Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Scouting

Took a look at Settle and Fatukasi’s draft profiles:

Things that stick out: Both thought of as high ceiling versatile players coming out. Settle’s profile in particular reminds me of Sweat (albeit in a lower tier). Interesting to note that Sweat tested better than him at combine even at 30+ lbs larger. Sweat is truly an outlier.

However, I think they’ll be happy with these two as their “run down” DTs. If they add a body it’ll be somebody more for that 3 technique role imo.

But if they do… a day 3 prospect I like is Fabian Lovett DT FSU. He would fill that “occupy blockers” role and let the QB hunters go… just like at FSU with Verse and Fiske.

If they go that route then we know Autry/Edwards/Khalil Davis will be the inside pass rush DTs.

Things that stick out: Both thought of as high ceiling versatile players coming out. Settle’s profile in particular reminds me of Sweat (albeit in a lower tier). Interesting to note that Sweat tested better than him at combine even at 30+ lbs larger. Sweat is truly an outlier.

However, I think they’ll be happy with these two as their “run down” DTs. If they add a body it’ll be somebody more for that 3 technique role imo.

But if they do… a day 3 prospect I like is Fabian Lovett DT FSU. He would fill that “occupy blockers” role and let the QB hunters go… just like at FSU with Verse and Fiske.

If they go that route then we know Autry/Edwards/Khalil Davis will be the inside pass rush DTs.
Good post arguing against Sweat as a pick. But they are vets with an NFL record. So the question is, do we want better production. This is the question for every position. I mean, we have starters for all 22 players. Offensively we're set at all positions. Defensively, with our free agent signings, our front 7 are set. We've signed CBs. I guess Safety is the one position I haven't looked at closely, but my point is, with this draft, we will be to upgrade players already under contract, some maybe new signings. Sweat's upside is much higher than these two, so he should definitely should be in the mix.

At some point, you want and need foundation players. Sweat if he is the choice, he's on a rookie contract for 4 yrs or more. You need your draft picks to be the foundation of your team imo

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

At some point, you want and need foundation players. Sweat if he is the choice, he's on a rookie contract for 4 yrs or more. You need your draft picks to be the foundation of your team imo

They've got most of their foundational players in the most valuable spots.

Stroud/Hunter/WA/Stingley/Tunsil.

Hunter is not a foundational player, he's 30 on a 2 yr deal. This team doesn't have enough rookie contract players yet.

Ok, take Hunter off the list. My point stands.

How many players do they need on there rookie deals to make you happy?

Defense

Harris, Horton, Petrie,Stingley, WA.

Offense

Stroud, Dell, Green, Juice, Patterson, Pierce, Metchie

Plus they will probably be adding 4-5 more guys from this years draft. They're a young team that's been supplemented by mostly cheap vets. Although this yr they spent fairly big money to add star level players to Ryans defense. But there is really only 4-5 guys that fall into this category.

Nail at least (2) core players in each draft and the foundation should be fine for years to come.

I'm thinking McConkey or Pearsall and Sweat or Wilson if Cooper doesn't fall to 2-42.

3-85 is a good place to pickup a S like Reid was picked up in the 3rd. This would be a good class to get a guy. One of Nubin/Kinchens/Bishop/Bullock should be available and a great value.

Ok, take Hunter off the list. My point stands.

How many players do they need on there rookie deals to make you happy?

Defense

Harris, Horton, Petrie,Stingley, WA.

Offense

Stroud, Dell, Green, Juice, Patterson, Pierce, Metchie

Plus they will probably be adding 4-5 more guys from this years draft. They're a young team that's been supplemented by mostly cheap vets. Although this yr they spent fairly big money to add star level players to Ryans defense. But there is really only 4-5 guys that fall into this category.
Any young guy who is a question mark isn't a foundational piece. So that e
Green,Pierce, Metchie, pitre, Horton are players fighting for a roster spot after this season if they don't play better.

Reactions: JB
Any young guy who is a question mark isn't a foundational piece. So that e
Green,Pierce, Metchie, pitre, Horton are players fighting for a roster spot after this season if they don't play better.
Agreed, but you're missing the point.

