Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Trade Picks 47 & 78 for Phillip Buchanan

I agree, but disagree. This draft is one of the deepest as far as players with potential that we have seen in 5 years. True there is a lack of star quality throughout the draft with maybe only 5 or 6 players that would be 1st round picks anyway, but three of the corners in this years draft will be pretty good. I like the trade, from all standpoints, Buchanan is young, fast, aggressive, can return kicks, and has a low cap figure. Those point right there make him worth it. Now will his attitude change or will he be a cancer if he does not get what he wants. But look at it this way a 700,000 cancer is pretty benign and we can trade his *** if we dont like him. GREAT TRADE TEXANS!!!

Just finished the thread. Wow, look at the discussion this trade generated. I like this trade a lot. PB is an explosive playmaker that with Hoke and AG tutelage can become a star.

I'm starting to see a much different defense coming next year. I think Dom is getting ready to "unleash Hell" on other offenses. I picture that scene from Gladiator, and see Peek, Babin, DRob, etc. smacking QBs to the ground. If by chance a pass gets out, then AG, PB, Coleman getting the pick and taking it yard. This is exciting! Trolls can say what they want, next year is gonna be fun.

Texan in Japan let's not get ahead of ourselves, we are still quite unproven, but you are right that PB is a gamebreaker.

Phillip is a play maker he was at the U of Miami and he was when he was a in oakland, but he didn't get along with turner (it happens) He is a great pick up for this team and the texans didn't give up that much considering his talent level. He may not be a very good tackeler but he can KR/PR very well he is good in man to man coverage and hes not a rookie. He is very fast and he will be solid for this team. I am a buffalo bills fan and I would have loved to pick this guy up. Great pick up good job in the front office of the texans. Trust me the office did the right thing. And you can still try and pick up Derrick Johnson if still avial or a WR to pair along side Johnson.. You all are looking to be a much stronger team this year in your D and that should have a lot of teams concerned.

the way i look at it is that the raiders haven't had really good coaches in years...gruden was a good head coach but as far as assistants i think they've come up short for many years...john hoke is one of the best in my mind...it seems like every year we are barely keeping him from getting other jobs around the league or in college...personally i'd like to see hoke as our d. coordinator but that's just me...hoke and glenn can mold this guy into a great corner and glenn's eventual replacement...glenn at 33-34 years of age this season is about the age where you start looking at retirement...and personally i'd rather have his replacement already here instead of hopeing to get the right guy in the draft...another thing to keep in mind is with glenn's age comes his groin injury that seems to be bothering him every once in awhile...last year he seemed ok but the year before he was put on IR because of it...if he went down this year and we didn't have buchanan we'd be in a mess come time to play the colts...now we wouldn't miss a beat

:woot In my viewpoint the Raiders spent a first on Woodson and Buchanon. This should be a top notch pair of CBs . If this is not the case its probably not on the players . Buchanon ran a 4.31 at the combine in 2002 .

Some interesting info from GBN on 2002 draft results...

http://www.gbnreport.com/draftgrades02.htm

Oakland: Bolstered by all those extra picks acquired in the deal with Tampa Bay for the rights to former head coach Jon Gruden, the Raiders led the league in premium picks at 2002 draft. And the Raiders made it pay off with a draft class that looks like it provide a number long-time NFL starters. CB Phil Buchanon, the first of two Raiders' #1 picks, for example, stepped into the starting lineup when Pro Bowler Charles Woodson went out with an injury and was outstanding before being injured himself; Buchanon should combine with Woodson to give the Raiders the NFL's best shutdown CB combo for years to come. And as an added bonus, Buchanon doubled as a top punt returner. Meanwhile, LB Napoleon Harris, the Raiders' other first-round selection, started at MLB since the opening of the season and did not look out of place, finishing fourth on the team with 82 tackles. The Raiders also look they got a couple of keepers in the second round in OT Langston Walker and TE Doug Jolley. Walker was considered to be something of a project when drafted, but the Cal graduate more than held his own is two starts as an emergency injury replacement early in the season. For his part, Jolley really came on late in the season and provided QB Rich Gannon with a reliable outlet target. At the same time, though, the Raiders got almost nothing from players selected in the later rounds. Grade: A

