Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK & REPLACEMENT thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before today I had not even considered dumping Kubiak, but after this pathetic performance I am ready to sign the Hire Bill Cowher petition letter. I would not be this upset if we had lost a close game, but we just got dominated in every facet of the game. I am even more upset that I watched the whole debacle. I can only think of a handful of players to keep for next season and Schaub, Okoye and Chris Meyers are not on that list.

That stung, I am still in a daze.

As others have mentioned I too was watching him on the sidelines while the kids were playing, and was waiting for him to break out orange slices and hand out ribbons.

Kubiak's BS press conference put me over the edge. I could not believe what I heard. It is time for him to gracefully step aside, take some time off with the family and get his head straight - he simply is not ready to be a head coach, in this town, at this time. Well, maybe he could just take the week off leading up to a game with an aggressive defense, but that would leave us with Kubiak lite.

The issue is, where is the check on Kubiak? Is it Smith? Is it McNair? Because right now, Kubiak needs to coach the offense and be accountable for something other than preparing the team to be soft.

Chris Meyers was man handled by Jenkins all day. Schaub looked like $hit. Slaton was horrible. The defense continued missing tackles as usual. The game was a complete embarrassment to the city of Houston. We will have to hear about how great Sanchez is all week only to watch another team make him look like a scared rookie and destroy him. Sorry Kubiak but you had that deer in the headlights look today.

That stung, I am still in a daze.

As others have mentioned I too was watching him on the sidelines while the kids were playing, and was waiting for him to break out orange slices and hand out ribbons.

Kubiak's BS press conference put me over the edge. I could not believe what I heard. It is time for him to gracefully step aside, take some time off with the family and get his head straight - he simply is not ready to be a head coach, in this town, at this time. Well, maybe he could just take the week off leading up to a game with an aggressive defense, but that would leave us with Kubiak lite.

The issue is, where is the check on Kubiak? Is it Smith? Is it McNair? Because right now, Kubiak needs to coach the offense and be accountable for something other than preparing the team to be soft.

This is Kubiaks 4th year with no mention of a contract extension leading up to this season. Maybe he is hoping to get fired so he can coach in Dallas next year with Pappa Shanny.

This is kind of what terrifies me as a fan, actually. OK, Kubiak is responsible, so fire him. Who's responsible for Kubiak? Rick Smith? I don't think so. Fire him anyway. OK, at the end of all that, you still haven't solved the problem, because Kubiak is not the one coaching the players that are showing the worst results. I think we'd all agree that Kubiak is/has coached Schaub and the offensive skill position players. Today notwithstanding, they've done better than anyone else on the team.

We don't control the LOS at all. Well, Alex Gibbs has had success everywhere but here. Kollar, Franklin, Bush, Smith, Rhodes .... they all coach defense. Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen? I don't care if we lose Kubiak, but I am worried that it won't solve anything. And that is a scary thought.

Having to live in San Antonio due to work, I can say that you guys aren't alone in pissed off fans at their coach. Im not a Cowboys fan, but that is pretty much all that is talked around here and they ride Wade's ass hard all day everyday about how he coaches and how he treats his players. I just seem to see a correlation between both Kube's and his ho hum attitude and the way Wade does the same thing.

I for one wouldnt mind Shanhan Its the same phlosphys and the transition would be easy get the Guy who taught our coach

Or hey maybe BIll cower will come in and at least help us

if a wk1 rookie head coach came in and owned us i dont see the big deal

If a gear is not woking lets fix it with another gear iam all for changing HC after wk 1

This has got to be one of the weakest threads I've ever seen in here.

Over half the posters in here have sworn by Kubiak as the next Fisher or Bill Cowher ever since I've been in this forum. Hell, I've been cursed at and insulted a number of times for talking about how Kubiak isn't about **** as a HC and how he was nothing but average, and after one game all of the Kubiak worshipers want him canned now? Boy how the worms can turn.

Sorry guys, this looks weak coming from a lot of you that have sworn Kubes was the man for so long now and gone on and on about how how him and Smith were such a great tandem of a HC and GM and how they were doing everything right by "building this team slowly."

noway with shanahan .. first bad game, it would be the same ole threads fire Mike.. we need a different system etc etc

Over half the posters in here have sworn by Kubiak as the next Fisher or Bill Cowher ever since I've been in this forum. Hell, I've been cursed at and insulted a number of times for talking about how Kubiak isn't about **** as a HC and how he was nothing but average, and after one game all of the Kubiak worshipers want him canned now? Boy how the worms can turn.

