Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Trade Picks 47 & 78 for Phillip Buchanan

TopTexanFan16 said:
lol 2 raider fans arguing on a texans message board...priceless but seriously how good is he? and y would we trade for im assuming a high profile player when we have robinson and glenn....even though glenn is gettin old
Buchanon's game has come a long way this past season. 2 years ago he was picked on routinely. He was not very impressive in the 1st half of 2004, but in the 2nd half of the season he really picked his play in terms of both range and consistency. I think he's on pace to be a heck of a corner in this league. I'll be interested to see what the Raiders got in exchange.

This is an odd trade, with the guy we signed in FA + Faggins now + Buchanon + Glenn + D-Rob somebodies gotta be going, don't they?

he should make a good nickelback. By the time his contract is up we should know if he's good enough to take over glenn's spot.

SoCalRaider said:
Deion Sanders couldn't tackle either. How many touchdowns did Buchanon give up over the last 8 games of the regular season?
We were ranked 30th in pass D, he lead the team with most penelties in the secondary, last 8 games he gave up countless TD' ... where you watching the same guy ?

aj. said:
I bet it's a second and one of the thirds. One good thing is he comes cheap.

No great loss if it's the second. We ain't had much luck with them anyway. Anyone got a defensive splits link ? Their reporting their own 47 & the 78th. Starter at corner, very nice job CC.

I think this is a great trade. Look we have to have a way to stop freaking Payton. We need more cb's and db's. This tells me that CC is thinking that we are ready for a real push to the playoffs. Won't suprise me if we make another deal and either move up or trade 13 for a WR or RB.

AndroidRaider24 said:
We were ranked 30th in pass D
Weak point. Pass defense is a function of a pass rush and coverage in the secondary. The Raiders breakdowns in pass defense were a function of an inability to rush the passer and cover TEs.

AndroidRaider24 said:
he lead the team with most penelties in the secondary
Charles Woodson had 7... Buchanon had 2. What are you talking about?

AndroidRaider24 said:
last 8 games he gave up countless TD'
I've got tapes of 6 of the last 8 games. Feel free to point me to which games you have in mind I'll look them up right now.

AndroidRaider24 said:
... where you watching the same guy ?
Apparently not.

dont think its a bad deal if they give up a 3rd. anything more would be just plain dumb...they must think glenn is done for...

threetoedpete said:
No great loss if it's the second. We ain't had much luck with them anyway. Anyone got a defensive splits link ? Their reporting their own 47 & the 78th. Starter at corner, very nice job CC.
Is that your second and third of this year?

If it is for the 2nd and 3rd rounder , i like this trade, Raiders can fill the need at LBs through the draft while you guys add a playmaker for your knickle slot..

Is that your second and third of this year?
It's our second and the lower of our two 3rd rounders.

Even a 2 and a 3 is ok in my book. We still have our #1 and #73 - that's two picks on Day 1. Normally you have three but we had four thanks to the Henson deal which in part, makes this possible. Consider Buchanon a Day 1 pick and now we don't have to worry about CB on Day 1. Raider fans in here arguing about it tells me everything is ok with this.

Capers and Casserly aren't dumb about locker room chemistry. It wouldn't surprise me if they talked to Glenn ahead of time about this.

I really liked him coming out of college. If he just needed a change in scenary then this could be a great trade. I am sure that Casserly and Capers made sure he wouldn't be a cancer here.

The best part of the whole deal could be that he has two years left on his rookie contract and is only due $700K and $800K the next two years.

Lenny P's article from ESPN

I'll need to sleep on this... all I know is that the Chiefs were offering a 4th for Surtain and we just got a 2nd and 3rd for Buchanon.

If Chief fan just got bent over, then I by definition must be happy... I guess.

that what we needed and got in this deal. Texans must not be too impressed with talent in this draft. As long as we dont give up 13th pick Im happy. We don't have great track record @ 2nd and 3rd round anyway. Plus, for two years , he is probably making Demarcus Faggins like money. Good deal!!! Using line from immortal hulk Hogan . Yo Indy, what you gonna do when the TExans run all over you!!! Now somehow get Ced Benson, and offseason is complete.

TopTexanFan16 said:
does anyone know how his attitude is? good or bad like a TO or Aj type attitude?
Buchanan is a regular Miami Hurricane. Loud, Proud and Cocky.

AJ maybe the last of his kind to come out of Miami.

only thing i remember is one game he threw off his helmet after a big Int or PR, and threw it from the feild to the sideline or sumtin, and got a penalty in an important part of the game.... could make a couple bonehead plays like that but otherwise i really like the speed this kid has..

TigerBait said:
only thing i remember is one game he threw off his helmet after a big Int or PR, and threw it from the feild to the sideline or sumtin, and got a penalty in an important part of the game.... could make a couple bonehead plays like that but otherwise i really like the speed this kid has..
I remember that, too. Against KC after a big PR.