Top 10 defensive rookies # Player Pos Team Rd
1 Julius Peppers DE Carolina 1
2 Roy Williams SS Dallas 1
3 Dwight Freeney DE Indianapolis 1
4 Edward Reed FS Baltimore 1
5 Phil Buchanon CB Oakland 1
6 Coy Wire SS Buffalo 3
7 Derek Ross CB Dallas 3
8 Marques Anderson SS Green Bay 3
9 Napoleon Harris LB Oakland 1
10 Carlos Hall DE Tennessee 7

Vinny said:
Our second and third rounds this year will end up with Phillip Buchannon and someone else. We shall see. We are going to end up with 3 players in this 3 round first day draft on Saturday, and we already know one of them.

Vin - I was a Casserly critic before this trade, and this has dione nothing but cement my opinion.

Before this trade happened, I thought Casserly managed his personnel as if he was on the cusp of winning a championship. When you're a young expansion team building quality within your starting 22, you don't draft second and third string QB's and punt snappers imo. You also don't give up 3 quality picks for a late first rounder that 20 plus teams passed on.

You know if you feel like your one player away, "The Window is Open", the ol Reese mantra...then maybe you give away too much for that specific need. But the Texans just aren't there in the cycle yet. Casserly's been impatient...maybe he is feeling the pressure to win now and he's mortgaging the long term.

When you look at the cb movement this off season, with Samari walking for nothing, Surtain unable to garner serious investment, second tier guys like Dyson garnering little interest, and then consider Buchanon's less than consistent play, and woeful attitude, the great depth of CB in this draft...this is a real headshaker for me.

This trade was worth it, He is better than samari rolle better than an injured TY Law and younger and will be better than surtain. The texans are building a great young team and by next year we should know where they stand amoung the nfl. The just need to pick up a good saftey and one more solid LB and a good second rec for AJ. I am telling you the Texans office is doing a good job this offseason and they got a steal for PB

CanadianTitansFan said:
When you look at the cb movement this off season, with Samari walking for nothing, Surtain unable to garner serious investment, second tier guys like Dyson garnering little interest, and then consider Buchanon's less than consistent play, and woeful attitude, the great depth of CB in this draft...this is a real headshaker for me.

You would think Titans' fans might have learned something from their recent cap problems, like hellooo, there is one in the NFL. Every team in the league knew the Titans would be dumping all sorts of starters including Rolle due to the cap so why trade for him? Rolle will be 29 when the season begins and just received an $11 mil signing bonus and a contract that will pay $18 mil over his 1st three years. Surtain is 29 vs. 24 and carrying a $5.85 mil cap hit vs. $700k. There is a reason Dyson is garnering little interest. Still scratching your head?

I love this trade! :thumbup PB is only 24, only has a hit of $700,000 in our cap this year, and with AG as a tutor he can turn out to be amazing. The guy ran a freaking 4.3 40! This is some incredible speed. I cant wait to see the face of Peyton Manning when Harrison, Wayne, and Stokley are all getting shut down by man 2 man coverage while we blitz 7 in his face! Of course we will have Coleman over the top just in case, but if we blitz enough up the middle and pressure him like the Pats, he wont have time to throw. :heh:

IMO the trade was a good one. Many of the critics are saying that he was inconsitent at Oakland but I think that was due to a poor front 7. The emphasis on speed at LB and the ability to pressure the QB will drastically improve the play of our secondary.

I agree with Davis37. Keep in mind that the Texans play in the AFC South (with pass-happy teams like INDY, JAX & TEN) so there is a need for 3 and 4 quality CBs because a #3&4 CB will be on the field half the time, not just on 3rd & long situations.

