Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Training Camp 2015

I love the fiestyness of the new Texans we have, forget that helping the opponent up BS. F'ing hit somebody.....Love it.

I agree! That toughness has to translate between the whistles though. I don't care about being known as the nice and classy team. I don't want to be known as the dirty team either, but teams should be worried when they strap up against us. We have enough good players on Defense to say that. Have to establish that mentality on offense.

Vrabs right in the middle of "practice" today...

temp08082015_TC_Practice_Day_9_0048--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

temp08082015_TC_Practice_Day_9_0059--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

temp08082015_TC_Practice_Day_9_0060--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempGC1_2466--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempGC1_2469--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

tempGC1_2473--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG

--redskins.com

Wilfork and Watt would destroy the entire Redskins offense by themselves in a real fight.

Hard to say. Remember Hugh Douglas? I thought he was a tough guy who'd be able to keep the Eagle's locker room in order. Then T.O. came along & re-established the pecking order.

looks 2 of the fights happened when our players completely embarrased them on their own field. one was wilfork plowing the center and another one was hilliard trucking over one of their dbs. haha

Any pictures of Ben Jones? I saw a quick shot of him in one of the videos & he was looking particularly stout... it's quite possible it was someone else, but I've been hoping to see a picture of him to verify one way or the other.

16 Observations: Day 3 Texans vs. Washington
John Harris|Texans Analyst

...The fights may have muddied up the Saturday practice, but I still walked away with a few observations from today’s slugfest, errr, practice.

I’ll get to the four different skirmishes as I saw a couple of them up close and personal, but before that it was clear that these two teams had seen enough of one another. All of this had been building since early on day one.

The first drill of the day was one-on-ones with four different quarterbacks throwing on the four different ends of the field. I watched Ryan Mallett and Brian Hoyer throw to their receivers against the Washington defensive backs.

1. WR EZ Nwachukwu had, more than likely, the...

2. The Redskins DBs were extremely physical during that drill and won a number of different reps against the Texans WRs. They didn’t stop all of the Texans’ receivers, though. One receiver that has flown under the radar and...

3. The one receiver that has been like Circle K, always open 24/7, is Nate Washington. The former Steeler/Titan has fit right in with this Houston squad and is definitely a security blanket for the quarterbacks. He let one slip through his hands on 1-on-1s but he must have made six or seven catches during drills the rest of the day, all at different spots/levels on the field.

4. Once the joint team drills started, the powderkeg was ready to blow. I was down near field two where the Texans offense faced the Redskins defense. Af first, it seemed innocuous and wet but nothing seemed to be afoot. Then, rookie tight end Khari Lee made an outstanding catch. He was crossing the deep intermediate area of the field and the ball was thrown behind him. Now, at this point the rain was falling heavily and plenty of receivers had balls go through their hands. Even RB Alfred Blue had fumbled on the first play of team drills. Anyhow, after the catch, the Texans’ offensive guys started cheering for Lee and congratulating him on the catch. At that point, Ben Jones and Redskins DT Chris Baker got into each other’s face and the first “discussion” of the day started.

5. Watching that unfold, it didn’t seem like anything sinister, but not ten seconds later, I looked over to field one and there were Texans defenders running to a mosh pit in the middle of field one. Many of you have seen the ESPN video of Vince Wilfork destroying a Redskins OL and pushing him right back into the Redskins RB. What some couldn’t see was a Redskins offensive player pushing LB Max Bullough right in the back. Bullough didn’t take kindly to the shove and turned around to tell that player just that. Many of the Texans were running off the field when the Redskins player then threw hands at Bullough and it was on. Wilfork and J.J. Watt turned right back around and jumped into the fray. They weren’t alone. It was a mob scene. Wilfork, though, didn’t take kindly at all to the Redskins antics. More on him in a bit.

6. Once both fields got calm again, the two teams went back to work. The Texans run game picked up some nice gains with Chris Polk and Kenny Hilliard registering a couple of solid runs. On Hilliard’s last run, he barreled over a Redskins defender. Now, every run that I saw from Hilliard v. the Redskins this week finished nearly the exact same way - the former LSU product sending a message to any Redskin defender that dare tackle him. Well, the Redskins two defensive backs in the vicinity didn’t take kindly to that action and threw Hilliard to the turf. That incensed Texans OT Aaron Adams who then sprinted down the field and hammered the defensive back which set off the third fight of the day.

7. Four or five Redskins had Jaelen Strong in a head lock, while a few of the Texans OL ran down the field and dropped the People’s Elbow on a Redskins defender.

8. Just prior to that fight in front of us, on field one, Texans DB Kevin Johnson tackled a Redskins ball carrier down low and that angered the Redskins WR. So, yep, you guessed it, the Texans D and Redskins O went at it again, only to be distracted by the fight on field two that we had going on in front of us.

