Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans sign Justin Britt Center

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
My point: 3M plus guaranteed money for such a player is a big risk; no matter how you slice it.
Depends on the information Caserio has, which we don't. Our board doctor says Britt should be good to go. Hopefully, Caserio's people have reported as optimistically.

Still, $3M doesn't sound like a lot to me. I don't really understand all the hubbub. Sounds like a flyer on a possible starter.

Low priced vet.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Depends on the information Caserio has, which we don't. Our board doctor says Britt should be good to go. Hopefully, Caserio's people have reported as optimistically.

Still, $3M doesn't sound like a lot to me. I don't really understand all the hubbub. Sounds like a flyer on a possible starter.

Low priced vet.
The Doc commented on one surgery.
Britt had had two.
And that's not counting the instances where surgery wasn't required, on top of other ailments over the years.
He had visited other teams and did not get an offer.
I don't know what make you trust the Texans medical staff.
27th and 29th rated is NOT a starter in my book.

Also, there's no hubhub here; just keeping tab of NC's moves.

$3M2 guaranteed is way overpaying for a backup in case you don't know the going rate.
And you don't know if he even makes it past TC.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I dare you to look up the history of all players in the NFL that was graded 27th or worse two years in a row, out of the league for another year, with a similar injury history, that came back and play at a level that justifies paying him low 2nd tier starting money.
Not only that, the money was guarantee even before he played a single snap.
I dare you to not take PFF's word as gospel and watch some film on Britt/Martin.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
There are at least 3 UFAs on that list that are worth exploring.
They may require about $4M per or more, but they're healthy.
I'll keep tab of them and we'll revisit this later, maybe half way through the season or something.
Are you sure they will want to sign with the Texans for 4 plus mil?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Particularly on a one year contract.
If you're gonna take a little risk, maybe something like thís:

Daryl Williams was drafted by the Panthers in the fourth round.
He became the starting RT in year two.
He missed 3 games due to an ankle sprain but was able to come back to finish out the year.

Had a great year in 2018 when he started all 16 games and was selected 2nd team ALL PRO (not Pro - Bowl).

In his contract year, he went down with a knee injury in week 1 and was out for the season.

Still, the Panthers signed him to a one year extension worth $6M. He must have checked out medically.

He had a down year, though the Panthers did him no favor by playing him at multiple positions in the same year (every position on the line, including a few snaps at TE/extra tackle, but not at Center).

Taylor Moron came in and played well at RT so the Panthers did not resign him in year 6, which was last year.

The Bills was able to ink him to a one-yr, $2M contract, with just a quarter in signing bonus; nothing else was guaranteed.

Guess what?
He rebounded with a fairly good year (79.4) that makes the $2M look like peanuts.

And PFF called it right, in this particular case:

The Bills fans are hoping they will resign him.

So yeah, there that was; a low risk - high reward deal that one hopes a $30-M GM can pull.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Is this signing worse than giving Matt Khalil a $7.5 million deal with $2.25 million guaranteed? If it isn't worse then there has been some improvement at NRG. In other words, baby steps.
Khalil should be a cautionary tale for Texans fans, whether the new deal is worse or not.
The Texans cut bait on Khalil and was on the hook for only the guaranteed portion.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Y'all don't have anything better to counter?
Do you really not see how your interpretation of things is biased bro?

From your last post on Daryl Williams before the one above:

He had a down year, though the Panthers did him no favor by playing him at multiple positions in the same year (every position on the line, including a few snaps at TE/extra tackle, but not at Center).
To excuse ol' boy's poor performance all the while also conveniently dismissing the fact that the Panthers still let him go. Even in the articles you provided the Bills didn't even believe he would perform well....& judging by him being out on the market as a FA, they must still don't believe he can stay healthy....which has been his main issue.

he's answered the bell as a starter for all 16 games in a season just once in his career...........with meniscus issues on the same knee on 2 separate occasions which is something you sort of gloss over in your post with this statement:

Taylor Moron came in and played well at RT so the Panthers did not resign him in year 6, which was last year.
That guy Taylor MOTON that you play off as JUST coming in and playing well while Williams was out in that 1 year has actually been with the team since 2017 & was the guy filling in for him at RT all those years he was out missing games...On top of that, the kid was not only durable having started all 16 games at the tackle position for 3 straight years, he was also playing it BETTER than Williams was. So the whole "doing him no favors thing" was an attempt by the Panthers to find a place for his injury prone ass on thier O-line b/c Moton had effectively taken his spot.

