Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To add fuel to the fire; a snippet from AJ's latest circulation:

Link
The Texans are 1-6 all time at Nashville and Gary Kubiak has never won there.

Which reminds me, before I get to the reason I'm writing this - injuries - let me ask you all a question.

What is Gary Kubiak's signature win on the road as a head coach?

Most of you will answer Green Bay last season. I'd probably agree, it was a good win in very cold weather, but it was over a team that finished 6-10.

Some of you will answer Carolina in 2007. That's fine too. But it was over a team that finished 7-9 that season.

There aren't many choices left since Kubiak's Texans have only won six games on the road in three years. Your remaining choices are victories over a 2-14 Raiders team in 2006, a 4-12 Raiders team in 2007, an 8-8 Jags team in 2006, and a 4-12 Browns team last season.

So there you have it. Another futility tidbit. In three seasons, Kubiak's Texans have yet to win a road game against a team that finished a season with a winning record.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That was harsh. But unless Kubiac turns this team around, like the articles says, we are looking at between 6 and 8 wins this year.

How long do you have to wear that Jet's avatar, Thorn?

And I'm thinking 5-11 tops.

Wow. These articles are making me depressed big time. This franchise sucks! :headhurts:

So in what week are going to see the "I'm done watching the Texans" threads made by posters who claim to not care anymore but will still post everyday.

I'm guessing week 4 or 5.

So in what week are going to see the "I'm done watching the Texans" threads made by posters who claim to not care anymore but will still post everyday.

I'm guessing week 4 or 5.

We go out and get crushed tomorrow, it might be tomorrow evening. Alot of pessimism here, and alot of it is warranted.

We go out and get crushed tomorrow, it might be tomorrow evening. Alot of pessimism here, and alot of it is warranted.

There is some pessimism but most of the stuff in here is just bluster, hyperbole, and people raging out because of the horrible beating the team took. I can equate most of the posts in here to "RAWRAWRAWR GARY KUBIAK RAWR RAWR RAWR PATTERNZ RAWR".

Just seems to me like most of the people are going to claim they don't care anymore yet will still post, every day, about how much they don't care.

Fitting for this fan base I suppose. Apathy until the team does something good then "WE'RE #1". I give all of that a giant "meh".

Reactions: JB
There is some pessimism but most of the stuff in here is just bluster, hyperbole, and people raging out because of the horrible beating the team took. I can equate most of the posts in here to "RAWRAWRAWR GARY KUBIAK RAWR RAWR RAWR PATTERNZ RAWR".

Just seems to me like most of the people are going to claim they don't care anymore yet will still post, every day, about how much they don't care.

Fitting for this fan base I suppose. Apathy until the team does something good then "WE'RE #1". I give all of that a giant "meh".

I don't think there any posts that I've seen where people claim they no longer care. You might find some that "wished" that they could stop caring. I admit, I'm one of those. It's like being in love with someone that doesn't love you back. You wish that you could throw the switch that would allow you to not care, but it doesn't exist.

So, you're "stucK" with having to remain a fan. Eight years of the same old crap would make anyone a little jaded. And I think we, as fans, have a perfect right to be negative and pessimistic.

They don't even compete in games year after year. They come out to play one week and then look like they are nursing a hangover the next. (coaches and players) To be a good team you have to bring it every week.

They don't even compete in games year after year. They come out to play one week and then look like they are nursing a hangover the next. (coaches and players) To be a good team you have to bring it every week.

Let's hope they "bring it" the rest of this season like they did in Nashville.

So, you're "stucK" with having to remain a fan. Eight years of the same old crap would make anyone a little jaded. And I think we, as fans, have a perfect right to be negative and pessimistic.

It's not like the Oilers never did that. They just won championships.

I started to reply in this thread again, but decided to continue dwelling on the win last week and other positive thoughts.

Y'all enjoy your negativity now ya hear?

:fans:

I started to reply in this thread again, but decided to continue dwelling on the win last week and other positive thoughts.

Wins like the one over the Titans last week need to become the norm rather than the exception before Gary is off the hot seat. Let's hope it becomes a pattern of team behavior to win and win nasty if they have to.

