Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Nick started at $0 and restrctured every contract he could Which created a lot of dead money. Then he cut a bunch of restructured contracts which tripled the dead money.
Wasn't he trying to clear some cap to acquire/retain much needed players at the time?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
*sigh*

I sincerely apologize for offending you. I like and respect you, and I regret that my flippant sarcasm has caused such an emotional response. That was never my intention.

And yes, if offered the opportunity, I would inquire with Nick Caserio about the power structure within the Texans organization, simply because his role is perceived by the general public and media as being less of a strong, powerful GM and more of a consensus building "yes man" to the owners' whims and desires.

There is literally nothing I say on this forum that I wouldn't say in person. I don't front. I am who I am regardless of who it offends, even if by accident.
Maybe Cal has suddenly grown a pair and told NC what he expects in this draft - or else. Mom or Hannah or both may have had a word in Cals ear and it took root.
Let's hope so.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Last year was a good draft. Hard to expect more than that, other than health.
Tend to agree.
I think Green will be better for a season under his belt and Stingley has a chance now to fully recouperate from his injury so am expecting good things from him and Metchie should be good to go going by reports.
If only the first two can be fully available and improved, that will be good news for Texans and Metchie will be a bonus.
Pitre and Pierce were better than expected so it is picky to grumble about 2022.
I am looking forward to the next one.

Texian

Hall of Fame
But to my knowledge none of that was done during the 22 season at least not 25 million. Not a big deal. Moving on.
Other than excusing being fiscally irresponsible, a lack of common sense & logic, and a poor fiduciary, well then yeah, no big deal.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
The Chargers always seems like the west coast version of the Oilers. With the playoffs on the line, I wouldn't be surprised if they lost to the Colts and disappointed their fans.
This didn't age well... perhaps you weren't aware they played last night?
LOL. No. I didn't know they played last night. My point still stands that they will disappoint more often than not.
They'll be one and done for sure
@JB, we should have put some money on this. Called it. The Chargers are who we thought they were.

They disappoint again and blow a 27 point lead. SMDH.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Cooks could return a RD2 or RD3 before the draft or at the trade deadline next season.

Tunsil could greed himself out of Houston, especially if he’s expecting a fat signing bonus to off-set his demand of being the highest paid LT in the NFL. If he plans to hold-out if his demands aren’t met…..he should bring a return of picks that’s good for 2023 and 2024.

Not sure if the two we’re moved, that the cap improves or takes a hit.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Random thought. It was a great weekend of football. Dramatic, entertaining and fun to watch. Unfortunately, while watching the talent, speed and even coaching on these playoff teams, it was a reminder of how far the Texans still have to go......Deep sigh.
What’s worse is seeing teams progress far more than the Texans. We went backwards while other teams like the Bengals and Bills are closer to going to the SB.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
What’s worse is seeing teams progress far more than the Texans. We went backwards while other teams like the Bengals and Bills are closer to going to the SB.
Exactly. Also, seeing teams be competitive with backup QBs because of the coaching and complementary talent around them. At the end of the day, coaching matters and I hope the Texans get this next HC hire right.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
How many years ago was it that JJ Watt accompanied by Hopkins and Watson beat a young Josh Allen in the playoffs?

That year was 51-7.

We had to go through Bob McNair passing, Easterby’ manipulations, OB’s promotion to GM to trade for magic beans and spend like a drunken sailor, and Watson sexual assault allegations and demanding a trade.

We have been through some ****.

Number19

Hall of Fame
We will know more about the dysfunction by who the next HC hire is.
No matter who they hire as HC, there will be some degree of discontent on this board, expressing a dysfunction within the organization. And of course there will still be those who believe the McNairs can, or will, never will be good owners and only want a change in ownership. And of course there are the NC haters.

You are well aware of the underlying improvements made within the Texans organization, having pointed these out in the past. And I haven't seen any expression of discontent with the quality of HC candidates on the Texans list. It's a solid list.

But even you express in your comment, if they don't hire a coach you favor, this will be a sign of disfunction within the Texans. The perception of disfunction will likely always be here, although winning may subdue it momentarily.

