Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Trade for Anthony Miller

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agree. That's what Caserio will ultimately be judged on. What I don't agree with is all of the atta boys Caserio has gotten for what he's done thus far. Which is basically nothing. Or less than nothing. And Caserio's performance thus far doesn't make me feel all that confident in what he will do in the future.

But you are correct. It's the Watson trade and how he handles the big draft capital in the future is what Caserio will be remembered for.

Yes, I have no problem with the picks Caserio has made. It's squandering the extra chances for literally nothing that I have an issue with.
Agreed, he really hasn't done much and will be judged on his draft picks. He shouldn't be judged by what he gets for Derrick. Why? because if justice is served Derrick will be playing for the Mean Machine for the next 25 yrs. If he isn't I dont expect Caserio to get nearly what some posters on here have said Caserio will get. After all teams trading for Derrick will be telling their fanbases they dont have any issues adding a Sexual Predator to their roster and that's regardless of whether he's convicted or not.

What I dont get is the dislike you have of the moves he's made when what he's done so far kinda mirrors what the Pats have done especially since Caserio didn't have rd 1-2 draft picks. Using lower rd picks to move up in the draft (Pats/Barmore, Texans/Collins) seems like a good idea to me. As far as using a 5th rd pick for a starting NFL WR, I like taking a low rd chance on an obviously talented player. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but there's nothing wrong with taking low risk chances on talented but troubled guys.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I agree. That's what Caserio will ultimately be judged on. What I don't agree with is all of the atta boys Caserio has gotten for what he's done thus far. Which is basically nothing. Or less than nothing. And Caserio's performance thus far doesn't make me feel all that confident in what he will do in the future.

But you are correct. It's the Watson trade and how he handles the big draft capital in the future is what Caserio will be remembered for.

Yes, I have no problem with the picks Caserio has made. It's squandering the extra chances for literally nothing that I have an issue with.
Agree.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It looks like Belichick is back to his old ways of trading former #1 draft picks when they reach 30+ much like he did with Richard Seymour and Chandler Jones. He's gets something for them unlike Texans did with Mario Williams. And in Gilmore's case, BB had the cap space in 2021 so he took advantage of getting Gilmore's money off the 2022 books. Smart move. It has worked well for BB in past so it looks BB is going back to what has worked well for him before. I don't know what Wolf was advising BB I wasn't in the building.
I agree with this as far as a philosophy goes. Belichick got Gilmore off of the books for a late rd pick (Very different than what he got for Seymour) and cap space. Caserio will be busy clearing the books over the next couple of yrs. The Roby trade is a start and yes, I know his basically used 7 mil worth of cap space to buy a 3rd rd pick, but he got out from underneath next yrs part of Roby's contract, so he accomplished his objectives. (Adding a fairly high draft pick and getting out from under next yrs contract.)

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I agree with this as far as a philosophy goes. Belichick got Gilmore off of the books for a late rd pick (Very different than what he got for Seymour) and cap space. Caserio will be busy clearing the books over the next couple of yrs. The Roby trade is a start and yes, I know his basically used 7 mil worth of cap space to buy a 3rd rd pick, but he got out from underneath next yrs part of Roby's contract, so he accomplished his objectives. (Adding a fairly high draft pick and getting out from under next yrs contract.)
I don’t know why more people see that cap space is being created in the next couple years to sign players the same way Belicheck did. 2021 was the year to burn up old contracts and money because we are doing anything or going anywhere.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t know why more people see that cap space is being created in the next couple years to sign players the same way Belicheck did. 2021 was the year to burn up old contracts and money because we are doing anything or going anywhere.
Why more people cant see?

Love your avatar

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
We lost what, a 5th round draft pick?....which is equivalent to a career special teamer. boo f&@?ing hoo. Was worth a shot to take on a kid taken in the 1st round to see if he could claim of that promise another team saw in him. I wonder if some of you guys really pay attention to the crap y’all whine about and/or try to criticize on here. People place way too much value on draft capital.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And in Gilmore's case, BB had the cap space in 2021 so he took advantage of getting Gilmore's money off the 2022 books. Smart move.
Looks like you’re reading into the situation what you want to see. He had no 2021 cap room. He was trying to free it up by pushing some of Gilmore’s salary into future years.

They couldn’t get a deal done so they traded him away, receiving less in return than what Caserio got for Roby.

That’s the way it was reported in both links posted about the situation.