So aside from the fact that he doesn't play center, and he's played over a 1000 snaps in his career just twice, & him being back on the FA market for the 2nd time in 3 years, (red flag) what makes you think that taking a flyer on an oft-injured guy at a position we don't definitely need at the moment is THAT much better of an option than the one that we took with Britt at a position of need? B/c PFF graded him higher?

C'mon man. You're fishing.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club

To excuse ol' boy's poor performance all the while also conveniently dismissing the fact that the Panthers still let him go. Even in the articles you provided the Bills didn't even believe he would perform well....& judging by him being out on the market as a FA, they must still don't believe he can stay healthy....which has been his main issue.

he's answered the bell as a starter for all 16 games in a season just once in his career...........with meniscus issues on the same knee on 2 separate occasions which is something you sort of gloss over in your post with this statement:

That guy Taylor MOTON that you play off as JUST coming in and playing well while Williams was out in that 1 year has actually been with the team since 2017 & was the guy filling in for him at RT all those years he was out missing games...On top of that, the kid was not only durable having started all 16 games at the tackle position for 3 straight years, he was also playing it BETTER than Williams was. So the whole "doing him no favors thing" was an attempt by the Panthers to find a place for his injury prone ass on thier O-line b/c Moton had effectively taken his spot.

So aside from the fact that he doesn't play center, and he's played over a 1000 snaps in his career just twice, & him being back on the FA market for the 2nd time in 3 years, (red flag) what makes you think that taking a flyer on an oft-injured guy at a position we don't definitely need at the moment is THAT much better of an option than the one that we took with Britt at a position of need? B/c PFF graded him higher?

Actually, because it's Texans move, he'd rather spend hours on the negatives than acknowledge any positive particle someone might point out. He's been that way since Keenum was released

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If you're gonna take a little risk, maybe something like thís:

Daryl Williams was drafted by the Panthers in the fourth round.
He became the starting RT in year two.
He missed 3 games due to an ankle sprain but was able to come back to finish out the year.

Had a great year in 2018 when he started all 16 games and was selected 2nd team ALL PRO (not Pro - Bowl).

In his contract year, he went down with a knee injury in week 1 and was out for the season.

Still, the Panthers signed him to a one year extension worth $6M. He must have checked out medically.

The Bills was able to ink him to a one-yr, $2M contract, with just a quarter in signing bonus; nothing else was guaranteed.

Guess what?
He rebounded with a fairly good year (79.4) that makes the $2M look like peanuts.

And PFF called it right, in this particular case:

The Bills fans are hoping they will resign him.

So yeah, there that was; a low risk - high reward deal that one hopes a $30-M GM can pull.
Your example for what Caserio should have done is an All-Pro RT that never played center? At a million dollars less.

:ok:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
He reminds me of these folks I see on these court shows like judge Judy. These folks try to sue business owners for exorbitant amounts when the service or product isn’t even worth that much AND all reasonable accommodations were made by the business owners to make them happy so as to not go to court.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

What part of 250K guaranteed money that you don't get?
You can sign 9 guys like that with Britt's money and see which one pans out in camp.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Your example for what Caserio should have done is an All-Pro RT that never played center? At a million dollars less.

:ok:
You guys haven't got a leg to stand on, so you guys have to find things to knitpick.

You know darn well it's just an example of FAs, the risk of injury, vs. the guaranteed money.

The point is the risk vs. the reward, and no position in particular.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
:ahhaha:
Fine, you win, Justin Britt has got to be one of the worse signing in not just NFL but all of sports history. Hell Caserio should not only be fired but banned from not just working in the NFL but even from watching, reading or hearing about all of football. Forget the Watson drama, forget the questionable coach hires, forget Cal, forget Easterby, forget everything in Texans history this, this is truly the sign that we are a doomed franchise and there is no hope. All I can say is thank you for imparting such knowledge and wisdom on all us poor simple minded fools for you have truly shown us the light.

There that what you were looking for?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
RT is a position that got paid more than Center.

