Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Training Camp Preview 2023

great to hear stuff like this can be cleaned up and it really seems like it can; thanks for the update
10-4
He’s been performing much better since then. In the first preseason game he was solid.
He has looked like trash during 1 on 1 drills the days I’ve attended TC. I hope it’s just good defense making him look this bad vs him actually being this bad. We shall see though. His run blocking is legit though.

Agreed

And it's sad because I believe everything is in place to win 10 games. Especially on defense.

Earl, Do you believe this defense is a top 10 defense.

I'm predicting that the OL will be solid once Howard gets back. Although there's not much depth at the IOL positions. Fant and Heck are decent OT depth.

I believe Pierce is gonna have a 16-17,000 yd from scrimmage. He stays healthy this yr. He's also gonna show he can catch the ball out of the backfield. Did you see the vid of him catching a 20 yd wheel route with his hands. More depth there too. I bet by the end of the season Boone ends up as the 3rd down RB. He's solid in pass pro, something I question about Singletary.

I like the Schultz FA signing and this preseason is about finding 2 TE's that can play. I'm betting Quitoriano and Vannett are the guys because these guys are the best blockers and have solid hands.

The WR's while there's no Jefferson/Hill/Diggs on this team Woods/Collins who are perfect in a WCO because they can block, then add in a solid slot in Metchie and a dynamic guy like Dell. Plus a great depth/ST's guy like Wilson.

If the OL stays healthy with avg to slightly above avg QB should win 10 games against this schedule.

Agreed

And it's sad because I believe everything is in place to win 10 games. Especially on defense.

This is similar to you saying that other people are making excuses in advance if CJ doesn't perform well. Like someone mentioning he has a rookie OC and you say here come the excuses.

You're trying to pre-establish this as a 10 win team, making it convenient for you to lay the blame on CJ if they don't reach that total

This is similar to you saying that other people are making excuses in advance if CJ doesn't perform well. Like someone mentioning he has a rookie OC and you say here come the excuses.

You're trying to pre-establish this as a 10 win team, making it convenient for you to lay the blame on CJ if they don't reach that total

Tell me why you disagree with the post above this post?

I believe Pierce is gonna have a 16-17,000 yd from scrimmage. He stays healthy this yr. He's also gonna show he can catch the ball out of the backfield. Did you see the vid of him catching a 20 yd wheel route with his hands. More depth there too. I bet by the end of the season Boone ends up as the 3rd down RB. He's solid in pass pro, something I question about Singletary.
????

I don't about michaelm, but you're just your usual self.

Last year, you said Caserio did OK, but that wouldn't have been what you would do.

You said the Texans won't be competitive until 2024.
Better not draft a QB.

In another word, you see it as a non-competive line-up.
And they drafted a QB that you don't like.
That surely wouldn't make the roster more competitive now, does it.

Then you said they should win between 8 and 10 games in post 205 of this thread.

But lately, you up that to the minimum of 10.

It's similar to the 2017 draft, you're all over the place again, hoping that one scenario would stick.

You've been pretty good at evaluating OT.
Whatever method and criteria you've been using, may I suggest that you somehow incorporate it into the rest.

Many posters here see that you have an agenda against CJ, yet you continue to sprout that the Texans will likely win 6 games because Stroud is below average.
You blatantly disregard that Slowick had never call a single play and that DR is a defensive coach.

Everybody else has an excuse, except for CJ.

But I wil give you this.
You kinda keep the MB active.
In another word, it seems like you might be working for the marketing department so as to keep the interest up. :ahhaha:

Earl, Do you believe this defense is a top 10 defense.

I'm predicting that the OL will be solid once Howard gets back. Although there's not much depth at the IOL positions. Fant and Heck are decent OT depth.

I like the Schultz FA signing and this preseason is about finding 2 TE's that can play. I'm betting Quitoriano and Vannett are the guys because these guys are the best blockers and have solid hands.

The WR's while there's no Jefferson/Hill/Diggs on this team Woods/Collins who are perfect in a WCO because they can block, then add in a solid slot in Metchie and a dynamic guy like Dell. Plus a great depth/ST's guy like Wilson.

If the OL stays healthy with avg to slightly above avg QB should win 10 games against this schedule.
No, I don't believe this defense is top 10, not yet.

Howard will miss a number of games; who knows for sure how many.
Right now, there's no depth at swing tackle.
They even tried Dieter there while he should focus on just C and G.

With Quess out, they will have to rely on Scruggs.
Patterson isn't going to make the 53-man roster the way he keeps missing practice.
I'm not even sure you or many draftniks here like Scruggs in the draft. I'm pretty sure nobody had Scruggs as the guy they want drafted.
Quess was getting all the first-team reps until he got injured.
That didn't scream out Scruggs the savior.

Green can't be counted on between playing poorly and being hurt.

Everybody knows Howard is overpaid.

Tunsil's salary is only more in line now, more or less, so I will leave him alone.

Last year, you said Caserio did OK, but that wouldn't have been what you would do.

Better not draft a QB.

Then you said they should win between 8 and 10 games in post 205 of this thread.

