Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Trade Picks 47 & 78 for Phillip Buchanan

Guys this was a horrible move for the Texans. They could have drafted any number of cornerbacks in the 2nd round that could turn out just as well or better than Buchanon. Now you get a head case that can't cover anyone, and you lost a 3rd rounder as well. Although you proved last year how little you value draft picks when you got ripped off by the Titans for Jason Babin, an average linebacker/defensive end/whatever.....one thing he's not is worth 3 draft picks...

Randy Starks will make you regret that trade for a long, long time.

My two cents:

BAD MOVE! A young team losing a second AND a third for someone who isn't of the best character, and has a large ego, is not a good thing. Now you have one impact draft pick this year, and this is a draft filled with unsure players.

As a colts fan, I should be happy you did this, but I want to see you guys continuously improve, and IMO, this is the wrong way to do that.

aj. said:
It's our second and the lower of our two 3rd rounders.

Even a 2 and a 3 is ok in my book. We still have our #1 and #73 - that's two picks on Day 1. Normally you have three but we had four thanks to the Henson deal which in part, makes this possible. Consider Buchanon a Day 1 pick and now we don't have to worry about CB on Day 1. Raider fans in here arguing about it tells me everything is ok with this.

Capers and Casserly aren't dumb about locker room chemistry. It wouldn't surprise me if they talked to Glenn ahead of time about this.
to say this is DENIAL. Casserly was robbed once again.

aj. said:
I bet it's a second and one of the thirds. One good thing is he comes cheap.

PB

Very nice call A.J. I'm a happy camper. Looks sweet to me. Did Glenn Earl get hurt or something I've missed. I keep seeing people on the boards sticking SS into the mocks. He's ok right ?

Although you proved last year how little you value draft picks when you got ripped off by the Titans for Jason Babin, an average defensive end...

We will find out in another year or two if Babin is an average OLB.

FatBoyTim said:
Glenn is a June 1 cut for sure now...

As much as I hate to admit it FBT may be right. Glenns days may be numbered. What does he count against the cap this year if he stays/goes after June 1???

Youngstown Colt said:
My two cents:

BAD MOVE! A young team losing a second AND a third for someone who isn't of the best character, and has a large ego, is not a good thing. Now you have one impact draft pick this year, and this is a draft filled with unsure players.

As a colts fan, I should be happy you did this, but I want to see you guys continuously improve, and IMO, this is the wrong way to do that.
I smell fear. I would too if I had to face Buchanan, Faggins, D-Rob and Glenn...

:heh:

ojthecat said:
Horrible move??? What are you taking about. In this league and in our division you must have 2 shutdown corners. This gives up DR on oneside and PB on the other this is great we can now go after a RB and or a WR and we are a real threat to make the playoffs. This year and next and the next. This is GREAT
so the PATS had two shut down CB holding the colts to 3? Your a maroon if you buy that. The front 7 is the key. And the texans just took a giant step back. First last yrs trade and now this. It is inexcusable to trade 2 picks for one for a guy who has been a bust.

Vandemeer just said the Redskins were considering the 9th overall pick and thier second round pick for Buchannon...this cant me true... :hmmm:

I've asked a few Raider fans on other boards their opinions of Buchanon, and the concensus is that he has the makings of an outstanding corner who suffered from not having a good pass rush...Also, one person went so far as to compare his kick return skills to those of Dante Hall, but suggested that he didn't do so well last year because he was unhappy in Oakland and that was his way of getting back at him...If we keep his attitude in check, we could have one of the best CB tandems in the NFL for the next 8 years...If we don't, he's gone in two, so no big deal...

texan279 said:
Something like, "Hey you guys, did you hear we signed Kyle Vanden Bosch! Our season is saved!"
This is what their off-season fun amounts to. Bashing our moves since they don't have any.

It is inexcusable to trade 2 picks for one for a guy who has been a bust.

