Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans to play the Jags Game @ London

Luton? You can't be serious? Do you have family or friends there?

FYI: : Luton makes Rhyl look like a 5* resort
I've been to Luton actually and I do agree. How do you know Rhyl? It's just up the road from me.

We are currently going through a big shift in lifestyle and need to make this as cheap as possible, I figured staying somewhere just outside London and travelling in for the days will cut a lot off the price, and maybe even make driving down there more feasible.

There are still white people there, so yeah, the food is bland. Try some Fish & Chips and Shepard's pie anyway. Maybe you can sneak 3 ounces of hot sauce in with you. If you want something spicy there are good Indian restaurants.

As for warm beer - an excellent beer that actually has taste should be served a little warm. A Fuller's ESB should be about 50F. It should be a crime to serve it at 35F (might actually be a crime over there...) But don't worry. I'm sure they have plenty of flavorless American beers iced down for the tourists. They'll probably even charge you more than they would for an excellent English ale because you will be drinking an "import".
Fred I hear you guys don't have Nando's chicken over there. I have a feeling you will love it!

IPA's are all the rage over here tend to be a bit overpriced but are very similar to the American style ale. You'll get Coors light or Bud on tap in plenty of cheaper establishments like Wetherspoons. Pretty sure these are brewed in the UK so not too pricey.

I've been to Luton actually and I do agree. How do you know Rhyl? It's just up the road from me.

We are currently going through a big shift in lifestyle and need to make this as cheap as possible, I figured staying somewhere just outside London and travelling in for the days will cut a lot off the price, and maybe even make driving down there more feasible.

Was just thinking you're driving to the far side of London, then you'll have to drive back to Wembley on return. Perhaps check out places to stay near Ealing Broadway, should be cheap as, and much closer to Wembley?

!WARNING! - To anyone reading this thread: Do NOT, under any circumstances fly all the way to the UK and go to a Wetherspoon's Pub. That is unless you want glassing.

Was just thinking you're driving to the far side of London, then you'll have to drive back to Wembley on return. Perhaps check out places to stay near Ealing Broadway, should be cheap as, and much closer to Wembley?

!WARNING! - To anyone reading this thread: Do NOT, under any circumstances fly all the way to the UK and go to a Wetherspoon's Pub. That is unless you want glassing.
Luton is the near side of London for me, was thinking along the lines of driving to a hotel in that area, leaving the car at said hotel, and getting the train into London each day.

As for ' Spoons, all the ones near where I live offer honest grub on a budget and reasonable beer prices from clean taps.

If you are travelling here at great expense for a huge holiday it isn't exactly a destination though.

I did the Houston-London route both ways for years, and the average good price I was getting for non-stop was around $1100. Got a few great deals for $700-ish. Got shafted on timing a few times and ended up with $1800. When the company paid though it was $5000 business class!

BA does a daily non-stop from Austin, so check those rates as well. I've seen them low enough to be worth the drive.

Staying in Luton? You're half way to the Midlands up there!

If you live in the UK and drop into a 'Spoons, it is decent cheap grub. But as a tourist, just don't. It's like going to a TGI Fridays here. Which they have there, and I recommend that you stay clear of those as well. Plenty of other American places if your stomach needs an anchor point while on vacation.

Reactions: JB
I did the Houston-London route both ways for years, and the average good price I was getting for non-stop was around $1100. Got a few great deals for $700-ish. Got shafted on timing a few times and ended up with $1800. When the company paid though it was $5000 business class!

BA does a daily non-stop from Austin, so check those rates as well. I've seen them low enough to be worth the drive.

Staying in Luton? You're half way to the Midlands up there!

If you live in the UK and drop into a 'Spoons, it is decent cheap grub. But as a tourist, just don't. It's like going to a TGI Fridays here. Which they have there, and I recommend that you stay clear of those as well. Plenty of other American places if your stomach needs an anchor point while on vacation.

Do they have a Whataburger's or Tommy's burgers there? A-1 burger or chiliburger is the bomb!