It's similar to the 2017 draft, you're all over the place again, hoping that one scenario would stick.

Whatever method and criteria you've been using, may I suggest that you somehow incorporate it into the rest.

Many posters here see that you have an agenda against CJ, yet you continue to sprout that the Texans will likely win 6 games because Stroud is below average.
You blatantly disregard that Slowick had never call a single play and that DR is a defensive coach.

But I wil give you this.
In another word, it seems like you might be working for the marketing department so as to keep the interest up. :ahhaha:
It seems perfectly reasonable to me that after the training camp performance of our defense, and speculation that we just might have a top 10 defense, that 10 wins is becoming more possible if our offense can just be halfway decent. And I agree that the sucess of our offense will likely hinge on the health of our OL, particularly the IOL.

If you want to low ball our team, fine. Right now I'm waiting to see how the last two preseason games play out, but I'm really liking the possibilities of this season being a surprise.

Better not draft a QB.

But I wil give you this.
You didn't answer the post I posted.

Tell me why the Texans if the ol stays healthy and they get avd to slightly above avgg QB play that they shouldn't win 10 games against this schedule?

Most all of Shanny's assistants that have moved up have done well right away. Mc Vay, Saleh,LaFluer etc....

No, I don't believe this defense is top 10, not yet.

Howard will miss a number of games; who knows for sure how many.
Right now, there's no depth at swing tackle.
They even tried Dieter there while he should focus on just C and G.

With Quess out, they will have to rely on Scruggs.
Patterson isn't going to make the 53-man roster the way he keeps missing practice.
I'm not even sure you or many draftniks here like Scruggs in the draft. I'm pretty sure nobody had Scruggs as the guy they want drafted.
Quess was getting all the first-team reps until he got injured.
That didn't scream out Scruggs the savior.

Green can't be counted on between playing poorly and being hurt.

Everybody knows Howard is overpaid.

Tunsil's salary is only more in line now, more or less, so I will leave him alone.
Aren't you just a bundle of joy.

For the record I would've traded up for John Micheal Schmidtz

I don't believe everything is in place for a 10 win season for starters.
And I'm not convinced that you really believe it either.
But hopefully you do.
Because if you honestly do, that's a tacit approval of what the front office has assembled and now we're just waiting to see if Stroud is good enough.
According to you it seems.

I don't believe everything is in place for a 10 win season for starters.
And I'm not convinced that you really believe it either.
But hopefully you do.
Because if you honestly do, that's a tacit approval of what the front office has assembled and now we're just waiting to see if Stroud is good enough.
According to you it seems.
I believe they can win 10 games for the reasons I listed and I'm trying to stay positive especially about the ol staying healthy. And other than Stroud, I am happy with the moves, draft they had. Why don't you think they will be a top 10 defense?

Can you break down the schedule and say which games you think they will win? I don't believe they win 10 without a whole lot of luck and regression on other teams. I do think 6-7 wins are possible with good health and a little luck
I think 10 is high and 6 is low balling this team...hoping for 8-9 myself given the schedule. I think our team is better coached and has more talent than last years team and I am hoping the defense helps us win a few games more games that last years team couldnt.

I think 10 is high and 6 is low balling this team...hoping for 8-9 myself given the schedule. I think our team is better coached and has more talent than last years team and I am hoping the defense helps us win a few games more games that last years team couldnt.
Lot's of hoping there and hoping don't win games. But for the record, I'm hoping they go undefeated

I think people predicting some big win total need to remember that a rookie C rookie QB combination is almost certainly going to have its eff-up moments when the pressure is on and that setting the bar too high right off the bat might not be wise.

Few QBs are judged by their rookie season. CJ has a lot of talent and a lot of learning to do to get the game slowed down for him.

My bet is that everything the coaches say to him after that welcome from Bill B is a little more valuable than before, the same will go for the mistakes and struggles he’s found this week in joint scrimmage, there’s going to be a ton of learning moments through this season for him, and that is going to mean a frustrating offence that lets us down at critical moments.

I expect the D to be pretty exciting, I expect our run game to move the ball and take some pressure off CJ so he can make some nice plays through the air.

We’re going to have every evaluation plagued with the suggestion that he’s too stupid to play good, though, and we know that in a roundabout way that it’s all Rick Smith’s fault, too.

Few QBs are judged by their rookie season. CJ has a lot of talent and a lot of learning to do to get the game slowed down for him.

No Hall of Fame QBs are actually judged by their rookie seasons.

Specifically not Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, not Peyton Manning or Patrick Mahomes.. not Joe Burrow, Steve Young, Joe Montana, Josh Allen, Drew Brees, Lamar Jackson, John Elway, Roger Staubach or Brett Favre.. not one of these guys were the trigger man for a 10 win, playoff contending team as a rookie QB..

..not a one.

Can you break down the schedule and say which games you think they will win? I don't believe they win 10 without a whole lot of luck and regression on other teams. I do think 6-7 wins are possible with good health and a little luck
I've already done this before and I will PM this to you sometime this weekend. I've got a busy next couple of weekends with the FF drafts.