OptimisticTexan

How quick we forget the hole OB left this organization in. There was no quick fix simply b/c no respectable HC would come to this team with horrible talent, bad contracts, no draft picks, and bad cap space.

Caserio has spent the last two seasons filling the hole so the next group could start from a level surface. Funny how this season, the team has a number of up and coming coaches interviewing for the job…..and Sean Payton agreeing to be interviewed. Caserio has done an admirable job getting this team to this point.

I believe the rebuild can now move into the phase that most other teams were at when their rebuilds began.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No matter who they hire as HC, there will be some degree of discontent on this board, expressing a dysfunction within the organization. And of course there will still be those who believe the McNairs can, or will, never will be good owners and only want a change in ownership. And of course there are the NC haters.

You are well aware of the underlying improvements made within the Texans organization, having pointed these out in the past. And I haven't seen any expression of discontent with the quality of HC candidates on the Texans list. It's a solid list.

But even you express in your comment, if they don't hire a coach you favor, this will be a sign of disfunction within the Texans. The perception of disfunction will likely always be here, although winning may subdue it momentarily.
It hasn't always been this way. The McNair's have earned the ridicule they're getting. Who would have thought that putting profit over product when making decisions in the hiring personnel both in the FO and the on field player decisions would lead to this point in the franchises history.

Wrong, I'm just glad they finally have a great list of potential HC's to pick from, instead of the Culley/Lovie/McCown/Hines Ward choices from the past. I like Kalfka as my #1 choice if they can't get Payton. But I would be happy with any of the candidates. I can't say this about the last couple of HC searches. My hope is that Cal chooses to take Caserio's recommendations and hire Caserio's guy unlike the Lovie hire. This is more important to me than which candidate is actually chosen, because I like all of the candidates.

Number19

Hall of Fame
How quick we forget the hole OB left this organization in. There was no quick fix simply b/c no respectable HC would come to this team with horrible talent, bad contracts, no draft picks, and bad cap space.

Caserio has spent the last two seasons filling the hole so the next group could start from a level surface. Funny how this season, the team has a number of up and coming coaches interviewing for the job…..and Sean Payton agreeing to be interviewed. Caserio has done an admirable job getting this team to this point.

I believe the rebuild can now move into the phase that most other teams were at when their rebuilds began.
Right on, well said.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
It's looking a hell of a lot better than it did after the 2020 season with no draft picks in the coming draft and no cap space to work with
Exactly.
Just getting rid of O'Brien and Easterby were two big pluses.
Add in the bleeding of talent we have seen over the last few years because of the lack of resources and the disdain for the coaches. That will stop if you bring in a big name HC.

Texansballer74

The Marine
It's looking a hell of a lot better than it did after the 2020 season with no draft picks in the coming draft and no cap space to work with
Yes it does looks a little better. But the smell from the skit stain is still in the air vents all around that organization. You still had players quitting on you because they don’t see the pot of gold either. Even Caserio is feeling the heat. He knows he has to nail it with this coaching search and draft selection. He knows he can’t continue to add free agents then drop them the following week or so.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Houston Texans lost a good guard to wavers in 2022. Well I guess all the anti Max Sharping folks saw our 2nd round pick play as a starter for the Bengals. His development may be traced to good OL coaching.
I hate seeing guys leave Houston and thrive on other teams - if I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times, it all comes back to coaching.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Wrong, I'm just glad they finally have a great list of potential HC's to pick from, instead of the Culley/Lovie/McCown/Hines Ward choices from the past. I like Kalfka as my #1 choice if they can't get Payton. But I would be happy with any of the candidates. I can't say this about the last couple of HC searches. My hope is that Cal chooses to take Caserio's recommendations and hire Caserio's guy unlike the Lovie hire. This is more important to me than which candidate is actually chosen, because I like all of the candidates.
I sure hope you remember this in the years to come

Number19

Hall of Fame
Exactly what foundation would that be?
Dang, I never feel the need to keep repeating over and over what has been posted on here numerous times. But, we've cleared the organization of all the dead wood, we've created cap space and we've drafted a small but solid core of players the past two drafts to go forward with. The final piece will be occurring in the next couple weeks when we hire the coaching staff to go forward with long term. The '23 draft will be the beginning of phase two of the rebuild.