9. Honestly, I’ve seen training camp fights for years but nothing...

10. One thing I heard a Redskins player say later was that the Texans were attacking the run drill a little too aggressively. Not sure there is such a thing - it’s football, by gosh. But, when Bullough got slugged in the head, the second year inside linebacker didn’t let that slide. I hadn’t really seen the interior guys get into it much over the three days but they certainly did on Saturday.

11. After the skirmishes ended, O’Brien and Redskins’ head coach Jay Gruden sent each team to time out. Or, better put, the Texans came over to field two, while the Redskins continued their workout in front of their fans on field one. The one thing that I’ll remember more than anything was how charged up Vince Wilfork was once the Texans all walked over to field two. I couldn’t hear or decipher exactly what he said, but there was one voice speaking over the din of the moment and it was Wilfork. The man has been through battles upon battles against all kinds of teams but today, it was different. The Texans seem to rally around what he was saying; heck, I would have if I weren’t old, slow and retired from football.

12. Another guy who was as animated as I’ve ever seen him following the four fights was Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel. Typically, he’s completely calm, under control and never frazzled in the slightest. I don’t know if I’ve seen him yell much at a practice. When the Texans resumed workouts, Coach Crennel was the loudest person on the field. I loved it. It’s out of character for him, but it truly seemed to fit the moment, if you will.

13. CB Charles James continues to make plays in practice, although he had some shaky moments earlier in the week v. the Redskins. He had a few great breaks on the ball and blanketed a deep route running receiver later in the practice v. his own squad. As the ball was thrown his way, it slipped right through his mitts. Immediately, a couple of Texans DBs reminded James that the drop was costly. The Charleston Southern alum just flashed that million dollar smile, knowing that he would soon have to contribute to the Defensive Back Bad Hands fund.

14. RB Chris Polk returned to practice today and had a couple of...

15. I mentioned tight end Khari Lee earlier in observations and he...

16. S Corey Moore had a number of quality...
Well, that wraps it up from Richmond, VA and the Washington Redskins Training Facility. The team travels on Sunday back home to Houston and has Monday off. Tuesday morning, the Texans get back on the practice field to prepare for the first preseason game of the year v. the San Francisco 49ers. Be sure to check out www.houstontexans.com for articles, photo galleries, videos and interviews from our past few days in Richmond. See ya’ on Tuesday, everyone!

Last edited:
Your point is invalid because he is currently lifting his opponent off the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your point is invalid because he is currently lifting his opponent off the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is valid because he is still standing wrong. He got by with this one as he is stronger; that is not always the case. You don't let a player get by with poor technique simply because he won that play.

It is valid because he is still standing wrong. He got by with this one as he is stronger; that is not always the case. You don't let a player get by with poor technique simply because he won that play.

It's not a play, though; it's the fight that took place after Hilliard blew up some rookie safety.

Maybe this has been explained before, but why do the Texans wear logo-less helmets in practice?

Maybe this has been explained before, but why do the Texans wear logo-less helmets in practice?

Several teams in the league make players "earn" their logo...Not sure if this is O'Brien's reason, but it is common enough around the league.

It's O'Brien driving a point that you have to "earn" the logo and nothing is ever given to you. It was used last year to change the culture from Kubiak's obvious favoritism toward undeserving vets, and I guess it's just something O'Brien wants to keep doing. It has a bit of a college football feeling to it, but I have no problem with it.

Several teams in the league make players "earn" their logo...
So Watt and Cushing haven't "earned" their logo? Has a letterman jacket feel to it. Maybe the coaches shouldn't be allowed to wear the logo on their hats just yet?

So Watt and Cushing haven't "earned" their logo? Has a letterman jacket feel to it. Maybe the coaches shouldn't be allowed to wear the logo on their hats just yet?

Even if Watt and Cushing had won a "Superb Owl" -- and they haven't -- you still have to earn that logo every year. I can understand the reasoning behind that. And Watt himself says you have to go out and prove it every day. Try to get better than the day before. That when you feel like you have finally made it, is when you will begin to decline.

Surprised you haven't seen this before. I think Parcells did it with the Cowboys and I've seen it around the league a few other times. I think it's real hokey.

Pay me millions a year, but make me earn the logo before it can be put on my helmet......Millions, logo, millions logo yeah we you can keep your logo until week 1.

That's what I said last year when OB came in with the temp lockers, no logo helmets, & no name jerseys.... feels like highschool all over again.

Really? We're complaining about training camp practices not having helmets with logos and jerseys with names?

What do JJ, Vince and and DBrown have to say about it?

Back