Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Did the Falcons choke job crush the fanbase and push the team out of town? I'm biased, but the Oilers choke job is still the worst.
To this day I still can’t believe they did that. 35-3 and I’m cracking open beers loving life in San Diego and then it happened. So many things had to go perfectly wrong and they did. Missed PIs, stepping out and back in, you name it, unbelievable

Yes you're biased and I agree. But 35-3 didn't push the Oilers out of town.
The voters of Harris County did not want to give $$$ to Bud and the Oilers after that loss. No politicians supported it. Yet they gave new stadiums to the Astros, Rockets, and later the Texans.

The voters of Harris County did not want to give $$$ to Bud and the Oilers after that loss. No politicians supported it. Yet they gave new stadiums to the Astros, Rockets, and later the Texans.
That started with Bud's greedy wanting to renovate the dome again before the first renovation was paid for

That started with Bud's greedy wanting to renovate the dome again before the first renovation was paid for

If you go deep enough down the rabbit hole you'd also find that Bob Lanier railroaded Bud Adams to force his hand so he could give deals to his buddies, especially Uncle Drayton.

Bud was always an outsider in Houston politics, and later in life admitted his biggest regret was moving the Oilers instead of waiting it out and letting Drayton McClane move the Astros first (which he wouldn't have done).

Bud was extremely impatient at a time in Houston when fans were sick of his crap (i.e. 35-3 & Astrodome renovations). He would have eventually gotten his new stadium, but let the local political powers play him instead.

To this day I still can’t believe they did that. 35-3 and I’m cracking open beers loving life in San Diego and then it happened. So many things had to go perfectly wrong and they did. Missed PIs, stepping out and back in, you name it, unbelievable
After all these years. I finally realized that the 35-3 comeback and the Phi Slamma Jamma loss to UNC prepared me well for disappointment from our Houston sports teams.

After all these years. I finally realized that the 35-3 comeback and the Phi Slamma Jamma loss to UNC prepared me well for disappointment from our Houston sports teams.
Renfro, Stagger Lee, Astros-Phillies, Astros-Mets, UH-Notre Dame Cotton Bowl, a ton of preparing for disappointment in this town. And might as well add Fat Albert and Watson turning into a POS. Thank the old gods and the new for the mid 90's Rockets and the current Astros breaking through.

I was cussing Guy Lewis for his ducking foolish 4-Corner offense to burn the clock versus letting his thoroughbreds just put 100 points on Valvano’s NC State.

What I really loved about that tournament, and isn’t discussed much…..the complete annihilation of Louisville and Phi Slamma Jamma’s dunk clinic at the end of the game.

That’s what made the shift to the 4-Corner Offense so incomprehensible in the Championship Game. Guy didn’t use that offense during the Tournament….but dusted the old playbook off for the big game.

Last edited:
Renfro, Stagger Lee, Astros-Phillies, Astros-Mets, UH-Notre Dame Cotton Bowl, a ton of preparing for disappointment in this town. And might as well add Fat Albert and Watson turning into a POS. Thank the old gods and the new for the mid 90's Rockets and the current Astros breaking through.

And don't forget that 35-3 was just one season out of 7 of Oilers playoff seasons.

The year before they had a 24–16 lead in the 4th qtr over the Broncos, only to choke in the last minute for a John Elway superman drive.

The season after 35-3 started off at 1-4, only to go on an 11 game win streak. Buddy Ryan punched Kevin Gilbride on the sideline and the Oilers eventually choked another 4th qtr lead to Joe Montana's Chiefs.

I read an interesting stat on the Texans on the NFL site. The Texans have been either tied or ahead going into the 4th quarter in seven games this season. Now if that isn't a stat you can argue a million different ways I don't know what is. LOL

I read an interesting stat on the Texans on the NFL site. The Texans have been either tied or ahead going into the 4th quarter in seven games this season. Now if that isn't a stat you can argue a million different ways I don't know what is. LOL

I read a stat on the Texans website that said we suck.

It was our record showing our wins, loses, and the lonely tie.

I hear that Cal is personally going to give every player one of these very special stickers:

TryHard.jpg

And don't forget that 35-3 was just one season out of 7 of Oilers playoff seasons.

The year before they had a 24–16 lead in the 4th qtr over the Broncos, only to choke in the last minute for a John Elway superman drive.