In 36 appearances with the Raiders, Buchanon totaled 122 tackles, 11 interceptions and 13 passes defensed. He returned four interceptions for touchdowns, at least one in every season of his brief career. He is also a dangerous punt returner, averaging 11.0 yards with three touchdowns on 72 runbacks. A bust? :hmmm:

This all but assures the Texans will be trading down in the first to get one of those picks back. I like Baas late in round one plus maybe another early third or late second and I am a big fan of this trade. I think JJ Moses's days are numbered with Swinton and now Buccanon Texans.

texan279 said:
In 36 appearances with the Raiders, Buchanon totaled 122 tackles, 11 interceptions and 13 passes defensed. He returned four interceptions for touchdowns, at least one in every season of his brief career. He is also a dangerous punt returner, averaging 11.0 yards with three touchdowns on 72 runbacks. A bust? :hmmm:

My thoughts exactly . I think this will end up being a good trade on our part . Sometimes all a guy needs is a change of scenery to step up his game ....... the Astros know this all too well . :heh:

although i dont completely agree with this trade, there is one good thing that comes out of it....Buchanon is a pretty decent return man. We just signed Swinton, and now Buchanon, so J.J. is gonna have a lot of competition this pre-season. hopefully one of these guys will step it up and give us a threat for a TD return on special teams.

i for one love this trade...this gives us aaron glenn's replacement, a fast returner, and exciting player to watch...we gave up two picks for him...seeing how our history of 2nd and 3rd round picks are i'm not fretting about this trade...if he can mature with john hoke and capers along with glenn's guidance he can be a real impact for us...i know some of ya'll are worried about him being a cancer but look at it this way...we're paying him 700,000 this year and 800,000 next year...if we don't like him...we can get rid of him with little to no big cap hits

texan279 said:
He also gave away maybe 30 to 40 TDs ?

Well this was an exciting play, but it's going to empty out the excitement during the middle of Saturday.

Everyone here at home is excited. Mark was excited on FSN just a minute ago.

I have a feeling they aren't intending PB for returning punts. Especially if he's injury-prone.

Sorry, but a 3rd AND a 2nd is just way too much for Buchanon. The guy isn't that strong on the field and he is trouble in the lockerroom.

I hope whatever the Texans GM sees in Buchanon comes to fruition because if it doesn't you boys just got raped.

That snake oil salesman cryptkeeper Al Davis must have really used some strong magic to pull this one off.

I have all the faith in the world in Charlie Casserly. He has seen something that nobody else has so I fully expect Buccanon to come in and be an impact player for us. :thumbup

Youngstown Colt said:
He probably passed it off as a deathbed wish. To bad people like him never die

LOL! What do you expect from someone who drinks embalming fluid as a nightcap?

We basically gave up a 2nd round pick for a starting NFL cornerback who will also function as punt returner. Pretty dang good deal to me :thumbup

Shader said:
Guys this was a horrible move for the Texans. They could have drafted any number of cornerbacks in the 2nd round that could turn out just as well or better than Buchanon. Now you get a head case that can't cover anyone, and you lost a 3rd rounder as well.

I disagree with this. After the first ten picks they are all **** games. It's tough enough to pick a cover corner in the first round much less the third. The raiders pass rush resembled dinner call at the old folks home. It was worse than ours. I've been screamin' for a playmaker in the defensive back feild on this board for two years. PB ain't ST, but he'll do.

Shader said:
Although you proved last year how little you value draft picks when you got ripped off by the Titans for Jason Babin, an average linebacker/defensive end/whatever.....one thing he's not is worth 3 draft picks...

Randy Starks will make you regret that trade for a long, long time.

Wrong again, CC in hindsight had a very nice draft, last year. Babin looked great against the run. He's just a babe. Give him a chance. After twenty years of coachin' the 3-4 you figgure Capers can pick 'em. My projection for Babin is 8+ sacks in 2005. I'd a lot rather be in the Texan's position right now than the Titants. Lean times a comin' in the collosium. Randy Starks never ever, will be a d-lineman in the 3-4. Amen. He just ain't big enough. Nice three DT in the 4-3 though. Get over it.

Tulip said:
I have a feeling they aren't intending PB for returning punts. Especially if he's injury-prone.

Please... Buchanon was born to return punts. Swinton will handle kickoffs. Buchanon is going to be our nickelback to start out the season anyway.

