Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Bowl next year?

Lets keep our fingers crossed that he is not "cooked" by then.

I think he can be great....given a chance.

:coffee:
I think he will be top ten at least and that is enough.
If he can learn to get rid of the ball quickly, he will help his line and the offense should be a dangerous unit.

I'm gonna say yes. I know Houston history is against me for 50+ years. But I'm gonna be an optimist. Because if there is no hope, what's the point?

I'm gonna hope that they add a key OL vet and a rookie this year, along with a top CB, retain the right FA, have the breaks go our way for 19 weeks or more. Texans will come through like the Rockets (huge surprise there) Astros (maybe a bigger surprise) did. Never know when that missing piece (Verlander) will come along. Maybe it will be this year!

and no I ain't drunk yet

Just gave you "Like #10,000".

Reactions: JB
Obrien is 1-3 in the playoffs and averages 12.5 ppg in the playoffs. He's 0-5 against Belichick. There's no possibility we win a bowl until Bob goes or BB and Brady retire. Pats, Chiefs, Colts, and Ravens all look better than the Texans currently and that's just to get to the dance. If he's our offensive coordinator we're playing 4d chess with 2d checker pieces.

I hope we remember that one playoff win was against a 3rd string QB too. We need to see Obrien beat a good team when it counts before we book trips for the Super Bowl.

If I'm not mistaken... The Patriots play the Texans in Houston next year. So, we have that going for us... Which is nice.

Will the worm turn?

If I'm not mistaken... The Patriots play the Texans in Houston next year. So, we have that going for us... Which is nice.

Will the worm turn?

Did you see all the quick routes the Pats were feasting on? That's game planning against a rush. Brady's back foot hit and the ball was gone almost regardless of coverage, just throw in front and let the receiver make the play. Had Gronk going deep playing decoy most of the game.

I hope we remember that one playoff win was against a 3rd string QB too. We need to see Obrien beat a good team when it counts before we book trips for the Super Bowl.

A 3rd string QB taking his 1st ever NFL snaps and hasn't taken one since. He beat THAT QB.

While both of these are very true keep in mind before this year Reid had the same stats in the playoffs and his one win was against us. Doesn't change what your points are but many around here were calling Reid an offensive genius most of this season. Also for his years there Reid has had a good QB in Smith, maybe not Brady or Brees level but he was Romo or Luck level.

While both of these are very true keep in mind before this year Reid had the same stats in the playoffs and his one win was against us. Doesn't change what your points are but many around here were calling Reid an offensive genius most of this season. Also for his years there Reid has had a good QB in Smith, maybe not Brady or Brees level but he was Romo or Luck level.
a special talent will make a genius of a coach. Watson, Hops et al are that for Houston

Difference is, Reid has actually had offenses that look like an NFL offense. OB, not so much.

Reid has done it for decades with all sorts of varying talent levels.

Varying talent levels my ass....Mahomes is the lowest drafted qb Reid's ever had sustained success with. McNabb, Vick & Smith were all guys taken top 5 overall in their respective drafts & were premium talents.

When Foles had to start a few games for Reid?...... 1-5
When Kevin Kolb had to fill in for an extend amount of games for Reid? ......2-3.
Also go ask philly fans how great the team was looking when Reid had to start Koy Detmer, Mike McMahon &/or AJ feeley.....:spit:

about the only modicum of success he's had with a guy outside of top level talent was Jeff Garcia......a guy who had a nice run as a starter before coming to Reid.

I was an Eagles/McNabb fan before we got the texans & Reid is overrated as hell.

Did you see all the quick routes the Pats were feasting on? That's game planning against a rush. Brady's back foot hit and the ball was gone almost regardless of coverage, just throw in front and let the receiver make the play. Had Gronk going deep playing decoy most of the game.

Yup.. I also saw Brady kiss Kraft on the lips after the game, center field in front of the World and no one mentioned it.
It struck me strange but whatever.

Varying talent levels my ass....Mahomes is the lowest drafted qb Reid's ever had sustained success with. McNabb, Vick & Smith were all guys taken top 5 overall in their respective drafts & were premium talents.

