Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm not saying he didn't receive ANY attention, but he wasn't nor has been feted like Strahan and Taylor were and are. Aaron Donald is the media darling but the media never mentions Watt did it first. They never mention that Robert Brazille was LT before LT. Look how long it took Dr. Doom to make the HOF. If he had played in NY or Chicago or in the northeast he would have been a first ballot inductee and on the all-time top 100 team
With social media, it isn't this way anymore.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Jags did it. Its the AFC South. Not a lot of difference between worst and first.
The Jags won the division with 9 wins last year. I suspect the anty for winning the AFC South this year will go up to 10. I just don't see that many wins from the Texans this season. If the Texans can manage to get to 8 wins this season, I think that will show dramatic improvement and that the franchise might be turning around. Maybe.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The Jags won the division with 9 wins last year. I suspect the anty for winning the AFC South this year will go up to 10. I just don't see that many wins from the Texans this season. If the Texans can manage to get to 8 wins this season, I think that will show dramatic improvement and that the franchise might be turning around. Maybe.
I think they show dramatic improvement with as few as 6 wins. Not saying a worst to first isn't possible at all. Just gotta see how all of this newness comes together. I'm predicting the Jags to be better and probably run away with the division.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The defense is shaping up pretty well. Starter wise. If they can generate that front four pressure I wouldn't be surprised if the defense cracks the top 10.

I'm still worried about a new blocking system for the OL & how that's going to translate. Something I'm going to need to see before I buy into a worst to first type season, even in the AFCSouth.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I just want to make a quick point here that it's mathematically possible to win this division with a 3-14 record.

I mean, if all four teams in the division split their divisional games (so that all four teams go 3-3 in the division) and then lose all their other games, we could get four teams tied for first place with a 3-14 record and it would come down to tie-breakers to choose the "winner."

I mean, you know, mathematically. Worst case.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I just want to make a quick point here that it's mathematically possible to win this division with a 3-14 record.

I mean, if all four teams in the division split their divisional games (so that all four teams go 3-3 in the division) and then lose all their other games, we could get four teams tied for first place with a 3-14 record and it would come down to tie-breakers to choose the "winner."

So it would come down to strength of schedule?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans QB Davis Mills adjusting to third different offense of his career
May 26, 2023 9:58 am CT

Springtime is a season of rebirth and new beginnings. In Houston, this is highlighted by the Texans deploying a different scheme under a new offensive coordinator.
Davis Mills is entering his third year in the NFL, and the Texans are on their third offensive coordinator in that span with Bobby Slowik, the former passing game coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers, where Houston hired DeMeco Ryans.

With changing being constant, there are some aspects Mills has adapted to.

“The only thing difficult is just picking up new plays and not having anything to fall back on from the year previous,” Mills said during organized team activities at Houston Methodist Training Center May 23. “A lot of different offenses across the league run similar concepts, but they’re just calling it different things. Some of it is getting rid of the old verbiage and picking up new terminology. A lot of the other stuff is learning from new coaches, the new guys we have in the room and finding ways to get better.”

What Mills has been able to do is take pieces from his time with Tim Kelly and Pep Hamilton and add it to his experiences to help become a well-rounded signal caller.

Said Mills: “I think that’s what makes people better players, better people is if they can learn from the good traits from the guys around them and then also be able to get rid of some of those things that won’t really mesh with the new stuff. I think I have learned a lot from different coordinators, different coaches over the years, and I’m excited to add all that stuff to my memory bank like I’ve talked in the past and just keep getting better.”
What Mills has over No. 2 overall pick C.J. Stroud is experience from those coordinators, which the former Stanford product will need if he hopes to win the starting job.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Texans QB Davis Mills adjusting to third different offense of his career
May 26, 2023 9:58 am CT

Springtime is a season of rebirth and new beginnings. In Houston, this is highlighted by the Texans deploying a different scheme under a new offensive coordinator.
Davis Mills is entering his third year in the NFL, and the Texans are on their third offensive coordinator in that span with Bobby Slowik, the former passing game coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers, where Houston hired DeMeco Ryans.

