Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Trade for Tunsil!!

ummm... "A great football coach"...?

My mind is so much more at ease when I realized/excepted O'Brien isn't and never was an offensive innovator.

He HAS to have good players because he hasn't shown the ability to scheme folks open.

If he can form his dream team that can bully their way to wins.... well, that'll work too.

This is all true, but that's basically asking for some of biggest strokes of luck for an entire season.

I’m rewatching game after work with a focus on Tunsil but it feels like he had a pretty terrible game. His run blocking is pretty bad. He gets high, loses power in his hips and is playing on the wrong side of the LOS. His pass blocking on the other hand is as advertised. He did give up 2 sacks - same amount he gave up all last year. Jitters? New system? Hopefully. Texans didn’t trade for a guy that was fully developed and that’s what I saw last night. Still a great amount of talent to work with before y’all go freaking out with the negativity interventions. Best lineman we’ve had since Duane just needs to round out.

The best lineman we've had since Duane Brown is a pretty bad run blocker? Wonderful. Speaks very well of both Tunsil and the Texan organization.

He run blocked very well yesterday.

Really? .. I'll find out tonight when I go over the game. You might be right, my impressions last night was he was playing on the wrong side of the field on run plays .. we'll see.

Really? .. I'll find out tonight when I go over the game. You might be right, my impressions last night was he was playing on the wrong side of the field on run plays .. we'll see.

he had a pretty good game. 5 or 6 plays from what I saw were bad, but he's new so hopefully that evens out in the wash. His run blocking is a little high, he could tighten that up. Pass blocking he's very nimble and athletic - his initial punch is phenomenal, first sack came on a wrap stunt that wasnt properly blocked by not just him but by the RB, on the last sack of the game he was just beat off the ball, the DE had the cadence clocked and was almost offsides when the ball was let go, and Tunsil just couldnt reach him. Had a holding call once. Best prospect we've had there, still not completely polished like Duane was when he was here, but maybe he will continue to blossom. All in all it was a good game from him considering he just got here and offensive football is a much more cerebral sport so I'll be excited watching his development hopefully he pans out.

edit: PFFs grade of 65 (backup) was probably based on how far apart he is between pass blocking and run blocking.

Last edited:
After seeing Tunsil and Stills Monday I’m seeing the trade in a much more favorable light. Tunsil wasn’t coming for a single one. Throw in Stills and the two ones are a little more in range especially since we spent our 2020 one on Tunsil this year. Both are going to make us better for sure. The second we gave up....could be closer to a three and the four and six we are getting will be closer to a three and five. Not too bad.

Keep looking at this years NFL draft and can’t help but notice, a burning hate reminder, the Texans traded so much for Tunsil, and just this one pick, #3 overall was not worth it. I would take Sewell all day over Tunsil. It’s near impossible to even have a draft discussion around here anymore, but maybe Casero can eventually change that? The firing of Gaine and the hiring of O’Brian, coupled with loss of franchise QB, has set the Texans back to the depths of expansion franchise.

How did a family rise and build a fortune but become so inept in another?

Keep looking at this years NFL draft and can’t help but notice, a burning hate reminder, the Texans traded so much for Tunsil, and just this one pick, #3 overall was not worth it. I would take Sewell all day over Tunsil. It’s near impossible to even have a draft discussion around here anymore, but maybe Casero can eventually change that? The firing of Gaine and the hiring of O’Brian, coupled with loss of franchise QB, has set the Texans back to the depths of expansion franchise.

How did a family rise and build a fortune but become so inept in another?

Enron/Insider trading

I'm actually looking forward to the draft/crawfish boil.

BTW, I wonder what Uncle Rico thinks of his guy now?

Last edited:
Now that situation reminds me a lot of past Texan memories of draft discussions. Chargers basically had the worst rated OL in the NFL last season. Yet despite that, Herbert not only won offensive rookie of the year, he broke nearly every passing record for a rookie. They know protecting him is #1 priority. Same as Texans after Watson first season. Unfortunately the Texans paid the ultimate price, multiple picks, including two #1’s and was highest contract given to an OT until Trent Williams this free agency.

Like a franchise QB a franchise LT price tag is best deferred via the draft for making a Championship run. I don’t know enough about GM Tom Telesco yet as to what he might do? Luckily there are some other solid options this draft, too bad same prospects were not available in that infamous 2019 draft that netted Tytus Howard.

