Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans reach out to Lovie Smith

Maybe. I'm not sold on this crop of QBs yet (not that I'm anybody). None of them look as good as Carr did coming out of Fresno State in 2002. Not to me.

Derek Carr looks better than David IMO. Better placement and touch on the long ball. Already knows not to run out of bounds behind the LOS.

Rex Ryan if fired
Shaw
Billick
Holmgren

Rex Ryan - yuck in spades.
Billick - please explain? Other than a ring which wasn't won on his strength what does he bring to the table?

I like what I've seen from Derek Carr.

He has the best arm I've seen from this crop of qb's.

Only thing is, I wish Fresno didn't run so many damn bubble screens...geez...

The Hulk?

That's the other brother. I think he plays on the line but can't remember which.

I would hate to have to be dealing with his father again.:mcnugget:

I said in the draft forum it would be one hell of an interview to sit in on. He'd almost have to go down a check list of how not to be like my brother in order to be considered - no dad at practice, no doing all your film review at home, no being apart from the team particularly your receivers and OL, no 8 hour days, etc.

That family has some health issues with kids. Derek's kid that was just born has had several surgeries.

That's the other brother. I think he plays on the line but can't remember which.

I said in the draft forum it would be one hell of an interview to sit in on. He'd almost have to go down a check list of how not to be like my brother in order to be considered - no dad at practice, no doing all your film review at home, no being apart from the team particularly your receivers and OL, no 8 hour days, etc.

That family has some health issues with kids. Derek's kid that was just born has had several surgeries.

Don't get in to the Draft section much. But those would have to be my exact terms also.

I would hate to have to be dealing with his father again.:mcnugget:

McKinney joked yesterday that he felt like David's dad was in the huddle with them at practice half the time.

Btw, everyone keeps saying absolutely no to derek. Steve McKinney said it too. I don't get that sentiment.

He's never had a competent offensive line, either.

Schaub did?

I'd venture to say he did for one season. 2011. Of course that was tainted by Mr. Guaranteed Penalties. At least 3-4 drive killing gaffs per game. False starts, holding and then of coarse the 'ole blocks that sent the QB to the turf. Still, it was better than what's been fielded since. This MUST be addressed by the new powers to be.

worry about yourself and stop stalking me loser.

Ill be asking those questions for every head coaching candidate.

Deal with it.

How much is McNair ponying up for your screening services? Any more openings? What can I do to get on? Do you have enough clout to get me on?

Derek Carr looks better than David IMO. Better placement and touch on the long ball. Already knows not to run out of bounds behind the LOS.

Billick - please explain? Other than a ring which wasn't won on his strength what does he bring to the table?

I want a HC that brings an air of confidence to this team. Like Jimmy did with the Cowgirls.

Rex and Billick are both cocky HC's

Billick was the architech of the great Viking offenses. When he got to Baltimore he realized what he had and didn't have. An all time great defense and an avg at best offense with Tony Banks at the helm. Dilfer replaces him in midseason and the rest is SB history.

I like a HC (Billick) that recoginzes the strengths of his team and plays to them and minimizes the teams weaknesses. A HC who can make great in game adjustments. A cocky SOB type HC would be a change that is needed in the Texans org.

BTW, when Billick got Grbac, he changed the offense and the Ravens became more of a passing team. Although he never won a SB he made the playoffs several times.

No to Rex Ryan. That guy is a classless blowhard who has terrible offenses. You'd need the best offensive coordinator in the world to mask those deficiencies.

No for me as well. Ryan is a great defensive coach not a good head coach.

I will be pretty upset if shanny comes to Houston. I think the game has passed his style of offense up (I.e. Kubiak's style as well).

No it hasn't. Last yr, they scored like 28ppg plus the run game to hide the pourous defense. This yr,the young qb has struggled,the defense has been exposed and now the game has passed him by? I thought it was smoke and mirrors last yr, but somehow they made the playoffs. The game hasn't passed him by just like it hasn't passed kubes by. They were both done in by qb play. You think mike mccarthy has lost his way in coaching? They've won 1 game vs a bad atlanta team. Has the game pass mike smith by too?

Nope

This should be a build the trenches draft.

So finally after more than a decade the foundation for long term success will be built properly.