Also, has anyone noticed the salary-cap dumps? The fact that the Texans do not have to pay the signing bonus for PB (just the $700k & 800K base over the next two years), might suggest something else in the near future.

Another thing, if the Secondary can't keep the WRs in check, how is the pass rush going to work?

In the end, I feel that 2nd rd & 3rd rd picks were a bit much, but maybe that was the only way to get a top CB that will only cost $1.5mil against the salary cap over the next two years. I wonder what happens this weekend now!

SoCalRaider said:
I'll need to sleep on this... all I know is that the Chiefs were offering a 4th for Surtain and we just got a 2nd and 3rd for Buchanon.

The reason that the Chiefs can get Surtain for a cheap pick is his salary cap hit. A second reason is age. Surtain has a lot more mileage on him. Surtain might end up being waived (for salary cap reasons) if they cannot trade him anyway. Saban is just trying to get some kind of value for him. Meanwhile, Buchanon has a low rookie contract and is young.

We win on this deal, but i need someone to supply the specific dollars to prove it.

1. drafting is about projecting and potential. So, if you value the 2nd and 3rd round picks, it's because you think that we can get someone with potential. Well, that is exactly what Buchanon brings. Proven physical skills. Playmaker. To say that he is a bust for the rest of his NFL career is crazy. He has not made the immediate impact of a Dunta Robinson, but few do.

2. Let's talk dollars. We know that Buchanon will cost us about $1.5MM for 2 years. That's fact.

--- Someone tell us what the rough cap hit would be for our 2nd and 3rd round pick. I'll be willing to bet a lot of money that it is significantly more than what Buchanon will cost.

--- Further to the point on dollars: the Salary Cap is about opportunity cost. The true analysis of this trade is to compare the 2nd and 3rd round picks with Buchanon and what we can get with the money we saved under the cap.

If someone will plug in the numbers, I think this should end the debate.

TheOgre said:
The reason that the Chiefs can get Surtain for a cheap pick is his salary cap hit. A second reason is age. Surtain has a lot more mileage on him. Surtain might end up being waived (for salary cap reasons) if they cannot trade him anyway. Saban is just trying to get some kind of value for him. Meanwhile, Buchanon has a low rookie contract and is young.

Ogre is absolutley correct :thumbup also since pb was such a recent draft pick I'm sure Casserly and company scouted him in 2002 and probably rated him higher than any CB who would be available in this draft @ #13. for only a 2nd and 3rd round pick!

MikeMc said:
I agree with Davis37. Keep in mind that the Texans play in the AFC South (with pass-happy teams like INDY, JAX & TEN) so there is a need for 3 and 4 quality CBs because a #3&4 CB will be on the field half the time, not just on 3rd & long situations.

Also, has anyone noticed the salary-cap dumps? The fact that the Texans do not have to pay the signing bonus for PB (just the $700k & 800K base over the next two years), might suggest something else in the near future.

Another thing, if the Secondary can't keep the WRs in check, how is the pass rush going to work?

In the end, I feel that 2nd rd & 3rd rd picks were a bit much, but maybe that was the only way to get a top CB that will only cost $1.5mil against the salary cap over the next two years. I wonder what happens this weekend now!

Thanks Mike. Some people are saying that we overpayed for PB. The 2nd and 3rd round picks we traded for him are valuable but I think he is worth alot more. His is a young, fast, playmaker, that only costs us 700k and 800k for 2 years... That saves us alot of cap room to make some FA additions.

You have never heard of SHOWTIME ? Phillip was the top corner in his draft and he played at the U of Miami there make Players there (Great football program)

Yankee_In_TX said:
I don't really know anything about $ and cents of football.

But my naive little self cannot imagine trading a #2 and a #3 for someone I've never heard of and comes with bad vibes.

someone you've never heard of?? I don't understand fans like you. You obviously don't pay attention to football: college or pro. It's safe to say you are not qualified to pass any judgement on any football decision that the team makes.