If you can find a report supporting your fantasy, by all means, post it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I didn’t like the move because chemistry is important for starters. Secondly you need all the weapons you can have with a rookie quarterback with no darn running game. Finally Conley and Mr. Muffed Punts should’ve been the ones to get cut.
But if he can’t get his arms up because of that shoulder, chemistry ain’t catching that ball.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
What's the percentage of 5th, 6th, & 7th round success? I think Nick has been par for the course.
It's not really about the actual player taken in the 5th, 6th or 7th, it's that you can use those picks to maneuver in the draft, for instance, moving up twice to get a player you apparently really want and don't think he'll fall to you like a Garret Wallow. <insert appropriate emoji>

Then there's there the fact he could have gotten those players without doing a damn thing other than making a waiver claim. Say what you want about those late round picks, giving them away when there was absolutely no reason to makes no damn sense.

So it's really more about the process (where have I heard that before), than anything.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They really didn’t give it a chance to work out.
Miller didn’t do anything wrong that I can think of. Leads me to believe it’s something they’ve come to realize, that Chicago probably already knew. He can’t get his arms up.

Now that’s just a guess. But I think it may have merit. Let’s see how his once promising, though humble, career goes from here.

Has anyone picked him up yet? It’s been a minute.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I completely agree with this in those cases.

but the Anthony Miller one. It’s like drafting Isaiah Coulter, Cullen Gillespia, or Xavier Crawford. Didn’t work out.
Have no issue with trading for Miller other than wondering why he’s out after 2 games. Was he late for meetings? Was he giving Easterby the stink eye? Is somebody not doing enough homework on these players?

But these other guys, Finley, Hollman and Izzo, you get those guys with a waiver claim, or just sign them when they clear waivers. No reason whatsoever to fire off a draft pick for them.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Agreed, he really hasn't done much and will be judged on his draft picks. He shouldn't be judged by what he gets for Derrick. Why? because if justice is served Derrick will be playing for the Mean Machine for the next 25 yrs. If he isn't I dont expect Caserio to get nearly what some posters on here have said Caserio will get. After all teams trading for Derrick will be telling their fanbases they dont have any issues adding a Sexual Predator to their roster and that's regardless of whether he's convicted or not.

What I dont get is the dislike you have of the moves he's made when what he's done so far kinda mirrors what the Pats have done especially since Caserio didn't have rd 1-2 draft picks. Using lower rd picks to move up in the draft (Pats/Barmore, Texans/Collins) seems like a good idea to me. As far as using a 5th rd pick for a starting NFL WR, I like taking a low rd chance on an obviously talented player. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but there's nothing wrong with taking low risk chances on talented but troubled guys.
Again, if Watson is found innocent….no matter how much you scream he’s guilty and/or a sexual predator, that’ll be for your personal satisfaction and your’s alone…..every GM who needs a top rated QB1, who’s under contract, and is as young as Watson will see him just as the justice system did….innocent and would immediately start checking with Caserio in regards to his asking price before it goes back up.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Aaron Wilson stated on Kalu’s show this morning that he’s out mostly b/c they didn’t think he’d be fine with being a back up behind Amendola…who is back this week and they think Amendola is the better fit. Said that it had nothing to do with his attitude.
Would make sense especially if he asked for his release when told he’d be the backup.

What I wish they would’ve done differently is just sign Amendola during the offseason when the team signed dozens of free agents. I suspect participating in an NFL training camp would have prevented Amendola from pulling a hammy in game 2. But then again he may have been injured in camp too… that’s the risk with a 35 year old WR.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Aaron Wilson stated on Kalu’s show this morning that he’s out mostly b/c they didn’t think he’d be fine with being a back up behind Amendola…who is back this week and they think Amendola is the better fit. Said that it had nothing to do with his attitude.
Inmates running the prison if that’s the case. Coaches need to be able to handle these types of situations without cutting players.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Inmates running the prison if that’s the case. Coaches need to be able to handle these types of situations without cutting players.
Agreed. They are professionals. Should be able to handle being a backup without being a “bad culture fit”.

I think the idea of his shoulder making him not the same player they thought they were getting makes more sense.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Looks like you’re reading into the situation what you want to see. He had no 2021 cap room. He was trying to free it up by pushing some of Gilmore’s salary into future years.

They couldn’t get a deal done so they traded him away, receiving less in return than what Caserio got for Roby.

That’s the way it was reported in both links posted about the situation.

If you can find a report supporting your fantasy, by all means, post it.
How about some simple math instead. You say he had no cap room and yet when he traded Gilmore that created $10MM in dead money in 2021. The Patriots still have $8MM in cap space even after Gilmore's dead money charge.

Texian

Hall of Fame
It's kind of a different story when you include all the facts. One Gilmore is a couple of years older than Roby. Roby has 2 years left on his contract. Somewhat easier and a bigger trade market preseason vs in season.