Sorry guys, this looks weak coming from a lot of you that have sworn Kubes was the man for so long now and gone on and on about how how him and Smith were such a great tandem of a HC and GM and how they were doing everything right by "building this team slowly."

Welcome to my ignore list. It's been a long time coming.

I ROL my way through this thread. No one really knows what to do with this team or what would work. I mean no one. Everyone is to blame for the loss today except the cheerleaders, waterboy, and Toro. This team is a mess. A real mess from top to bottom. The next thing we'll be hearing is oh, don't worry the secondary will play better when Reevs comes back or the passing game will be better once Walter is back. I'm tired of it all tired of the lame reasons this team gives after every single loss. Shanny is too young to be calling the plays. The team needs a spark in the ass the thing is the don't have that attitude guy with mean streak as in a Ray Lewis or a Peppers. I don't know is keeping or letting Gary go is what should be done none of us are. They play lack luster and we don't know why that is but I'm about ready for Bob to fire everyone in that FO having to do with team operations.

Welcome to my ignore list. It's been a long time coming.

The classic "welcome to my ignore list" post. Lol!

Real impressive Herv.

Sorry, but it's pretty ridiculous to turn on your boy after one game, when just a few weeks ago Kubes was thought of as this great coach and a god around here that we were so lucky to have by so many people.

The irony in this after one game is simply crazy. So much confidence has been put into Kubiak by so many posters that I've seen in here that wouldn't even hear it if you questioned this guy as a HC, and now after one game some of you want him canned?? Amazing.

This is kind of what terrifies me as a fan, actually. OK, Kubiak is responsible, so fire him. Who's responsible for Kubiak? Rick Smith? I don't think so. Fire him anyway. OK, at the end of all that, you still haven't solved the problem, because Kubiak is not the one coaching the players that are showing the worst results. I think we'd all agree that Kubiak is/has coached Schaub and the offensive skill position players. Today notwithstanding, they've done better than anyone else on the team.

We don't control the LOS at all. Well, Alex Gibbs has had success everywhere but here. Kollar, Franklin, Bush, Smith, Rhodes .... they all coach defense. Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen? I don't care if we lose Kubiak, but I am worried that it won't solve anything. And that is a scary thought.

It is frustrating. Kubiak is a good offensive coach, history is on his side, and we have seen him develop the offense since taking over in 2006. I understand he is not a rah-rah guy, and teams do win without that BS. But his philosophy and demeanor are so entrenched I am not sure who has the balls on the staff to challenge him or the role description to make a change or put him on notice.

I have always been a firm believer in running your stuff, but aggressive defenses have shown us that they can take away our whole game plan. What it boils down to is, that Kubiak is a horrible when it comes to adjustments and clock management. We need a head coach, not a developer of coordinators.

It is frustrating. Kubiak is a good offensive coach, history is on his side, and we have seen him develop the offense since taking over in 2006. I understand he is not a rah-rah guy, and teams do win without that BS. But his philosophy and demeanor are so entrenched I am not sure who has the balls on the staff to challenge him or the role description to make a change or put him on notice.

I have always been a firm believer in running your stuff, but aggressive defenses have shown us that they can take away our whole game plan. What it boils down to is, that Kubiak is a horrible when it comes to adjustments and clock management. We need a head coach, not a developer of coordinators.

I don't even think he's a developer of coordinators. I just think he's an OC who's in over his head. So that's reason enough to fire him. But the team's problems run deeper than that. Firing Kubiak only fixes one small part of the equation - it opens a spot for someone else. Then that someone else comes in and has to do something with the players. And I'm not convinced that 7 of our 11 defensive starters should be out there as starters. And I'm also not convinced that 3 of our 5 starting OL should be out there as starters. Hell, I'm not convinced that Schaub is ever going to be the guy that reads a pre-snap blitz and makes the necessary adjustment at the line.

I for one have been a major Kubiak supporter. But this game definitely has me questioning him. The thing that pisses me off the most is why the hell doesn't he let his QB audible? Is he that freakin arrogant that he thinks every play he/Shanny calls is the right play?!? If his QB is too stupid to read a freakin defense, shouldn't he find a new QB? If this is the case, I do want Kubiak gone. Can anyone name another successful coach that refused to allow his QB to audible out of the play?