+1

It's a proven blueprint over the years but it's just not sexy enough in this instant gratification league/society that prevails today. Granted, it may take a little longer but ya give a little to get a lot. Get the big nasties up front on both sides and you have a foundation to build on for long term sustainable success. It will never happen but if lordbills can get me on (:kitten:) I'll pound the table to make it happen.

Rex Ryan if fired
Shaw
Billick
Holmgren

Are at the top of my list. Lovie would be a last resort. After wathching Sumlin manage the clock in a very Kubiakesque way I would probably have to find a new team to root for. I'm done with Aggie HC's for a long while.

Good list. Holmgren is my dude,but as you stated,he's 65. I like rex more than most. Say what you will, nobody can erase 2 afc title games and his team is in the playoff hunt. I think with a dude like rex,you have to strongly recomend offensive coaches for him to the point of hiring them for him. Even this year and the mostly bad geno,they're gonna finish around .500 cuz rex is coaching his ass off.

Not a Cutler fan personally, but Lovie and Kyle sounds like an excellent combination. Thought Kyle did the best job of calling games in the Kubiak era.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Someone brought that up on 610 a while ago. Travis Johnson jumped in and called it "nonsense". He said the only person that ever called games in the Kubiak era was Kubiak himself. K. Shanahan was no more than a puppet OC.

Agree

Rex Ryan, if fired is going to go somewhere and build a seriously bad-ass defense.

Unfortunately what that will mean to the team that hires him is that in a year, maybe two someone will come along and want him to be a HC again just like Buddy Ryan when he left the Oiler's to go coach the Cardinals.

We shouldn't get involved in that process. Buddy Ryan left Jeff Fisher to run his defense when he went to Arizona. There's no guarantee that Rex Ryan will leave whatever team he bails out of in anywhere near that good a shape.

Agree

Rex Ryan, if fired is going to go somewhere and build a seriously bad-ass defense.

Unfortunately what that will mean to the team that hires him is that in a year, maybe two someone will come along and want him to be a HC again just like Buddy Ryan when he left the Oiler's to go coach the Cardinals.

We shouldn't get involved in that process. Buddy Ryan left Jeff Fisher to run his defense when he went to Arizona. There's no guarantee that Rex Ryan will leave whatever team he bails out of in anywhere near that good a shape.

The Jets aren't bad,

They probably will finish .500 with a Rookie QB. Their defense is pretty much set. The holes are on the OL/WR/QB for that team.

I think Rick Smith is a Mole, a snitch with a direct line to Ian Rapport, Mike Silver and Peter King. Explains Rapport's insider story a month a go and how Peter King was the first to know Kubiak was fired. Also explains why NFLN is always effusive in their praise of Rick Smith, always saying what a great GM Smith has been and how he has assembled the best talent in the league. The reporters are using Smith and Smith used the reporters to throw coaches under the bus and to save his job. Pay attention, these reporters have a direct line inside Kirby Lane.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of writing this exact post ;)

I want a HC that brings an air of confidence to this team. Like Jimmy did with the Cowgirls.

Rex and Billick are both cocky HC's

Billick was the architech of the great Viking offenses. When he got to Baltimore he realized what he had and didn't have. An all time great defense and an avg at best offense with Tony Banks at the helm. Dilfer replaces him in midseason and the rest is SB history.

I like a HC (Billick) that recoginzes the strengths of his team and plays to them and minimizes the teams weaknesses. A HC who can make great in game adjustments. A cocky SOB type HC would be a change that is needed in the Texans org.

BTW, when Billick got Grbac, he changed the offense and the Ravens became more of a passing team. Although he never won a SB he made the playoffs several times.

Billick showed after while that he had a lot of deficiencies as a HC. Big reason why he never was hired again. Grbac was awful, and was very Schaub like in the playoff season after the Ravens won the SB. The team wanted Grbac out of there pretty bad from what I remember.

I'd like a similar coach like you're describing, but Lovie Smith did pretty damn well in Chicago with no QB until Cutler got there later. People act like he doesn't know offense or whatever, but that's the same thing with almost all of the coaching candidates. They're all from one side of the ball. In the NFL you can consistently win if you have a great defense and I think Lovie could easily achieve that with what we already have in one off season or two at most. We just need to get our QB and another receiver for the future and we could be set pretty quickly. Outside of Cowher, I think that Lovie is the best candidate as far as an ex HC with a lot of experience.