It's not about negativity...It IS about opening one's eyes and seeing things for what they are. This reminds me of the story of "the Emporer's New Clothes" . We are naked, and most people on these boards don't really see it. For me..this team needs more than just a handful of surprise wins...they need to actually turn the corner before I will buy into the Kubiak koolaid anymore. I will always be a Texans fan, but I just don't want to call crap gold. Kubiak is on the hot seat until this team proves otherwise bu actually putting together a string of winning seasons.

It's not about negativity...It IS about opening one's eyes and seeing things for what they are. This reminds me of the story of "the Emporer's New Clothes" . We are naked, and most people on these boards don't really see it. For me..this team needs more than just a handful of surprise wins...they need to actually turn the corner before I will buy into the Kubiak koolaid anymore. I will always be a Texans fan, but I just don't want to call crap gold. Kubiak is on the hot seat until this team proves otherwise bu actually putting together a string of winning seasons.

How is any of this post not negativity?

Other than the first phrase obviously which states "It's not about negativity" and then you just go and bash.

Wow. These articles are making me depressed big time. This franchise sucks! :headhurts:

Do not despair, Grasshopper. Let's look at AJ's quote:

So there you have it. Another futility tidbit. In three seasons, Kubiak's Texans have yet to win a road game against a team that finished a season with a winning record.

That tells us that the Tacks will not having a winning record this season, hopefully helping us, climb a rung or two on the AFC ladder.:)

I cant take this, we dont have an over load of talent but we have a good amount on this football team. Good talent + bad coaching = Texans

And it starts AT THE TOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, I have VERY GOOD reasons to be negative.

I'm there now. I want Kubiak fired. I'm finished following his make-believe turnaround.

Yep. I was willing to let them rebound after the Jets game. So long as we came out of the first quarter of the season with three wins I was happy, no matter how it happened.

But, I'm official on (or am I off?) board.

I want Cowher more than anything. Where's the soap?

I'm with the line of thinking, lets see how this year pans out. No playoffs or no winning record= No Kubiak next year for me.

As much as I love the offensive power house Kubiak has built here, he has made just horrible, awful, embarrassing personnel decisions.

Back to back shameful defensive coordinators, and a dreadful GM who is terrible at drafting, terrible at bringing in quality free agents, and terrible at keeping our own guys happy.

These people were brought here because Kubiak wanted them.

As great as I think he is, you can't surround yourself with turds and tell everybody to smell the roses. Either Kubiak needs to stand up and start firing these incompetents, or he is done.

As much as I love the offensive power house Kubiak has built here, he has made just horrible, awful, embarrassing personnel decisions.

Back to back shameful defensive coordinators, and a dreadful GM who is terrible at drafting, terrible at bringing in quality free agents, and terrible at keeping our own guys happy.

These people were brought here because Kubiak wanted them.

As great as I think he is, you can't surround yourself with turds and tell everybody to smell the roses. Either Kubiak needs to stand up and start firing these incompetents, or he is done.

I very much disagree with you about our GM being terrible at drafting. We have actually been pretty successful and his first rounders have been great, except for Okoye of course but essentially everyone was sold on Amobi. Everything else you say about him is right on.

I am with you that as much as I love Kubiak's offense, his defense is so terrible that I can't take it anymore. For the most part, the best head coaches are defensive minded head coaches. I don't know why that is but it sure seems to be the case in the NFL. You can find a good offensive coordinator to create a good offense, but it is much harder to find a stud DC because most of the great defensive coordinators become head coaches.

I understand the sentiment with firing Kubiak completely . . .

. . . but for the love of God, can we forget about Bill Cowher? :hairpull:

I understand the sentiment with firing Kubiak completely . . .

. . . but for the love of God, can we forget about Bill Cowher? :hairpull:

Yeah, I agree. As the last few years have shown, any coach can come in and win. It's about ideas, not pedigrees. And by the way, it took Cowher how many years to win a SB? Coaches don't get that long anymore. See this thread for evidence.