I for one have been a major Kubiak supporter. But this game definitely has me questioning him. The thing that pisses me off the most is why the hell doesn't he let his QB audible? Is he that freakin arrogant that he thinks every play he/Shanny calls is the right play?!? If his QB is too stupid to read a freakin defense, shouldn't he find a new QB? If this is the case, I do want Kubiak gone. Can anyone name another successful coach that refused to allow his QB to audible out of the play?

Like that one time when Schaub wasn't getting the play in from the headset or from the sideline, and he stood there begging to get the play from someone.

Did it ever occur to him to just get in the F%$@#@! huddle, like a QB should, and call a play that he thought might work?

Nooooooo....that would have been mutiny, I suppose.

I mean, seriously: This looked like we just threw a team together in the past two months and faced the Patriots or something.

Did the team spend this week high on LSD? Did they think they could really pull off a win with the kind of strategy that they employed all day today?

They acted like everything was supposed to just start working on its own, by default, and at some point things would just magically start clicking. It had all the marks of players not being mentally ready. And that has been my singular gripe against Kubiak: Lack of intensity/focus/preparedness on game day.

This team needs the terminator to come into their team meeting this week and raise hell period.

how do you get through life being this stupid? How did you even manage to navigate to this website?

I just dont see how it is feasible for someone of such low intellect to find us here... finding the Texans website I can understand..if you bang your face against the keyboard long enough I imagine there is a slim chance you might find the homepage.. but Texanstalk? and into the forum no less? color me baffled.

YOu had to have had help getting here...which means that someone who ISNT dumb enough to want to fire our coach in week one helped you to find this website...and whoever it is that did that, I just want to say shame on you. Im all for equal rights and the proper treatment of the intellectually challenged...but this is a place to have fun..all this arm flailing and running around in circles screaming is an unnecessary distraction.

Go to hell Grid. You must have been the loser calling in to the post game show saying Kubiak was a good guy. LAME!!!

Like that one time when Schaub wasn't getting the play in from the headset or from the sideline, and he stood there begging to get the play from someone.

Did it ever occur to him to just get in the F%$@#@! huddle, like a QB should, and call a play that he thought might work?

Nooooooo....that would have been mutiny, I suppose.

I mean, seriously: This looked like we just threw a team together in the past two months and faced the Patriots or something.

Did the team spend this week high on LSD? Did they think they could really pull off a win with the kind of strategy that they employed all day today?

They acted like everything was supposed to just start working on its own, by default, and at some point things would just magically start clicking. It had all the marks of players not being mentally ready. And that has been my singular gripe against Kubiak: Lack of intensity/focus/preparedness on game day.

And that is what I am trying to figure out. Does Kubiak not want his QBs to have more control because he thinks they are too stupid to handle the responsibility? Or is Kubiak so arrogant that he believes whatever he calls will work, and there is no need for the QB to change the play? Either way, I don't like it. Even if we make the playoffs, this is something that has to be addressed.

i'm with this guy. kind of.

i mean the first part i am totally with. this is a weak thread and a lot of people are jumping ship early. too early in my mind. a lot of people were even starting to get upset at preseason games. you know those games that happen BEFORE anything really MATTERS. Kubes, in my mind, was hired right before owners started robbing the cradle so a lot of us see the Bucs the Broncos and the Ravens with these young guys who are jumping up and celebrating with their players and say "we want that" when, in reality, we have an expierianced guy who likes to stick to his guns rather than gamble. i'd take that over a new younger guy who we will have to give another 3 years to build HIS team up and find HIS franchise QB (imagine if Denver got Orton for Cutler what we will get for Schaub... Schaun Hill?).

hell you guys live in Texas and the guy who lives up in the first state to legalize gay marriage without a supreme court ruling is the one telling you that being conservative works. what the hell is this world coming to?

i'm with this guy. kind of.

i mean the first part i am totally with. this is a weak thread and a lot of people are jumping ship early. too early in my mind. a lot of people were even starting to get upset at preseason games. you know those games that happen BEFORE anything really MATTERS. Kubes, in my mind, was hired right before owners started robbing the cradle so a lot of us see the Bucs the Broncos and the Ravens with these young guys who are jumping up and celebrating with their players and say "we want that" when, in reality, we have an expierianced guy who likes to stick to his guns rather than gamble. i'd take that over a new younger guy who we will have to give another 3 years to build HIS team up and find HIS franchise QB (imagine if Denver got Orton for Cutler what we will get for Schaub... Schaun Hill?).

hell you guys live in Texas and the guy who lives up in the first state to legalize gay marriage without a supreme court ruling is the one telling you that being conservative works. what the hell is this world coming to?