I think Lovie will be the guy. Rick Smith is a defensive minded coach, and I think he will lean towards a defensive HC. Of the guys connected to the Texans so far, Lovie is the best defensive candidate, so I'm guessing he will get the job. The Bears defense, especially the secondary was pretty awesome under Lovie, and Rick is a DB guy, so it could be a match.

I think Lovie will be the guy. Rick Smith is a defensive minded coach, and I think he will lean towards a defensive HC. Of the guys connected to the Texans so far, Lovie is the best defensive candidate, so I'm guessing he will get the job. The Bears defense, especially the secondary was pretty awesome under Lovie, and Rick is a DB guy, so it could be a match.

The more I meditate on it, the more I am starting to like the Lovie Smith idea.

Lovie had 5 OC's in Chicago...think about that for a min. A total failure on the other side of the ball. No stability in system on the offensive side with that many OC's. I like him as a defensive coordinator more than a HC....just my .02

If that be the case then Lovie needs to learn from his mistakes in Chicago and go get a hell of an OC. The biggest problem in Chicago was on the offensive side of the ball.

He needs to reach out to an OC that is going to be creative and build an offense around the QB, weather that is Keenum or X, and not force feed a QB to run an offense he is not capable of running. Much easier, IMO, to build a playbook around a QB than to search for a QB that perfectly fits your system.

If he does this, I am all in...

ok, it was 4 going on 5...

Emery further expounded this week on why he fired Smith, who won 10 games -- but missed the playoffs -- with the Bears in 2012.

"We were in a position where if he stayed, he would be picking his fifth offensive coordinator," Emery said, via TheMMQB.com. "Part of it was because I really believe looking at a team that if you're going to have success, the most important relationship is between the head coach and the quarterback."

That meant either Cutler or Smith had to go and Emery wasn't about to get rid of Cutler.
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-o...emery-elaborates-on-why-lovie-smith-was-fired

Lovie had 5 OC's in Chicago...think about that for a min. A total failure on the other side of the ball. No stability in system on the offensive side with that many OC's. I like him as a defensive coordinator more than a HC....just my .02
I'm on board with Lovie Smith as head coach if he can somehow bring in Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator. Not sure what his future holds in Washington but I assume he'll leave if his daddy is fired there. Our offense hasn't been the same since Kyle Shanahan left after 2009. We wouldn't have to change much from our current schemes. The zone blocking will still be highly effective and a healthy Arian Foster should mean the Texans are back as one of the best offenses in the league next season, regardless if we draft a young quarterback or not.

Shoot, I didn't realize that. But that sort of makes him seem even better to me Vinny. They were winning over there for the most part other then when Urlacher would go down. If Urlacher was healthy that team was completely different and they always seemed like a team that would over achieve to me. That's what I like to see in a HC. I don't like that quiet nice soft nice guy feel that Lovie has which is similar to Kubiak, but unlike Kubiak Lovie produced results that were on the winning side of close games whereas Kubiak would always somehow lose those games. I don't know if Lovie learned from some of those mistakes on that side of the ball, but I don't think there are much better candidates personally. I also think that Lovie is the kind of guy Mcnair wants. He has what many on this forum would call "class." Lol!

I'm on board with Lovie Smith as head coach if he can somehow bring in Kyle Shanahan as offensive coordinator. Not sure what his future holds in Washington but I assume he'll leave if his daddy is fired there. Our offense hasn't been the same since Kyle Shanahan left after 2009. We wouldn't have to change much from our current schemes. The zone blocking will still be highly effective and a healthy Arian Foster should mean the Texans are back as one of the best offenses in the league next season, regardless if we draft a young quarterback or not.

YOu want a guy that comes from the same system beliefs as two HC's that are going to be fired after this season? I'm not sure that I follow that logic personally. I think the Texans should be completely done and away with all of the Denver connections.

YOu want a guy that comes from the same system beliefs as two HC's that are going to be fired after this season? I'm not sure that I follow that logic personally. I think the Texans should be completely done and away with all of the Denver connections.

My sentiments exactly. I'm done with Denver and the ZBS in regards to running it 100% of the time. From what I understand many teams run it from time to time in certain formations, plays, etc.

Id be fine with that.

My sentiments exactly. I'm done with Denver and the ZBS in regards to running it 100% of the time. From what I understand many teams run it from time to time in certain formations, plays, etc.

Id be fine with that.