Houston Texans lost a good guard to wavers in 2022. Well I guess all the anti Max Sharping folks saw our 2nd round pick play as a starter for the Bengals. His development may be traced to good OL coaching.
Sharping is an injury replacement for Alex Cappa, before the game it was mentioned that it could be a weak spot on the Bengals OL. But hopefully he does develop into more than he was here.

mws

Rookie
How many years ago was it that JJ Watt accompanied by Hopkins and Watson beat a young Josh Allen in the playoffs?
If you want to see 2 clubs going in the opposite direction just look at the Bills & the Texans.

Since we beat the Bills in the wildcard game the 2 teams regular season records are:
Bills: 37-12-0*
Texans: 11-38-1

*the Bills only played 16 games in 2022.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Dang, I never feel the need to keep repeating over and over what has been posted on here numerous times. But, we've cleared the organization of all the dead wood, we've created cap space and we've drafted a small but solid core of players the past two drafts to go forward with. The final piece will be occurring in the next couple weeks when we hire the coaching staff to go forward with long term. The '23 draft will be the beginning of phase two of the rebuild.
Sounds more like cutting down trees, mowing grass and clearing out the lot. The foundation hasn't been poured yet.

OptimisticTexan

If you want to see 2 clubs going in the opposite direction just look at the Bills & the Texans.

Since we beat the Bills in the wildcard game the 2 teams regular season records are:
Bills: 37-12-0*
Texans: 11-38-1

*the Bills only played 16 games in 2022.
Yeah….I missed the part where Bill O’Brien was the Bills GM/HC during that period.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club

That year was 51-7.

We had to go through Bob McNair passing, Easterby’ manipulations, OB’s promotion to GM to trade for magic beans and spend like a drunken sailor, and Watson sexual assault allegations and demanding a trade.

We have been through some ****.
51-7 was January 2020.

Bob McNair passed away in December 2018.

ALL of the internal dysfunction since then falls squarely on Cal.

Exactly.
Just getting rid of O'Brien and Easterby were two big pluses.
Add in the bleeding of talent we have seen over the last few years because of the lack of resources and the disdain for the coaches. That will stop if you bring in a big name HC.
True, but the guy that hired them and enabled them with the power to destroy his organization from within (and right under his nose) is still in the building making decisions.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
51-7 was January 2020.

Bob McNair passed away in December 2018.

ALL of the internal dysfunction since then falls squarely on Cal.
I am not arguing whose fault it is. More or less what has happened the last the last few years.

Bob McNair passed in December 2018. Janice and Cal assume control and Cal goes into depression. It would during that 2019 season OB takes advantage and on April 2019 his friend Easterby is hired. Gaine fired June 2019. OB and Easterby assume control of 2019 season because they can’t hire Caserio. Tunsil trade happens. Then after in 2020 season OB is promoted to GM, trades Hopkins for magic beans, then starts handing out contracts to everyone. Watson gets a new contract in September 2020. Salary cap is **** and we have no draft picks. December 2020 Watson starts getting wind of possible sexual assault allegations. Demands trade January/February 2021. March/April 2021 allegations become public.

Short summary of what has happened.

michaelm

vox nihili
I am not arguing whose fault it is. More or less what has happened the last the last few years.

Bob McNair passed in December 2018. Janice and Cal assume control and Cal goes into depression. It would during that 2019 season OB takes advantage and on April 2019 his friend Easterby is hired. Gaine fired June 2019. OB and Easterby assume control of 2019 season because they can’t hire Caserio. Tunsil trade happens. Then after in 2020 season OB is promoted to GM, trades Hopkins for magic beans, then starts handing out contracts to everyone. Watson gets a new contract in September 2020. Salary cap is **** and we have no draft picks. December 2020 Watson starts getting wind of possible sexual assault allegations. Demands trade January/February 2021. March/April 2021 allegations become public.

Short summary of what has happened.
This is the first time I've ever seen mention of Cal going into depression. Do you have a source or is it an opinion?