Well the thing is that for the last two years Kubiak has been thought of as a "GOD" around here. I've heard argument after argument how he's going to be this wonderful coach and how putting him on the hot seat after two years of 8-8 was down right ridiculous and then the statements of how last year's 8-8 was so much better than the 8-8 from the year before which was the more recent one Kubes worshipers threw out. People have tried to make all of these ridiculous comparisons of how it was like when Fisher started out and how he didn't have great success and how Kubes was going the similar route with building the team slowly and yada yada yada, all because he was the new Texans coach at the time. I just find it funny how so many people that have worshiped the guy and just knew he would have a winning season this year now want him axed over the first game of the season. So many guys that acted like he was this QB guru and this great coach in the making, and now after the first game, he's all of a sudden "a can" of a HC. :butterfly:

Had the Texans won this game, I promise you that this board would be so freaking different right now and Kubes would be getting cheers and hoorays and the pink soap threads would be a complete after thought.

I wonder what the hell happened to that genius Offensive Coordinator that hung 49 points on a solid Eagles defense back in 2005 on the way to the playoffs in Denver.

I thought that he ended up over here in 2006.

Now it's starting to look like Denver just fired him this past offseason.

After the Jets took the 2nd half kickoff and drove the field for a TD to make it 17-zip, I looked to the sidelines to see what Kubiak was doing. I thought he might be chewing out some players, maybe some coaches. Something.

Nope. He was standing about 20 yards from anyone else, reading what looked to be a Denny's laminated menu. So with nothing worth seeing on the field, I decided to watch Kubiak for the rest of the game. Maybe he was looking for answers. Or maybe he was deciding between the patty melt or possibly fool everyone and go for the Lumberjack Slam. Only his waitress knows for sure.

Did Kubiak ever rejoin the team, coach up some players, get in the face of some assistants? Ever? Nope. He just starred down that menu for the rest of the half, other than checking on an injured Shaun Cody late in the game. In a very disinterested fashion. I've never seen a coach take a beating like the Texans took, and seem so unemotional and detached.

Gary Kubiak. Dead Coach Walking. And it's only Week One. Try the migas, Gary. Extra jalapenos. You need some fire in your belly.

This reminds me of Dom Capers note pad and non of us could figure out what the heck he was always writing down.

Maybe Kubes is reading up on Yahoo's top 10 donts during a job interview.

I looked into Kubiak's eyes today (HD is cool that way), and I saw the ghost of Jack Pardee. His headset isn't crooked, yet, but just give it time. More games like this and it'll be sideways, his hair tussled, and he'll be ordering his custom Grand Slam breakfast from his Denny's menu.

Larry Dierker had the same look in his last season with the Astros, except it was a sunflower seed stuck to his lip instead of a headset. Rudy T. had the look in the end, as well, and Dom had it, too. These are leaders who no longer have the team.

Kubiak looked baffled today, and that is the troublesome part. Do I want him fired? I don't care to be honest. I'm comfortably numb and will remain in the deep freeze about giving a crap until they finally do something to be proud of.

And that is what I am trying to figure out. Does Kubiak not want his QBs to have more control because he thinks they are too stupid to handle the responsibility? Or is Kubiak so arrogant that he believes whatever he calls will work, and there is no need for the QB to change the play? Either way, I don't like it. Even if we make the playoffs, this is something that has to be addressed.

To me, this offense lives and dies by the involvement of AJ and OD.

In the games where we don't get the ball in their hands, we stink it up all day long. When those two guys are catching and running, defenses are trying to shut them down and it opens it up for Slaton, Walter, Anderson, A Davis. Which then opens it back up for AJ and OD.

Today, AJ and OD were non-factors from the beginning. So it completely stifles the playcalling, IMO.

We just become very predictable if those two guys get blanketed early on and Schaub fails to connect with them right away. Those times early last year when Schaub couldn't connect with AJ early on, AJ was visibly pissed and would just walk around in a zombie-like trance as if he could care what happened from there on out.

Sometimes I think AJ might be the most cerebral guy on our team. You can tell the state of this team by his on-field and sideline demeanor. IMO, he knows when things are getting goofy. And instead of throwing the team under the bus by using words in the media, he gives all of us some insight by his body language out there.

After the Jets took the 2nd half kickoff and drove the field for a TD to make it 17-zip, I looked to the sidelines to see what Kubiak was doing. I thought he might be chewing out some players, maybe some coaches. Something.

