Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans to trade and cut players for a better GM option (see article)

Tried to lowball us for Fuller huh.

Deadline is 11/3. Lot can happen between now and then. We have a bye week while most teams do not and I know it's a horrible thing to say ,but I'll be rooting for injuries on other teams this week.

Might be the leverage we need to get legit trade offers...

I wonder how Qb's like Lamar Jackson would have done without coaches who could make changes to fit their Qb's as opposed to trying to fit square pegs into round holes.

For me it's not about changing the system to fit the QB. It's about helping a young QB adjust to the NFL game. Simplifying concepts, cutting down half the field, moving the pocket, using motion to help identify defenses, using motion & misdirection, RB/TE screens. There were a lot of things BO'b could have done to help Watson adjust to the speed of the game, that he didn't. Things that were done for Mahomes. Things Mahomes still incorporate into his pro game.

Tell me exactly what DW4 excells at and I can tell you what type offense he needs to be running. Is he accurate and throws with enough anticipation to run the WCO? I don't think so although many here think the WCO is the answer to all of his issues. How strong suit is supposedly throwing the deep ball so they got him a bunch of fast Wr's, how did that work out?

I still say DW4'S going to be at his best running the Ravens offense, where he doesn't have to think as much and just plays naturally. Pf course this will open him up to more injury risk. But so be it.

I think dw is immensely talented in off schedule plays and throwing off platform. Most qb's can't do it nearly as well.

I think he suffers most in reading defenses. The question here is, is that his fault or a product of coaching? I think that's yet to be determined.

Still, our interior ol sucks, we have no run game, and this defense is trash. If we can improve on that we should see more progress.

I think he suffers most in reading defenses. The question here is, is that his fault or a product of coaching? I think that's yet to be determined.

I think there would be more interceptions if that were the case.

I honestly think the issue is pre snap reads (maybe that’s what you meant). Because it looked to me that what happened after the snap was a total surprise to him from time to time.

But last week he was making more adjustments at the line & things were going his way. So maybe it was a lack of options or he didn’t have the ok to make so many changes.

I think there would be more interceptions if that were the case.

I honestly think the issue is pre snap reads (maybe that’s what you meant). Because it looked to me that what happened after the snap was a total surprise to him from time to time.

But last week he was making more adjustments at the line & things were going his way. So maybe it was a lack of options or he didn’t have the ok to make so many changes.
[
Spot on

They still scored 0 pts in the 1st half and a bunch of pts during garbage time. I didn't really see the improvement you're talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it's not about changing the system to fit the QB. It's about helping a young QB adjust to the NFL game. Simplifying concepts, cutting down half the field, moving the pocket, using motion to help identify defenses, using motion & misdirection, RB/TE screens. There were a lot of things BO'b could have done to help Watson adjust to the speed of the game, that he didn't. Things that were done for Mahomes. Things Mahomes still incorporate into his pro game.
I agree with you tk. Good post.

I am not really about changing the system per say but making some changes within the offense to fit DW4. It seems the only time we see any athletic plays by DW4 is when everything breaks down.

It would seem to me that DW4 should have an offense that is set up to utilize his athleticism. What you said in regards to motion and moving the pocket I am totally in agreement with.

Last edited:
Talk about ash backwards. Man they’re not about to get much for these players. Bill O’Brien really screwed the pooch.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, any trades they do make will be the back end of whatever round pick they get. There's not going to be trades made with the Jets, Bengals, Giants, etc. Only teams looking to make a deeper playoff run would be in the mix. So if you get a 3rd for Watt, for example because I have no clue what you could get, that's going to be a back end 3rd, much closer to the 4th. Even if it's a 2nd, it'll be closer to a 3rd. That will be the case for any pick they get. So other than clearing a little cap space, that who knows what they'd do with, there's really not much other incentive to trade away players. And then the ones you really need to trade have horrible contracts that nobody's is going to want anyway.

If they did anything, I'd trade away every WR they have, Fuller, Cooks, Cobb and Stills, just load up on mid to late rounders. This season is a lost cause and none of those guys are part of the future. Get what you can now.

I think dw is immensely talented in off schedule plays and throwing off platform. Most qb's can't do it nearly as well.

Still, our interior ol sucks, we have no run game, and this defense is trash. If we can improve on that we should see more progress.

I think if you look at his college film you will see the answer. Rolling out and on boots he is good. Sitting in the pocket is different, he looks like he gets nervous. That's where the INTs (both college and NFL) came in. Also, he is not as good rolling ledt as he is right. That is a habit of his that can be coached away... but could take awhile.

My opinion is that he is a B level QB. He is very gifted and he can be coached. But, to get to a level of Rogers and Brady (as an example) I honestly don't know if he that ability. I think in fairness to a new HC and staff. You have 2 options.
1- Take him and ride him and hope you can find the formula to get to a deeper playoff run or SB.
2- Use him until you can get a higher pick and draft or develop a QB then trade him.