Yeah, I think this league is about adapting to who you're playing and using different looks on offense and defense. Hell, just look at the Patriots offense and how they are constantly adjusting do to the players they have that are injured and who comes back to the team from season to season. They've had 3 different OC's under Brady. Man, if we went with that Shanahan crap again, that would be bloody awful to watch and very difficult to believe it. It would also potentially set up Lovie Smith (Assuming he was the HC) to go down that same path of replacing OC's like he did in Chicago.

Shoot, I didn't realize that. But that sort of makes him seem even better to me Vinny. They were winning over there for the most part other then when Urlacher would go down. If Urlacher was healthy that team was completely different and they always seemed like a team that would over achieve to me. That's what I like to see in a HC.

How does that point to great coaching rather than a great player? - one who pre-dated Smith.

How does that point to great coaching rather than a great player? - one who pre-dated Smith.

Urlacher was such an anchor to that defense. Probably the closest I've ever seen to a guy being like a QB on a defense other then Ray Lewis. When you lose a guy that was an anchor like that to your team and you don't have a good QB on the other side that can anchor a great offense to overcome the defensive injuries well it can really make things difficult. The best two examples to me are Brady and Rodgers. Rodgers lost quite a few guys to injury this season, but he still pulls off a lot of wins before he got hurt. He can simply move the chains and keep his team in the game. Brady is just amazing when it comes to losing all of his skill players and still being able to keep his team in the game. Best I've ever seen. But on defense, it's just a lot harder in my opinion unless that entire D is stacked all over the place. Just look at the Steelers every time Polumolu would go down. That D wasn't nearly as good. I think we could say that about all coaches Cak. Lovie did finally effectively address the QB situation with Cutler though and that team really clicked when Cutler was healthy as well. He also went and got Marshall, so it's not like he didn't eventually fill some gaps and holes on that team. But I think we could both agree that a HC's success will always be tied to the health of their best players the majority of the time. Best explanation I could give to your question.

I don't want anything to do with the Shanahans, we need a full overhaul of this team's coaching staff. Lovie Smith would be a great pick for a DC, but I don't know if he will take a DC job. He could probably hold out for a HC gig. If he did get the HC job, I don't know who he would want to bring in as an OC, but Cam Cameron and Mike Martz, could be an options.

Why do people keep saying this? He would have been fired already as OC if his daddy wasn't the HC.

Kyle Shanahan called the plays as much as Rick Dennison did.
Actually, he did. He started in the last game of 2008 and called all of 2009. Could Kubiak change them? Sure but that doesn't mean he wasn't an effective play caller. I don't want anything to do with the old Denver offense any more so he can find another city to work in IMO.

2008 after the last game said:
He called his first NFL game, and he did a hell of a job,” Kubiak said. “I thought it was time. I walked in the office Friday, and I told him he was calling the game.
link

2009 Preseason said:
Kubiak has once more convinced himself the Texans will be better off if he turns the play-calling over to offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

As for calling the plays, Kubiak's blueprint is that he and Shanahan will have the final say on what plays are in the game plan, but then on Sunday when the stadium is full and the testosterone free-flowing, Kubiak is going to allow Shanahan to have all the fun.

His thinking is that Shanahan spends all his time with the offense, that he has more time to scout opposing defenses and has a closer relationship with Matt Schaub.

In fairness, Kubiak will have the final say on the play list and on every play-call. But Shanahan has earned his trust.

“We've worked together, we've been over this together,” Kubiak said. “I may have some different ideas in certain situations, but it's a comfort zone for me as we prepare for games to know that he's ready to go do it. If I've got to help, I help.”
link
2009 end of season said:
Shanahan has done a very good job in his debut season as play-caller (only one game calling plays last year doesn’t count) and he’s shown me a tremendous grasp of the offense. Considering the fact that this offense is predicated off of running the ball and then being able to utilize play-action, it is pretty incredible that the passing game has been as successful as it has been despite the complete inability of the offense to run the ball with any consistency.
link

Lovie Smith drafted & started Rex Grossman.

Thems some pretty big balls.

Rex Grossman was in the 2003 draft. Lovie's first season as Bears HC was 2004.

Oddly, that Superbowl season (2006 season, 2007 Super Bowl) was the only time in his career that Rex has started more than 7 games. He started all 16 in that year, 7 in the following season, and beyond that, he's never started more than 3 games in as season.

