Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans vs lions Thanksgiving (rumor)

Might be a fun road trip! No worries about cooking, cleaning, people talking during the game, family dropins that are COWBOY fans, etc. Think I just might book a trip to Detriot!! If my "boys" can miss Thanksgiving dinner with their family, then so can I. Besides, my kids already know not to mess with me when it comes to our Texans!!:)

Maybe I'll get lucky and get a COLD weather game out of it!!

Getting brave after our trip to Baltimore?

Looks to me like another good excuse to get out of a holiday with the inlaws. I am always up for that.

That was the worse part of the Aggie/Horns breakup for me. No built in excuse for avoiding the inlaws on Turkey day.

Looks to me like another good excuse to get out of a holiday with the inlaws. I am always up for that.

That was the worse part of the Aggie/Horns breakup for me. No built in excuse for avoiding the inlaws on Turkey day.

Well, maybe this year you will have an excuse! I'm all for another roadie! Let's do it!!

Well, maybe this year you will have an excuse! I'm all for another roadie! Let's do it!!

I wish I could meet up with y'all again...I'm waiting for the schedule 'cause my Birthday is on a Sunday this year!!! I'll be living in Tennessee...hopefully I'll have a job so I can attend where ever it is. I guess I'll just have to wait!

It would be pretty damn cool. It would make Thanksgiving interesting at our family get together. My Uncles on my Mother's side...are Cowgirl fans. :wadepalm:

They are the kinds that talk mad sh!t when the Girls are good, but get all offensive, and turn into GIANT crybababy puhcees when the Girls suck. :yes:

I wish I could meet up with y'all again...I'm waiting for the schedule 'cause my Birthday is on a Sunday this year!!! I'll be living in Tennessee...hopefully I'll have a job so I can attend where ever it is. I guess I'll just have to wait!

Would love to see ya too!! Maybe a trip to Nashville will be on the roadie agenda also. We'll see after the sch comes out.

As amazing as it is, while others enjoy football, nobody else watches it as much as me. My family are not sports fans in the slightest, so trying to watch a game with one of them would not be fun as they would constantly be moving the conversation elsewhere rather than concentrating on the game.

I've got the same problem. Sure, they say, you can watch the game, but then they chatter incessently and loudly about everything BUT the game. Annoying as hell. My boys are getting old enough to be on my side though, so I am shifting things the right way for future generations.

Ok, I see.

I suppose you can file a waiver form if that's the case.

Am sorry to hear that your family does not enjoy watching sports as much as you do. You should trade them in for a family that DOES. Let them know you're considering exercising the option part of the clause in your family contract. Play hardball with them. j/k ;)

Yeah, its really funny how that turned out. My dad will watch the last 10 minutes of a sporting event but won't typically watch a whole game. My uncles enjoy playing tennis and golf, but don't care to watch it on TV. Just about everyone will watch the game for about 10 minutes then launch into random conversations or begin moving around absentmindedly in front of the TV to show off baby pictures and the like.

One time I wore a Texans jersey when picking up family members. You should have heard the discussion that entailed as they tried to figure out what sport it was for! You don't even want to know how the conversation went when I tried to explain how much I enjoy watching the NFL draft on the TV!!!

My dad is funny though. He knows when big events happen in Htown sports. When they do he calls me up and asks me for 5 talking points for work the next day!

I've got the same problem. Sure, they say, you can watch the game, but then they chatter incessently and loudly about everything BUT the game. Annoying as hell. My boys are getting old enough to be on my side though, so I am shifting things the right way for future generations.

Exactly. They are nice and sweet enough to let me watch the game and will watch with me, but they just don't enjoy it. So, they will begin talking about everything but the game. Then when I remind them I can't hear the game they will respond with, "hear what, this is TV, you can see it, right?" Of course trying to explain why I would want to hear the announcers goes over their heads!