Reactions: JB
It seems perfectly reasonable to me that after the training camp performance of our defense, and speculation that we just might have a top 10 defense, that 10 wins is becoming more possible if our offense can just be halfway decent. And I agree that the sucess of our offense will likely hinge on the health of our OL, particularly the IOL.

If you want to low ball our team, fine. Right now I'm waiting to see how the last two preseason games play out, but I'm really liking the possibilities of this season being a surprise.
Last season, they went 3-0 in pre-season.

Liking the possibilities is one thing; making things up is totally different.

Also, you say "surprise"; steelb was saying a totally different thing.

Tell me why the Texans if the ol stays healthy and they get avd to slightly above avgg QB play that they shouldn't win 10 games against this schedule?

Most all of Shanny's assistants that have moved up have done well right away. Mc Vay, Saleh,LaFluer etc....
The Jets were 4-11 in 2021.
They were 7-10 last year.

McVay was OC for 3 years.

LaFleur, see the Jets above.

Green was horrible last year.
Did you just wave a magic wand and make him better instantly?

You, yourself, didn't have Scruggs on the radar.
He had a hard time beating the worst C in the league last year.
(Quess was getting all the first team rep until he got injured.)

You had at least ten guys higher than Howard.

And here you're telling me that this Oline is good?

Laughable.

You think the schedule is weak.
I'm still seeing the same number of games against playoff teams.
It may end up being 7, or it may end up being 9.

How many games against playoff teams that you see for you to call it an easy schedule?

By the way, when McVay first became OC, his team (Redskins) went 4-12.
They never won more than 9 games with him.

I'm afraid we're getting more "home town" reporting from the " Texans biased media." From all feedback I've received regarding Green, his conditioning and his performance has been unacceptable. Some of this is due to something no one wants to talk about.............his knee. Aaron Wilson misreported his knee surgical history in an article (which has since my post in March been changed to leave out the part he said his first surgery after his senior year was a repair). He stated that Green's first knee surgery was a meniscus repair and his most recent surgery was a meniscus "clean up/trim" (which translated is a meniscus excision).

Here is my March post...and response to a question.

His rehab has beeene a slow one. I'm afraid the 2 meniscus excisions are taking their toll.

I never was a fan of the Greene pick. Honestly I think he’s a bust. I hope I’m wrong. I wanted Linderbaum or Zion Johnson if we were going OL.

I think reevaluating on how we scout OL might be something we need to do. I’d also consider bringing in Risner if he’s still available.

Most of the TD passes have been thrown his way. He hasn’t looked terrible, but he hasn’t been looking like a lock down corner either. Hopefully it’s just that our receivers are that good.
Here’s hoping, there’s plenty of upside to each of the WRs on our roster, with the FA vets we signed actually being the least exciting but seeming like solid fall back options who’ll definitely fit the system if Collins/Metchie/Dell don’t live up to expectations.

Was a bit upsetting watching the first episode of Hard Knocks watching Wilson and Sauce go at it.

I believe they can win 10 games for the reasons I listed and I'm trying to stay positive especially about the ol staying healthy. And other than Stroud, I am happy with the moves, draft they had. Why don't you think they will be a top 10 defense?

I didn't give an opinion on a defensive ranking, I said I don't think everything is in place to win 10 games.
I do think the defense can be top ten.
Almost all of the liming factors on the team are on the offensive side of the ball with the exception of almost every position on the coaching staff being filled by guys who are in the first year in thier new roles.

I never was a fan of the Greene pick. Honestly I think he’s a bust. I hope I’m wrong. I wanted Linderbaum or Zion Johnson if we were going OL.

I think reevaluating on how we scout OL might be something we need to do. I’d also consider bringing in Risner if he’s still available.
Beside his injury history, Green does NOT fit the role of a ZBS Olineman (anything but light on his feet)........he was drafted to fill the role in another offensive scheme.

I didn't give an opinion on a defensive ranking, I said I don't think everything is in place to win 10 games.
I do think the defense can be top ten.
Almost all of the liming factors on the team are on the offensive side of the ball with the exception of almost every position on the coaching staff being filled by guys who are in the first year in thier new roles.
Shanny has a great track record of developing coaches. You can say the same thing about Ryans. As far as talent goes what would you say they need to improve upon.

Well they currently have the projected starters locked up for a few years after the extensions and signings this year. I would go with IDL or TE as the top target next April...of course this season could show something different.
i dont care who we got locked up, if we can draft young talent that is better than whats currently signed then thats what they need to do...especially if people dont do well this year and dont fit the scheme being installed.

Anyone have a revised practice schedule. Yesterday was originally a practice with today being a travel day. Tomorrow an off day, with joint practices Thursday and Friday.

If they practiced yesterday, I haven't seen any reports. And no reports from a practice this morning.

So what's happening?

Anyone have a revised practice schedule. Yesterday was originally a practice with today being a travel day. Tomorrow an off day, with joint practices Thursday and Friday.

If they practiced yesterday, I haven't seen any reports. And no reports from a practice this morning.

So what's happening?
They must be pretty beat up.

So what's happening?
Texans players are off today and will be practicing Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Then Sunday game. This being treated like regular season week.

EDIT Just say Porky's post

Back