Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Maybe, but I've seen this once before. Aaron Brooks.

Wound up an avg QB, because he wanted to be a pocket passer. His coach wasn't stopping him from running & was better than avg from the pocket. But without making plays with his legs... not good enough.

& that was back when 3,000 yard seasons was something.

I hope Watson's issue is something else, something that left the building.
I think the bold is a big part of it. You can make all the comparisons, Aaron Brooks et al., all you want. You can’t overlook or underestimate OB’s track record of misusing talent.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Haven’t the foggiest, but that average has gone down every single year. And now it’s nearly nonexistent.

I can only speculate that someone has been drilling it into him not to run. Rarely see designed runs anymore.

For a QB with the ability a Watson has with his legs not to use them, is a damn crime. Maybe it’s the same guy who goes and gets speedy RBs and tries to play a smash mouth run game, or getting speedy WRs and tears out the quick slant plays out of the playbook. Who knows?
Blame game is in full effect.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Defensive line: C-

Linebackers: B-

Zach Cunningham has a team-high 43 tackles and Benardrick McKinney is second with 37.

Cornerbacks: B-
Wow! Defensive grades are way too high. If you’re grading the LBs that high just because they’ve collected a bunch of tackles, that’s a messed up grading system. They get a whole lot more opportunities to tackle and a whole lot of those are after big gains.

The secondary really hasn’t been thrown into the fire yet. 3rd fewest pass attempts because of the team’s run failures. But when they are passed on they have the 7th worst completion percentage allowed and the 2nd worst passer rating against.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Thanks for posting - that is a lot of B's and C's for an 0-4 team that hasn't looked good in any of their games, I'm not sure I have seen a B on the team this year.
I was about to write the same. Mark Lane (the author of the two articles CND cited) made mention that the Texans are last in the league in rushing and stopping the run yet neither the RB’s or the D-line received F’s.

Coaching got a C- and he wrote that with O’Brien out of the way we’ll learn whether Tim Kelley has it or doesn’t. It’s not all on TK. The players still have to execute and so far they’ve been inconsistent, at best, in executing the plays called.

Watson, to me anyway, I’m sure some will disagree has not earned a B+ which is what Mark Lane gave him. Watson has been sacked a league leading 16 sacks and a lot of those were of his own making. Taking those sacks have been drive killers because unlike their opponents, the Texans offense rarely recovers from negative plays.

He didn’t give any group an A so I give him credit.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Wow! Defensive grades are way too high. If you’re grading the LBs that high just because they’ve collected a bunch of tackles, that’s a messed up grading system. They get a whole lot more opportunities to tackle and a whole lot of those are after big gains.

The secondary really hasn’t been thrown into the fire yet. 3rd fewest pass attempts because of the team’s run failures. But when they are passed on they have the 7th worst completion percentage allowed and the 2nd worst passer rating against.
Yep. I was going to write a second comment on the defensive grades and the DC. Mark Lane misses on every grade, IMO.

I give Mark Lane a D- in his grading scale. If I didn’t know better I would have thought the articles were written by John Harris.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Missed a game recently and was wondering when and why Scharping was replaced at LG by Kelemete: poor play ?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Doc, why a kicker, any rumors of injuries/illness to Care Bear or Anger? I see working these guys out so you have a plan in case, but signing one...? Curious
Anger has had groin problems in the past. I'm afraid that's the most likely reason for signing a kicker. Groin injuries are not just a day or two injury. But if this is the case, we are likely to see an additional move prior to Sunday's game.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
A multitude of things.

Starting with much of the media covering this team being put in place by the franchise itself. These people are part of the marketing firm.
Then there's guys like McClain who have spent 20 years building relationships .... He has no links to this team in the early days that he had with the Oilers before they left. You don't throw away 20 years of work ...
For some others , its their access to information that's at stake. That's their job - who's going to throw that away & risk being blackballed in their profession.

This particular story would make the Texans the laughing stock of the league .... I mean its little league stuff. Absolutely hilarious the things that influence grown men.
One has to assume that the team made it clear this wasn't to get out , particularly when you realize who the but of the jokes would be , this marketing firm won't allow that.
In all the years of following the Houston Oilers, all the books I've read about the team, all the stories that McClain and others have told about that franchise that I've heard over the years. . .

Bud Adams never made a personnel decision based on such a weak-ass bunch of nonsense as I've heard with regards to the Texans giving away Nuk.

It honestly makes me start to look at the owners with a bit of contempt, all things considered.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
In all the years of following the Houston Oilers, all the books I've read about the team, all the stories that McClain and others have told about that franchise that I've heard over the years. . .

Bud Adams never made a personnel decision based on such a weak-ass bunch of nonsense as I've heard with regards to the Texans giving away Nuk.

It honestly makes me start to look at the owners with a bit of contempt, all things considered.
Our present ownership is just as inept as the Oilers, but in a different way. It's why I said the only way a Texan team wins the SB is by accident. Bud Adams was just a horrible and despicable person, the McNairs are nice guys but don't seem very football savvy. Either way it doesn't make for "good ownership" IMO.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Our present ownership is just as inept as the Oilers, but in a different way. It's why I said the only way a Texan team wins the SB is by accident. Bud Adams was just a horrible and despicable person, the McNairs are nice guys but don't seem very football savvy. Either way it doesn't make for "good ownership" IMO.
Yep. I agree. McNairs are clearly nicer people and have a better marketing machine. And a 1000% better gameday experience. Bud's goons ran us off in the parking lot before a game just for tossing a ball around. We probably would have been arrested if we had opened a cooler.

But, like Adams, the McNair's football decisions are just another chapter in the H-town legacy of "wtf did we ever do to deserve this?". :mcnugget:

It’s got to be the curse of the dome. Need to tear that thing down.
I've always joked about the 'dome being built on ancient Native American burial grounds. Oilers and Astros move and both finally go to championship games. :hmmm:

I did do some peyote at a Pink Floyd concert at the Astrodome in the '80's, and I'm pretty sure I found out that my spirit animal is a stray cat. Pure conjecture, but I think I'm onto (or on?) something.

badboy

Hall of Fame
A multitude of things.

Starting with much of the media covering this team being put in place by the franchise itself. These people are part of the marketing firm.
Then there's guys like McClain who have spent 20 years building relationships .... He has no links to this team in the early days that he had with the Oilers before they left. You don't throw away 20 years of work ...
For some others , its their access to information that's at stake. That's their job - who's going to throw that away & risk being blackballed in their profession.

This particular story would make the Texans the laughing stock of the league .... I mean its little league stuff. Absolutely hilarious the things that influence grown men.
One has to assume that the team made it clear this wasn't to get out , particularly when you realize who the but of the jokes would be , this marketing firm won't allow that.
agree

mws

Rookie
The Texans are on the hook for 12.3 million dollars for David Johnson no matter what they do. 10.2 million this year & 2.1 million next year. That does not include Duke Johnson's salary. Can they afford anymore on running backs?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Care Bear is doing a fine job kicking compared to a lot in the NFL. Other than noticing a few well placed out-of-bounds kicks by the punter, I have no idea about him. Can't even think of his name right now.