Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Earl34

Hall of Fame
If I'm taking a QB 1-1 then I'm looking for a top 5 QB.

If there isn't one in this draft then I'm waiting to 2024 when Williams/Maye who are both better prospects than any QB in this draft are coming out.
If you are waiting years to draft a QB 1-1, based on the list below, even when you think a QB is worthy of 1-1, it's no indicator of future success.
  • 2007 - Jamarcus Russell
  • 2010 - Sam Bradford
  • 2012 - Andrew Luck
  • 2015 - Jameis Winston
  • 2016 - Jared Goff
  • 2018 - Baker Mayfield
  • 2019 - Kyler Murray
  • 2020 - Joe Burrow
  • 2021 - Trevor Lawrence
NFL draft: Every No. 1 overall QB since 1967 (usatoday.com)

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If you are waiting years to draft a QB 1-1, based on the list below, even when you think a QB is worthy of 1-1, it's no indicator of future success.
  • 2010 - Sam Bradford
  • 2012 - Andrew Luck
  • 2015 - Jameis Winston
  • 2016 - Jared Goff
  • 2018 - Baker Mayfield
  • 2019 - Kyler Murray
  • 2020 - Joe Burrow
The guys I liked at the time were

Bradford
Luck
Winston
Burrow.

Bradford got hurt and Winston busted.

No midgets

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
  • 2010 - Sam Bradford
  • 2012 - Andrew Luck
  • 2015 - Jameis Winston
  • 2016 - Jared Goff
  • 2018 - Baker Mayfield
  • 2019 - Kyler Murray
  • 2020 - Joe Burrow
Updated list to include 2021 - Trevor Lawrence

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Bradford
Luck
Winston
Burrow.

No midgets
Hey Steel where are you at now on this current Draft ?
I dunno are you still of the mind to take Will Anderson or Jalen Carter and pass on the QBs if we do in fact draft #1 overall ?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hey Steel where are you at now on this current Draft ?
I dunno are you still of the mind to take Will Anderson or Jalen Carter and pass on the QBs if we do in fact draft #1 overall ?
Carter.

Then I want Caserio to draft the best pass rusher availabile at 1-10 and the best pass rusher availabile at 2-32. Why? Because that's the strength of this draft. Along with TE and the center position.

Then draft 2 centers that can play OG. Fix the trenches in this draft then get the skill position players in 2024. Do I think Caserio will be allowed to do this ? Nope.

If Cal makes Caserio draft Young as I suspect then I want an all offense draft and fix the defense in 2024.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Carter.

Then I want Caserio to draft the best pass rusher availabile at 1-10 and the best pass rusher availabile at 2-32. Why? Because that's the strength of this draft. Along with TE and the center position.

Then draft 2 centers that can play OG. Fix the trenches in this draft then get the skill position players in 2024. Do I think Caserio will be allowed to do this ? Nope.

If Cal makes Caserio draft Young as I suspect then I want an all offense draft and fix the defense in 2024.
Someone has to grow some coconuts and tell Cal/Janice that their family's practice of trying to dictate what they want to happen with certain picks and in free agency has left this franchise out of the AFCCG since inception. Time to let the football minds handle the business so Janice can get back to playing badminton with the donkey and let Cal know as to when the nightly ritual of brushing Cal's hair is going to happen.

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
Carter.

Will Carter slip - still in first round though? He's' recovering from an ACL and he's missed several games due to a "kidney infection". Do we know how serious this is? Or has he recovered?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Bradford
Luck
Winston
Burrow.

No midgets
I know Young is not prototypical size, but he will mature physically as they all do.
He is 2" taller than Murray - the same height as Drew Brees at 6'. He is 13 lbs lighter than Brees was when he came out.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I know Young is not prototypical size, but he will mature physically as they all do.
He is 2" taller than Murray - the same height as Drew Brees at 6'. He is 13 lbs lighter than Brees was when he came out.
See that's part of the problem as no one thinks he is 6 ft.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
He is not the size listed by Alabama and the media

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So are you saying he's not an outlier?

He's actually going to come in about 5'10 which is 2 inches shorter than Brees. But even if he's the same height, Young being a championship level QB is 1 in a million.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
So are you saying he's not an outlier?

He's actually going to come in about 5'10 which is 2 inches shorter than Brees. But even if he's the same height, Young being a championship level QB is 1 in a million.
You're on record that the McNairs are the #1 issue with the Texans. So, what are the odds that the McNairs will win a championship with or without a championship level QB?

For the record. I don't really follow college football or the draft. I know what I don't know. I just find the championship level QB criteria/angle very interesting. Do you really know a championship QB until they win a championship?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So, what are the odds that the McNairs will win a championship with or without a championship level QB?
Slim to none.