The main players at the most important positions are in place and the guys you listed are the players that have the ability to be solid players. Petrie could be more. So could Pierce but probably not in a WCO. They've had some bad luck with cancer.

Link
Mississippi State Pro Day
On Tuesday I reported on Mississippi State pro day but there were several notables in attendance I failed to mention.

They included Chiefs Director of Player Personnel Ryne Nutt, Texans Assistant Director of Pro Scouting DJ Debick, Chargers defensive backs coach Steve Clinkscale, Ravens defensive back coach Chris Hewitt, Jaguars defensive backs coach Kris Richard and New York Jets assistant defensive line coach Ryan Davis.”

Link
Mississippi State Pro Day
On Tuesday I reported on Mississippi State pro day but there were several notables in attendance I failed to mention.

They included Chiefs Director of Player Personnel Ryne Nutt, Texans Assistant Director of Pro Scouting DJ Debick, Chargers defensive backs coach Steve Clinkscale, Ravens defensive back coach Chris Hewitt, Jaguars defensive backs coach Kris Richard and New York Jets assistant defensive line coach Ryan Davis.”
Probably there to checkout Nate Watson.

Agreed, but you're missing the point.

The main players at the most important positions are in place and the guys you listed are the players that have the ability to be solid players. Petrie could be more. So could Pierce but probably not in a WCO. They've had some bad luck with cancer.
I'm not saying they can't be, I'm just saying right now. I don't think Pierce fits, but I can see him as a brian Mitchell type of returner. We will learn alot about metchie in camp. Just because he's in remission doesn't mean he regained all his abilities back instantly. It took Queensbury awhile, but he's still a productive player in the nfl. I never thought that highly of Metchie ability from jump, but he can hopefully take over in the slot. Horton was doing good things too as was Green before he got hurt. Pitre needs to play alot better.

I'm not saying they can't be, I'm just saying right now. I don't think Pierce fits, but I can see him as a brian Mitchell type of returner. We will learn alot about metchie in camp. Just because he's in remission doesn't mean he regained all his abilities back instantly. It took Queensbury awhile, but he's still a productive player in the nfl. I never thought that highly of Metchie ability from jump, but he can hopefully take over in the slot. Horton was doing good things too as was Green before he got hurt. Pitre needs to play alot better.
Re Pierce - I don't think it matters what system you use, because if you put a big body or two out there grading the road, any decent back should be able to get more than 3-4 yards per carry.
Just gotta think outside the "system" box occasionally - if not only to keep the defense guessing.

Re Pierce - I don't think it matters what system you use, because if you put a big body or two out there grading the road, any decent back should be able to get more than 3-4 yards per carry.
Just gotta think outside the "system" box occasionally - if not only to keep the defense guessing.
Not true. There is a reason those shannahan/Kubiak guys have had soo much success with backs drafted late in the rds is because you have to have eye discipline and patience. Those are things that are natural and seldom can be taught. That's one of the reasons Reggie Bush was never an option. Pierce is a get the ball and go runner. I watched him on the all 22 miss hole after hole and just run into tackles. If you don't press the heels, then either keep it frontside or cut it back, you're going to struggle which he did.

Coincidence I think. Caserio gets the guy the coaches want, whether it's Bill Belichick, David Culley, Lovie Smith, or DeMeco Ryans.

Any trends are just fortunate happenstance.
This is the way it should've been down on Kirby the last 20 yrs.

About time

Reactions: JB
Interesting notes on the last 3 Texans drafts. But...

1) In the 2023 draft 1st round, every player selected was from a Power 5 school. Rashee Rice at 2.55 was the first player selected not from a Power 5 school. It's not just Caserio's preference.

2) Where's the data that indicates the Texans select players with good GPS tracking numbers? For all we know, the Texans could rank #31 in that department.

3) Does anyone really believe a prospects high school ranking has jack to do with the Texans selecting them? How about the fact that good high school players tend to be good college players and are selected by the NFL because of that?

Back