The concept of forking out as little signing bonus as possible is really simple.
You get the guy into TC where you have plenty of time to check him out to see if his return from injury is likely from the way he works and moves, etc.
You can cut him any time before the final roster is set.
The risk (both financially and roster commitment) is minimal at 250K vs. $3.2M. You don't have to feel like you need to prolong the pain just because you had that much money invested in the guy already.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Fine, you win, Justin Britt has got to be one of the worse signing in not just NFL but all of sports history. Hell Caserio should not only be fired but banned from not just working in the NFL but even from watching, reading or hearing about all of football. Forget the Watson drama, forget the questionable coach hires, forget Cal, forget Easterby, forget everything in Texans history this, this is truly the sign that we are a doomed franchise and there is no hope. All I can say is thank you for imparting such knowledge and wisdom on all us poor simple minded fools for you have truly shown us the light.

There that what you were looking for?
No.
I simply look for an admission that the risk of this signing is high vs. the cash invested.
Nothing earth shattering.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
RT is a position that got paid more than Center.

The concept of forking out as little signing bonus as possible is really simple.
You get the guy into TC where you have plenty of time to check him out to see if his return from injury is likely from the way he works and moves, etc.
You can cut him any time before the final roster is set.
The risk (both financially and roster commitment) is minimal at 250K vs. $3.2M. You don't have to feel like you need to prolong the pain just because you had that much money invested in the guy already.
I understand what you are saying. Like I said, let's hope NC has better information than we do.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You don't know if they weren't looked at. Furthermore, its a long way from "exploring" those guys to locking them down under a similar or better deal. Like Britt they're on the market for a reason. At least we know what Britt was out there for. So I wouldn't be to keen on giving these guys you're talking about 4 mil or more(who are all in the same FA pool as Britt is) just b/c they're healthy. Martin was healthy all last year & was also hot garbage too.
Another thing I was thinking about is that if there's a different deal that can be made, it doesn't necessarily have to be a one-yr deal.
It depends on how they (the FO and owner) view the "rebuild".
What is it that they might be looking for?

What purpose does a one year deal with a guy like Britt serve? In your opinion?

For a new QB that they may draft this year, next year?
For the case that Watson may change his mind?
For a QB they may obtain through the draft?
Or a QB they may obtain through Watson's trade?

In the best case scenario, where Britt comes back and plays well enough (mid-level or better); he's going to be an UFA again by year end. What then?
Doesn't it mean the Texans are paying for the experiment and now still has to bid for his service again?

How about Britt plays like above but goes down again some time during the year?

And so on.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
:ahhaha:
Counter what? That you've rolled the post count to 6 plus pages over the signing of a center in March?

I guess it beats non-stop Watson trade talk, so props for that.

No.
I simply look for an admission that the risk of this signing is high vs. the cash invested.
Nothing earth shattering.
Apparently it IS earth shattering, if your so far 43 replies and counting in this thread about it are any indication. Run for the ******* hills, an injury risk, $3M center! AAAAAAAAAH!!!! You have to shoot it through the head or it won't die!!!!!!! PLEASE DON'T EAT MY CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!

High risk signing vs. cash invested? No shit. Still a better signing than redoing David Johnson. And like I said way up thread, if you're freaking about a center in March, you don't stand a chance come September. Wait til the backup to the backup QB who has to start thread gets started.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Counter what? That you've rolled the post count to 6 plus pages over the signing of a center in March?

Apparently it IS earth shattering, if your so far 43 replies and counting in this thread about it are any indication. Run for the ******* hills, an injury risk, $3M center! AAAAAAAAAH!!!! You have to shoot it through the head or it won't die!!!!!!! PLEASE DON'T EAT MY CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!!

High risk signing vs. cash invested? No shit. Still a better signing than redoing David Johnson. And like I said way up thread, if you're freaking about a center in March, you don't stand a chance come September. Wait til the backup to the backup QB who has to start thread gets started.
I said I'm not freaking.
Just interested in keeping count on Caserio's move.
That way, when there's a debate about Rick Smith vs Nick Caserio down the road, we'll have information.
And why does it matter how many posts I have on a subject?
Is there a rule against it?
Or are you the post Nazzi now? :kitten:

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I said I'm not freaking.
Just interested in keeping count on Caserio's move.
That way, when there's a debate about Rick Smith vs Nick Caserio down the road, we'll have information.
And why does it matter how many posts I have on a subject?
Is there a rule against it?
Or are you the post Nazzi now? :kitten:
Couldn't care less what or how much you post. Just pointing out the numbers for the amusement of the gallery. And I do find it amusing for someone to spend that kind of time about a freaking center signing in March. Well, amusing until it's sad.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Couldn't care less what or how much you post. Just pointing out the numbers for the amusement of the gallery. And I do find it amusing for someone to spend that kind of time about a freaking center signing in March. Well, amusing until it's sad.
I hate to counter this kind of post.
It serves no purpose.
Don't forget the forum etiquette: "attack the post, not the poster".

