Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans sign Justin Britt Center

No.
I simply look for an admission that the risk of this signing is high
Well I see this thread has gotten nasty.

I will trust Doc CnD's evals of Britt over Doc 76's evals of Britt returning to his previous level of play.

Honestly, the thread is just this side of lockable.

and one poster expecting others to acknowledge that his subjective opinion is correct is laughable.

Honestly, the thread is just this side of lockable.

and one poster expecting others to acknowledge that his subjective opinion is correct is laughable.
I don't 76 is looking for anyone to agree that his point of view is correct or the only right course, I think it's just to acknowledge that it is a point. We should know that he will go to great lengths to get his point across. I kind of find his tenacity amusing with all the information (useful) he provides and I will still think he is dead a$$ wrong at times.

I've been looking up Britt's injury history, as well as his performance record; here I will start by listing the details.
You guys can ask Doc CNND to give his thoughts.

Reported as having surgery for Jones fracture on his left foot in the summer.
The time table for the injury is normally 6-8 weeks (Doc can elaborate).

He would come back in the fall.

Same year, 2012.
November.
Missed the rest of the season.
I think it was 3-1/2 games.
Suffer an ACL that requires surgery.

"ACL surgery and maybe more".

This is his first ACL surgery and not his last.

I don't 76 is looking for anyone to agree that his point of view is correct or the only right course, I think it's just to acknowledge that it is a point. We should know that he will go to great lengths to get his point across. I kind of find his tenacity amusing with all the information (useful) he provides and I will still think he is dead a$$ wrong at times.

No at this point we are completely into :deadhorse territory. I'm not even sure what his point is, at first i thought it was that Caserio made a bad signing, then that Justin Britt would be a bad center, then that he will be injured again now I have no clue what the hell his point is. Whats more I really, really don't care.

A player with a long history of injury isn't a risk?

That is not an opinion; it is fact.

Bro, the guy YOU highlighted has a longer history of injury than Britt does. In fact, his injury history was a major factor in why the Panthers decided to move on. 2015-18 He missed 24 games in 4 years. You know how many Britt missed in that time?.....1. Hell, even with him missing 8 last year, he still hasn't missed as many as Williams.

I've got NFL gamepass which allows you to go back and watch NFL games and All-22 game tape as far back as 2009. so i've been going back, watching some of Britt's games...watched the game he was injured in against ATL. And now that you've brought this Williams dude up i will go & watch him.

Oh, & i brought up the Pats trading for Trent Brown again b/c it illustrates what i'm saying about how you're overvaluing this Williams dude. The Pats would rather go out and pay Brown 11 million to come in & play 1 of their tackle positions than try to go after this Williams kid. That and the fact that he's back on the market, tells me that those in the know don't even believe that he's as good of a value as you apparently do.

Last edited:
Oct 23
Low ankle sprain vs Giants wk 7
On injury report through Nov 3, missed some practices.
He soldiered on, but his play suffered as reported.

Aug 4 (Pre Season)
Tweaked backs and missed some practices.
Sep 17
Shoulder injury PS game vs Bears.
Play through both injuries, but at a cost.

Sep 28
Off the injury list.
The injury was deemed as "nasty" and affected his play, as reflected in his PFF grade.

Knee injury in game 8 that required another ACL Surgery. Out of the NFL until now.
Pete Carroll called it a major one.
It was suspected that he may have incurred the injury as early as week 1.
A Sept 12 injury report listed him with a knee injury and he had missed some practices then.

Bro, the guy YOU highlighted has a longer history of injury than Britt does. In fact, his injury history was a major factor in why the Panthers decided to move on. 2015-18 He missed 24 games in 4 years. You know how many Britt missed in that time?.....1. Hell, even with him missing 8 last year, he still hasn't missed as many as Williams.