Random Fan entry from profootballtalk.com

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...iring-of-kubiak-could-spark-a-feeding-frenzy/

deweyaxewound says:
Dec 9, 2013 3:57 PM

The good:

I recognize all that Lovie brought to the Bears – the great play of the defense, he was liked and respected by the players, who always played hard for him. You knew you would always have a disciplined, mature team with Lovie – no room for knuckleheads, no brats, show-boaters or self-promoters. He emphasized CHARACTER and the team-first approach.

But…here’s what drove me CRAZY about Lovie: stubborn as a mule. Sticking with Ron Turner, “Rex is our QB”, Mike Martz and the 7 step drops getting Cutler killed, “We think we’ve got a decent o-line”. Using Cedric Benson in the Super Bowl instead of Thomas Jones. His refusal to see the limits of Hester as a converted WR. He NEVER, and I mean NEVER made meaningful in-game adjustments, at the half or otherwise. If a team started exploiting the Bears in some way (the Pack used to kill us with the slant…you saw what the Seahawks did last year with the option, etc.) – Lovie stubbornly REFUSED to make any adjustments to counter the other team. Also horrible in managing a game clock, especially in the final minutes.

And some of the personnel blunders…draft blunders…using the wrong players in the wrong positions….failure to develop the talent of certain players…some of that is Lovie, but a lot of it was GM Angelo, too.

With all the talent his Bears teams have had over his tenure, I feel like they could have/should have accomplished more. I think Lovie failed to get the MOST out of his teams and the talent they had. Part of that failure was lack of depth, or lack of a “Plan B” when Plan A didn’t work. Lovie always just doggedly, stubbornly, predictably stuck to whatever the original plan was. You could even see it with Martz – calling for 7 step drops from Cutler –REPEATEDLY – with no o-line, mediocre receivers, and while the running game/Forte was hot (even with the limited touches he had). It was just shameful to watch.

^^^

This is exactly why I don't want him. He's cut from the same cloth as Kubiak. A good coach maybe but not good enough to adapt to a situation and overcome. This is why I knew we'd beat the Bears on SNF, they would do nothing to change their normal strategy and we'd meet them head on and win because we had a superior roster.

Random Fan entry from profootballtalk.com

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...iring-of-kubiak-could-spark-a-feeding-frenzy/

deweyaxewound says:
Dec 9, 2013 3:57 PM

The good:

I recognize all that Lovie brought to the Bears – the great play of the defense, he was liked and respected by the players, who always played hard for him. You knew you would always have a disciplined, mature team with Lovie – no room for knuckleheads, no brats, show-boaters or self-promoters. He emphasized CHARACTER and the team-first approach.

But…here’s what drove me CRAZY about Lovie: stubborn as a mule. Sticking with Ron Turner, “Rex is our QB”, Mike Martz and the 7 step drops getting Cutler killed, “We think we’ve got a decent o-line”. Using Cedric Benson in the Super Bowl instead of Thomas Jones. His refusal to see the limits of Hester as a converted WR. He NEVER, and I mean NEVER made meaningful in-game adjustments, at the half or otherwise. If a team started exploiting the Bears in some way (the Pack used to kill us with the slant…you saw what the Seahawks did last year with the option, etc.) – Lovie stubbornly REFUSED to make any adjustments to counter the other team. Also horrible in managing a game clock, especially in the final minutes.

And some of the personnel blunders…draft blunders…using the wrong players in the wrong positions….failure to develop the talent of certain players…some of that is Lovie, but a lot of it was GM Angelo, too.

With all the talent his Bears teams have had over his tenure, I feel like they could have/should have accomplished more. I think Lovie failed to get the MOST out of his teams and the talent they had. Part of that failure was lack of depth, or lack of a “Plan B” when Plan A didn’t work. Lovie always just doggedly, stubbornly, predictably stuck to whatever the original plan was. You could even see it with Martz – calling for 7 step drops from Cutler –REPEATEDLY – with no o-line, mediocre receivers, and while the running game/Forte was hot (even with the limited touches he had). It was just shameful to watch.

Case closed. End of story. Like I've posted before: Gary Kubiak V2.0

Want nothing to do with him.

NEXT (which needs to be David Shaw) I sure wish we could make Houston as pretty as Palo Alto.

EDIT: Perhaps DC?