Nope. He was standing about 20 yards from anyone else, reading what looked to be a Denny's laminated menu. So with nothing worth seeing on the field, I decided to watch Kubiak for the rest of the game. Maybe he was looking for answers. Or maybe he was deciding between the patty melt or possibly fool everyone and go for the Lumberjack Slam. Only his waitress knows for sure.

Did Kubiak ever rejoin the team, coach up some players, get in the face of some assistants? Ever? Nope. He just starred down that menu for the rest of the half, other than checking on an injured Shaun Cody late in the game. In a very disinterested fashion. I've never seen a coach take a beating like the Texans took, and seem so unemotional and detached.

Gary Kubiak. Dead Coach Walking. And it's only Week One. Try the migas, Gary. Extra jalapenos. You need some fire in your belly.

Wait were we watching the same game? I could of sworn they only should Kubiak like 4-5 times the whole game and Brian Bchottenheimer/Rex Ryan the whole game.

The one time we tried to use that quick pass to AJ, he gets tripped up immediately. Of course, we should have ran the version of that pass to AJ where he's already running a little slant right at the snap...instead of him standing still out there like he was today.

And that's what I am most upset with: Even our standard playcalls just seemed like they were either called at the wrong time, or were not executed well, or were already sniffed out by the Jets before they happened.

It felt like the Jets knew everything ahead of time.

It felt like they actually did their homework. And us? Well, we grabbed a friend 10 minutes before class and peeked at some notes before the quiz.

I looked into Kubiak's eyes today (HD is cool that way), and I saw the ghost of Jack Pardee. His headset isn't crooked, yet, but just give it time. More games like this and it'll be sideways, his hair tussled, and he'll be ordering his custom Grand Slam breakfast from his Denny's menu.

Larry Dierker had the same look in his last season with the Astros, except it was a sunflower seed stuck to his lip instead of a headset. Rudy T. had the look in the end, as well, and Dom had it, too. These are leaders who no longer have the team.

Kubiak looked baffled today, and that is the troublesome part. Do I want him fired? I don't care to be honest. I'm comfortably numb and will remain in the deep freeze about giving a crap until they finally do something to be proud of.

Agreed, although I've thought this about Kubiak since year one. He's never struck me as a guy that would be a real good HC. He's always seemed conservative to me, and never seemed to have that fire that I see in other coaches. I hated it in his first year how he took that entire season to just "evaluate" instead of thinking he could go in there and try to have a winning season like Peyton and Mangini did in their first seasons when they took over awful teams. Kubes had the towel thrown in that year before the season ever began and I disliked him from that moment. Then it was far to many times in his first season where he would run the ball on 3rd and long without even trying to get first downs when we had absolutely no running game. It's been like this entire time he's known that he had a really long leash, so he planned on using every inch of it instead of demanding to win games from his players from the moment he got there by any means necessary.

This game was just no surprise to me. Not one bit. I've grown numb to it, and it's to the point that I just don't let it bother me anymore. What's bothered me is how so many fans bought into this guy the same way they did with Capers just because he was the HC of the Texans and wanted to praise every little baby step he took instead of demanding BIG STEPS after that debacle that Capers turned this team into. Once Kubes was hired the short leash should have been there from the beginning since he was unproven.

These are leaders who no longer have the team.
It looked like he didn't even want the team. If Kubiak called a press conference tomorrow and resigned, I wouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't.

There is no leadership on this team. In this organization. Bob McNair should hire a real NFL man to run this ship from stem to stern. And that guy should fire everyone, from the 50 VPs to the ticket takers. Bring in an entirely new organization that builds a real tradition. Not one that celebrates 1st downs when you're down 17 in the 4th quarter of your season opener.

Wait were we watching the same game? I could of sworn they only should Kubiak like 4-5 times the whole game and Brian Bchottenheimer/Rex Ryan the whole game.
I didn't have the opportunity to watch the game on TV. I paid $$$ to watch this debacle from Gridiron, TX (Population: Angry).

It looked like he didn't even want the team. If Kubiak called a press conference tomorrow and resigned, I wouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't.

There is no leadership on this team. In this organization. Bob McNair should hire a real NFL man to run this ship from stem to stern. And that guy should fire everyone, from the 50 VPs to the ticket takers. Bring in an entirely new organization that builds a real tradition. Not one that celebrates 1st downs when you're down 17 in the 4th quarter of your season opener.

