Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Imagine if you can that the Texans did draft Bortles,

In 2015 the Texans wouldn't of had to go thru hell of the Hoyer and Mallett carousel while Bortles had more TD passes than Texans QBs combined.

In 2016 the Texans wouldn't of had to go through that awful Osweiler fiasco, saved tons of money and draft picks too while Bortles was throwing for 35 TDs.

In 2017 Bortles may have been able to get the Texans to the AFC Championship game like he did the Jags. A place the Texans are not familiar and have never been. Bortles would've prevented the Texans from drafting a perverted sexual predator as the face of the franchise

Not to mention that Bortles 103 TDs were much more productive than Clowney's 32 sacks......Just saying

View attachment 8713
Agreed

This still doesn't make Bortles a very good QB.

Jimmy G was the best QB by far in that draft. It was a bad yr to need to draft a QB.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Agreed

This still doesn't make Bortles a very good QB.

Jimmy G was the best QB by far in that draft. It was a bad yr to need to draft a QB.
Had we drafted Garrapolo we would be talking about how Bill O Brien screwed up a good qb with promise.

We would have a different type of misery than we do right now, however unique this misery is. I am still hoping we can get a at least 2 first round picks for Watson. That is essentially what we spent to get him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Had we drafted Garrapolo we would be talking about how Bill O Brien screwed up a good qb with promise.

We would have a different type of misery than we do right now, however unique this misery is. I am still hoping we can get a at least 2 first round picks for Watson. That is essentially what we spent to get him.
Did he screw DW4 up?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
He went all in on protecting DW4 both by the Tunsil trade and draft picks to improve the OL. What he couldn't improve was Devlin, nor for some strange reason would BOB fire Devlin.
Pretty similar scenario to Kubiak hiring his buddies Richard Smith and Frank Bush as DC until he finally was forced to get a competent DC... Son of Bum

Except OB was never forced to get a competent OL coach. For some reason he became GM though!

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I wonder if the Texans will be receiving a call from the Broncos for Roderick Johnson in exchange for a player or pick... the Texans are actually deep at OT and imo Johnson can be a low end starter for some team. Would be good value for Texans if slick Nick can convince them to send the team a pick or player for who would be a starter for the Broncos!

Texian

Hall of Fame
Every team without a 1st rd pick was ranked at the bottom. It stands to reason that since the Texans didn't have their 1st/2nd rd picks they would be at the bottom.
Nice try you get an A for effort but the Raiders and the Saints had first RD picks and KC who did not have a 1st RD was ranked 15th.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Every team without a 1st rd pick was ranked at the bottom. It stands to reason that since the Texans didn't have their 1st/2nd rd picks they would be at the bottom.
Sometimes you know what the student is capable of before you the test is given. So if there is any doubt my grade of D (1.88) was pretty much spot on. As you can see it wasn't just me. The Texans graded out with the worst draft in the league. Believe what you eyes are telling you and stop drinking the kool aid. This is not a one time event it will happen again.

View attachment 8706View attachment 8706
His original post in another thread had fewer people grading teams which had the worst grades teams with no first round draft pick. His new post has more people who are less reputable.

There is that saying:

There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics. Or Texians posts. All the same.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don’t understand the pick. Not a big fan of it. But I think it’s funny how he questions the Texans “Russell Wilson” model while saying they should have followed the “Dj Reader” model.

I mean 9 times out of 10, that QB is not going to ever be a Super Bowl MVP, but 7 times out of 10 that DT doesn’t get to a 2nd contract.

Davis Mills does not ever need to be a top 10 QB in the league. Imagine Tyrod Taylor plays middle of the pack, top 16 or so in 2021 & 2022. Davis Mills plays a game or two in 2022, possible starter 2023. & he plays 16ish~20ish.

2022 draft, 2023 draft multiple 1st, 2nd, & third round picks you can have a monster defense, then in 2024 draft your QB with a solid OL that already knows what to do. Already knows what the guy next to him is going to do. Receivers already know the scheme, the lingo, the adjustments.
I’d just replace Tyrod with another journeyman if I had to for 2023. But I can see the benefit of “grooming” that guy instead.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
(1) NFL Insider confirms ALARMING power dynamics within the Texans organization - YouTube
Again, I find it ironic a guy like LZ saying who is qualified for what. I mean if he wants to tell me who the most talented long snapper is or who ran the most consistent routes last season, fine.

But he’s no more qualified to tell me who should be in a war room or who shouldn’t than Geraldo is. Not his wheelhouse.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I don’t understand the pick. Not a big fan of it. But I think it’s funny how he questions the Texans “Russell Wilson” model while saying they should have followed the “Dj Reader” model.

I mean 9 times out of 10, that QB is not going to ever be a Super Bowl MVP, but 7 times out of 10 that DT doesn’t get to a 2nd contract.

Davis Mills does not ever need to be a top 10 QB in the league. Imagine Tyrod Taylor plays middle of the pack, top 16 or so in 2021 & 2022. Davis Mills plays a game or two in 2022, possible starter 2023. & he plays 16ish~20ish.