I think if you look at his college film you will see the answer. Rolling out and on boots he is good. Sitting in the pocket is different, he looks like he gets nervous. That's where the INTs (both college and NFL) came in. Also, he is not as good rolling ledt as he is right. That is a habit of his that can be coached away... but could take awhile.

My opinion is that he is a B level QB. He is very gifted and he can be coached. But, to get to a level of Rogers and Brady (as an example) I honestly don't know if he that ability. I think in fairness to a new HC and staff. You have 2 options.
1- Take him and ride him and hope you can find the formula to get to a deeper playoff run or SB.
2- Use him until you can get a higher pick and draft or develop a QB then trade him.
I don't want to turn this thread into another DW4 thread. I would recommend looking at a couple of the videos in the "The all encompassing DW4 good plays thread"? There are multiple videos breaking down his performances, what he is seeing, his footwork and comments from objective observers. For example like this post:

Here is another fair breakdown showing some mistakes Watson made and his performance.

Last edited:
Cunningham is currently third in the NFL in tackles. On pace to match last year’s total which was 8th in the NFL. Solo tackles ranked 2nd best for a LB. He is 25. He is the perfect piece on defense to build around. Dump McKinney in the off-season.

I don't want to turn this thread into another DW4 thread. I would recommend looking at a couple of the videos in the "The all encompassing DW4 good plays thread"? There are multiple videos breaking down his performances, what he is seeing, his footwork and comments from objective observers. For example like this post:
Man I really don't understand this narrative of Watson not being able to operate in the freaking pocket. I'm like do these people even watch the games. And if he does look nervous, do these people even know how horrible the offensive lines been for 6 straight years and counting.

Cunningham is currently third in the NFL in tackles. On pace to match last year’s total which was 8th in the NFL. Solo tackles ranked 2nd best for a LB. He is 25. He is the perfect piece on defense to build around. Dump McKinney in the off-season.

He's also 2nd in missed tackles. And his tackles numbers are high because only 1 team has had more plays run against them than the Texans. And IIRC, the Texans drafted him for his coverage skills, and I've seen no indication he's capable of that.

Cunningham's play this yr is the most disappointing part of what's wrong with the defense.

He's also 2nd in missed tackles. And his tackles numbers are high because only 1 team has had more plays run against them than the Texans. And IIRC, the Texans drafted him for his coverage skills, and I've seen no indication he's capable of that.

Jay Foreman?

Man I really don't understand this narrative of Watson not being able to operate in the freaking pocket. I'm like do these people even watch the games. And if he does look nervous, do these people even know how horrible the offensive lines been for 6 straight years and counting.

I am willing to bet that he won't get to an AFC Championship and/or win one.

That said, we don't have really many players that are going to be worth much.

I think on a stickly new GM/HC situation. What is the 1 player most want as "their guy"? The QB. Making Watson on the selection committee is insane. As any new GM and HC are just as inclined to trade him as keep him.

S
Cunningham's play this yr is the most disappointing part of what's wrong with the defense.
I think he and Reid have similar issues. Playing with unqualified starters, and having to cover their assignments and picking up slack as well. Lets face it, Dunn and Watkins are not qualified nfl starters, neither is tyrell adams/scarlett /Mercilus. You would be hesitant as well not trusting the players around you imo. Same as Reid, CBs minus Roby are scrubs, Lonnie is learning on the fly

He’s really fast and can’t cover...maybe he can move over to CB lololol

S

I think he and Reid have similar issues. Playing with unqualified starters, and having to cover their assignments and picking up slack as well. Lets face it, Dunn and Watkins are not qualified nfl starters, neither is tyrell adams/scarlett /Mercilus. You would be hesitant as well not trusting the players around you imo. Same as Reid, CBs minus Roby are scrubs, Lonnie is learning on the fly

Yep, I would go young.

They need to find out if guys like LJo can play FS. Are Greenard/Blacklock going to be contributors to a rebuilt defense etc...

What I'm afraid they will do is keep running out the same old crap they've been running out there.

Hes the best piece on defense at this point. Underperforming or not.
Yep, I would go young.

They need to find out if guys like LJo can play FS. Are Greenard/Blacklock going to be contributors to a rebuilt defense etc...

What I'm afraid they will do is keep running out the same old crap they've been running out there.
Agreed. What do you have to lose by giving Blacklock/Greenard/Jake Martin more reps? Mercilus should be strictly a pass situation guy. Scarlett is just a rotational player. Whats the deal with Omenihu?

Hes the best piece on defense at this point. Underperforming or not.

Agreed. What do you have to lose by giving Blacklock/Greenard/Jake Martin more reps? Mercilus should be strictly a pass situation guy. Scarlett is just a rotational player. Whats the deal with Omenihu?