Exactly. They are nice and sweet enough to let me watch the game and will watch with me, but they just don't enjoy it. So, they will begin talking about everything but the game. Then when I remind them I can't hear the game they will respond with, "hear what, this is TV, you can see it, right?" Of course trying to explain why I would want to hear the announcers goes over their heads!

My Uncle is one of those intense, low volume, poker faced guys while watching a game. He's a Marine, so he trys to show no emotion. You can tell it eats him alive when the Texans do bad, lol. When they do good though, he shows joy, he gets all trashed. If they lose he still drinks, but is "serious" drunk.

My Dad is right the opposite, he shows his emotions dammit! :overreact:

He's a hardcore Texans junkie! Matt Schaub can go from, "they need to get rid of that ol' boy, he aint worth a crap" to, "hell that guy is pretty damn good, they need to hold on to that boy" in one game. :ahhaha:

My Uncle is one of those intense, low volume, poker faced guys while watching a game. He's a Marine, so he trys to show no emotion. You can tell it eats him alive when the Texans do bad, lol. When they do good though, he shows joy, he gets all trashed. If they lose he still drinks, but is "serious" drunk.

My Dad is right the opposite, he shows his emotions dammit! :overreact:

He's a hardcore Texans junkie! Matt Schaub can go from,
"they need to get rid of that ol' boy, (insert players name) he aint worth a crap" to, "hell that guy is pretty damn good, they need to hold on to that boy" in one game.
:ahhaha:

Thunderkyss is your dad?

j/k (both of you)

:coffee:

Weren't we supposed to get a Thanksgiving game last year? As much as I'd love to be watching my Texans while filling my face with Pumpkin Pie, I'll have to wait and see if this'll happen.

Last year it was rumored that we would play the Jets on Thanksgiving night on NFL Network. That night slot is for any matchup the league chooses. The early slot this year is for a Lions opponent that plays in Detroit and is in the AFC. That leaves the Texans and the Colts.

It's a virtual lock that the Texans will play on Thanksgiving against the Lions. There is absolutely no way they'd stick the Colts on National TV instead of us, given the choice. Blowouts have terrible ratings.

Would love to see ya too!! Maybe a trip to Nashville will be on the roadie agenda also. We'll see after the sch comes out.

If it works out that would be awesome. We'll have to see how it goes!

Depending on how the job goes-I may try and make a trip to see a home game this year...

A Thanksgiving game would be a lot of fun. Does anyone know the date that the complete schedules get released?

Schedule release dates the last 7 seasons:

05 - April 13
06 - April 6
07 - April 11
08 - April 15
09 - April 14
10 - April 20
11 - April 19

Just found this on wiki:

Thanksgiving Classic: These games will occur on Thursday, November 22. The Detroit Lions will host an AFC team—either the Houston Texans or Indianapolis Colts—at 12:30 p.m. EST on CBS. (Under current NFL policy to give Thanksgiving appearances to those teams that have not yet appeared or have not appeared in several years, and given the 2011 performance of both the Texans and the Colts, Houston is the more likely visitor in Detroit.)
LINK

At least it's an away game. We've hosted Thanksgiving at our house for the last two years and I have a feeling that's not going to change. I'd hate to miss a game, or tell our family to take a hike.

How epic would THIS be:

Texans vs. Cowboys on Thanksgiving!

I know not for this year, but in the future I think it would be awesome. Bob and Jerry would surely go for it--National exposure for both Texas teams who battle it out on Thanksgiving Day.

They should make the Thanksgiving Day games rivalry games. It has to be games like Bears-Packers, or Lions-Packers, or Cowboys-Redskins, etc. Rivalry games on Thanksgiving Day is an automatic win for fans. The intensity level is up about 12 notches from its normal setting.

How epic would THIS be:

I know not for this year, but in the future I think it would be awesome. Bob and Jerry would surely go for it--National exposure for both Texas teams who battle it out on Thanksgiving Day.