With changing being constant, there are some aspects Mills has adapted to.

“The only thing difficult is just picking up new plays and not having anything to fall back on from the year previous,” Mills said during organized team activities at Houston Methodist Training Center May 23. “A lot of different offenses across the league run similar concepts, but they’re just calling it different things. Some of it is getting rid of the old verbiage and picking up new terminology. A lot of the other stuff is learning from new coaches, the new guys we have in the room and finding ways to get better.”

What Mills has been able to do is take pieces from his time with Tim Kelly and Pep Hamilton and add it to his experiences to help become a well-rounded signal caller.

Said Mills: “I think that’s what makes people better players, better people is if they can learn from the good traits from the guys around them and then also be able to get rid of some of those things that won’t really mesh with the new stuff. I think I have learned a lot from different coordinators, different coaches over the years, and I’m excited to add all that stuff to my memory bank like I’ve talked in the past and just keep getting better.”
What Mills has over No. 2 overall pick C.J. Stroud is experience from those coordinators, which the former Stanford product will need if he hopes to win the starting job.
I applaud the fact he thinks he can compete for the the starting job.
It is understandable he has not had the most favourable of development situations with 3 different everything in his tenure here.
I expect him to get better but not be good enough to keep the job from Stroud.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
It is understandable he has not had the most favourable of development situations with 3 different everything in his tenure here.
I'm not sure that the starting position will be about any true competition.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I don’t think it matters what the pick is or the cost. It’s all about development. Mahomes sat, Rodgers sat, Jordan Love sat, Trey Lance sat, Garrapolo sat. There are probably more that I am too lazy to google.

What’s the rush to throw Stroud out there?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I don’t think it matters what the pick is or the cost. It’s all about development. Mahomes sat, Rodgers sat, Jordan Love sat, Trey Lance sat, Garrapolo sat. There are probably more that I am too lazy to google.

The need to try to "prove" they made the right Draft move. The only thing I see the Texans proving by forcing Stroud into the starting role day one is proving that they might be worried that they may have been wrong. Or worried that their marketing would take a hit if their highly marketed shiney new toy isn't immediately presented. It should be evident to all who have followed the Texans for any length of time, that marketing has always been the driving force behind the Texans. It would be nice to finally see that trend broken, but, sorry for my cinicism, I'm not going to hold my breath until I see it.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member

You have a lot of free time, right?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Mills talked a good game, last offseason. Then the bullets started flying and he turtled. He is what he is.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
If i bet a hundred with long odds, I'd put it on Tank Dell. WR + some returns and a few carries from back field.
I hear ya, he’s being overlooked. 2023 WR class got unceremoniously dumped on before it’s even had a chance to impact the NFL. Mostly undersized, quick & explosive playmakers. My money would be on Zay Flowers (Lamar Jackson’s soon to be favorite target) but Dell will most likely become CJ Stroud favorite go to weapon. CJ will blow by Bryce because of Dell and new free agent signings Dalton Schultz, Robert Woods, Devin Singletary. Carolina will run the rock like they always do. Chark & Theilen don’t get me nearly as excited.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Those quarterbacks had pretty darn good to elite quarterbacks playing in front of them. That’s why they sat.
Manning,Newton and several others started day one as well. ( talking darn good quarterbacks and not the busted ones)
It’s not about rushing because they have plenty of time to have him ready for day one.