Since people are talking about the trip figure I'll lend some advice for those of you who don't know this trick. When searching for the best prices for airfare, travel accommodations, and hotels search in incognito mode/ private mode, just whatever mode your web browser has that automatically deletes previous search history, cookies, etc. If you search on your regular browser, and don't constantly clear your cookies and stuff the travels sites will see that you have been shopping this for awhile now so they know they don't have to come off of the price as much to get you to buy. Also I think tickets are usually priced cheapest on like Tuesdays and Thursdays

Since people are talking about the trip figure I'll lend some advice for those of you who don't know this trick. When searching for the best prices for airfare, travel accommodations, and hotels search in incognito mode/ private mode, just whatever mode your web browser has that automatically deletes previous search history, cookies, etc. If you search on your regular browser, and don't constantly clear your cookies and stuff the travels sites will see that you have been shopping this for awhile now so they know they don't have to come off of the price as much to get you to buy. Also I think tickets are usually priced cheapest on like Tuesdays and Thursdays

London also has some of the highest airport tax in the world, so cheap to London isn't the same as cheap everywhere else. If you want to connect out of Newark (United) or Miami (American) there are some pretty good deals. Lufthansa to Frankfurt on the A-380 then connecting to London wasn't bad either. Try searching for Manchester flights then taking a train down to London. But expect to pay for non-stop.

Do they have a Whataburger's or Tommy's burgers there? A-1 burger or chiliburger is the bomb!

Nope. Most of the national level chains though. The only American chains there that taste like it does here were Chipotle or Five Guys.

Well, there was also Taco Bell if you like that level of gastronomical distress. But there is only one in the London area at a mall on the far east side of town. I will admit to driving 45 miles to go there because my daughter was craving it.

London also has some of the highest airport tax in the world, so cheap to London isn't the same as cheap everywhere else. If you want to connect out of Newark (United) or Miami (American) there are some pretty good deals. Lufthansa to Frankfurt on the A-380 then connecting to London wasn't bad either. Try searching for Manchester flights then taking a train down to London. But expect to pay for non-stop.

Lufthansa was by far the nicest airline I have been on. Went to Italy last spring, connected in Frankfurt. But the flight there was United and not a very good experience, flight back was Lufthansa, incredible experience and free booze the whole like 14 hour flight back lol. Also recommend on those longer flights to get one of those double decker planes and sit on the top deck. Like 1/3 or 1/4 the amount of people that's on the bottom deck, so less noise, less competition for the bathroom, flight attendants can attend to you better since they have less to take care of, and if you sit next to the window I think on pretty much all of them the window rows are 2 to a row on the upper deck as oppose to 3, so if it's just you and another going you don't get stuck sitting next to a stranger for 12+ hours

Lufthansa was by far the nicest airline I have been on. Went to Italy last spring, connected in Frankfurt. But the flight there was United and not a very good experience, flight back was Lufthansa, incredible experience and free booze the whole like 14 hour flight back lol. Also recommend on those longer flights to get one of those double decker planes and sit on the top deck. Like 1/3 or 1/4 the amount of people that's on the bottom deck, so less noise, less competition for the bathroom, flight attendants can attend to you better since they have less to take care of, and if you sit next to the window I think on pretty much all of them the window rows are 2 to a row on the upper deck as oppose to 3, so if it's just you and another going you don't get stuck sitting next to a stranger for 12+ hours

KLM was awesome also... upper deck was business class only, window seats like a sofa

What?

That's racist and completely false
Incorrect. It is true, and it is not racist - it is appreciating diversity and cultural differences. I am not saying there is anything wrong with them going to Golden Corral or, not to sound racist, Cracker Barrel and enjoying a bunch of bland meat loaf, chicken pot pie, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, and jello (blue or green). But it's not spicy, it's bland. If this is not clear, go to a Thai restaurant and order your meal "very spicy, extra hot" to enjoy a non-bland meal.

Fred I hear you guys don't have Nando's chicken over there. I have a feeling you will love it!