They should make the Thanksgiving Day games rivalry games. It has to be games like Bears-Packers, or Lions-Packers, or Cowboys-Redskins, etc. Rivalry games on Thanksgiving Day is an automatic win for fans. The intensity level is up about 12 notches from its normal setting.

No thanks!! The "girls" don't consider us much of a rival anyway, we're to beneath them, in their teeny imaginations! I just don't think Cowboy fans hate the Texans as much as we hate them, supposedly. IF that does ever happen, I hope it's in Dallas. I don't want to EVER endure another experience like the one we had here! That was NOT a fun game!! JMO Maybe the Thanksgiving Day game could be like a mid season SB, played at a neutral stadium. :thinking::winky:

If we'd be the home team, Thanksgiving Game would be great but too hard to win such a game on the road with such a short week to prepare.

No thanks!! The "girls" don't consider us much of a rival anyway, we're to beneath them, in their teeny imaginations! I just don't think Cowboy fans hate the Texans as much as we hate them, supposedly. IF that does ever happen, I hope it's in Dallas. I don't want to EVER endure another experience like the one we had here! That was NOT a fun game!! JMO Maybe the Thanksgiving Day game could be like a mid season SB, played at a neutral stadium. :thinking::winky:

Well then, we have to make it a rivalry to them.

Are you up for meeting with me and some of the gang? We're going to throw eggs at the Cowboys stadium and spray paint HOUSTON RULEZ! on their sidewalks.

That should get their blood boiling. You have to coax them into it! LOL.

How epic would THIS be:

i would love this.

i got a mate who's a cowgirl fan and i would love it if the texans won so i could keep him quite "we're americas team blah blah romo blah blah Super Bowl" NO WE BEAT YOU SUCKER!!!!!

thats how it would go down

Well then, we have to make it a rivalry to them.

Are you up for meeting with me and some of the gang? We're going to throw eggs at the Cowboys stadium and spray paint HOUSTON RULEZ! on their sidewalks.

That should get their blood boiling. You have to coax them into it! LOL.

Reminds me of a road trip, back in the day, when we made 19-10 posters and taped them to poles along I-45. :) Another roadie when we took over their parking lot and showed those "girls" how to PARTY and TAILGATE the Texans way!! FOND memories!! SOOOOOO, YES, I'm up for some fun coaxing! :zipit:

i would love this.

i got a mate who's a cowgirl fan and i would love it if the texans won so i could keep him quite "we're americas team blah blah romo blah blah Super Bowl" NO WE BEAT YOU SUCKER!!!!!

thats how it would go down

Bob and Jerry are businessmen. They should see the inherent value of a Texans-Cowboys Thanksgiving tradition. It's a win-win, even if one team loses...both teams STILL win.

They could easily create a fake rivalry that will end up spilling over into a full-blown REAL rivalry. Even if the Cowboys don't care about us, it takes but a few annual meetings to help make some buzz that could create a rivalry. You want your teams facing off like this to generate fan interest.

I bet the majority of America would love to see Houston and Dallas go to war on Thanksgiving Day. Texas-on-Texas crime sells, IMO.

I would be in favor of a Texans Cowgirls Thanksgiving matchup. The only way for it to really work and become a rivalry is if the teams met up more than once every 4 years. JMO

I feel like the only way that could work is if the NFL expanded to an 18 game schedule. My theory is that the NFL schedule going to 18 games, then the extra two games will be confrence vs confrence match ups. Maybe something like a rotation similar to how the AFC does it now with the common finish. That way the Texans and Cowgirls could potentially play up to 3 years in a row, of course depending on the placement in both teams division.

That is just my take on it.

I dont understand the crowd who resists a possible Thanksgiving game.

Big boy teams have to play on the big stage. They cant hide in the shadows forever and expect to earn respect.

Also to Dopp, I think this is the one year you can have someone else cook while you enjoy your favorite sports team play a big time game. And if that is not an option, DVR the first half.