2022 draft, 2023 draft multiple 1st, 2nd, & third round picks you can have a monster defense, then in 2024 draft your QB with a solid OL that already knows what to do. Already knows what the guy next to him is going to do. Receivers already know the scheme, the lingo, the adjustments.
I’d just replace Tyrod with another journeyman if I had to for 2023. But I can see the benefit of “grooming” that guy instead.

I've been wondering what the team would look like had they just held on to Fitzmagic after OB's first season instead of the clown car of Hoyer, Mallet, Osweiller, Savage oh my! They could've invested more FA $ into building the team rather than hopping from QB to QB if they had just stuck with Fitzy and he has proven to be more than serviceable even at this point in his career. Maybe this era's Doug Flutie.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I've been wondering what the team would look like had they just held on to Fitzmagic after OB's first season instead of the clown car of Hoyer, Mallet, Osweiller, Savage oh my! They could've invested more FA $ into building the team rather than hopping from QB to QB if they had just stuck with Fitzy and he has proven to be more than serviceable even at this point in his career. Maybe this era's Doug Flutie.
I find it funny that we let go a Harvard graduate to try to find another QB that could run the complex offense of OB. You know that “always run on first and second down for little to no gain” offense.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I've really enjoyed the SportsMap Houston YouTube videos, especially about the Texans.

Most of them have the same irreverent and cynical attitude about this franchise that I have. The no pom pom waving zone.

Again, I find it ironic a guy like LZ saying who is qualified for what. I mean if he wants to tell me who the most talented long snapper is or who ran the most consistent routes last season, fine.

But he’s no more qualified to tell me who should be in a war room or who shouldn’t than Geraldo is. Not his wheelhouse.
And Jack Easterby is even less qualified than LZ to be in a war room, but there he is, covering Cal with his buttery stupid platitudes. "Red fish blue fish Easterby's a doofus."

It's okay to be a fan and not like every single aspect of the franchise.

So it appears as thought Lance either hit a nerve or he pissed in the Kool Aid punch bowl. :)
I most just ignore the Easterboys unless I poke them with a stick. There is literally no reason to defend the guy except perhaps to be contrarian. And I just don't care enough to bother with it anymore. He's here and seems to be the new BFF of the idiot owner.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I've really enjoyed the SportsMap Houston YouTube videos, especially about the Texans.

Most of them have the same irreverent and cynical attitude about this franchise that I have. The no pom pom waving zone.

And Jack Easterby is even less qualified than LZ to be in a war room, but there he is, covering Cal with his buttery stupid platitudes. "Red fish blue fish Easterby's a doofus."

I most just ignore the Easterboys unless I poke them with a stick. There is literally no reason to defend the guy except perhaps to be contrarian. And I just don't care enough to bother with it anymore. He's here and seems to be the new BFF of the idiot owner.
Easterby in the warroom means precisely squat.
FO personnel, friends and even family members can be in attendance at a warroom.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Easterby in the warroom means precisely squat.
FO personnel, friends and even family members can be in attendance at a warroom.
Who are you kidding? Easterby is the executive vice president of football operations for the Houston Texans. He's one of their high level executives. :bunpan:

He's obviously much, much more than just a friend. You're fooling yourself if you think that position has no influence in this organization.

But whatever. Caserio has two clowns to deal with every day. His problem, not mine. Hopefully, he's his own man.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Who are you kidding? Easterby is the executive vice president of football operations for the Houston Texans. He's one of their high level executives. :bunpan:

He's obviously much, much more than just a friend. You're fooling yourself if you think that position has no influence in this organization.

But whatever. Caserio has two clowns to deal with every day. His problem, not mine. Hopefully, he's his own man.
After seeing the FA/Draft periods, it looks to me that Caserio has final say on personnel moves.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Agreed. To take it a step further, what if the kept Kubiak’s OL together for a couple more years. Instead of trying to find replacement level with draft picks (2nd round picks) & FA dollars.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Totally missed the point.

plenty of talking heads with FO experience. If one of them were to comment on Easterby’s lack of qualification that would be good “evidence” to prove the point.

But to have a wannabe scout wax on about Easterby sounds like sour grapes to me.

Neither argument has any bearing on my opinion about the situation. I’m talking about strength of evidence. So retorting that Easterby isn’t qualified to be where he is misses the point.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
On it’s own, I don’t think it’s an issue. I mean you trade up to get the guys you want.

But... he didn’t sign a dozen UDFAs to compensate so I am confused.

Clint Stoerner said it is a good contrast to the way the other Belichick clerk did it. BO’b (really Rick Smith for the most part) was mostly inactive during FA & we’d get a bunch of UDFAs in here to weed out during camp.

Now, we’ve got a bunch of guys who played in the league who will be weeded out.

He argues it should improve our depth.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

Easterby himself said he wants no part of drafts - according to Caserio.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Agreed. To take it a step further, what if the kept Kubiak’s OL together for a couple more years. Instead of trying to find replacement level with draft picks (2nd round picks) & FA dollars.
Well since Newton tore his achillies/Briesel had ankle injuries after he signed as a FA in Oakland, Smith and Myers retired within 2 yrs it probably wouldn't have turned out well.