IPA's are all the rage over here tend to be a bit overpriced but are very similar to the American style ale. You'll get Coors light or Bud on tap in plenty of cheaper establishments like Wetherspoons. Pretty sure these are brewed in the UK so not too pricey.
That is what I was saying, probably easy to get flavorless American beers like Coors Light and Bud Light served nice and cold. I don't drink that swill here, I certainly wouldn't seek it out there. I would look for local brews at a real pub.

Incorrect. It is true, and it is not racist - it is appreciating diversity and cultural differences. I am not saying there is anything wrong with them going to Golden Corral or, not to sound racist, Cracker Barrel and enjoying a bunch of bland meat loaf, chicken pot pie, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, and jello (blue or green). But it's not spicy, it's bland. If this is not clear, go to a Thai restaurant and order your meal "very spicy, extra hot" to enjoy a non-bland meal.

Did you grow up in Idaho or something? Never been in Texas or even Louisiana? Tell Emil his food is bland if you're brave enough. I would dare you to try some Eastex cooking but this is a MB where the truth is stranger than fiction to some

We stayed up by Baker St. station (Regent's Park) for new years 2001/2002 at a nice little B&B. Hoping to find something as non-pretentious as that this time around. Bought unlimited train pass and hopped all over for 5 days.

(Hopefully this time I won't end up on the wrong side of Westminster bridge when the tube closes down!)

That is what I was saying, probably easy to get flavorless American beers like Coors Light and Bud Light served nice and cold. I don't drink that swill here, I certainly wouldn't seek it out there. I would look for local brews at a real pub.
Budweiser is brewed locally in the UK under license and tastes a bit different to the US swill. So different it's almost drinkable in fact.

Really, if you're in England and are not drinking the local ale, you're missing out on the best reason for being there.

Incorrect. It is true, and it is not racist - it is appreciating diversity and cultural differences.
What a load
d570bf2a6ebf32619ecd96365a46ea55--movie-tv-the-movie.jpg

Last edited:
What a load of
d570bf2a6ebf32619ecd96365a46ea55--movie-tv-the-movie.jpg

I mean technically he is not wrong, here in America our cuisine is like our culture, it's a giant melting pot of everything so our food especially down south isn't as bland as traditional Caucasian cuisine. Bland in itself doesn't mean lack of flavor like you're probably thinking, but lack of spice. Hot peppers weren't really indigenous in Europe, like they were in India, Asia, and Central and South America's so the cuisines they developed were generally bland or not spicy. Spanish cuisine for instance is world renowned, but has no spice to it so it by definition is bland. British food has been known for being bland forever, even though they supposedly have had a culinary revolution within the last twenty or so years to break this stigma. I can't confirm or deny this though. Us down here in Houston don't really eat a lot of "bland" food, we have huge influences from all over the world as we are one of the most diverse cities in the world, but especially because of our huge influence from the Mexican cuisine. But you can kind of see how lack of certain cultural influence on cuisines lead to the bland description by just going up North. I've ate a plate in Nebraska that had a 3 pepper symbol next to it warning people it was very spicy, didn't really even register on my palate, similarly when we have relatives from up North come down to visit I have to really monitor how I cook because even using black pepper to a certain amount will leave to food to spicy, and inedible for them.

Spanish cuisine for instance is world renowned, but has no spice to it so it by definition is bland.

Just going to use this excerpt as an example of where you're off.

Bland does not mean lacking heat. It means lacking flavor. You used the textbook example of wrong. Spanish food has tons of spices and flavors. It's the opposite of bland.

Plain rice, oatmeal = bland. Paella, not bland at all.

Just going to use this as an example. Bland does not mean lacking heat. It means lacking flavor. You used the textbook example of wrong. Spanish food has tons of spices and flavors. It's the opposite of bland.

it can be either or, mild or lacking of flavor. I was assuming he was meaning the mild definition as saying it lacks flavor would be wrong

(of food or drink) mild or insipid.
"bland and unadventurous vegetarian dish"
synonyms: tasteless, flavorless, insipid, mild, savourless, unflavored, weak, thin, watery, watered-down, spiceless, unappetizing;
informalwishy-washy
"the peppers give the bland turkey a piquant flavor"

They have KFCs, Mickey-D's, and Burger Kings over there.
There are no Whataburger's outside of the US.

