Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Earl34

Hall of Fame
"My sources" was simply a reference to where the information came from.............naming them was certainly not a critical point/prediction since we all knew the final accurate information was coming down within 24 hours. Anyone in the least bit interested and following the story in the media would have known right off the bat who the "sources" I was referring might be. But I was sure that someone as learned about these things as you would have already known that.........making the obviously critical blah blah blah post an unnecessary swipe.
No unnecessary swipe intended. I guess I should have used George Costanza's "yadda, yadda, yadda"

SnakeEyes

Under NRG

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I remember seeing a clip of Caserio talking about length not mattering at a certain position prior to the draft. It appears based on the roster makeup that he was referring to DBs. Specifically CB.

Stingley 30 5/8” arms. 22nd percentile of all CBs.

Steven Nelson also 30 5/8” arms.

Recently re-signed Desmond King 31 1/8” arms

Tavierre Thomas 30 1/2” arms.

Add in round 2 37th overall Safety Pitre. 30 5/8” arms 16th percentile all Safeties.

And recent signee M.J. Stewart 31 1/4” arms 42nd percentile.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
The Texans are clearly prioritizing explosion/speed over length. But I can’t help but think the Colts will be presenting them with a bad matchup with their offseason counter prioritizing size/length at their skill positions.

michaelm

vox nihili
I remember seeing a clip of Caserio talking about length not mattering at a certain position prior to the draft. It appears based on the roster makeup that he was referring to DBs. Specifically CB.

Stingley 30 5/8” arms. 22nd percentile of all CBs.

Steven Nelson also 30 5/8” arms.

Recently re-signed Desmond King 31 1/8” arms

Tavierre Thomas 30 1/2” arms.

Add in round 2 37th overall Safety Pitre. 30 5/8” arms 16th percentile all Safeties.

And recent signee M.J. Stewart 31 1/4” arms 42nd percentile.
That's interesting. I remember Obrien and Rick Smith being infatuated with length.
There was an episode of Hard Knocks where they were debating on which of two DBs to cut, and if I remember right, Smith won out based on the two players being similar but one having more length.
That might have been when Charles James was cut

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
That's interesting. I remember Obrien and Rick Smith being infatuated with length.
There was an episode of Hard Knocks where they were debating on which of two DBs to cut, and if I remember right, Smith won out based on the two players being similar but one having more length.
That might have been when Charles James was cut
Correct. Charles James was cut due to inferior arm length but later made the team again due to ST skills like he should have the first time.

Interested to see how this almost “anti analytics” approach pans out. Teams across the league prioritize length at various positions including DB. Lovie and Caserio seem to be going with the approach of, “Give me a good football player regardless of length.” There are plenty of exceptions out there but I am a bit surprised they are fielding an entire positional unit of exceptions.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Texansballer74

The Marine

badboy

Hall of Fame
We were the 3rd worst team in the league last year. Just a little improvement makes us only the 5th or 6th worst team.
So we are to assume that by getting better we automatically get wins? We also assume that we are the only team that will get better? Might want to check out some of those gambling sites who make their living off of predicting wins and losses for NFL teams. I have yet to see one that has Texans better than third-worst in draft.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Over the weekend listening to two guys out of Cleveland discussing Mayfield's contract. The question was if Browns agreed to pay remaining 18 million what draft pick could they get in return. The thought was ask for a round two but accept a round 3.

pirbroke

Veteran
Over the weekend listening to two guys out of Cleveland discussing Mayfield's contract. The question was if Browns agreed to pay remaining 18 million what draft pick could they get in return. The thought was ask for a round two but accept a round 3.
So if a team does that which team takes the cap hit? The one paying or the one he plays for? Just curious how that works

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Round 3 is about right. If I was Ruhle I would be, hey man Baker come on down. play well and you're our guy. If he isn't, Corral is waiting in the wings.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Who is this guy talking to Burkhead?

B7FDB4A3-A7C8-4A6F-944D-A37460834CB1.jpeg

is he still here? He was always talking to Culley & offensive players on the sideline

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Who is this guy talking to Burkhead?

View attachment 10150

is he still here? He was always talking to Culley & offensive players on the sideline
So this guy is Frank Ross. The ST Coach. He was very much involved in the offense last year. I thought he was an offensive assistant. He was always in Culley's ear (probably a little hand holding). But anyway to answer my question he is still here. I wonder if we'll see him as active with the offense in 2022.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
So this guy is Frank Ross. The ST Coach. He was very much involved in the offense last year. I thought he was an offensive assistant. He was always in Culley's ear (probably a little hand holding). But anyway to answer my question he is still here. I wonder if we'll see him as active with the offense in 2022.
Its not uncommon for teams to assign ST coaches extra duties like “when to challenge, when to call a timeout, when to go for it”. Also a reason when a coach is fired midseason the ST coach is usually the interim HC. The OC/DC are often absorbed in their specific side of the ball while the ST acts as a direct assistant to the HC.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Sounded nice but this aint Madden and we can’t make players want to sign. Dang that CB room would’ve rivaled any other team’s in the league though!

Dan Duggan of TheAthletic.come reports that the Giants had agreed to trade Bradberry to Houston for a late-round pick, but that idea got scrapped when the Texans and Bradberry could not agree on contract terms. Bradberry is in the final year of his current deal and an extension would lessen the cap hit the Giants were trying to avoid, but Bradberry was not interested in an extended stay in Houston.
Interesting to see Bradberry signed for 1 year $10M with Philly.
I would guess he walked away from a fair chunk to avoid the Texans. May pay off when he hits FA next year, though.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Interesting to see Bradberry signed for 1 year $10M with Philly.
I would guess he walked away from a fair chunk to avoid the Texans. May pay off when he hits FA next year, though.
Aaron Wilson reported they were roughly 5 million/year apart in negotiations. Assuming Bradberry wanted 13 million that would put Texans max offer at 8 million.

Texans were going to make him take a pay cut just like the Eagles did from his previous salary.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Don't think he had to avoid Texans as I doubt they wanted his poor catch rate.
Referring to James Bradberry CB who was cut by NYG. There were reports a week or so ago that the Texans had a trade in place for him much earlier in the off-season that fell apart because they couldn’t come to terms on an extension.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Aaron Wilson reported they were roughly 5 million/year apart in negotiations. Assuming Bradberry wanted 13 million that would put Texans max offer at 8 million.

Texans were going to make him take a pay cut just like the Eagles did from his previous salary.
Around 2 years 17 million was Texans and Jets offers… both vetoed by Bradberry. And both teams then drafted CB round 1.