All of that aside Caserio and the Texans had to eat $8MM of Roby's salary this year to get the deal done. Should've have gotten a 2nd instead of 3rd. (another stubbed toe) How much of Gilmore's salary Belichick and Patriots eat? $0.00

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
that ain’t how it works and you know it. They have enough distractions. It was worth a shot to see if Miller could flourish in a new situation. He didn’t. Nothing really lost.
…….except a sure SB as some would have you think. Just take a deep breath and relax knowing that the team did not mortgage their future in this move.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Would make sense especially if he asked for his release when told he’d be the backup.

What I wish they would’ve done differently is just sign Amendola during the offseason when the team signed dozens of free agents. I suspect participating in an NFL training camp would have prevented Amendola from pulling a hammy in game 2. But then again he may have been injured in camp too… that’s the risk with a 35 year old WR.
then the narrative around here would be why we went and signed old ass Amendola and expected him to play a key role instead of trading for a 1st round young talent like Miller…….who maybe could just use a change of scenery and would perhaps have a chance to stick around after the rebuild.

hindsight is always 20/20. I don’t have a problem with what & how he did it. NC took a chance, didn’t give up much. It didn’t work out, period.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Roby has no guaranted money left after this year.
The Saints can cut him with no dead money (same goes for the Texans had he stayed).

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
that ain’t how it works and you know it. They have enough distractions. It was worth a shot to see if Miller could flourish in a new situation. He didn’t. Nothing really lost.
That has nothing to do with what I said. I said "if"

If it was for performance, that's totally different.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
That has nothing to do with what I said. I said "if"

If it was for performance, that's totally different.
but that’s just it. If they viewed him as the odd man out, then that has nothing to do with “them” or him having performance issues. It was just a situation that wasn’t optimal considering only 1 of those guys is gonna be on the field at a time…..So they just let him make it before it did potentially turn into a distraction…while also giving him a shot to latch on with somewhere else.

Aside from that, Amendola was only brought in after Miller got hurt at the last minute. Dude probably isn’t even here to be another option for them if Miller stays on the field.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
but that’s just it.
No. That's not it. I replied to a guy who said they let him go because he was mad & didn't want to be the backup.

If

That's why he was cut, I don't agree with the Texans management style. Coaches coach. Coaches decide who start & who doesn't. Not the player.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Texans chose the player that could catch balls over one that would have to wear a shoulder harness and have problems getting his hands up for a high pass.

This article was well into a post shoulder reconstruction surgery rehab, where he really no longer needed to wear the harness.:

Anthony Miller cut off his shoulder harness after dropping a pass in London. Then he made a highlight-reel catch.
By Colleen Kane Chicago Tribune |
Oct 16, 2019 at 3:59 PM

Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky revealed Wednesday that Miller cut off his left shoulder harness after the drop. Miller had worn the harness since early last season to help protect his shoulder, which he dislocated multiple times in 2018. He had offseason surgery to repair the injury.

“After I had dropped the ball in London, I cut it off because I couldn’t reach all the way,” Miller said. “I cut it off and I ended up playing better after that. So … ”

The difference between then and now............he has to wear the shoulder harness in order to prevent more dislocations risking further shoulder joint damage this season.............until his inevitable return to surgery.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
The Texans chose the player that could catch balls over one that would have to wear a shoulder harness and have problems getting his hands up for a high pass.

This article was well into a post shoulder reconstruction surgery rehab, where he really no longer needed to wear the harness.:

Anthony Miller cut off his shoulder harness after dropping a pass in London. Then he made a highlight-reel catch.
By Colleen Kane Chicago Tribune |
Oct 16, 2019 at 3:59 PM

Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky revealed Wednesday that Miller cut off his left shoulder harness after the drop. Miller had worn the harness since early last season to help protect his shoulder, which he dislocated multiple times in 2018. He had offseason surgery to repair the injury.

“After I had dropped the ball in London, I cut it off because I couldn’t reach all the way,” Miller said. “I cut it off and I ended up playing better after that. So … ”

The difference between then and now............he has to wear the shoulder harness in order to prevent more dislocations risking further shoulder joint damage this season.............until his inevitable return to surgery.
So the Texans didn't do their homework?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Miller dislocated his shoulder again this preseason. He was probably fine before that... will probably be fine in the future.

But in the near future, he needs to wear the harness. While wearing the harness he can't get his hands up.
So he's fine until he's not?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
For a guy with talent a 5th Rd pick really isn't much of a risk.
Sure, but there's such a thing called due diligence.
Seems like the RISKS the Texans have been taking haven't work out in their favor.
Which are the ones that have panned out for them so far, in your opinion?