Andre_Johnson80 said:
Phillip was the top corner in his draft and he played at the U of Miami there make Players there (Great football program)

I think Jammer was the top CB, but PB was second off the board.

I refer to UM (Miami) as "The Factory". They roll out top NFL players better than any other college these days. How many NFL busts do you see from there?

TheOgre said:
I refer to UM (Miami) as "The Factory". They roll out top NFL players better than any other college these days. How many NFL busts do you see from there?

Bust isn't in the vocab of the U of Miami..... Anyone who is anyone that wan't to go pro would love to go to that school.. They are a top flight organization..

wags said:
I think Jammer was the top CB, but PB was second off the board.

Jammer was the top CB actually taken, but Buchanon was projected by many as the 1st CB who would be taken. San Diego liked Jammer's size and took him.

Vernon Carey comes to mind as a UM bust, but he's only been in the league one year. Couldn't even crack the starting lineup for the Dolphins' terrible O-line during their mail-it-in 2004 season. (Hmmm....he hasn't proved his worth as a starter on the O-line, so maybe in '05 they'll label him a "project" and plop him into a permanent starting role early. Wait, that was another team I was thinking about. :heh: )

Anyway, you're right about UM. They are without a doubt one of the best developmental programs for pro football. There are not many busts out there from their high-round draftees. I just hope that PB will grow into the kind of UM guy that Andre Johnson is already. Bring the attitude on the field, but don't be a knucklehead off the field.

I'm uneasy about PB's attitude, but overall I think this was an interesting move with a lot of potential.

infantrycak said:
Jammer was the top CB actually taken, but Buchanon was projected by many as the 1st CB who would be taken. San Diego liked Jammer's size and took him.

Jammer hasn't been anything special for a 5th overal pick.. SD just has back luck with corners Quintin Jammer, Sammy Davis and the trade for Jamar Fletcher none of three are anything special.. They need to address that with one of there early picks this year they need a shut down croner they allow to many passing yards and it hurts them big time.. There corners never produce that many INTS either..

Hey guys. Came here last night to see what was up and decided I had to chime in. I'm a fan of this trade because of all of the athletic ability that Buchanon brings to the table... And trust me, as a lifetime Florida State Seminole and current student (and certainly the ONLY Texans fan from the beginning anywhere on this campus), I know that PB is absolutely legit when he wants to. No one's mentioned this yet, but doesn't it kinda seem like this is the end for Aaron Glenn and not the beginning of PB as a 3rd DB? Seems like I remember hearing talk about cutting Glenn right around the time we cut Sharper, and a June 1 cut really wouldn't surprise me. Wondering if someone here knows something that I don't about Glenn's status.

Here's to Marcus Spears at #13.

infantrycak said:
but Buchanon was projected by many as the 1st CB who would be taken.

That's weird because Jammer was taken 5th overall. If Buchanan was rated that high you would think he would have gone closer to the top ten or someone would have traded up for him.

TexanExile said:
Vernon Carey comes to mind as a UM bust, but he's only been in the league one year. Couldn't even crack the starting lineup for the Dolphins' terrible O-line during their mail-it-in 2004 season. (Hmmm....he hasn't proved his worth as a starter on the O-line, so maybe in '05 they'll label him a "project" and plop him into a permanent starting role early. Wait, that was another team I was thinking about. :heh: )

Anyway, you're right about UM. They are without a doubt one of the best developmental programs for pro football. There are not many busts out there from their high-round draftees. I just hope that PB will grow into the kind of UM guy that Andre Johnson is already. Bring the attitude on the field, but don't be a knucklehead off the field.

I'm uneasy about PB's attitude, but overall I think this was an interesting move with a lot of potential.

PB is good, is Robinson had a good year last year look for PB to out perform him, Phillip is SHOWTIME and will provide may good highlights on ESPN Primetime through out the season.

