Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

THE 2021 SALARY CAP

badboy

Hall of Fame
I just looked & we're playing the AFCEast & NFCWest... yeah, our 2022 draft slots are going to be up there.
Good decisions this offseason and then hit it right 22 draft. We could be back in it. Get good players but no risky ones. It will not be the time for high ceiling high risk players in my opinion.

Good decisions this offseason and then hit it right 22 draft. We could be back in it. Get good players but no risky ones. It will not be the time for high ceiling high risk players in my opinion.
Cap hell does get A LOT better by 2022.

Depending on who you let go in 2021 (I'll assume Martin, McKinney, Johnson & Johnson plus Dunn for now)
By 2022, you can let go of:

Watt (age 32) will have finished his last contract year @ $17.5M is up (if we haven't dropped him in 2021)
Cooks (age 29) and save $13.0M (if we haven't dropped him in 2021 to save $12.0M)
Roby (age 30) and save $10.0M (if we haven't dropped him in 2021 to save $8.25M)
Mercilus (age 32) and save $11.5M
Cobb (age 32) and save $8.25M
Cunningham (age 28) and save $5.7M
Murray (age 28) and save $5.25M
Fulton (age 31) is a UFA. Saves $4.0M
Fells (age 36) is a UFA. Saves 3.15M, and we've got 3 younger TEs to backfill.

The above pretty much clears out most of the age 30+ players with high salary contracts.

2021 will be a bust. No real salary room, and one could argue dumping Cooks, Roby or Watt a year early only ensures the Texans of a horrific record.
Personally, for 2021, I'd keep Roby, and Watt (but only if he really wants to stay). Watt's earned the right to have his say as to whether to stay or go.
If we can re-sign UFA Fuller for the cost of Cooks ($12M), I'm doing that, and dumping Cooks. If not, I'd keep Cooks for 2021.

It's pretty sad that we committed organizational suicide with historically bad trades of pro-bowlers:

Duane Brown: We got Lonnie Johnson + 1-year rental of Carlos Hyde
JD Clowney: We got Jacob Martin + rental of Barkevious Mingo + Gareon Conley (who was never healthy enough to play)
DeAndre Hopkins: David Johnson (overpaid, rated 64 of 67 RBs by PFF), Ross Blacklock (Rated 123 of 125 Interior Defenders) and a 4th round pick.

Not to mention:

Burned a 3rd round pick on Duke Johnson (who has been overpaid)
Burned a 2nd round pick on Brandin Cooks (on a very expensive contract)

welsh texan

All Pro
The WR position. I don’t know if it’s possible to get out of Cobb’s contract, but seeing how Chad Hansen has played in his games so far, could we potentially roll with Hansen and Coutee as #2 and slot with one of Fuller or Cooks as #1.

Could be a reasonable WR corps at a much lower cost than the current lineup.

Texian

Hall of Fame

Texian

Hall of Fame
Exactly. Which is why I think your choice for next year is Fuller (if he can be resigned) or Cooks (hold our noses on $12M) or neither. Cobb stays for one more year.
I am of the opinion that 2021 is going to be a crap year regardless, so in order to take advantage, clean house and take out as much garbage as you can in 2021. Then you will be able to start 2022 with a clean slate and you will be so much better off because you used 2021 to get your house in order. The Texans need an O'Brien enema. From my perspective that's just plain common sense and basic logic. Fairly confident this does not agree with CEO think.

I am of the opinion that 2021 is going to be a crap year regardless, so in order to take advantage, clean house and take out as much garbage as you can in 2021. Then you will be able to start 2022 with a clean slate and you will be so much better off because you used 2021 to get your house in order. The Texans need an O'Brien enema. From my perspective that's just plain common sense and basic logic. Fairly confident this does not agree with CEO think.
I agree on both counts. I predict a 2-step rebuild/divestiture of older, higher paid players to try to be a bit competitive in 2021, and given they're paying for a lot of those players even if they release them early. The rest will go after the 2021 season ends, or maybe at the trade deadline during 2021. They should have done more of that this season...

OptimisticTexan

2021 Building Block 1 / Go Texans
The WR position. I don’t know if it’s possible to get out of Cobb’s contract, but seeing how Chad Hansen has played in his games so far, could we potentially roll with Hansen and Coutee as #2 and slot with one of Fuller or Cooks as #1.

Could be a reasonable WR corps at a much lower cost than the current lineup.
Texans could add either Antonio Brown or Josh Gordon on a prove-it contract in 2021. Brown or Gordon would fill the WR1 spot while Cobb, Coutee and Hansen fill out the primary WR rolls. Brown or Gordon could completely change the look of this group next season. I could also see either receiver viewing the Texans opportunity as one of the best in the NFL since they would become feature 1's again with Watson throwing the ball.

OptimisticTexan

2021 Building Block 1 / Go Texans
Didn't the Texan players already no vote Brown?
I remember hearing about that but was Hopkins still with the team or did that happen after he was gone? If it is the latter.....maybe that tune changes after watching the 2020 season and a some of those players no longer being with the team before the 2021 season.

welsh texan

All Pro
There is a way then, that the Texans shed some bad contracts on O and still come up better overall.
If Hansen/Cobb/Coutee round out a receiver corps highlighted by AB, Gordon, Cooks or Fuller, along with hitting on a late round/UDFA stud running back, and better OL coaching then the O should be better overall than this year simply by having balance.

That frees up what resource we do have to invest in sorting out that horrible D.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Forbes estimates just over $5 billion loss tickets, parking, concessions, etc which is less than expected.

About 33.42% short of last years figures $15.26B

• NFL revenue by year | Statista

I think that's fairly close to the expected losses that I posted several months back , roughly a third of their revenue.

Roughly $160m in losses per team. I think my figures earlier were around 170something million per team.