AndroidRaider24 said:
last 8 games he gave up countless TD' ... where you watching the same guy ?

AndroidRaider24 said:
He also gave away maybe 30 to 40 TDs ?

well..thats nice but this guy seems to have evidence..:

SoCalRaider said:
I've got tapes of 6 of the last 8 games. Feel free to point me to which games you have in mind I'll look them up right now.

Youngstown Colt said:
My two cents:

That is exactly why this is a good trade. We have added a young experience starter that is going to not only add another roster spot, but fill the eventual HUGE hole of Glen at the cost of just a second and a third, instead of taking a chance on a unsure player.

everyone hates al davis like he is the devil...haha...he might just be...but i for one like him...he's ruthless in the way he conducts business...he's one of those guys were you love to hate him...the classic villian...i love what the guy does for football...he makes the game exciting to watch...i fully understand why a charger fan would hate him though...to tell you the truth if he was in our division i'm sure i would hate his guts just as much as any of the charger fans do...as for buchanan...i love his talent and maybe getting him away from the underacheiving woodson is what he needs to turn his career into something memorialable...remember this guy is for the U

HAHAHA all of that coming from a team that signed the entire Cleveland Browns D-line this past offseason???? Give me a break.

I dunno... doesn't turn 25 until September but already has 3 years of experience in the NFL - might be a pretty sweet deal for us !

Also the fact that all our divisional rivals felt like they had to jump over here and comment on this trade, good or bad, tells me all I need to know. :thumbup

Wow @ 130 people viewing this thread...We haven't seen anything like this since the epic "Orlando Pace Visits With Texans" thread from a month ago...

I made that comment about him not returning punts because it seems to me that the Texans like their returners as far down the depth chart as possible.

Vinny said:
Greenwood and Buchannon are both as fast as they come at their positions. We are obviously looking to upgrade speed for sure this off-season.

Agree! I started a thread a while ago about the need for speed...this reinforces our earlier efforts. Buchannon is also a playmaker--4TDs in 2004. Insane return yards after INTs that yr.

all i have to say is this makes payton mannings job a lot harder...hopefully this is the means to an end of our losing ways to the colts

AndroidRaider24 said:

Well Arnold, all I'll say about this is we'll see who hits the championship game first. I'll take the bird in the hand myself. My best advise to you is keep checking the obits. Your road back to the SB begins the day weird Al gives up the ghost. JMHO.

keyfro said:
all i have to say is this makes payton mannings job a lot harder...hopefully this is the means to an end of our losing ways to the colts
i can see him combating Stokely's speed well.

I too am a huge fan of this trade. Also to the guys saying that Babin was a bust, Babin had 63 tackles 51 solo and 4 sacks as a rookie and Capers compares him to Kevin Greene. Capers also did say that Babin was ahead of Kevin Greene at their same points in their careers.

I also think we don't need to trade up and get Derrick Johnson. I would love to have him but I also believe our linebacking corp is going to better than last years.

Go Texans and great job CC!!!

TigerBait said:
well..thats nice but this guy seems to have evidence..:
Well here you go week 8 : Charles Woodson is out, and guess whos the starter , P-Burnt he lets Brees pass 281 and 5 TDs, 3 agiasnt him, Parker had 6 catches for 91 yards agiant him, week 9, hes the starter agian he lets Muhammed catch 8catches for 94 yards, and lets Delhome throw 2 Tds on him, Week 11 , hes is suppose to cover Kennan due to Woodson being on Gates , he lets him cath it 7 times for 91 yards and gives up a TD to Brees, week 13 E. Kennison has 8 catches 149 yards on him and a TD, week 15, he gives up 13catches for 160 yards and 3 TDs to Drew Bennit, also last year he was benched for giving all 4 TDs to Farve on a monday night game...

well in all fairness...look at ya'lls front seven...they were horrible...ya'll were running a 3-4 defense without any 3-4 linebackers and sapp isn't a 3-4 lineman...brees had all day to throw the ball and i dont' care how good a corner is...if he has to cover a reciever for more than 4 seconds he's gonna get burned because the reciever always has the upper hand

Back