Our only hope is he lucks into the right GM/HC combination. He’s got to know when to hold him, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run.

I think it’s time to run

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Slim to none.

Our only hope is he lucks into the right GM/HC combination. He’s got to know when to hold him, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run.

I think it’s time to run
Exactly. Looking at the history of championship QBs. Did anyone think Brady was a championship QB? If so, why did he go in the 6th round? Did anyone think Manning was a championship QB when he was playing for Jim Mora and leading the league in INTs? When the Chargers cut Brees did anyone think he was a championship QB? How about Rodgers getting picked late in the first round.

IMHO. No QB can become a championship QB without the right GM/HC combination and the complementary players around him. No championship QB is an island. This championship QB criteria is nothing more than paralysis by analysis.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You're on record that the McNairs are the #1 issue with the Texans. So, what are the odds that the McNairs will win a championship with or without a championship level QB?

For the record. I don't really follow college football or the draft. I know what I don't know. I just find the championship level QB criteria/angle very interesting. Do you really know a championship QB until they win a championship?
Slim, but there's always a chance they get lucky.

Look at Burrow as an example of a guy with championship level traits. I believe Williams and Maye also have those traits. Quick decision makers that can deliver from the pocket accurately and run as a last resort. His arm must be strong but it doesn't have to be Mahomes/Allen Strong although that's a plus.

Basically a 6'2/6'3 Bryce Young.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Exactly. Looking at the history of championship QBs. Did anyone think Brady was a championship QB? If so, why did he go in the 6th round? Did anyone think Manning was a championship QB when he was playing for Jim Mora and leading the league in INTs? When the Chargers cut Brees did anyone think he was a championship QB? How about Rodgers getting picked late in the first round.

IMHO. No QB can become a championship QB without the right GM/HC combination and the complementary players around him. No championship QB is an island. This championship QB criteria is nothing more than paralysis by analysis.
Yep, Burrow showed up in Cincy and within 2 yrs they were in a SB. Of course Burrow blew out his knee so the Bengals could get 1 more yr of high picks, including Chase.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Slim, but there's always a chance they get lucky.

Look at Burrow as an example of a guy with championship level traits. I believe Williams and Maye also have those traits. Quick decision makers that can deliver from the pocket accurately and run as a last resort. His arm must be strong but it doesn't have to be Mahomes/Allen Strong although that's a plus.

Basically a 6'2/6'3 Bryce Young.
Based on that criteria. Dan Marino and Phillip Rivers were championship QBs who never won....a championship? Considering how much Josh Allen runs. Is he a championship QB?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Based on that criteria. Dan Marino and Phillip Rivers were championship QBs who never won....a championship? Considering how much Josh Allen runs. Is he a championship QB?
Rivers no

Marino never had a team around him

Allen better win one in the next 5 yrs because if he keeps playing like he is, his career won't be long.

Remember the good old days when I tried to tell people Allen was as good and would end up being better than Derrick and the responses I got? LMAO

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yep, Burrow showed up in Cincy and within 2 yrs they were in a SB. Of course Burrow blew out his knee so the Bengals could get 1 more yr of high picks, including Chase.
Do you think the Bengals will make it to the AFCCG this year? The SB?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'd draft Phillip Rivers today #1 overall even if I had to trade my entire draft

• Wow
Reactions: JB

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Do you think the Bengals will make it to the AFCCG this year? The SB?
Tell me that Chase and Burrow/Mixon are healthy and I wouldn't doubt it. But probably not. If it was anybody but the Bengals I think they would at least have a couple of SB appearances in the next 5 years.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I have never been more disappointed in a Texans team than this season’s product.

From the very first game conceding the tie. They play not just bad football but boring football. The team overall lacks talent but there are individually talented players getting suffocated by the inept coaching and overall management. Blow it all up I don’t care. This product is unwatchable.

And to top off the game yesterday, which i’ve only seen clips of because I was watching the Nutcracker ballet. (Yes, I found the Nutcracker ballet more important/entertaining than Texans football!)

Ownership and players giving the predator a warm welcome back without a care at all. Unforgivable. Get rid of them all. I hope Crane buys this team.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Two weeks watching from the sidelines might give him some fresh perspective and do him some good but I won't be expecting miracles.
One thing is for sure, he now knows he is under the microscope and on thin ice as starter next season.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Two weeks watching from the sidelines might give him some fresh perspective and do him some good but I won't be expecting miracles.
One thing is for sure, he now knows he is under the microscope and on thin ice as starter next season.
He turned it around last season after the Texans got tired of watching Tyrod. Let’s see if they can catch lightening in the bottle again.