Pssst, you may have heard, or should have, there are 11 guys on offense.

And please, Smith was a bust until he got to Reid. Vick was back end of a mediocre career.

And yet since 2004 he has had very little success as a HC in the playoffs. But his offense is very pretty.

Who was talking about him for HC? The point was OC or calling plays.

And yet since 2004 he has had very little success as a HC in the playoffs. But his offense is very pretty.

Reid has his team in the conference championship in his 3rd season and then the next 3 after that, including a Super bowl appearance. OB, starting his 6th season next year, has not only not gotten past the 2nd round, he's only been there once.

And yeah, Reid's offense is pretty because he's actually pretty good at it. Unlike OB through 5 years.

Reid has done it for decades with all sorts of varying talent levels.

And please, Smith was a bust until he got to Reid. Vick was back end of a mediocre career.

So we are just talking about one attribute in a vacuum? Of course Reid is a better play caller and OC than OB.

I hardly think offense is one attribute in a vacuum but sure. And your point is?

Reid is a good play caller, and doesn't win consistently in the playoffs. OB is a bad play caller, and doesn't win consistently in the playoffs.

I'm not sure why it matters or not how pretty - or ugly - the offense if one does not consistently win in the playoffs.

Reid has his team in the conference championship in his 3rd season and then the next 3 after that, including a Super bowl appearance. OB, starting his 6th season next year, has not only not gotten past the 2nd round, he's only been there once.

And yeah, Reid's offense is pretty because he's actually pretty good at it. Unlike OB through 5 years.

And Reid's playoff record is 5-10 in the 14 years since going to that Super Bowl in 2004. But he wins a lot of regular season games and has high-powered offenses.

Oh so now the other 11 guys on the team matter.....sure as hell don't matter when it comes to BoB around here.

Once Smith was healthy & got some stability with coaching in Harbaugh, he immediately posted the best seasons of his career & led the 49ers to the NFC championship game. Went 6-2-1 the next year before getting injured again & eventually losing out to Kaep the SB year.

Vick even after a 2 year layoff was still as talented as any qb that had come out in the last 10 years. If you compare his numbers from his last year in ATL to his 2nd year in philly, there's barely a statistical difference in improvement; That slight improvement could just as easily be explained away to him playing with more talent as it can Reid's coaching.

Furthermore none of that takes away from the fact that both guys were #1 overall picks.

Anything to win a debate around here...Yes...yes 50% is better than 33%....IOW's ..."I'll take the **** sandwich with cheese rather than the plain **** sandwich please"...:dontknowa.
Couldn't give a pink rat's ass about winning an argument on a damn message board. I'm just fascinated with the way people defend a mediocre coach with the fervor they do.

Like aliens, Bigfoot and honest politicians, I'll believe when I see it. Until then, Mr. Skepticism here.

Pfffft. Yeah, right...

Imgur-fcfaf5.png

Assuming you are talking about his time at KC, which is what this conversation is about, you're half right. Reid was in the conference game his third season but other than that he has been one and done until this year. Not sure where he ever took KC to the SB though.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ReidAn0.htm

Edit: Actually looking at it again I don't think he did make the conference game his third season. Looks like he came up one game short.

Last edited:
Assuming you are talking about his time at KC, which is what this conversation is about, you're half right. Reid was in the conference game his third season but other than that he has been one and done until this year. Not sure where he ever took KC to the SB though.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ReidAn0.htm

Edit: Actually looking at it again I don't think he did make the conference game his third season. Looks like he came up one game short.

Im comparing Reid to OB. I'm comparing his 1st HC gig to OBs 1st HC gig. Say what you want about Reid and his time at KC, he at least has a track record of success. 4 conference title games and a SB appearance starting in his 3rd season, through his 6th. OB, not so much. OB will starting his 6th season and has yet to advance past the 2nd round, and only made it that far one time beating a 3rd string rookie taking his first ever NFL snaps, that hasn't taken a single one since.

You want to take an abitrary starting point to make a comparison, that's your prerogative, but it doesn't change the fact that Reid has had much more success than OB.

Hell, from '11-'15 Mike Tomlin is 1-3 in the playoffs. You going to tell me he and OB are the same?