TopTexanFan16 said:
does anyone know how his attitude is? good or bad like a TO or Aj type attitude?

It doesn't matter anymore because Jon Hoke is now his position coach and he won't take sh!t from anyone.

TigerBait said:
Yea he almost broke the Punt for a TD, but came short, he took off his helmet to sort of jeer up the fans in arrowhead and was called for a penilty, taking us out of field goal range :(

This is why the Texans will go no where. Horrible move. And it only reflects what he has done to date. Mistake after mistake. Glenn is a June 1 cut for sure now. Desparation move. He has to win soon to save him and capers. This is the day things change in Houston. I predict the end is coming for the expansion staff of this team

Am I the only one slightly upset with this trade? I think the 2nd and 3rd round picks could have been used to draft pressing needs in our defense (LB, DL) or offense (OL, WR). I think Buchanon has lots of potential, but did we really need to address the problem of corner this year and give up the 2nd and 3rd rounders?

yea thats true, cornerback reall wasnt a pressin need yet and we coulda used some other players else were but im not sure if im happy with this trade or not....we'll see

Greenwood and Buchannon are both as fast as they come at their positions. We are obviously looking to upgrade speed for sure this off-season.

He takes up two positions for our team, and we have to account for the future and Aaron Glenn possibly being injured. I like this trade.

True we could of drafted Chris Spencer, but are we even sure that the 3rd rounder we draft may even make the team. Some candidates were Bartell, Roby, Adam Seward, Chris Canty. Those guys are projects? Why not go for a sure number 2CB who is still improving in PB. He's 24 and comes cheap, why not.

After digesting this for a little bit, I think that Jon Hoke will be able to straighten him out and get him to be the best CB he can be...I'm not sure he has the best head on his shoulders, but giving up the 47th and 78th pick in this draft isn't that bad IMO...The only problem I have is that now a trade up is out of the question unless we trade future picks (bad idea IMO)...I think this trade makes it more likely that we trade down if our guy isn't there at 13 though...

FatBoyTim said:
This is why the Texans will go no where. Horrible move. And it only reflects what he has done to date. Mistake after mistake. Glenn is a June 1 cut for sure now. Desparation move. He has to win soon to save him and capers. This is the day things change in Houston. I predict the end is coming for the expansion staff of this team

Horrible move??? What are you taking about. In this league and in our division you must have 2 shutdown corners. This gives up DR on oneside and PB on the other this is great we can now go after a RB and or a WR and we are a real threat to make the playoffs. This year and next and the next. This is GREAT

D-ReK said:
After digesting this for a little bit, I think that Jon Hoke will be able to straighten him out and get him to be the best CB he can be...I'm not sure he has the best head on his shoulders, but giving up the 47th and 78th pick in this draft isn't that bad IMO...The only problem I have is that now a trade up is out of the question unless we trade future picks (bad idea IMO)...I think this trade makes it more likely that we trade down if our guy isn't there at 13 though...

Trading down would be absolutely fantastic now.

didnt we run all over him when we played oakland? if im not mistakened Aj just put his shoulder down and let ihm have it....not a shutdown corner to me IMO but i can very well be wrong

TopTexanFan16 said:
didnt we run all over him when we played oakland? if im not mistakened Aj just put his shoulder down and let ihm have it....not a shutdown corner to me IMO but i can very well be wrong

There are about 3 shutdown corners in the entire NFL. People really need to stop using that term.

ojthecat said:
Horrible move??? What are you taking about. In this league and in our division you must have 2 shutdown corners. This gives up DR on oneside and PB on the other this is great we can now go after a RB and or a WR and we are a real threat to make the playoffs. This year and next and the next. This is GREAT
Im sorry to tell you this, but PB isnt a shutdown corner, people in the AFC WEST including the Raiders fans nick named him P-Burnt. But i will say this, if your D-Line can get pressure, he will catch the ball if tiped or is just a force out throw..... great in zone coverage, but it would be crazy to leave him out thier without safety help...

,this year Andre Johnson destroyed him, if you remeber that monday night game agianst the Packers 2 years ago, he gave up all the TDs in that game..

WildBlackBear32 said:
There are about 3 shutdown corners in the entire NFL. People really need to stop using that term.
No, there are exactly zero shutdown CBs in the league. Dieon Sanders was the first, last and only shudown CB in NFL history. No CB in this league takes away half the field.

I think the Texans draft Marcus Spears now, or should. Or we can sit back and see what other moves Casserly has up his sleeves.

Wow! Aggressive move. Wish we didn't give up 3rd round pick,though. This makes #13 pick more important( no busts pls.) Maybe, Texans will look to trade down to pick up an extra pick.

Fiddy said:
If we can add Spears, Merriman or Ware, our defensive unit can be deadly next year...
i hope dallas passes on Ware cause i see him falling farther than say Merrimen, and if we could trade down and grab him i would be happy

Back