The season after 35-3 started off at 1-4, only to go on an 11 game win streak. Buddy Ryan punched Kevin Gilbride on the sideline and the Oilers eventually choked another 4th qtr lead to Joe Montana's Chiefs.
Uggh. That Broncos game. There is a play with about 50 seconds left where Elway scrambles left and looks like he is going to run. Instead of an Oilers DB dropping in coverage, he comes up and the WR is wide open 10-15 yards behind him. Elway easily throws a pass over the DB's head and to the wide open WR.

I don't know if it was a busted coverage and the DB was expecting help over the top from a safety, but a LB ended up chasing the WR. That was the big play that led to the game winning TD. SMDH.

What I really loved about that tournament, and isn’t discussed much…..the complete annihilation of Louisville and Phi Slamma Jamma’s dunk clinic at the end of the game.

That’s what made the shift to the 4-Corner Offense so incomprehensible in the Championship Game. Guy didn’t use that offense during the Tournament….but dusted the old playbook off for the big game.
Larry Micheaux had a bad back and played only 18 minutes, nearly 12 under his average.

Clyde Drexler was saddled with 4 foul in the first half, ending up playing just 15 minutes, 10 fewer than his average.

Alvin Franklin missed the only FT he took, the frond end of a one and one.
(Franklin was a freshman and played like it in that game).

Michael Young was 0-4 at the line.
I don't remember how many was at the front end.

Benny Anders were 2-5 at the line.

I think these were the reasons the Cougars lost that game.
Lewis didn't have a lot of choice.

Reid is getting destroyed for this statement.

Andy Reid Praises Texans' Lovie Smith: 'Just Give Him Time'
If I was a head coach of an opposing team in my conference- and the coach of the other team was horrible… I’d say the same thing, hoping by chance that the ownership and GM would take MY thoughts on the matter into consideration when deciding whether to keep said coach or not.

I respect Lovie… but man he’s got to go and the Texans REALLY need to get the next HC right.

If I was a head coach of an opposing team in my conference- and the coach of the other team was horrible… I’d say the same thing, hoping by chance that the ownership and GM would take MY thoughts on the matter into consideration when deciding whether to keep said coach or not.

I respect Lovie… but man he’s got to go and the Texans REALLY need to get the next HC right.
We moved on from a respected interim head coach wade Phillips and now need to do the same with head coach Smith.

The good old days.

From a Facebook memory on this day in 2019.

"I don't know how many of you are watching Texans football on this Saturday afternoon but so far Tampa Bay has had three possessions, Texans have two interceptions (one a pick six), and a blocked field goal.

Texans - 10
Bucs - 0

Let's go Texans!"

Trying to verify Tunsil named to Pro Bowl. I did not realize it was that time of the season.

Edit
'He's that good': Texans LT Laremy Tunsil deserving of Pro Bowl ... https://www.click2houston.com/sport...emy-tunsil-deserving-of-pro-bowl-recognition/

Larry Micheaux had a bad back and played only 18 minutes, nearly 12 under his average.

Clyde Drexler was saddled with 4 foul in the first half, ending up playing just 15 minutes, 10 fewer than his average.

Also, the game was at elevation in Albuquerque. The Coogs had just played the game of the year 48 hours earlier. They were gassed. Play that game 5 times and Phi Slamma Jamma wins 4. But you only get to play once at the dance.

Are Those possible free agents for the texans this year?

Also, the game was at elevation in Albuquerque. The Coogs had just played the game of the year 48 hours earlier. They were gassed. Play that game 5 times and Phi Slamma Jamma wins 4. But you only get to play once at the dance.
I had rewatched the game several times.

I rewatched it again yesterday.

The four-corner offense actually generated points.

It was the defense that was lacking.

And other things that we all had mentioned.

Franklin played like a freshman.
He was bailed out several times, mostly by Olajuwon.

But he made a mistake after an inbound pass toward the end of the game, throwing a lazy pass to Getty after the inbound that NC State stealed and converted.

NC St purposefully fouled him, and he missed the front end of the one and one.

Drexler's foul trouble (some of the calls were tacky or made no sense) put Benny Anders in.
Benny might be Mr. Instant Offense, but his defense was really subpar.
He wouldn't find too many minutes on the current team.

Olajuwon needed the oxygen mask.
If that game was played in a venue on the plain, he could have saved the game all by himself.
He covered so many mistakes, but he's still human.
But we have to remember that every time he covered for his teammates, he spent energy exerting himself.