Andre_Johnson80 said:
They need to address that with one of there early picks this year they need a shut down croner they allow to many passing yards and it hurts them big time..

Their GM said in an interview that their pass rush was the problem.

wags said:
That's weird because Jammer was taken 5th overall. If Buchanan was rated that high you would think he would have gone closer to the top ten or someone would have traded up for him.

I think people where worried about his size, PB isn't that great as a tackler but he can cover very well and has the speed to recover when beat.. and a game breaker in the returning game

Think about some of the other UM guys to come out as your prototypical "thug" and turn into something big in the NFL. Not that I'm directly making this comparison, but Ray Ray was a pretty big thug coming out of college, as was Shockey. Won't even mention Ed Reed and all of his problems off of the field. But yes, looking at the recent talent to come out of the U... Heck, Vilma and Williams last year right there with Dunta for DROY. And for a Nole, I was screaming for Vince Wilfork last year... Now I'm screaming for Baron or Travis Johnson, but as a realist, Spears at 13 would be a great fit for us and a tremendous 3-4 end.

arm03c said:
Hey guys. Came here last night to see what was up and decided I had to chime in. I'm a fan of this trade because of all of the athletic ability that Buchanon brings to the table... And trust me, as a lifetime Florida State Seminole and current student (and certainly the ONLY Texans fan from the beginning anywhere on this campus), I know that PB is absolutely legit when he wants to. No one's mentioned this yet, but doesn't it kinda seem like this is the end for Aaron Glenn and not the beginning of PB as a 3rd DB? Seems like I remember hearing talk about cutting Glenn right around the time we cut Sharper, and a June 1 cut really wouldn't surprise me. Wondering if someone here knows something that I don't about Glenn's status.

Here's to Marcus Spears at #13.

PB will be starting over Glenn, Glenn is pretty much in the same boat as Sharper

arm03c said:
Think about some of the other UM guys to come out as your prototypical "thug" and turn into something big in the NFL. Not that I'm directly making this comparison, but Ray Ray was a pretty big thug coming out of college, as was Shockey. Won't even mention Ed Reed and all of his problems off of the field. But yes, looking at the recent talent to come out of the U... Heck, Vilma and Williams last year right there with Dunta for DROY. And for a Nole, I was screaming for Vince Wilfork last year... Now I'm screaming for Baron or Travis Johnson, but as a realist, Spears at 13 would be a great fit for us and a tremendous 3-4 end.

I swear somethings in the water down in Miami, they are un Real

I'm just afraid that we're gonna let Glenn go come June 1. He's meant a lot to this organization since coming into the league and it'd be a shame to just cast him away, especially since I'm pretty sure we're in a decent cap situation for now, though when Johnson and Carr's contracts get bigger, that might change.

Also, are we pretty much casting off Davis after this year with all of this talk about Benson at 13?

I can see it, as JJ Moses has had some trouble parting the sea and making it to the opposite shore, We have given someone else a chance to take his spot. We also have a back up so we do not need to keep the loser. And the backup can back up Glenn when he gets winded after taking a ball to the house.

arm03c said:
Yeah, steroids, drugs, and hookers... lol... jk.

Come on man, don't be made bc they always beat you up a little bit :rolleyes: jk I love watching my Canes play your noles.. and it great living in florida you get to see the game everytime they play.. Always a good game no dought

Seems to me the OLine did a good enough job this past year opening holes through zone blocking for Davis, though admittingly, the only Texans games I actually got to watch on TV were the two Jags games and the Sunday nighter. At least statistically they were fine. DD had his second straight pretty good year, and we're talking about a running back? Situation almost reminds me of TJ Duckett to the Falcons or maybe better yet, Ron Dayne to the Giants.