I watched the Jets players giggling and giving Rex Ryan a Gatorade bath. Rex was laughing about it, and seemed to genuinely enjoy it.

You don't see any of that sort of basic fellowship rituals between Kubiak and his team.

Of course, it's all "good" when you're winning. If the Jets get their rears kicked the next four weeks...there will be less celebrating I would suppose.

But still, there seems to be be a bit of a contrast between these two teams.

One cares, and the other doesn't.

I hear a lot of calls for Cowher, just not sure this would be his ideal destination. With his family in N.C. he really might just want to wait it out until John Fox's tenure is gone. Still a remote possibility I guess.

No way JJ comes out of retirement.

I name I haven't heard but I think should be on any possible list of replacements: Marty Schottenheimer.

Marty Ball isn't exciting but he wins and he knows how to build a team. Just putting it out there.

I hear a lot of calls for Cowher, just not sure this would be his ideal destination. With his family in N.C. he really might just want to wait it out until John Fox's tenure is gone. Still a remote possibility I guess.

I name I haven't heard but I think should be on any possible list of replacements: Marty Schottenheimer.

Marty Ball isn't exciting but he wins and he knows how to build a team. Just putting it out there.

I'd take up a collection to get Marty here. I'd throw the first thousand dollars in myself. We've had two coaches and neither one of them had any history building a successful NFL franchise. Dom had a brief run with the Panthers that ended in his team falling apart (go figure) and Gary has proven that he can build an offense that looks kind of like the one he worked with in Denver when Mike Shanahan was picking the players and likely doing most of Gary's job for him or "with him" if that makes things run smoother.

Why won't McNair hire somebody whose actually done it? Why won't he spend the money to bring in a coach and a GM who know exactly how to win? It's not like they don't exist and when you're winning that's like a license to print money. Sure they might be expensive but what's more expensive? Paying up front to get what you want one time or going through regime after regime trying to find that one diamond in a goats ass? Rebuilding is going to get old when the seats are empty.

Every fan base in the NFL that doesn't already have a great coach is calling for Cowher. Cowher isn't going to come to Houston. He'll go where is closest to his family most likely.

The guy I would like to make a strong run at is MIKE HOLMGREN. He went to two SB's with GB and then went to another in Seattle and has put out a lot of competitive teams. Holmgren is the guy I would like the Texans to make a strong push for.

I hear a lot of calls for Cowher, just not sure this would be his ideal destination.
When fans ask for Cowher, they're asking for intensity. For presence. For toughness. For leadership. It doesn't matter if it's Cowher, or someone who has never been an NFL head coach. What they want is a change in attitude.

Well, that and some wins.

Even if Cowher could come here, who does he get for coordinators?

They're all with the Steelers. They're one big family there, enjoying the fruits of their labor.

I am afraid that grabbing Cowher/JJ/Marty would be a bad idea. They'd have to assemble a coaching staff around them. And how compatible would our current roster be with what the new coach desires to put on the field?

It would be exciting at first. Then it would wear off, and the "Fire" threads would pop up more quickly than ever.

When was the last time a Super Bowl team had a head coach who specializes in offense? It seems they all came from a background in defense.

When fans ask for Cowher, they're asking for intensity. For presence. For toughness. For leadership. It doesn't matter if it's Cowher, or someone who has never been an NFL head coach. What they want is a change in attitude.

Defensive coordinators are typically very vocal, and very aggressive by the nature of their job: Teach their guys to practically KILL the QB or RB or WR.

I think there is something to the idea that a good HC is someone who knows how to inspire the WHOLE team to have that killer instinct.

I know I have joked about getting Mike Leach. But he's an offensive-minded head coach who has that killer instinct: Always going for the opponent's jugular. Going for it all. Never letting up. Never.

Kubiak acts like his scripted plays should work. We should score 3 TDs, and that's the end of the game. Somehow, it's enough. It should be enough. 3 TDs is a good day's work, and by golly we're going to win because we are efficient and persistent and cute.

They're all with the Steelers. They're one big family there, enjoying the fruits of their labor.

I am afraid that grabbing Cowher/JJ/Marty would be a bad idea. They'd have to assemble a coaching staff around them. And how compatible would our current roster be with what the new coach desires to put on the field?

It would be exciting at first. Then it would wear off, and the "Fire" threads would pop up more quickly than ever.

When was the last time a Super Bowl team had a head coach who specializes in offense? It seems they all came from a background in defense.