^^^

This is exactly why I don't want him. He's cut from the same cloth as Kubiak. A good coach maybe but not good enough to adapt to a situation and overcome. This is why I knew we'd beat the Bears on SNF, they would do nothing to change their normal strategy and we'd meet them head on and win because we had a superior roster.

Reading that does scare me a little, but I totally disagree that he didn't get the most out of his teams. I think he got the best out of his teams. He might have been stubborn about his offensive players perhaps, but they never had hardly any strong offensive talent either. Who was drafting the players and getting the free agents over there? I'm not sure about that one to say if that was on Lovie or the GM. I really don't know the answer to that. If Lovie Smith could get a great QB though and some talent at WR, I think that a lot of these issues wouldn't be nearly as problematic. Personally I think that defensive coaches end up having more success in the NFL then a lot of the OC's that become HC's.

Reading that does scare me a little, but I totally disagree that he didn't get the most out of his teams. I think he got the best out of his teams. He might have been stubborn about his offensive players perhaps, but they never had hardly any strong offensive talent either. Who was drafting the players and getting the free agents over there? I'm not sure about that one to say if that was on Lovie or the GM. I really don't know the answer to that. If Lovie Smith could get a great QB though and some talent at WR, I think that a lot of these issues wouldn't be nearly as problematic. Personally I think that defensive coaches end up having more success in the NFL then a lot of the OC's that become HC's.

Something they said regarding Wade coming in with JJ Watt in those first practices sticks with me. Kubiak hadn't been allowing the defense to knock balls down during practice because it interrupted the work the offense was doing on the passing game. And Wade basically said, "Dude? The Defense needs to work on defending the pass and that includes knocking balls down so deal with it." And Kubiak said, "Oh. Yeah. Guess so."

The reason I bring that up is that Kubiak was basically an OC as HC. Lovie has basically been a DC as HC. I'm wondering if he doesn't slant practices to favor the defense like Kubiak slanted the practices to favor the offense and if that isn't a common problem with guys making the step from a coordinator position to the head coach spot who still keep their fingers in the pie of the side of the ball they favor.

Something they said regarding Wade coming in with JJ Watt in those first practices sticks with me. Kubiak hadn't been allowing the defense to knock balls down during practice because it interrupted the work the offense was doing on the passing game. And Wade basically said, "Dude? The Defense needs to work on defending the pass and that includes knocking balls down so deal with it." And Kubiak said, "Oh. Yeah. Guess so."

The reason I bring that up is that Kubiak was basically an OC as HC. Lovie has basically been a DC as HC. I'm wondering if he doesn't slant practices to favor the defense like Kubiak slanted the practices to favor the offense and if that isn't a common problem with guys making the step from a coordinator position to the head coach spot who still keep their fingers in the pie of the side of the ball they favor.

Never knew that. That sounds very Kubiak like. I don't see a lot of candidates anywhere though that really seem way better unfortunately unless you find some young hot name on the rise, but all of those guys are such a crap shoot. I understand why Mcnair wants a guy who has coached before. I still think Cowher would be the best guy as long as he could assemble a strong staff. He has been out for quite some time and I'm not sure that he could acquire a great staff that would have a great synergy.

LOVIE SMITH
Lovie Smith will really appeal to Texans owner Bob McNair from a personal and professional standpoint. Professionally, Smith made it to the Super Bowl as a head coach in 2006 and as a defensive coordinator for the Rams in 2001. Smith also coached in an NFC Championship game but lost to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Green Bay Packers in a game that saw Jay Cutler have to remove himself due to a leg injury.

From a personal standpoint, Lovie Smith is a low-key, humble man man but is very demanding of his players. Over his nine years in Chicago, he never lost his locker room and always had guys ready to run through a wall for him. Smith is known for developing strong defenses who attack without having to blitz, but his offenses have been problematic to say the least. Finding the right offensive coordinator would be a must. If Smith were to get hired, he would implement his version of the 4-3 which will still allow J.J. Watt to shine, but will require a significant upgrade at defensive end and both outside linebacker

Good post and all agreeable. Smith seems like a clone of the last 2 coaches we've had in that he's a class act. I think right now he's a front runner (yes, I'm guessing. ) He looks like a safe pick with a low ceiling. Not my choice.

Lovie Smith is the odds on favorite to be the next Head Coach of the Houston Texans and Jay Cutler his likely QB. I would not be surprised if this decision has already been made. That is all!

Back