Williamson would also be a nice fit at 13 to go across from Johnson and send Jabar "Let me stick the ball out 2 yards before the goalline" Gaffney to the slot. Seems like Williamson would step in immediately and have a big impact, getting Carr to 20 TDs for the first time in his career.

beerlover said:
if in fact this trade is legit then why is there no posting by the Texans :confused: this is starting to feel like April Fools all over again :wacko:

It's all over the place, ESPN, NFL.com, Profootballtalk.com its crazy.. Trust me its legit.

Toxicology said:
2. Let's talk dollars. We know that Buchanon will cost us about $1.5MM for 2 years. That's fact.

--- Someone tell us what the rough cap hit would be for our 2nd and 3rd round pick. I'll be willing to bet a lot of money that it is significantly more than what Buchanon will cost.

--- Further to the point on dollars: the Salary Cap is about opportunity cost. The true analysis of this trade is to compare the 2nd and 3rd round picks with Buchanon and what we can get with the money we saved under the cap.

If someone will plug in the numbers, I think this should end the debate.

Phillip Buchanon: $700k 2005, $800k 2006

From last year's draft (add about 10% for this year):
#47--5 year deal, $1.725 mil signing bonus, $280k base 2004 (1st year of deal), $342 k base 2005. Total 1st year with 10% factored in--$688k. 2nd year--$756k
#78--can't find Bernard Berrian's deal from last year but based on Peek's figures something like 3 years, $680k signing bonus (adjusted for 2 years of increase), league minimum salaries, around $235k 1st year, $315k 2nd year. Total 1st year--$462k. Total 2nd year--$542.

Approximate total cap of #47 & #78--1st year, $1.15 mil--2nd year, $1.298 mil.

Basically a mil cheaper over the next two years, but after that will be more expensive than the final years of the draft picks would be--at least so long as he plays to his potential.

Andre_Johnson80 said:
Come on man, don't be made bc they always beat you up a little bit :rolleyes: jk I love watching my Canes play your noles.. and it great living in florida you get to see the game everytime they play.. Always a good game no dought

Hey now... I made the roadie down the Miami last year and swear I'll never do it again. Bring that back into the Doak this year and we'll see what happens!

Also, just out of curiosity... and sorry if I seem a bit out of touch with the news of late, but is Greenwood going to play ILB or OLB? And if it's ILB, will it be him and Wong inside and Babin and either Peek or pick 13 outside?

arm03c said:
Seems to me the OLine did a good enough job this past year opening holes through zone blocking for Davis, though admittingly, the only Texans games I actually got to watch on TV were the two Jags games and the Sunday nighter. At least statistically they were fine. DD had his second straight pretty good year, and we're talking about a running back? Situation almost reminds me of TJ Duckett to the Falcons or maybe better yet, Ron Dayne to the Giants.

Williamson would also be a nice fit at 13 to go across from Johnson and send Jabar "Let me stick the ball out 2 yards before the goalline" Gaffney to the slot. Seems like Williamson would step in immediately and have a big impact, getting Carr to 20 TDs for the first time in his career.

Williamson is sick, he would be a good fit to very fast rec in Texans uniforms that would be great.. by side the fact that they play my Bills in the home opener in Buffalo. Losman starting his first game facing DR & PB worries me but i think it will be a great game.

arm03c said:
Hey now... I made the roadie down the Miami last year and swear I'll never do it again. Bring that back into the Doak this year and we'll see what happens!

Also, just out of curiosity... and sorry if I seem a bit out of touch with the news of late, but is Greenwood going to play ILB or OLB? And if it's ILB, will it be him and Wong inside and Babin and either Peek or pick 13 outside?

He played LOLB in Miami he might do that for the Texans as well to incress the pass rush. They can always move Babin to the DE pos like he played in College.

O don't you worry there will be plenty of games in the doak and for years to come. Most def one of the best riverly games to watch in college football.

they will keep Glenn this season(and possibly trade him or get him to lower his cost down the road), they are stocking their prevent defense for Indy

Back