Yeah, I agree. As the last few years have shown, any coach can come in and win. It's about ideas, not pedigrees. And by the way, it took Cowher how many years to win a SB? Coaches don't get that long anymore. See this thread for evidence.

Yeah Pittsburgh has the most patient loyal owner in the league. If he was with any other franchise and went that long before winning the Super Bowl he would of been canned.

I very much disagree with you about our GM being terrible at drafting. We have actually been pretty successful and his first rounders have been great, except for Okoye of course but essentially everyone was sold on Amobi. Everything else you say about him is right on.

I am with you that as much as I love Kubiak's offense, his defense is so terrible that I can't take it anymore. For the most part, the best head coaches are defensive minded head coaches. I don't know why that is but it sure seems to be the case in the NFL. You can find a good offensive coordinator to create a good offense, but it is much harder to find a stud DC because most of the great defensive coordinators become head coaches.

I don't see it.

As bad as Asserly was, he brought in more Pro bowlers than Smith has NFL caliber starters.

Yeah Pittsburgh has the most patient loyal owner in the league. If he was with any other franchise and went that long before winning the Super Bowl he would of been canned.

Ridiculous!!!

Wrong. Jeff Fisher who is considered one of the best coaches in the NFL didnt even break .500 until his 6th year.

Cowher is a great coach and compares favorable to any coach available. In 15 years coaching Pittsburg he won his division 8 times, got 2nd twice, finished .500 or above 12 times, went to the playoffs 10 times, 4 AFC Championship Games and 2 Superbowls winning one of them. He won a total of 149 games and lost only 90 for a .623 winning %. Thats better than Fisher (.557) or Shottenheimer (.613).

If we arent going to bring in a proven winner we should just keep Kubiack.

I know there is very little chance of him coming here but please show me a better candidate.

I consider this game to be Kubiak and the entire coaching staff's resignation letter.

Do we continue the rest of the season with a lame duck staff or do we concede the season and going ahead and hire a real coaching staff so they will have time to tune up for next season?

Uhh, first of all, I said coaches don't get that long "anymore", so that sort of implies that current coaches that get hired don't get that kind of time to win (as opposed to coaches that have already been around). But that's OK. Since you labeled me "wrong", and since you used Fisher's 6-year mark as his .500 mark (ignoring the extenuating circumstances along the way), go ahead and finish pointing out how wrong I am by counting how many current NFL head coaches have more than 6 years with their current organization.

Let me know when you have an answer that shows I'm wrong that coaches don't get that long anymore.

Naa let the year play out

Look what clevend did fired there beloved coach the players loved him and got mangenie now its down in teh dumps

Same with San deigo and Redskins i really think there former coaches are better then the ones they got now

From all that i have heard and read Bob McNair is a stand up guy, class act. He is not impulsive, Knee jerk reaction type of owner like Snyder and Jones. I bet the Texans would have to win only like 4 maybe 5 games for Kubiak to be fired. If I was a betting man I would say that the Texans are going to win just enough games to keep Kubiak employed. I can actually see this team getting a little better and gelling together to finish 9-7 and just miss the playoffs. Which will suck because McNair will give him a extension and we as loyal Texans fans will continue to be stuck in mediocrity.

Heres a scenario to think about. Kubiak gets fired. Mike shannahan is hired to replace Wade Philips in Dallas and Shannahan brings in Kubiak to be his offensive cordinator. The Cowboys which we will play next season in Houston come into Relaint and beat us down. I think that would be the worst loss yet.

Uhh, first of all, I said coaches don't get that long "anymore", so that sort of implies that current coaches that get hired don't get that kind of time to win (as opposed to coaches that have already been around). But that's OK. Since you labeled me "wrong", and since you used Fisher's 6-year mark as his .500 mark (ignoring the extenuating circumstances along the way), go ahead and finish pointing out how wrong I am by counting how many current NFL head coaches have more than 6 years with their current organization.

Let me know when you have an answer that shows I'm wrong that coaches don't get that long anymore.

Ok I stand corrected. Just a little wound up after the loss. Sorry didnt mean it as a personal attack.

