winning within 3 years.
Okay, but please everyone, let'a not make this yet another OL or OB thread? Not speaking mainly to you mav, just using this as a launching point for my rant. Can we,as a board, not attack other poster with a differing view? Also known as 'attack the post, not the poster? And do we really need to share info that has been posted in one thread or another for 50 gazillion times? I know that those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it, but damn people, this is a MB meant for entertainment. Very sad if you get your entertainment being miserable

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
As much as I'd like to be optimistic about certain aspects of this group - Deshaun, DHop, JJ, hopefully bringing guys back affordably like JDC, Matthieu, Kareem, etc - I'm still hard pressed to have any confidence with the idea of OB staring across the field from the Belichick's, McVay's, Reid's, and Payton's off the league. Just is that it is until he gives me reason to believe otherwise.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
As much as I'd like to be optimistic about certain aspects of this group - Deshaun, DHop, JJ, hopefully bringing guys back affordably like JDC, Matthieu, Kareem, etc - I'm still hard pressed to have any confidence with the idea of OB staring across the field from the Belichick's, McVay's, Reid's, and Payton's off the league. Just is that it is until he gives me reason to believe otherwise.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Don't know why you quoted me. Your post doesn't address the OP at all. You are just migrating the OL thread here. It's about more than that. Do you think the Texans can do it or not? What's your confidence level? Not asking for re-hash of known problems, but can they fix them?

"Never know when that missing piece (Verlander) will come along."

Therein lies the problem. Does anyone even know what that "missing piece" is?

It's hard to have any confidence when one reads about all the holes in this team. If we believe all we read about it.

What do we see that could possibly inspire confidence?

Maybe the missing piece has arrived in our new GM. Hopefully he can solve the problem of an uninspiring / inefficient team now that he as all the assets to do so.

Like Thorn said, "we can only believe what we see."

But hope springs eternal.

Guess my answer is......maybe. :)

:coffee:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How many rings do Reid/McVay have?

As many as BOB.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
"Never know when that missing piece (Verlander) will come along."

Therein lies the problem. Does anyone even know what that "missing piece" is?

It's hard to have any confidence when one reads about all the holes in this team. If we believe all we read about it.

What do we see that could possibly inspire confidence?

Maybe the missing piece has arrived in our new GM. Hopefully he can solve the problem of an uninspiring / inefficient team now that he as all the assets to do so.

Like Thorn said, "we can only believe what we see."

But hope springs eternal.

Guess my answer is......maybe. :)

:coffee:
If Gaine can have another strong draft and FA, then we will have plenty to look forward to.
And he will have a 1st and two 2nds to work with in this next draft so it will be a very interesting and important one for him and this team.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Since you are basically saying "IF everything goes our way can we make it?"

Im going to say "Yes" because we made it 11-5 season with what we have now......

However arguing probability and possibility are two separate debates.

Just cause its possible doesn't mean I believe its probable that we WILL have everything go our way.

I for one didn't think that Watt had any more years left in him after a second back surgery BUT I did say that IF anyone could come back from a second back surgery it would be him. So I would love for him to have a lot left in the tank and surprise me again.

Last edited:

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
If neither HC has won or even played in a SB then we don't know how they will react.
This doesn't change who I favor as the better HC.

As of right now I'd favor all of those guys head to head vs OB, rings or no rings. If you'd favor OB instead then that's your prerogative, and ok.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
The Texans super bowl odds for next year are 25-1. Basically around 15th.

I don't really see a path too much improvement under the current philosophy

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
The Texans super bowl odds for next year are 25-1. Basically around 15th.

I don't really see a path too much improvement under the current philosophy
Considering the Chiefs weren't predicted to even make the ppayoffs this year at the start of the season you'll forgive me if I don't put much faith in those odds

I still say three years is doable even with the current coaching staff. We have many of the right tools and other teams have won with far less and no, not all of those teams had a Belichick level coach.

Really an unspoken part of winning or losing a Super Bowl is a certain amount of luck. Whether that comes in the form of a ref making a call that benefits you, an opponent coach making a bad call, another team losing a game they shouldn't have or a gust of wind knocking a kick or pass just slightly off. It can't be predicted, it certainly can't be relied on but it plays a part in every win or loss. I think we might be due a little luck our way.

Unless you are Tom Brady and then the NFL will just make it against the rules for the other team to be on the field when you are.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Considering the Chiefs weren't predicted to even make the ppayoffs this year at the start of the season you'll forgive me if I don't put much faith in those odds

I still say three years is doable even with the current coaching staff. We have many of the right tools and other teams have won with far less and no, not all of those teams had a Belichick level coach.

Really an unspoken part of winning or losing a Super Bowl is a certain amount of luck. Whether that comes in the form of a ref making a call that benefits you, an opponent coach making a bad call, another team losing a game they shouldn't have or a gust of wind knocking a kick or pass just slightly off. It can't be predicted, it certainly can't be relied on but it plays a part in every win or loss. I think we might be due a little luck our way.

Unless you are Tom Brady and then the NFL will just make it against the rules for the other team to be on the field when you are.
That's true, KCs super bowl odds improved a lot. Mainly due to Andy Reids offense and mahomes.

But I'm not sure it's that much about luck. Of course theres always a certain amount of luck, but I don't think the Pats, Saints, Rams or Chiefs are lucky. They are just really good.

To win it all you probably have to be both very good and lucky. You can't just be lucky.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker

Yes or No will suffice.
You gotta be kidding. For how long do we have BOB locked up?

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
we got the main ingredient a good franchise QB

so IMO has long has we got Watson we got a chance to win a SB every year

NOwww now its up to the GM to make sure we build the best team we can have around him to make Watson efforts that much more eaiser

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

NOwww now its up to the GM to make sure we build the best team we can have around him to make Watson efforts that much more eaiser

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Now that they can have some confidence that Watson is a franchise QB, we may see FO more willing to splurge on pieces around him to help him out.
We shall soon see.

stingray

Hall of Fame

Yes or No will suffice.
It all depends how the draft goes. If they nail the next two drafts, then definitely.

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
Obrien is 1-3 in the playoffs and averages 12.5 ppg in the playoffs. He's 0-5 against Belichick. There's no possibility we win a bowl until Bob goes or BB and Brady retire. Pats, Chiefs, Colts, and Ravens all look better than the Texans currently and that's just to get to the dance. If he's our offensive coordinator we're playing 4d chess with 2d checker pieces.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Obrien is 1-3 in the playoffs and averages 12.5 ppg in the playoffs. He's 0-5 against Belichick. There's no possibility we win a bowl until Bob goes or BB and Brady retire. Pats, Chiefs, Colts, and Ravens all look better than the Texans currently and that's just to get to the dance. If he's our offensive coordinator we're playing 4d chess with 2d checker pieces.
Force Romo on OB as his new OC and make it understood, he gets complete control of the offense as RC does with the defense. OB would then focus solely on being the Texans HC. Romo could be the next McVay, Pederson, or Reich when he decides to join the coaching ranks.

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
Force Romo on OB as his new OC and make it understood, he gets complete control of the offense as RC does with the defense. OB would then focus solely on being the Texans HC. Romo could be the next McVay, Pederson, or Reich when he decides to join the coaching ranks.
In what zany reality does Romo leave his high paid super cush announcer job to go to working 60+ hour weeks as a coordinator?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
In what zany reality does Romo leave his high paid super cush announcer job to go to working 60+ hour weeks as a coordinator?
When the money is right.....you never know, he might like the challenge of coaching. One thing for certain, if you never ask you'll never know or what could motivate him.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
you forgot Chargers