What a dumpster fire of a tackle class it was, but needed one and reached. Never forget Philly trading up one pick ahead of Texans to grab Andre Dillard. Oddly enough they are picking one pick ahead of Chargers. But Minnesota is the dark horse this draft to jump up and take a tackle before LAC. See if history repeats itself again, to say that makes me nervous is an understatement :panic:

Now that situation reminds me a lot of past Texan memories of draft discussions. Chargers basically had the worst rated OL in the NFL last season. Yet despite that, Herbert not only won offensive rookie of the year, he broke nearly every passing record for a rookie. They know protecting him is #1 priority. Same as Texans after Watson first season. Unfortunately the Texans paid the ultimate price, multiple picks, including two #1’s and was highest contract given to an OT until Trent Williams this free agency.

Like a franchise QB a franchise LT price tag is best deferred via the draft for making a Championship run. I don’t know enough about GM Tom Telesco yet as to what he might do? Luckily there are some other solid options this draft, too bad same prospects were not available in that infamous 2019 draft that netted Tytus Howard.

Except for 2 things

1. Herbert is the better QB on a better contract

2. The Chargers aren't going to have to reach to fix their OL.

Except for 2 things

1. Herbert is the better QB on a better contract

2. The Chargers aren't going to have to reach to fix their OL.

seems like you always reach for a LT or is that just my sarcasm? For instance you mentioned Sewell. Don’t expect him to fall into the Chargers lap. Serious board discussion about just how much it would cost to reach up to draft him. From our experience I would say we both would agree on a more prohibitive cost than say Joe Charger Fan. Who among them have our wealth of experience in such matters, lol.

seems like you always reach for a LT or is that just my sarcasm? For instance you mentioned Sewell. Don’t expect him to fall into the Chargers lap. Serious board discussion about just how much it would cost to reach up to draft him. From our experience I would say we both would agree on a more prohibitive cost than say Joe Charger Fan. Who among them have our wealth of experience in such matters, lol.

If I was Telasco I would sit at 13 and pick 1 of Slater/Darrisaw/Cosmi

Last edited:
If I was Telasco I would sit at 13 and pick 1 of Slater/Darrisaw/Cosmi

Have to stay fluid in the moment and seize opportunity, take risk if your board and war room agree. Too early for Cosmi. Slater is he a tackle or guard. Darrisaw looks like a LT, but his motor doesn’t always run hot. If Sewell slips by Cincinnati then Miami has made a living off other teams 1st rd picks (ding ding ding). Think they would drop to 13 for next years first and 3rd. For Sewell I would do that. Not two 1st like Texans gave them for Tunsil, plus you have Sewell on the cheap that first contract (4 years and 5th year option).

Funny thing you mentioned staying put @ #13. Because in 2016 the Miami Dolphins selected Tunsil #13 overall. Turned that into #26 overall in 2020, #3 overall 2021, traded back for #6 overall and #1 picks from 49ers in 2022 & 2023. So suggesting dropping down to original pick #13 from Tunsil trade and adding another 1st rd pick and change. That’s a GM (Grier) on top of his game and leveraging as much talent as possible for very little cost/risk.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.es...rection-with-laremy-tunsil-trade?platform=amp

Have to stay fluid in the moment and seize opportunity, take risk if your board and war room agree. Too early for Cosmi. Slater is he a tackle or guard. Darrisaw looks like a LT, but his motor doesn’t always run hot. If Sewell slips by Cincinnati then Miami has made a living off other teams 1st rd picks (ding ding ding). Think they would drop to 13 for next years first and 3rd. For Sewell I would do that. Not two 1st like Texans gave them for Tunsil, plus you have Sewell on the cheap that first contract (4 years and 5th year option).

For me Slater is definitely a OT.

He has 33 inch arms which meets the criteria and is the most athletic OT in this class testing wise. With this said I would much rather have Sewell. He's got about the same athletic abilty more size and a mean streak.

For me Slater is definitely a OT.

He has 33 inch arms which meets the criteria and is the most athletic OT in this class testing wise. With this said I would much rather have Sewell. He's got about the same athletic abilty more size and a mean streak.

Its core strength with soft feet vs technician with outstanding hands.

Sewell is only 20 and that’s about the sum total of all his College games, starting when he was 17 year old freshman. Have no idea what his upside could be? Slater adds versatility and has the experience under his belt to play any position.

Back