There is nothing to gain by firing Kubiak at the moment. Sure 1-2 isn't how we would have wanted to be after 3, and it hasn't been anything like pretty. But getting rid of a HC after 3 weeks, in our situation just does not make sense.

He stays. Its an end of the season decision.

There is nothing to gain by firing Kubiak at the moment. Sure 1-2 isn't how we would have wanted to be after 3, and it hasn't been anything like pretty. But getting rid of a HC after 3 weeks, in our situation just does not make sense.

He stays. Its an end of the season decision.

I dissagree. Once we are eliminated from the playoffs there is no reason to continue this sham.

Okay, how bout this? Since there doesn't seem to be any leading candidates out there that makes one (well, me anyway) perk up and say - "wow, that'd be a definite improvement over what we currently have and can see a quick 180..."

Our offense seems to be running well - continues to be the defense issues... why not look for a better "proven" defensive coordinator as assistant head coach - or is that just not possible?

Sure, why not? Not saying to nix what we have (what do we have) early in the season... but what harm would there be in some "DC window shopping"? Perhaps someone wonder about their position, perhaps light a fire, some players start seeing the defensive coaches as lame ducks?

I said earlier in this thread that if I was Bob McNair after the Jets game I would be thinking to myself that Gary needs 10 wins to keep his job. That is still the number but I would like to throw out another name that I don't believe has been mentioned in this thread. Leslie Frazier, DC Minnesota.

He has been a pretty hot candidate the last couple of years and he just missed out on getting one of the jobs last year. I think it is almost a guarantee that he will be a head coach for someone next year. This is a guy that, while he can't bring his defensive line with him, knows what it takes to win in the trenches on defense. I would trust him to drop the dead weight on our line and start finding some real players to put around Mario. He doesn't need to shake up the offense a great deal either. As a side note, he is likely to be choice numero uno for at least a couple teams so the fact that his son is a WR at Rice might help make us more attractive.

I'm not sure if his name has been mentioned in here and I know a lot of us are not keen on giving an unexperienced coach a shot but what do you guys think about the Houston coach - is it Sumlin? I am a Texas Tech fan but I saw him prepare his team to beat OSU and Tech - not bad. Is he the real deal or is it too early to tell?

I'm not sure if his name has been mentioned in here and I know a lot of us are not keen on giving an unexperienced coach a shot but what do you guys think about the Houston coach - is it Sumlin? I am a Texas Tech fan but I saw him prepare his team to beat OSU and Tech - not bad. Is he the real deal or is it too early to tell?

IMO, what we witnessed Saturday night was two teams that do the same thing. And one team did it better on that specific night.

The spread offense is a joke, in terms of making your entire team a true contender. You'll beat up on teams that are annually bad and have no offense themselves, but you'll lose to teams that have legit offenses. Because a team that runs a spread offense seems to always have a leaky defense, due to getting 3 minutes of rest and being trotted back onto the field without enough rest between series.

Look how many times that the only way Tech wins is if they get the ball with 2-3 minutes remaining in the game. LOL.

I am a Tech fan, and the spread is a double-edged sword IMO. It cuts the other team's defense...but it cuts our own defense at the same time.

Sumlin and Leach are good at running the spread. Does that translate to them running an NFL team? Probably not. Just my opinion, though.

I was waiting for this. No. Just no.He's a good college coach, but that doesn't mean he'll translate.

Yeah I figured that - but i just wanted to gauge the H-town feel for him see if there was something to him. I hope he can run the table for the Cougars - at least most of you guys could find happiness with them. I want a proven NFL guy - not a college coach, hometown boy, or a relative of someone in the organization.

The only problem I have with firing Kubiak is.....looking over this staff I get sick of the idea of looking at an interim replacement in staff. Of the people here I think only Ray Rhodes inspires any sort of confidence. I don't think his health will allow him to do it though.

We all knew Kubiak's job was on the line when he promoted Bush, guess Gary didn't care.

IMO if we don't bring in a coach who doesn't have any sort of winning pedigree we might as well keep Kubiak.

Bring on Marty Ball!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back