Last edited:

Texansballer74

The Marine
The need to try to "prove" they made the right Draft move. The only thing I see the Texans proving by forcing Stroud into the starting role day one is proving that they might be worried that they may have been wrong. Or worried that their marketing would take a hit if their highly marketed shiney new toy isn't immediately presented. It should be evident to all who have followed the Texans for any length of time, that marketing has always been the driving force behind the Texans. It would be nice to finally see that trend broken, but, sorry for my cinicism, I'm not going to hold my breath until I see it.
Why would they feel like that? Y’all over think this type of stuff too much. Did the Colts think like this after drafting Peyton Manning? Did the Panthers brass think like this when they drafted Cam Newton?
It’s about Marketing for every freaking NFL team or any other sports organization. Why is there a problem with only the Texans?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
From everything I've heard from Mills, he sounds like a humble, modest guy. What do you mean by "talked a good game"?
Mills had a very confident air in interviews last offseason. The McAfee show for one that I can remember. Sounded like a guy ready to take control. That didn't happen in games. So, what Mills says in interviews and pressers doesn't carry a lot of weight with me.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
I hear ya, he’s being overlooked. 2023 WR class got unceremoniously dumped on before it’s even had a chance to impact the NFL. Mostly undersized, quick & explosive playmakers. My money would be on Zay Flowers (Lamar Jackson’s soon to be favorite target) but Dell will most likely become CJ Stroud favorite go to weapon. CJ will blow by Bryce because of Dell and new free agent signings Dalton Schultz, Robert Woods, Devin Singletary. Carolina will run the rock like they always do. Chark & Theilen don’t get me nearly as excited.
If i am correct, Schultz will allow both Collins and Dell to have good seasons. Dalton will be a risk factor for defenses.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Why would they feel like that? Y’all over think this type of stuff too much. Did the Colts think like this after drafting Peyton Manning? Did the Panthers brass think like this when they drafted Cam Newton?
It’s about Marketing for every freaking NFL team or any other sports organization. Why is there a problem with only the Texans?
For the same reason that I was not concerned much about other parents children. I focused on mine.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

And I'm sure we can rattle off as many names of QBs who didn't sit. And the difference in the particular QBs you mentioned are that there was an established QB in front of everyone of them. That is not the case in Texansville.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Do you believe other teams were interested in Stroud with the 2nd or 3rd pick? If they were to draft him, would they focus on getting him to start early? Would that have been “marketing”

I get what you’re saying about the Texans marketing machine & agree, the Texans make decisions based on marketing. They all do.

But wanting to start their 2nd overall selection… I mean c’mon man

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
And another thing, the criticism here is about fans “rushing” Stroud to start.

The Texans are working Davis Mills with the 1st team. That’s what started this whole conversation.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
And another thing, the criticism here is about fans “rushing” Stroud to start.

The Texans are working Davis Mills with the 1st team. That’s what started this whole conversation.
Negative ghost rider.

As soon as Stroud was drafted people wanted him to start day one and get rid of Mills.

It’s a classic overreaction to events they have no control over.

People see Mills starting with the ones and get enraged.

They don’t trust the process.

Trust the process.

No excuses.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
And I'm sure we can rattle off as many names of QBs who didn't sit. And the difference in the particular QBs you mentioned are that there was an established QB in front of everyone of them. That is not the case in Texansville.
Way to miss the point.

The point is that QBs have sat and proved to develop. There is no harm to having a rookie QB sit and watch.

I don’t care one way or the other. Keenum can start. Mills can start. Stroud can start.

I ain’t going to sit here and act like I know more than the coaches.

And people getting sand in their vagina because Mills is playing with the ones, for the time being, is humorous.

Trust the process.

No excuses.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Meh.

The marketing angle I get but the Texans weren’t worried about marketing when they had to answer questions about Easterby for a year.

There is different decision makers in control compared the Texans 5 years ago and 20 years ago.

I don’t see Texans feeling pressure.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Those quarterbacks had pretty darn good to elite quarterbacks playing in front of them. That’s why they set.
Manning,Newton and several others started day one as well. ( talking darn good quarterbacks and not the busted ones)
It’s not about rushing because they have plenty of time to have him ready for day one.
I can use your argument of not having darn good QBs in front of Stroud to take more time with him and let him sit. Without that mentorship why would you Do rush him to start. If he sits for a game or two or three or six how does that hurt him? It doesn’t. Starting early can Bortles him.