Well Wisenhunt was the Steelers OC and he just went to the SB and was a hair away form winning it. That's close enough for me, but you're right it hasn't been many in recent memory.

Holmgren was also an offensive coach that went to the SB and again lost to the Steelers though, but Holmgren's been a fantastic coach.

Well Wisenhunt was the Steelers OC and he just went to the SB and was a hair away form winning it. That's close enough for me, but you're right it hasn't been many in recent memory.

Holmgren was also an offensive coach that went to the SB and again lost to the Steelers though, but Holmgren's been a fantastic coach.

Don't forget, he went one time and won with the packers

Maybe I just have it in my head that either of those three would look around the league and see who is up and coming from winning teams or has some sort of background with. Hell even get the strange idea of putting coordinators on their team that have a track record of success.

I guess what I am dancing around to say is I don't think any of those listed would have a problem hiring someone out of their comfort zone, which is something Gary is (IMO) unable to do.

Last guy that has a offensive background to take a team to the SB are Ken Wisenhunt, Mike Holmgreen, Andy Reid, and in 2003 Bill Callahan and Jon Gruden.

[/B]

Don't forget, he went one time and won with the packers

Yeah, he went to 3 SB's all together. Going with two teams though is what impresses me with any coach. Plus, both of those teams he went with (The Packers and the Hawks) were built by Holmgren. He's the #1 guy that I would want to be the Texans next HC. Other than Cowher he's the most proven winner out there and that could also be argued that he's been even better than Cowher actually.

I'm not inclined to disagree with you. Either the stadium and Astrodome is built on ancient Indian burial grounds (explaining decades of futility by 3 teams, 2 of which found some success after leaving the area), or, this is the growing pains of a newbie head owner and it could take awhile for him to be NFL savvy.

And that first down chant can get downright embarrassing at times. I remember them doing it during 2-14, and it was like the place was on autopilot with the ReliantWorld presentation of the gameday experience. The celebration creation and good time machine continues no matter what is going on with the game. Like Vinny has said: a marketing company with a football division.

It's depressing to see them start off a season with a game like this.

I watched the Jets players giggling and giving Rex Ryan a Gatorade bath. Rex was laughing about it, and seemed to genuinely enjoy it.

You don't see any of that sort of basic fellowship rituals between Kubiak and his team.

Of course, it's all "good" when you're winning. If the Jets get their rears kicked the next four weeks...there will be less celebrating I would suppose.

But still, there seems to be be a bit of a contrast between these two teams.

One cares, and the other doesn't.

we were doing the same thing against the jags, GB, titans, bears etc last yr but its ok- selective memory isnt half as bad as alot of the stuff spewing around here at the moment. re-starting the franchise, firing kubiak, schaub, mcnair, everybody & other kinds of ridiculous stuff. do people realise how stupid it sounds to suggest preposterous moves like this?

im also pissed that we took a beatdown at home yesterday. however the fact remains that we caught a team thats going to be very good on a day when they were in top form. not to mention they had a nice amount of luck with the near int's & recovering their own fumbles (aswell as brice nodding off for a play). it happens every week all over the nfl.

i also know we're going to react & come back from this like we always have done since kubiak arrived. i urge some of the other fans who want to blow the whole thing up to calm down. there were positives in that shitstorm yesterday, namely the defensive performance on 1st & 2nd down- i cant remember having so many TFL's or no/short gains & pretty consistent pressure. once the offence gets itself together (which it will) & the defence continues like that & improves on 3rd down, we're going to be there or thereabouts in the playoff race come the end of the season. color me the koolaid/sunshine fan if you want but i know im right. i understand the frustration though but come on its 1 game out of 16 & we have a good team. it was a bad day thats all. we'll have a couple more before the end of the season too. nobody goes 16-0

One would say Dennis Green is an intense guy.....just sayin.

we were doing the same thing against the jags, GB, titans, bears etc last yr but its ok- selective memory isnt half as bad as alot of the stuff spewing around here at the moment. re-starting the franchise, firing kubiak, schaub, mcnair, everybody & other kinds of ridiculous stuff. do people realise how stupid it sounds to suggest preposterous moves like this?

im also pissed that we took a beatdown at home yesterday. however the fact remains that we caught a team thats going to be very good on a day when they were in top form. not to mention they had a nice amount of luck with the near int's & recovering their own fumbles (aswell as brice nodding off for a play). it happens every week all over the nfl.