Im comparing Reid to OB. I'm comparing his 1st HC gig to OBs 1st HC gig. Say what you want about Reid and his time at KC, he at least has a track record of success. 4 conference title games and a SB appearance starting in his 3rd season, through his 6th. OB, not so much. OB will starting his 6th season and has yet to advance past the 2nd round, and only made it that far one time beating a 3rd string rookie taking his first ever NFL snaps, that hasn't taken a single one since.

You want to take an abitrary starting point to make a comparison, that's your prerogative, but it doesn't change the fact that Reid has had much more success than OB.

Hell, from '11-'15 Mike Tomlin is 1-3 in the playoffs. You going to tell me he and OB are the same?

First its not an arbitrary starting point, we were discussing Reid in KC so I was comparing his time in KC to BoB time in Houston as far as playoffs go. Fine Reid had success in Philly, great, doesn't change the fact that he hasn't had it here. Kubiak didn't have much success here and went to Denver and won a SB, Belichick didn't do much for the Browns but when he got to NE look out NFL your new king has arrived. I judge coaches based on their last/current gig and based on that win/lose in the playoffs Reid and BoB are the same. Go ask KC if they care how much Reid won in Philly, didn't deliver anything to their city.

You can spin it anyway you want but the numbers don't lie.

First its not an arbitrary starting point, we were discussing Reid in KC so I was comparing his time in KC to BoB time in Houston as far as playoffs go. Fine Reid had success in Philly, great, doesn't change the fact that he hasn't had it here. Kubiak didn't have much success here and went to Denver and won a SB, Belichick didn't do much for the Browns but when he got to NE look out NFL your new king has arrived. I judge coaches based on their last/current gig and based on that win/lose in the playoffs Reid and BoB are the same. Go ask KC if they care how much Reid won in Philly, didn't deliver anything to their city.

And yet...

The only spinning being done is by you. Like I said, I can pick a random set of seasons for damn near anybody to make it look good for OB. The Tomlin example I mentioned for one.

Ooh, let me pick a coach who's had a mediocre stretch somewhere in his career to show you how good we have it with OB. Really? Spin job if there ever was one.

You want to compare a 5 year HC who has accomplished very little to, YES, an arbitrary starting point of any coach to make OB look better to you, then I can't help you there.

Can we find a stretch of 5 years in a row where offensive coaches led bottom 10 offenses and kept their jobs?

The only spinning being done is by you. Like I said, I can pick a random set of seasons for damn near anybody to make it look good for OB. The Tomlin example I mentioned for one.

Ooh, let me pick a coach who's had a mediocre stretch somewhere in his career to show you how good we have it with OB. Really? Spin job if there ever was one.

You want to compare a 5 year HC who has accomplished very little to, YES, an arbitrary starting point of any coach to make OB look better to you, then I can't help you there.

See this is what I'm talking about with people painting anyone that doesn't tow the line with their way of thinking as either a supporter or hater. Let me make this clear I don't care one hoot if Bill O'Brien was fired tomorrow. I don't think I actually like him as a head coach but I'm not going to let that get in the way of facts.

Fact: The whole damn part of the conversation about Reid has been about his time with the Chiefs. Nothing was mentioned about his time with Philly until you wanted to bring it up to fit your narrative. In regard to his time with the Chiefs, you know his current job, it has been no better than O'Brien until this year.

Fact: Discussing a HCs entire time with a franchise is not an arbitrary starting point nor is it picking "random" set of seasons, by the way the phrase you want is cherry picking seasons not random seasons. If I had said "Well in 13, 16 and 17 Reid was one and done." then that would be spinning it or cherry picking seasons. I'm not, I'm looking at his entire time as a HC with the KC chiefs.

Lot of you piss on Steelb for always defending O'Brien and blaming Smith but some of you guys are just as bad with the blame O'Brien for everything. :potkettle:

Why don't you try stepping out of your bubble and looking at the whole picture objectively. I know, looking at it from somebody else's point of view, its almost like having an adult conversation.