I've got NFL gamepass which allows you to go back and watch NFL games and All-22 game tape as far back as 2009. so i've been going back, watching some of Britt's games...watched the game he was injured in against ATL. And now that you've brought this Williams dude up i will go & watch him.
Just the first part:
Again, I want to reiterate that bringing up Williams is not to compare their plays.
Actually, Britt has a more lengthy injury history as I had detailed in the above posts.
Regardless, the point is to offer as little guaranteed money as possible to a player with an injury history.

Oct 23
Low ankle sprain vs Giants wk 7
On injury report through Nov 3, missed some practices.
He soldiered on, but his play suffered as reported.

Those ankle sprains tend to do that. Chris Myers injured his ankle going into the 2009 season but still came back to start the season & game 1 Kris Jenkins made him look like a high schooler & ragdolled him all game long. Fans here were about ready to throw in the towel on Myers. We all know what Myers went on to be with this franchise.

I've got NFL gamepass which allows you to go back and watch NFL games and All-22 game tape as far back as 2009. so i've been going back, watching some of Britt's games...watched the game he was injured in against ATL.

So what is your thoughts watching him play?

(Forget about Williams; we're not comparing their play)

I found out last night that the two of PFF high grades that I had mentioned were PBE (Pass Blocking Efficiency); not his overall grade.
I will get to that later.

When I get back in town, I plan to watch some of his game films, too.
But in the meantime; I'm all ears.

Those ankle sprains tend to do that. Chris Myers injured his ankle going into the 2009 season but still came back to start the season & game 1 Kris Jenkins made him look like a high schooler & ragdolled him all game long. Fans here were about ready to throw in the towel on Myers. We all know what Myers went on to be with this franchise.
Yes. I'm well aware of that.
We just don't know how much of an affect it could add to his other injuries though.
I'm hoping Doc CNND will take a look at it.

So what is your thoughts watching him play?

(Forget about Williams; we're not comparing their play)

I found out last night that the two of PFF high grades that I had mentioned were PBE (Pass Blocking Efficiency); not his overall grade.
I will get to that later.

When I get back in town, I plan to watch some of his game films, too.
But in the meantime; I'm all ears.

Really too early for me to give anything other than the contrasts physically. Britt looks to be much sturdier/stronger in the trunk area than Martin. He also plays with a better base imo; feet are always spaced well.

Really too early for me to give anything other than the contrasts physically. Britt looks to be much sturdier/stronger in the trunk area than Martin. He also plays with a better base imo; feet are always spaced well.
Britt is a bigger guy.

What I've been reading is that at Center, he's a better pass blocker than a run blocker in their zone scheme. His worse area seems to be in space (on the second level).
I wonder how much zone the SeaHawks were running in these particular years.
I don't think the Texans run much of a zone scheme, so maybe this will suit his skill set better?

When you have more time to watch, let us know.

maybe it’s my imagination but seems NC has been making good decisions since he’s arrived. Maybe in a couple of years if he keeps it up a few folks may quit complaining about him. On the other hand I find him an interesting read and am quite interested in this rebuild process now.

Other than re-signing Johnson and cutting Martin, what has he done really? Hell, he didn’t even get to hire his HC.

With their cap situation they won’t do much in free agency. Their draft situation is limited. And their All-Pro QB is likely sitting out. Yeah, he didn’t tag Fuller, but he couldn’t really afford to if he wanted to. That would have eaten every bit of cap they have left.

Gonna be a minute before we really have a chance to see what he’s about, and more importantly, at least to me, to see if he’s really just a puppet of the Pastor or not. If he is, he’s going to have limitations simply on the pool of players he can draw from. That’s going to make this attempt at a resurrection of this franchise very long and drawn out, and very likely unsuccessful.

Just my opinion of course, but right now there just isn’t anything to judge him on either way.

maybe it’s my imagination but seems NC has been making good decisions since he’s arrived. Maybe in a couple of years if he keeps it up a few folks may quit complaining about him. On the other hand I find him an interesting read and am quite interested in this rebuild process now.
It's way too early to make any kind of a call on NC.
That much I had stated a few times (including in other threads).