All of the young guys on the DL would get PT. Greenard PJ Omenihu/The big dude that just came off of the PS/Martin. Reid would be playing slot CB over Hargreaves. The only 2 guys that are currently playing if I was running the team that would be starting are Justin Reid and Cunningham. This would be after I traded away Watt for whatever I could get for him. That cap savings of 17.5 mil is to valuable to hold onto.

S

He was bad the two previous years - He's just worse by leaps and bounds this year.

Completion percentage against -
2018 - 76.1%
2019 - 77.6%
2020 - 95.8%

QBR against
2018 - 103.2
2019 - 107.4
2020 - 142.4

Missed Tackle percentage
2018 - 13%
2019 - 7.2%
2020 - 12.3%

He was bad the two previous years - He's just worse by leaps and bounds this year.

2018 - 76.1%
2019 - 77.6%
2020 - 95.8%

QBR against
2018 - 103.2
2019 - 107.4
2020 - 142.4

Missed Tackle percentage
2018 - 13%
2019 - 7.2%
2020 - 12.3%

Ladies and gentlemen that's what suckage looks like.

I think it would be foolish not to take a 3 or even a 4 for Fuller. It's basically what they would get in the form of a Comp pick and the cap space to top it off.

They can't resign that guy .... too much money too many injuries.

Coulter coming off of the PS probably means 1 of the WR's are getting traded.

2018 - 76.1%
2019 - 77.6%
2020 - 95.8%

QBR against
2018 - 103.2
2019 - 107.4
2020 - 142.4

Missed Tackle percentage
2018 - 13%
2019 - 7.2%
2020 - 12.3%
Where does he rank vs the Top10 LBs in the NFL?

Can you name 10 ILB you would rather have over Zach? I can name possibly 7

Just in the division

Leonard/Jack/Evans.

All of Tampa LB's and SF's LB's also I love me some Bobby Wagner. I could make an even larger list if I thought about it. But you get my drift.

Where does he rank vs the Top10 LBs in the NFL?

Those stats aren't kept in a single place , I'd have to search each player and compile a list - Don't have the want to to do that .... Just too much effort.

But its safe to say that at 95.8% he's at or very near the bottom of the league where a low 60's percentage is above average.

If those tackles are made at or a yard or two from the line of scrimmage, then great......but that's not the case. If you're dragging the backs down from behind and after they've cleared 4+ yards, then you're not doing your job no matter how many tackles you're making.

Last edited:
Cunningham is who he was in college...an “almost” guy which is why I didn’t like the pick coming out. His main issue is he sucks at play diagnosis; takes too long to read what’s going on and that split second longer to read results in him always being a half step from making tackles at or behind the LOS that his reaching arm tackles say he should be making. The sheer length of his arms gives the impression that he’s truly in the vicinity of every play like those true sideline to sideline ILBs. But it’s an illusion. He’s rather always close via reaching out trying to arm tackle..... hence why backs are always breaking his tackles..could get away with it in college, not with the big boys though.

Last edited:
I have a bad feeling about the next HC. The GM might be good but Cal will have a say in the pick. Meaning a HC could be there and Cal likes the other one.

The other thing is Watson. I like the way he has played. However, he has no idea what a great HC is. He has football knowledge that is not going to help you with a HC. He is going to like a guy who has a 100% taylor made system for his game. Brady and Rogers have been in different systems and they still win. Watson has to show he can do that.

As much as I like Watson, he has no business being involved in the search.

This definitely isn’t Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers with a long illustrious track record to fall back on. I like your statement about experience in different systems as well.

It’s not a matter of potential. Hell, I wouldn’t give Mahomes that kind of power either. He simply doesn’t have the required experience to be useful yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I like Watson, he has no business being involved in the search.

This definitely isn’t Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers with a long illustrious track record to fall back on. I like your statement about experience in different systems as well.

It’s not a matter of potential. Hell, I wouldn’t give Mahomes that kind of power either. He simply doesn’t have the required experience to be useful yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad part is there's not one person on that search committee that's qualified.

Cal should do like his dad did and bring in a guy like Dan Reeves, (Not saying he should bring in Reeves) Bring in a Parcells type guy if you want to run a power type scheme they're currently running. Or Shanny if you want to run a WCO as the MAIN voice on the hiring committee.

I wish the Texans would hire a guy, come up with an identity and stick with it from generation to generation like the Steelers do.

well if i had the GM hat it would be easy cut or trade everyone not named watson or LT and titus has well maybe..

i would also fire the entire front office and all the coaches top to bottom only one left would be me and Mr McNair lol

the only things to think about is the players that are decent and we are still paying them decent money so maybe we should keep them category but there not untouchable

david johnson
cooks
Z ham
jacob martin
reid
Conley
max sharp
gaines
roby
....tho all these players if u wanna jet them i wouldnt lose sleep for a total reset

i dont know about all the younger and rookies thats why we should play them from here on out all the 3rd and 4th stringers sit watson for saftey and start mccarron

its quite easy imo do all this and it would deff attract and better GM coach combo to come to houston

Back