KC offensive rank by dvoa under Reid:

2013: 15th
2014: 12th
2015: 6th
2016: 13th
2017: 4th
2018: 1st

Now OBrien:

2014: 21st
2015: 24th
2016: 30th
2017: 24th
2018: 21st

Couldn't give a pink rat's ass about winning an argument on a damn message board. I'm just fascinated with the way people defend a mediocre coach with the fervor they do.

I don't believe I defended OB in any way, shape or form, but feel free to quote the post where I did.

All I was saying is that people love to talk about Reid's offenses when shitting all over OB, but in the end he hasn't seen success in the playoffs in a long, long time. I don't understand why he is seen as such an amazing coach today. Because of something he did 15 years ago with a different team? I don't care if you win 9 games ugly every year or 11-12 games pretty every year. If you are one-and-done in the playoffs, you are one-and-done in the playoffs.

If you interpret that as a defense or endorsement of OB, then I gotta let you own your bias and move on.

See this is what I'm talking about with people painting anyone that doesn't tow the line with their way of thinking as either a supporter or hater. Let me make this clear I don't care one hoot if Bill O'Brien was fired tomorrow. I don't think I actually like him as a head coach but I'm not going to let that get in the way of facts.

Fact: The whole damn part of the conversation about Reid has been about his time with the Chiefs. Nothing was mentioned about his time with Philly until you wanted to bring it up to fit your narrative. In regard to his time with the Chiefs, you know his current job, it has been no better than O'Brien until this year.

Fact: Discussing a HCs entire time with a franchise is not an arbitrary starting point nor is it picking "random" set of seasons, by the way the phrase you want is cherry picking seasons not random seasons. If I had said "Well in 13, 16 and 17 Reid was one and done." then that would be spinning it or cherry picking seasons. I'm not, I'm looking at his entire time as a HC with the KC chiefs.

Lot of you piss on Steelb for always defending O'Brien and blaming Smith but some of you guys are just as bad with the blame O'Brien for everything. :potkettle:

Why don't you try stepping out of your bubble and looking at the whole picture objectively. I know, looking at it from somebody else's point of view, its almost like having an adult conversation.

I don't blame OB for everything. I look at the results of what's he's done for 5 years, because that's all I've got to go on, and judge him based on that. I certainly don't cherry pick stats of successful coaches to make him look like more than he is.

5 years!! If you see something I don't I'd really like to know what it is. Trying to make it like he's comparable to someone like Andy Reid is just someone twisting things to make it fit an argument. You use the word FACT several times in the diatribe I quoted. Funny how you seem to ignore OBs 5 years of facts.

I don't blame OB for everything. I look at the results of what's he's done for 5 years, because that's all I've got to go on, and judge him based on that. I certainly don't cherry pick stats of successful coaches to make him look like more than he is.

5 years!! If you see something I don't I'd really like to know what it is. Trying to make it like he's comparable to someone like Andy Reid is just someone twisting things to make it fit an argument. You use the word FACT several times in the diatribe I quoted. Funny how you seem to ignore OBs 5 years of facts.

See and that's what I'm talking about, I've never said I consider BoB to be a successful coach. I give him credit where I feel he deserves it but I've done the same for presidents that I didn't like either. Also I compare him to Reid because all season people have been talking about how much of a genius Ried is and I was pointing out that since he got to KC he has not had any more success than BoB did.

Go check out the KC message boards from last year, they were calling for his head just like people are here for BoB and even worse because he had Smith as a QB. It's only after this season that he is a KC hero.

Yeah Reid had success with Philly, so what, the NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" group. Ask Philly which they liked more, Reid taking them to the SB or them winning the bowl last year. Willing to bet they'll take winning every time.

Again I don't "see something" other that, for whatever reason, we turned 0-3 to 11-5. I do give him credit for that yes. Also I know that being pissed he is the coach and beating that dead horse is not going to change anything.

Its Cal's world we just pay to watch it. So since I know he is going to be here, yeah I also look at the silver lining and try to see the good with the bad. I find it saves me a lot of stress not being negative all the time about something I watch for entertainment.

And you talk about Reid's time in KC, wasn't he just in the AFC title game? Yeah, wake me up when OB makes one.

Back