Edit:
I just remembered they have Krispy Kreme places too. That surprised me, I must confess.

it can be either or, mild or lacking of flavor.

Putting aside the source, food from Spain is then not definitionally bland as you asserted since it has tons of flavor.

Pulling mild out of that definition misses the meaning. That would be like pulling vegetarian dish out and concluding all are bland. The overall point is lacking flavor.

It's bland in the since it has no spice, if that is the definition of bland you are going with which I assumed the poster was

There are all sorts spices other than those for heat. Ever hear of rosemary, oregano, thyme, etc? They're commonly found in a SPICE rack.

Again bland is lacking in flavor.

Did you grow up in Idaho or something? Never been in Texas or even Louisiana? Tell Emil his food is bland if you're brave enough. I would dare you to try some Eastex cooking but this is a MB where the truth is stranger than fiction to some
Thanks for making my point. Idaho = white people. Louisana = lots of Cajun and black infuence. Texas = huge melting pot of cultures and cuisines. Even the white people in Texas have more good sense than just to eat bland white people food all the time.

There are all sorts spices other than those for heat. Ever hear of rosemary, oregano, thyme, etc? They're commonly found in a SPICE rack.

Again bland is lacking in flavor.

Mild OR Insipid

Mild- lacking heat
Insipid- lacking flavor

it can be either or and I have heard it used as such both ways by actual chefs, welcome to the English language where we have 1 word with 20 different meanings , and 20 words all with the same meaning

Mild OR Insipid

Mild- lacking heat
Insipid- lacking flavor

it can be either or and I have heard it used as such both ways by actual chefs, welcome to the English language where we have 1 word with 20 different meanings , and 20 words all with the same meaning

Lol at the idea you could find a single chef who would say food from Spain is bland. And that's the point.

Yes a word can have several meanings. And it can be misused by taking the wrong meaning in the wrong place.

Just going to use this excerpt as an example of where you're off.

Bland does not mean lacking heat. It means lacking flavor. You used the textbook example of wrong. Spanish food has tons of spices and flavors. It's the opposite of bland.

Plain rice, oatmeal = bland. Paella, not bland at all.

What i was coming in here to say. Don't know what spots ya'll eat mexican food at...spice and heat are very much apart of the TRUE mexican cuisine spots...heat not so much the Tex-Mex joints though.

Lol at the idea you could find a single chef who would say food from Spain is bland. And that's the point.

Yes a word can have several meanings. And it can be misused by taking the wrong meaning in the wrong place.

I said I heard a chef use the term bland to describe something lacking any heat, not that he was describing Spanish food there.

Whether you want to stay ignorant to it or not, it's in the definition. Bland can either be lacking flavor, or lacking heat. I chose to go with the lacking heat definition as that's what the poster seemed to be implying. Hence why he said to bring hot sauce, if he said white people's food traditionally is bland, as in lacking flavor, he would be wrong but if he was saying it as in it traditionally lacks heat then he would be correct

are you implying that Spanish cuisine(as in food from Spain) is the same as Mexican cuisine?

Actually, that is my fault for reading the greater than/less than wrong. I am accustomed to seeing it represented as and thus thought you were equating them as equal. My apologies and I would remove the offending post but I think it may make the remainder of this conversation difficult to read.

As for this thread, on the whole, there is a staggering amount of misinformation and naivety about London and the UK in general.

I said I heard a chef use the term bland to describe something lacking any heat, not that he was describing Spanish food there.

Whether you want to stay ignorant to it or not, it's in the definition. Bland can either be lacking flavor, or lacking heat. I chose to go with the lacking heat definition as that's what the poster seemed to be implying. Hence why he said to bring hot sauce, if he said white people's food traditionally is bland, as in lacking flavor, he would be wrong but if he was saying it as in it traditionally lacks heat then he would be correct
Once again, what exactly comprises "Caucasian cuisine" or "white people's food" that you speak of?

That non-spicy, never hot concoction we call Chili?