Another thing I was thinking about is that if there's a different deal that can be made, it doesn't necessarily have to be a one-yr deal.
It depends on how they (the FO and owner) view the "rebuild".
What is it that they might be looking for?

What purpose does a one year deal with a guy like Britt serve? In your opinion?

For a new QB that they may draft this year, next year?
For the case that Watson may change his mind?
For a QB they may obtain through the draft?
Or a QB they may obtain through Watson's trade?

In the best case scenario, where Britt comes back and plays well enough (mid-level or better); he's going to be an UFA again by year end. What then?
Doesn't it mean the Texans are paying for the experiment and now still has to bid for his service again?

How about Britt plays like above but goes down again some time during the year?

And so on.
I get your point(s), but it's early March and there are still other options. Could Britt be a bridge for a draft pick or an undrafted free agent rookie? Who knows...

Reactions: JB

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I get your point(s), but it's early March and there are still other options. Could Britt be a bridge for a draft pick or an undrafted free agent rookie? Who knows...
You make me wonder.
He could be like a player coach.
Or the young player(s) can just watch his techniques, his preparation, etc.
That has some value(s).
We'll see.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
What part of 250K guaranteed money that you don't get?
You can sign 9 guys like that with Britt's money and see which one pans out in camp.
Your bargain bin way of building and selecting players has its merits, but you’re on the extreme cheapskates level. You’re in here fretting about 3 million dollars bro.

if this dude is such a low risk high reward signing, why is Buffalo leaving him out on the market? Why didn’t they franchise him yesterday?

Hell why is NE trading back for Trent Brown to play 1 of their tackle positions instead of trying to lock this kid up on the cheap in FA?

The deal we signed Britt for is right in line with a 1 year rental of his caliber. Hell, Your boy in 2019 signed a 1 yr. 6 mil prove it deal with Carolina after having repeated injury concerns in the 2-3 previous seasons.

Come with an apples to apples comparison dude or just leave it alone.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

That made me laugh I gotta say.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
You make me wonder.
He could be like a player coach.
Or the young player(s) can just watch his techniques, his preparation, etc.
That has some value(s).
We'll see.
Your bargain bin way of building and selecting players has its merits, but you’re on the extreme cheapskates level. You’re in here fretting about 3 million dollars bro.

if this dude is such a low risk high reward signing, why is Buffalo leaving him out on the market? Why didn’t they franchise him yesterday?

Hell why is NE trading back for Trent Brown to play 1 of their tackle positions instead of trying to lock this kid up on the cheap in FA?

The deal we signed Britt for is right in line with a 1 year rental of his caliber. Hell, Your boy in 2019 signed a 1 yr. 6 mil prove it deal with Carolina after having repeated injury concerns in the 2-3 previous seasons.

Come with an apples to apples comparison dude or just leave it alone.
1. Regarding Williams, I only happened to look at the free agents, and he was one that jumped out; didn't really intend to be a cheap stake. But at 250K guaranteed, it presents a stark contrast with certain parallels:
- Had played at an All-Pro Level.
- Some injury history, but not as extensive as Britt.

He is an UFA on a one year contract, the Bills can't franchise him.

Their fans want the team to offer him a multi-yr contract now.

But that really is besides the point.

The point is that for a player with a certain injury history, it's more prudent to go about it with as little guaranteed money as possible.

If the Bills could do it, why can't NC?

It's the principle of things rather than sweating 3.2M

2. I'm not sure I follow you about the Trent Brown thing.

3. The deal NC sign with Britt is only in line for a player that can stay on the field. If he goes in the tube, the Texans will be out $3.2M. Also, most deal don't have that high amount of guarantee.
I surmise that the one-yr 6M that D. Williams signed with the Panthers earlier included a reward for a job well done when he made All Pro second team. Good for the team morale.
The team doctors were probably too enthusiastic on the timetable of the return.
He may have had some rust, speaking of which, Britt might as well.
That only made the guaranteed money more risky.
On the bright side, I had noted in above that Britt may have value as a mentor to some young players that the Texans bring into TC.
Even if later, such player(s) is only good for the PS, he/they can still learn from watching Britt in the day to day grind.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Well I see this thread has gotten nasty.

I will trust Doc CnD's evals of Britt over Doc 76's evals of Britt returning to his previous level of play.