Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans vs Packers Preseason Game 1 Thread

7 pm Central on ABC

Your expectations if any?

These games are less about team goals and more about individuals. So win or lose, it isn’t going to mean much.

Let’s remember the year the Lions went 4-0 in the preseason then proceeded to go 0-16. The wins and losses in these games means nothing.

I like these games in that football is back, but I also hate them because the starters play very little, and answers to questions we all have about the team, will not be answered in any of these games. We’re not going to find out if the pass rush is better, if the run game is better, o-line, any of that stuff, because these games will be played mostly by guys who will see backup/rotational snaps, or won’t be here at all, come Sept. 12th.

The offense and defense are both going to be vanilla, there’s no game planning like there would be for a regular season game.

These games are about watching for individuals that play well and look to have potential. And even that can be misleading given the other teams 2’s and 3’s they’re going up against.

So if I’m looking for anything in any of these games, it’s guys that show some flash, and thus, potential. Also, getting first looks at guys like Mills and how he handles things. Getting a first look at Collins. Stuff like that.

Eh, why not create a thread? Before the where to watch and how to watch, is there anything that intrigues you about this game? My main focus will be on the defensive line. On offense, I want to see how they divide the carries with all the running backs in the mix. TE's are in a pretty tight battle as well.

Typically, we don't see a whole lot of starters in the first preseason game of the year. But this isn't your "typical" (until now) year for the NFL with a new preseason and regular season game total. And with all the new players on the Texans, its going to be interesting to see who gets the bulk of the work early. This is a pretty important (for preseason) game for a lot more players on the Texans than usually.

The OL takes a big hit.

Tytus Howard, Roderick Johnson, and Laremy Tunsil have just been placed on the COVID-19 reserve list (one positive test, two high-risk close contacts).
Thank goodness we are taking this hit in our first preseason game and not to start the regular season.

However, I fear we are fixing to go through a second phase of Covid that will be worse than the first phase. It may soon be time to shut the country down once again! Not what I want to see happen but I fear that might be the case.

In the mean time we should get blown out badly in this upcoming preseason game!

Last edited:
In the mean time we should get blown out badly in this upcoming preseason game!
Better than completely mauling the Packers practice squad.

I'm all about optimism, go team & all that Jazz. Buy can you imagine what this place would be like if Warring looks like Gronk & Kelce against the Packers 6th string defense?

I'm all about optimism, go team & all that Jazz. But can you imagine what this place would be like if Warring looks like Gronk & Kelce against the Packers 6th string defense?
Yes I am jumping the gun so to speak. I can see where many of us fans might get unnecessarily excited in regards anything positive we see under those circumstances. Beyond a series or two I won't read much into the final score. I will look for little victories and see what players look the best while trying to guess who makes the final roster and who will not.

I'm all about optimism, go team & all that Jazz. Buy can you imagine what this place would be like if Warring looks like Gronk & Kelce against the Packers 6th string defense?
I can foresee where we get too excited if we hand it to the Packers under those circumstances! I will try to be reasonable in regards to the score and in regards to who seems to look the best and who struggles.

Warring (aka beta joppru) will suffer some minor injury like a hang nail and sit out another season.

7 pm Central on ABC

Your expectations if any?

I want to see Mills play some. Looking forward to seeing Nico play. Kid has drawn some comparisons to AJ (in certain ways) so very curious. And I have heard good things about the D, I want to see it against another team

I’ll have to find a way to see the game now that we’re back on the East coast (VA). Heading back to Europe come next week. Have to find a way to get my AFN box connected so I can watch some games.

I’ll have to find a way to see the game now that we’re back on the East coast (VA). Heading back to Europe come next week. Have to find a way to get my AFN box connected so I can watch some games.
I dunno are you military Op-T or is this civilian employment that's moving you around all over the place ?

I dunno are you military Op-T or is this civilian employment that's moving you around all over the place ?

Did mine and my wife’s finishing hers. This is the last folks and then we’ll fine be back in Atascocita on a full-time basis. This last move took the most out of us but also set the table for easy home visits and finally a permanent arrival home. Really looking forward to this final step.

Also, will be following tonight’s game and looking forward to the in-game chatter here on TT.

Did mine and my wife’s finishing hers. This is the last folks and then we’ll fine be back in Atascocita on a full-time basis. This last move took the most out of us but also set the table for easy home visits and finally a permanent arrival home. Really looking forward to this final step.

Also, will be following tonight’s game and looking forward to the in-game chatter here on TT.
Awright, sounds good to me.

Not going to make a stand alone thread but what is your routine going to be for this game? My friends and I will continue to do weekly meals (spaghetti tonight). It's been a tough week as My brother died August 12th 1998 from Lymphatic cancer after mom died July 3rd. This week on 11th my long time friend and neighbor died of covid. She recently retired and came out of hospital shortly thereafter with respiratory issues (no covid) and went home to visit family in another state. Caught covid and passed in few days. Another neighbor was recently diagnosed with same cancer that killed my brother and is getting mixed messages from his team of oncologists at MD Anderson. One said hope for best but prepare for worst. That one wants to remove his jaw; other says absolutely not, radiation and chemo first.

I want our historic routine with Texans to be same but also get caught up in the game. My buddy's sister-in-law also died of covid and funeral's today. Hope he returns in time for game. TBH I do bear some resentment to Watson for impacting my life. I just keep in mind his alleged victims had more than me.

I want to see Mills play some. Looking forward to seeing Nico play. Kid has drawn some comparisons to AJ (in certain ways) so very curious. And I have heard good things about the D, I want to see it against another team
Isn't that last sentence what Watson is in trouble for?
:mcclain::headbang:

Not going to make a stand alone thread but what is your routine going to be for this game? My friends and I will continue to do weekly meals (spaghetti tonight). It's been a tough week as My brother died August 12th 1998 from Lymphatic cancer after mom died July 3rd. This week on 11th my long time friend and neighbor died of covid. She recently retired and came out of hospital shortly thereafter with respiratory issues (no covid) and went home to visit family in another state. Caught covid and passed in few days. Another neighbor was recently diagnosed with same cancer that killed my brother and is getting mixed messages from his team of oncologists at MD Anderson. One said hope for best but prepare for worst. That one wants to remove his jaw; other says absolutely not, radiation and chemo first.

I want our historic routine with Texans to be same but also get caught up in the game. My buddy's sister-in-law also died of covid and funeral's today. Hope he returns in time for game. TBH I do bear some resentment to Watson for impacting my life. I just keep in mind his alleged victims had more than me.
feral hog carnitas with Mexican Crema, avacodos, jalapeños and black beans for me. Wow really sorry for your environment. Stay positive, love life.

Has anyone mentioned that terrible trade involving David Johnson?

I know, I know. It's real early for that kind of negativity after a nice drive.

Nice defensive stop to start the game. Really nice drive by Taylor and the offense only to be stopped by a David Johnson -1 yard run on 3rd and 1. Should’ve been an offensive TD the way the offense was clicking.

Back