i also know we're going to react & come back from this like we always have done since kubiak arrived. i urge some of the other fans who want to blow the whole thing up to calm down. there were positives in that shitstorm yesterday, namely the defensive performance on 1st & 2nd down- i cant remember having so many TFL's or no/short gains & pretty consistent pressure. once the offence gets itself together (which it will) & the defence continues like that & improves on 3rd down, we're going to be there or thereabouts in the playoff race come the end of the season. color me the koolaid/sunshine fan if you want but i know im right. i understand the frustration though but come on its 1 game out of 16 & we have a good team. it was a bad day thats all. we'll have a couple more before the end of the season too. nobody goes 16-0

I normally would say that you're right: No need to knee-jerk.

And I have been verrry reserved in my posts on here today and yesterday.

Having said that, I will still say that you don't come out like this in year 4 of your coaching regime. You just don't. That was Pee Wee League out there yesterday, no matter who the opponent would have been. Had we played like that against a weak team, I think we still lose the game.

The hot seat, for Kubiak, just got plugged into the wall outlet as far as I am concerned. You don't start year 4 like that. A loss, when having played a competitive game, is understandable. What I saw, is not excusable.

I'm not in the "Fire him now" gang, but I am definitely not going to spin this like it's no big deal. Year 4. Big deal.

I normally would say that you're right: No need to knee-jerk.

And I have been verrry reserved in my posts on here today and yesterday.

Having said that, I will still say that you don't come out like this in year 4 of your coaching regime. You just don't. That was Pee Wee League out there yesterday, no matter who the opponent would have been. Had we played like that against a weak team, I think we still lose the game.

The hot seat, for Kubiak, just got plugged into the wall outlet as far as I am concerned. You don't start year 4 like that. A loss, when having played a competitive game, is understandable. What I saw, is not excusable.

I'm not in the "Fire him now" gang, but I am definitely not going to spin this like it's no big deal. Year 4. Big deal.

but it does happen... all the time. today its gary kubiak & john fox. just to illustrate my point- last year, the steelers got crushed in a couple games (the titans & eagles games come to mind), same goes for the cards. the titans got absolutely blown out by the jets at home last year. its happened the SB champs, SB runners up & the team with the #1 seed and best record. it happens EVERYBODY.

wait for the reaction- if that doesnt come & the losses pile up, THEN you start calling for heads but i think the reaction so far by Texans fans has been completely OTT. if yesterdays result occurs regularly over the next few weeks, il be in line for kubiak getting the chop, despite me being a big fan of his. have a litlle faith & support the team. i dont think its as impossible as everybody is making out for us to beat the titans next week given how we stopped the run yesterday for most of the game & the fact that collins is a statue compared to sanchez so hopefully he shouldnt be able to make as many 3rd down plays by escaping the rush. and if that happens, everything will be great again. just shows the fickleness that exists among fanbases

but it does happen... all the time. today its gary kubiak & john fox. just to illustrate my point- last year, the steelers got crushed in a couple games (the titans & eagles games come to mind), same goes for the cards. the titans got absolutely blown out by the jets at home last year. its happened the SB champs, SB runners up & the team with the #1 seed and best record. it happens EVERYBODY.

wait for the reaction- if that doesnt come & the losses pile up, THEN you start calling for heads but i think the reaction so far by Texans fans has been completely OTT. if yesterdays result occurs regularly over the next few weeks, il be in line for kubiak getting the chop, despite me being a big fan of his. have a litlle faith & support the team. i dont think its as impossible as everybody is making out for us to beat the titans next week given how we stopped the run yesterday for most of the game & the fact that collins is a statue compared to sanchez so hopefully he shouldnt be able to make as many 3rd down plays by escaping the rush. and if that happens, everything will be great again. just shows the fickleness that exists among fanbases

It doesn't happen year after year, though.

What's our record over the past four years (the first four games of each year)? That's not a good pattern.

Patterns are important. They reveal persistent successes or weaknesses.

If we're going to challenge Indy and Tenn for the AFC South, or even a wild card spot, we can't open up the season in a 1-3 or 0-4 hole. Even going 2-2 is questionable with how the remaining 12 games will go this year.

I'm not throwing the guy out right now. But I am saying that the rain cloud club has been largely validated as of today. Kubiak could win the next 4-in-a-row and wow all of us. It could happen. But the pattern suggests it won't.

The pattern says we start playing football right around week 5, which is way too late in our division and in the AFC in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back