I think I prefer Gumbo and potato salad over something called Bubble and squeak.

My taste buds prefer a combo of Cajun and Soul food. Nothing wrong with smoked ham hocks and pintos. Keep a bottle of Louisiana hot sauce and a can of slap ya momma seasoning handy. Bland will be the last thing you worry about.

Doubt you can find any cornbread in England. Any BBQ brisket?

Wash it all down with a cup of dark coffee.

To stay on topic I will stay home and watch the Jag / Texans game on the telley.

:coffee:

Once again, what exactly comprises "Caucasian cuisine" or "white people's food" that you speak of?

I was meaning like European food, since that is where the majority of caucasian people have migrated from. British, French, German, Spanish, etc foods

Chili wasnt started by white people either

I was meaning like European food, since that is where the majority of caucasian people have migrated from. British, French, German, Spanish, etc foods

Chili wasnt started by white people either

Some of the locations are beginnning to fade for exactness, but there was a place near the river with a lot of vendor stands. One in particular had a seasoned roasted pig. It was so good I had to find a table and take a seat.

Thanks for making my point. Idaho = white people. Louisana = lots of Cajun and black infuence. Texas = huge melting pot of cultures and cuisines. Even the white people in Texas have more good sense than just to eat bland white people food all the time.

Houston 49.3% white
London 44.9% white

Just saying.

your statement is correct.
However....

paella-main.jpg

That's Paella. One of many 'signature' Spanish dishes.
That look "bland" to you?

...not trying to be a smarta$$ (this convo doesn't call for one :D) just trying to illustrate what NOT bland means to me.
It is awesome. Not spicy hot and definitely not bland. Sure, maybe Spanish folks are technically white but I would advise against ordering Paella in a diner in Idaho.

If people are claiming Spanish, Mexican, Soul, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Cuban, Japanese, and Mediterranean food as whitey white English food then I say "cultural appropriation".

If people are claiming Spanish, Mexican, Soul, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Cuban, Japanese, and Mediterranean food as whitey white English food then I say "cultural appropriation".

How about cultural appreciation?

Anyway there was this whole East India Company ... Indian food is as much a part of English food as bbq is to US.

Edit - we cross posted.

Thus there are excellent Indian restaurants just like I said in my first post.
Yeah, but you also said "There are still white people there," which is a bit silly. London is the archetypal ethnic melting pot and compares favorably to just about anywhere when it comes to diversity (assuming we think diversity is a good thing).

Saying the food is bland there is 40 years out of date, and saying it's white is just a bit ignorant.

Not trying to pick a fight, as you obviously like good beer which automatically places you in the very top tier of humankind, just trying to correct an unfair stereotype.

How about cultural appreciation?
Absolutely. I am all about cultural appreciation. That's why I like all those other cuisines better than white bread with white rice with white chicken meat with mashed potatoes. "Cultural appropriation" is just a ridiculious concept I was poking fun at.
Yeah, but you also said "There are still white people there," which is a bit silly. London is the archetypal ethnic melting pot and compares favorably to just about anywhere when it comes to diversity (assuming we think diversity is a good thing).

Saying the food is bland there is 40 years out of date, and saying it's white is just a bit ignorant.

Not trying to pick a fight, as you obviously like good beer which automatically places you in the very top tier of humankind, just trying to correct an unfair stereotype.
Yeah, what was really ignorant on my part was assuming that people on the internet have a sense of humor. Especially white people apparently. Anyone (not aimed at you) who gets their panties in a wad over "there's white people so the food is bland" instead of having a chuckle has issues.

Although I do think the "there's lots of non-whites there now so the food doesn't suck anymore" proves my (jesting) point instead of disproving it. If I go into a Mexican or Indian restaurant and all the customers are white I am tempted to walk out because the food won't be very good.

Not joking - I do think it is a damning commentary on the taste of most Americans (including non-whites) that bazillions of cases of Coors Light, Bud Light, and Miller Lite are flying off the shelves when for 20 or 30% more $ they could buy excellent beers that actually have flavor (and 50 to 100% more alcohol not that anyone is counting).

Reactions: Max
Back