Oh yeah... and the Lions have gotten soooooo much "respect" for playing on Thanksgiving all these years...
Riiiiiight.

"Respect" comes when you win in the post-season. Ultimate respect comes from holding up the Lombardi trophy in early Feb, NOT playing in some obscure game on Thanksgiving.

I tell you what though, It's going to SUCKKK if the Texans lose to the Lions on thanksgiving. The Lions haven't won a thanksgiving matchup since....2003!

That would be THE storyline to talk about if the Texans lost and we would not hear the end of it.

Last year it was rumored that we would play the Jets on Thanksgiving night on NFL Network. That night slot is for any matchup the league chooses. The early slot this year is for a Lions opponent that plays in Detroit and is in the AFC. That leaves the Texans and the Colts.

It's a virtual lock that the Texans will play on Thanksgiving against the Lions. There is absolutely no way they'd stick the Colts on National TV instead of us, given the choice. Blowouts have terrible ratings.

You're joking, right? A resurgent Lions team featuring Bad Boy Suh up against the #1 overall pick and heir-apparent to Peyton Manning. They can (and will) drone on and on for hours on those stories. The only way the Texans usurp that drama-queen story line is if both teams go into that game undefeated.

Bob and Jerry are businessmen. They should see the inherent value of a Texans-Cowboys Thanksgiving tradition. It's a win-win, even if one team loses...both teams STILL win.

They could easily create a fake rivalry that will end up spilling over into a full-blown REAL rivalry. Even if the Cowboys don't care about us, it takes but a few annual meetings to help make some buzz that could create a rivalry. You want your teams facing off like this to generate fan interest.

I bet the majority of America would love to see Houston and Dallas go to war on Thanksgiving Day. Texas-on-Texas crime sells, IMO.

The only way that would work is if we were in the same division. The NFL isn't college, you don't get to pick opponents. We only play the cowboys every 4 years, and there's no way around that.

The only way that would work is if we were in the same division. The NFL isn't college, you don't get to pick opponents. We only play the cowboys every 4 years, and there's no way around that.

Then why do we play the Raiders every year?:foottap: Seems like it anyway.

You play the AFC teams that finish in the same place as you in their divisions. For example:

We finished first in the AFC South last year, so we play the Ravens and the Broncos, even though we wont play any other teams in the AFCW and AFCN.

Its like what another poster said, we usually finish in the same place as them so we have to face them. On the years that we don't finish same place as them, we usually end up playing the afc west so we face them regardless.

This season is the first season since 2007? that we havent faced the raiders.

Its like what another poster said, we usually finish in the same place as them so we have to face them. On the years that we don't finish same place as them, we usually end up playing the afc west so we face them regardless.

This season is the first season since 2007? that we havent faced the raiders.

But yet we face the Dolphins for the 9th season in a row.

No way. 9th in a row. I did not know that.

Yep, we've played them every year and they all are pretty much nail biters except for this last one and they year where Arian Foster started for like the first time with us. This goes all the way back to our first game of the season in 2003, Andre's rookie season, when The Dolphins were favored to go to the Super Bowl with Ricky Williams and everyone thought for sure we would lose that game. Instead we walked out of there with a last second Kris Brown FG win.

Yep, we've played them every year and they all are pretty much nail biters except for this last one and they year where Arian Foster started for like the first time with us. This goes all the way back to our first game of the season in 2003, Andre's rookie season, when The Dolphins were favored to go to the Super Bowl with Ricky Williams and everyone thought for sure we would lose that game. Instead we walked out of there with a last second Kris Brown FG win.

We did not play Miami in 2002 (unless you count preseason),2004, 2005, or 2010.
:facepalm:

But yet we face the Dolphins for the 9th season in a row.

:toropalm:

Yeah, no. I can say we did not play them in 2010.

You don't even need to look at the years we played them. You just need to llok at the record. 6-0. We have been playing 10 years this coming season. So that's 4 season we have not played them. C'mon man.....check your facts before you post!

Back