Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Trade for Anthony Miller

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Even without Cobb, we’re not short on WRs for a team in our situation
Miller may be more talented than some of the WRs on the depth chart after Cobb.

Makes sense to take a one year flyer (that’s becoming common) on a more talented player with more upside than some of the other guys with low cowlings. Especially if Cobb is gone. And it was only a late round draft pick swap.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That would mean Caserio wouldn't be hitting free agency. That would be an about face, especially considering how few players the Texans have signed for 2022.

It's really rhetorical. Miller isn't providing any type of impact regarding wins or future picks. This is more of Caserio looking busy to make a certain someone feel better about the team. The Texans are still on a losing trajectory. And I think that's Nick's plan.
Glad to see you've got your crystal ball out again.

Fact is they trade about 15 spots (Theoretically) in the 6th rd for a guy who was a starter last yr.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Did it? You know he started out with 8 picks and ended up with 5, right? And 1 fewer for next year as well.
Of course, Nick was trying to grab potential future starters, Waller was a lot higher than Brugler or Zierlein graded them as 3rd day picks. Has a lot to do with trend towards two high safety and more active LB’s who can cover a lot of space. Not to mention upgrading special teams. Nico Collins, if he develops like I think he can, will be WR1. All these 3rd day picks have cheaper contracts as well.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.battleredblog.com/platform/amp/2021/5/1/22414097/2021-nfl-draft-houston-texans-trade-up-to-170th-overall-select-garrett-wallow

beerlover

Hall of Fame
When I hear these rumors that players want to play with so and so because they use to be teammates somewhere in the past color me skeptical.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Of course, Nick was trying to grab potential future starters, Waller was a lot higher than Brugler or Zierlein graded them as 3rd day picks. Has a lot to do with trend towards two high safety and more active LB’s who can cover a lot of space. Not to mention upgrading special teams. Nico Collins, if he develops like I think he can, will be WR1. All these 3rd day picks have cheaper contracts as well.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.battleredblog.com/platform/amp/2021/5/1/22414097/2021-nfl-draft-houston-texans-trade-up-to-170th-overall-select-garrett-wallow
But you're killing the narrative for some around here.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member

According to Field Yates, the Bears are trading Miller and a 2022 seventh-round pick to the Texans in exchange for a 2022 fifth-round pick.
With Miller’s trade, Chicago will free up an additional $1.2 million in cap space and take on $500,000 in dead money. The Bears have around $6 million in cap space after the trade, according to Spotrac.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Fact is they trade about 15 spots (Theoretically) in the 6th rd for a guy who was a starter last yr.
Apparently, that's not the fact.

According to Field Yates, the Bears are trading Miller and a 2022 seventh-round pick to the Texans in exchange for a 2022 fifth-round pick.
Fact is, Caserio traded likely the 1st pick in the 5th round for one year of a mediocre slot receiver.

I don't know how anyone spins that as a great move by Caserio.

Texian

Hall of Fame

Fact is, Caserio traded likely the 1st pick in the 5th round for one year of a mediocre slot receiver.

That is a difference of approx. 100 slots (players) or Chicago gets to move up 2 1/2 rounds for Miller.

The first pick in the 5th RD is #145 and a middle round pick in RD 7 is approx. #246. It appears as thou Caserio got hosed again.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Caserio in Wonderland.

Didn’t the Former Texan GM draft a slot receiver in 5th rd of 2020 NFL Draft (Isaiah Coulter)?

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Classic.

This is typical New England trade strategy for anyone not named Bill Belicheck. It’s the only thing he teaches coaches and assistant GMs while he has a history of doing the opposite.

Smh.

Dejaview

All Pro

Unless he plays like a second rounder. He’s averaged 44 receptions per year over his career Which you probably won’t get from many fifth rounders. Lots of Bears fans didn’t like the trade.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Like I said I didn't like the trade. But with Cobb likely being traded I understand the move. Also it depends on the type of season Miller has. I'm betting he gives the team more than Cobb did last yr.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Unless he plays like a second rounder. He’s averaged 44 receptions per year over his career Which you probably won’t get from many fifth rounders. Lots of Bears fans didn’t like the trade.
Speaking of statistics, Miller averaged 74 reception yards/game in his 6 career games vs the Detroit Lions. In 41 games vs the rest of the league, Miller averaged 27 yards/game.

And the answer to your next questions is: No. Detroit is not on the Texans 2021 schedule.

Dejaview

All Pro
Speaking of statistics, Miller averaged 74 reception yards/game in his 6 career games vs the Detroit Lions. In 41 games vs the rest of the league, Miller averaged 27 yards/game.

And the answer to your next questions is: No. Detroit is not on the Texans 2021 schedule.
Means nothing. Only thing that matters is will he and a seventh rounder be better than a fifth. Texans going heavy on the run may incorporate the slot receivers way more than in the past. Don’t know about the Cobb situation but I don’t trust KeKe to stay healthy. Edit. BTW go look at ypg stats for the top slot receivers in the game. If your numbers are correct he’s in or near that crowd.

Last edited:

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
You have to consider who was throwing the ball to him during that time.

That’s the only positive. If someone better than Trubisky is throwing the ball maybe Miller will do better?

That’s is the only upside I can see.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
trying to understand, but don't the Texans get credit for him in comp pick calculations if they let him walk next year? Would that maybe make up the draft capital??

We signed so many 1 year prove it deals that may be Nick's grand design for next year.

Texansballer74

The Marine
You have to consider who was throwing the ball to him during that time.

That’s the only positive. If someone better than Trubisky is throwing the ball maybe Miller will do better?

That’s is the only upside I can see.
Exactly, everything needs to be factored into the equation.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We signed so many 1 year prove it deals that may be Nick's grand design for next year.
So you're saying we go light on FAs next year & heavy in UDFAs?

Compensatory picks will be for the 2022 draft, or 2023?

Assuming someone would sign the ones we don't want to qualifying contracts.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
So you're saying we go light on FAs next year & heavy in UDFAs?

Compensatory picks will be for the 2022 draft, or 2023?

Assuming someone would sign the ones we don't want to qualifying contracts.
23. Finally out of cap hell. High picks. A gazillion comp picks. By then nick thinks he would finally have the best possible coaching and scouting staff in place to make hay in the draft.

Any treasure trove of picks for dw would be in year 1 & 2. Should be an exciting time.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Replacing Cobb, so draft capital will be recouped and there's a chance of getting a compensatory pick. What's there not to like?

Question is if the Texans eat all 8 mil and get a 3rd would you be happy, or would you be happier if the Texans ate only 4 mil of Cobb's salary and got a 5th rd pick?
I'd like a higher pick. What I've been hoping is a 3rd with the Texans eating $4M.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Miller was really good in school. However, other than a few flashes he hasn't put in together in the NFL. So, with the right staff and a fresh start he might get it together and have a great career. I will delay judgment until camp gets going

Texian

Hall of Fame
Replacing Cobb, so draft capital will be recouped and there's a chance of getting a compensatory pick. What's there not to like?

Question is if the Texans eat all 8 mil and get a 3rd would you be happy, or would you be happier if the Texans ate only 4 mil of Cobb's salary and got a 5th rd pick?
No comp picks awarded on a players cut or traded.
Max value is in the higher draft pick.