Years ago, I also thought Guy didn't do the team a favor going with the four corner, but the more I rewatched and learned about the circumstances, I believe he did the right thing.

Jalen Pitre was fined $21,118 for unnecessary roughness for hit on JuJu Smith-Schuster during overtime loss to Chiefs. An appeal is expected.

Interesting #1 team. Also the link on that page "cost to get Payton from N.O. possible lower cost than some think. Possible not probable. Note that Brady could be interested in following Payton.

Could that be the 'splash' mentioned to some fans?

Interesting #1 team. Also the link on that page "cost to get Payton from N.O. possible lower cost than some think. Possible not probable. Note that Brady could be interested in following Payton.

Could that be the 'splash' mentioned to some fans?

I think Sean Payton would be an awesome addition, but he may not want to endure the final two seasons of this rebuild.

If the Cowboys faultered this season, Jones may clear the slate to make Payton his new HC. The Cowboys are built, maybe Payton is the missing piece.

This may be a little controversial, but if the Cardinals were to dump Kingsbury…..he could be an interesting young HC for the Texans. He’d certainly bring an up-tempo offense to the table. He’d also be inheriting a Texans defense that is slowly developing an attitude which may be due to Harris, Pitre, and Greenard getting up to speed. Stingley will not disappoint next season, but should only get better with an improved front 7.

I also believe Caserio (46) and Kingsbury (43) could be a perfect match since both are former QB’s and roughly the same age. They could get on the same page in a hurry.

If Kingsbury was to bring his Up-Tempo (Run-N-Shoot) offense to Houston, would it be a horrible idea to sign Case Keenum (UFA) to come in and compete within an offense he’s completely familiar with or mentor Mills in its nuances? This new offense and the pieces that could be in place would certainly set the team up to make a play for USC QB, Caleb Williams.

Kingsbury and Keenum could be had for a very reasonable bounty, which the McNair’s should be more than happy with. Maybe the moves could convince JJ Watt to return and finish his career as a Texan.

I think Sean Payton would be an awesome addition, but he may not want to endure the final two seasons of this rebuild.

If the Cowboys faultered this season, Jones may clear the slate to make Payton his new HC. The Cowboys are built, maybe Payton is the missing piece.

This may be a little controversial, but if the Cardinals were to dump Kingsbury…..he could be an interesting young HC for the Texans. He’d certainly bring an up-tempo offense to the table. He’d also be inheriting a Texans defense that is slowly developing an attitude which may be due to Harris, Pitre, and Greenard getting up to speed. Stingley will not disappoint next season, but should only get better with an improved front 7.

I also believe Caserio (46) and Kingsbury (43) could be a perfect match since both are former QB’s and roughly the same age. They could get on the same page in a hurry.

If Kingsbury was to bring his Up-Tempo (Run-N-Shoot) offense to Houston, would it be a horrible idea to sign Case Keenum (UFA) to come in and compete within an offense he’s completely familiar with or mentor Mills in its nuances? This new offense and the pieces that could be in place would certainly set the team up to make a play for USC QB, Caleb Williams.

Kingsbury and Keenum could be had for a very reasonable bounty, which the McNair’s should be more than happy with. Maybe the moves could convince JJ Watt to return and finish his career as a Texan.
As always i enjoy the discussion. I would be open to Kingsbury as offensive Coordinator but I do not think As head coach.
Perhaps with the Texans draft picks and salary cap, Sean Payton might not think it will take 2 years to rebuild? Does he want to go to Dallas after losing a round one For saints to give him up?

No to case Keenum and To Watt unless he wants to be defensive line coach.

Seriously OT, I reckon a couple of decent FA vets added to both sides of the ball with some promising rookies as well will make us competitive for the division next season - even moreso if we have Sean Payton in here.
The team is playing some of their best football this last few games so have something to build on.

Seriously OT, I reckon a couple of decent FA vets added to both sides of the ball with some promising rookies as well will make us competitive for the division next season - even moreso if we have Sean Payton in here.
The team is playing some of their best football this last few games so have something to build on.

Past year success does not guarantee future results.

Signed,

Last year’s Texans playing their best football down the stretch.

Kubiak’s Texans pre Watt scratching and clawing their way to .500 down the stretch after their trademark slow starts.

Jeff Fisher and his 9-7 bull****

Back