Other than re-signing Johnson and cutting Martin, what has he done really? Hell, he didn’t even get to hire his HC.

With their cap situation they won’t do much in free agency. Their draft situation is limited. And their All-Pro QB is likely sitting out. Yeah, he didn’t tag Fuller, but he couldn’t really afford to if he wanted to. That would have eaten every bit of cap they have left.

Gonna be a minute before we really have a chance to see what he’s about, and more importantly, at least to me, to see if he’s really just a puppet of the Pastor or not. If he is, he’s going to have limitations simply on the pool of players he can draw from. That’s going to make this attempt at a resurrection of this franchise very long and drawn out, and very likely unsuccessful.

Just my opinion of course, but right now there just isn’t anything to judge him on either way.
Is in my book.

It's not the Pastor

It's the McNair's and its been this way since way before the pastor got here.

Just put this for future reference.
The Chiefs are remaking their Oline.
One of them is the UFA Center Austin Reiler, who had consistently graded above 70 for 3 consecutive years.

Missed a few games last year due to an ankle injury.

Still, the Chiefs got a bargain by picking him up.
He only costs them $5M for 28 starts the last two years (and was a cheap back up with a few starts in 2018).

We'll see how it goes on the market.

But we're not talking about the Britt of 3-4 years ago.

Look at DJ as an example; and he didn't even have that bad of an injury history.

My point: 3M plus guaranteed money for such a player is a big risk; no matter how you slice it.

https://overthecap.com/player/justin-britt/3003

So the early information regarding Britt's contract was totally wrong. He doesn't get $3.2M guaranteed outright.

He gets only $500K signing bonus.
If he makes the team, he earns another $1.5M plus the 75K per game roster bonus.

This is much much better than it was originally painted.

Currently, it's 20th in pay, but only if he makes it through 16 games.
(And the pay should get lower as another hand full FA Centers are supposed to get a bump in their pay in the coming days.)

So all this "rant" is for nothing.
There's NO BIG RISk associated with this signing.

I hereby withdraw my complaint. :)

Last edited:
https://overthecap.com/player/justin-britt/3003

So the early information regarding Britt's contract was totally wrong. He doesn't get $3.2M guaranteed outright.

He gets only $500K signing bonus.
If he makes the team, he earns another $1.5M plus the 75K per game roster bonus.

This is much much better than it was originally painted.

Currently, it's 20nd in pay, but only if he makes it through 16 games.
(And the pay should get lower as another hand full FA Centers are supposed to get a bump in their pay in the coming days.)

So all this "rant" is for nothing.
There's NO BIG RISk associated with this signing.

I hereby withdraw my complaint. :)

I'm betting that quite a few of these recent journeyman type signings are structured similarly

Just put this for future reference.
The Chiefs are remaking their Oline.
One of them is the UFA Center Austin Reiler, who had consistently graded above 70 for 3 consecutive years.

Missed a few games last year due to an ankle injury.

Still, the Chiefs got a bargain by picking him up.
He only costs them $5M for 28 starts the last two years (and was a cheap back up with a few starts in 2018).

We'll see how it goes on the market.
So are you saying this guy was available a few weeks ago and we should have signed him?

So are you saying this guy was available a few weeks ago and we should have signed him?
Yes, he's mulling a couple of offers at the moment.

PFF grade for the last 3 years: 74.2, 79.2 (9th), 70.9
The Chiefs got him on the cheap for an average of $2M per year.

So he's like an average center in the league, and will get a pay raise.

If so would you consider those deals to be good deals?

Generally, I think it's a good way to aquire FA, so in that sense I would be favorable to most of the deals but it's really a case by case basis kind of thing.

Obviously the deals are better with limited or no guaranteed money. And that's what I'm hoping is the case for the majority of the signings. Cut bait it they don't play to the standard of the contract. In the meantime, you've got a lot of veteran competition.

Back